PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Bounce....

simmsy
3rd September 2008, 10:07 PM
Firstly, not sure if this is quiet in the right forum so apologies if not.:?
I was wanting to know thoughts on the bounce of a sand wedge.
I recently started at a new club and the sand in their green side bunkers is fairly firm and I am having trouble getting out of them. It feels like my SW is bouncing off the sand and the result is I'm catching most shots a bit thin.
I am using a 56* wedge with 12* of bounce.
Would I be better off using a wedge with say 6* of bounce out of firm sanded bunkers??
I would say I am usually pretty good out of the bunkers, never really had any dramas with them until now. Either something in my downswing has changed or the club needs some fine tuning I think.

Don't worry about it, I just read Virge's post and that explains what I was wanting.
Great post by the way Virge!!!

Cheers

Simmsy..;)

Grunt
3rd September 2008, 10:20 PM
I play my lob wedge out of firmer bunkers, not sure if it right it is what i do.

adlo
3rd September 2008, 11:41 PM
Simmsy, I struggle with my sand wedge out of firm bunkers or wet bunkers (56/14) and grab my lobby (60/10ish) and only open the clubface a little bit and it works a treat. It is the only reason I carry the lob wedge. In summer it will be demoted.

simmsy
3rd September 2008, 11:46 PM
Cheers Adam.
Yeah I might try using my LW out of the bunkers a bit more.

simmsy..

addamsmith
7th September 2008, 05:28 AM
Hi Simmsy
If you are playing firm or wet sand, use your lob wedge but square the club face. The reason is you want to cut the club face into the sand. If you open the face up this adds bounce. The idea of wet or firm sand is less bounce ( more dig).Also make sure you keep the weight on the left side ( as long as you are right handed)What this does is produce a sharper V style swing.
Just remember
Soft sand more bounce " between 12/14 degrees of bounce
Hard or wet sand " between 6/10 degrees of bounce
Hope this helps
Addam

simmsy
7th September 2008, 04:36 PM
Yep thanks Addam.
Played on Friday and used my LW (60/06) and worked a treat landed in 5 bunkers and got up and down in 4 of them so happy with that.

cheers

simmsy..

Bungeye
16th October 2008, 03:38 PM
bunkers where I play are usually fairly firm, and my 56º SW with 12º of bounce did the same thing. Got a 58/9º in the same wedge, bent it to 56º, voila, bounce of 7º and it's all good.

Can't bring myself to carry a LW, gets me in more trouble than it solves!

Flowergirl
29th October 2008, 10:20 PM
Read this thread the other day. Put it into the memory bank - played in some very firm bunkers today - used to 60 wedge instead of the sand wedge - and it worked a treat. Thanks guys.;)