PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

Grunt
3rd September 2008, 03:54 PM
How many of us are giving this a go? I have tried it and I like it so far. Only had a few problems so far today.
Could not open some links in a page for some reason.

Fishman Dan
3rd September 2008, 03:56 PM
Been using it all day. Works great, can't fault it.

Grunt
3rd September 2008, 03:58 PM
Reckon Google updater will drop Firefox now it has its own Internet platform?

poidda
3rd September 2008, 04:05 PM
Been using it all day. Works great, can't fault it.

Same

Fishman Dan
3rd September 2008, 04:26 PM
Reckon Google updater will drop Firefox now it has its own Internet platform?

Google is all about advertising. The more browsers that support their add-ins, the better.

AndyP
3rd September 2008, 04:31 PM
I was disappointed that my other google stuff isn't integrated in yet, especially bookmarks and email, but surely they'll come along later.

There's been no problems with use and it seems fast too.

Hooker
3rd September 2008, 07:34 PM
Love it.

Colin
3rd September 2008, 11:09 PM
What's this? New browser?

I dunno, I'm liking the new firefox, and I don't trust google - their toolbar thingy is basically spyware, and I imagine this would have some of that in there too, even if it's not immediately apparent.

Col

AndyP
4th September 2008, 09:01 AM
I read an article yesterday about current browser use. It was something like 62% IE, 26% Firefox, 12% other (a guy at work uses Avant).

I get the feeling that the introduction of Chrome may not affect the use of IE too much. Those of us who are now using Chrome seem to have already been using Firefox, because we are already aware of different browsers. Most of those that use IE, use it because it was supplied with their OS and don't know anything different, and therefore are unlikely to change to Chrome.

Scottt
4th September 2008, 09:23 AM
True AP, though Chrome has received a lot more publicity in one day than I have ever seen for Firefox. Firefox seems to have been more of an in the know thing for the nerds.

Grunt
4th September 2008, 09:33 AM
Only real bad thing is that Windows update needs to have IE on your computer to work. So you end up having a copy of IE on your system too.

AndyP
4th September 2008, 09:39 AM
Only if you are silly enough to use Windows in the first place, Grunt. ;)

Grunt
4th September 2008, 09:43 AM
PC's would still have a majority here AP. I know Mac's are getting more popular but have not knocked the PC off the top yet.

poidda
4th September 2008, 09:58 AM
PC's would still have a majority here AP. I know Mac's are getting more popular but have not knocked the PC off the top yet.

And never will IMO. PCs are just to standardised which is what the majority of companies like. There's just no way companies will spend the money to replace windows let alone retrain staff who are forced to use computers. 90% of all computer users would use email and browsing only. They don't really care about the gadgets.

Scottt
4th September 2008, 10:21 AM
Poidda, you're right. many newsrooms I have worked in have used PCs for stuff like writing stories and Macs for anything creative.

3oneday
4th September 2008, 10:23 AM
What is google chrome ?

chappy1970
4th September 2008, 10:35 AM
I downloaded and installed last night, I like it.

Work has blocked the install though, bloody nazi's

poidda
4th September 2008, 12:23 PM
Here's an interesting read.

Burned by Chrome
Your copyright goes up in smoke
By Chris Mellor → More by this author
Published Wednesday 3rd September 2008 13:39 GMT
Nail down your security priorities. Ask the experts and your peers at The Register Security Debate, September 24 2008.

Astute Reg readers have pointed out a Chrome condition of service that effectively lets Google use any of your copyrighted material posted to the web via Chrome without paying you a cent.

Here's the relevant section 11.1 of the Chrome EULA:

11. Content licence from you
Click here to find out more!

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Granting Google 'a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through' Chrome is coming it rich.

Suppose Google does this to material you have posted that's not yours? No problem. It has a get-out-of-jail card signed by you in section 11.4 of the EULA:

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.

But you may be posting material via Chrome to your employer's site and it owns the copyright of anything you create in work time. What then if Google adapts, modifies and distributes it? Your fan has brown stuff all over it but none of it sticks to Google.

Back in 2001, El Reg first revealed how Microsoft's new single sign-on Passport, used for all its web services including Hotmail, also appeared to grab your intellectual property. Microsoft issued a reworded Terms of Use a few days later. Similar land-grabs have been attempted other operators including MySpace, amongst others.

Copyright-sensitive sysadms may banish Chrome from their networks because of this. Google's been asked how it fits in with its general 'Do no evil' ethic but wasn't immediately able to respond - because they're not in their office yet.®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/google_chrome_eula_sucks/

Moe Norman
4th September 2008, 06:43 PM
Only real bad thing is that Windows update needs to have IE on your computer to work. So you end up having a copy of IE on your system too.
so what?

you don't need to get rid of IE to use another browser

Grunt
4th September 2008, 09:09 PM
sort of defeats the purpose if you are doing it to save computer space etc.

Fishman Dan
4th September 2008, 09:25 PM
I bought an 80 Gb hard disk 6 years ago in my home PC. It's still not full. I can spare another 15 mb for another browser.

Come to think of it, I've got 4 on my work notebook - IE, Firefox, Safari and now Chrome ;)

poidda
22nd September 2008, 08:46 AM
I've reverted back to Firefox for the time being. Yahoo Mail shortcuts don't work for some reason. (quite possibly because yahoo and google are competitors)

Fishman Dan
22nd September 2008, 08:51 AM
Ditto on the revert. For me it was the 'hasty' scrolling - either using a touchpad or the scroll-wheel.

Grunt
22nd September 2008, 02:53 PM
I've reverted back to Firefox for the time being. Yahoo Mail shortcuts don't work for some reason. (quite possibly because yahoo and google are competitors)

Ditto on the revert. For me it was the 'hasty' scrolling - either using a touchpad or the scroll-wheel.

For some reason the Desktop PC does not like it at all and the laptop scoll is too fast. Back to Mozilla here too

Minor_Threat
22nd September 2008, 05:50 PM
As Poidda has pointed out, make sure you read the EULA!

Whatever you type in to the browser or pages you visit belongs to googlesoft..

**** that!

kev
22nd September 2008, 06:28 PM
They changed it MT

Here's an official response from Rebecca Ward, Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome:

"In order to keep things simple for our users, we try to use the same set of legal terms (our Universal Terms of Service) for many of our products. Sometimes, as in the case of Google Chrome, this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don't apply well to the use of that product. We are working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome."

The EULA for international (read non US) users is also being changed, but may take a while to filter down.

The US EULA (http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html) currently shows section 11.1 as:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

Minor_Threat
22nd September 2008, 06:37 PM
11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

I still read that as the user retaining copyright yes, but does it make any mention that they are free to use the content anywhere?

Grunt
27th June 2009, 08:23 AM
Has this got any better lately?

Is anyone on here still using it?

I have been tempted once again but it just was not stable enough last time.

Fishman Dan
27th June 2009, 09:22 AM
No.

henno
27th June 2009, 10:07 AM
It's still not available for linux, so no.

markTHEblake
27th June 2009, 11:06 AM
i have it on my laptop cos i have two gmail accounts and it saves me from having to login and logout all the time.

apart from that, its not awe inspiring and neither is firefox, IE nor safari. They just look at web pages.

AndyP
27th June 2009, 02:49 PM
I still use it at work and I'm hoping it's released for Mac sooner rather than later. A development version has been released.

virge666
29th June 2009, 08:25 AM
apart from that, its not awe inspiring and neither is firefox, IE nor safari. They just look at web pages.

+1

It is a web browser . . . who cares ?