PDA

View Full Version : Roof Insulation

poidda
2nd September 2008, 03:26 PM
Before summer arrives I need to get some insulation in my roof which has none. Anyone recommendations as to what I should go for, or even better, who to do it for me would be great?!?

terryand
2nd September 2008, 03:47 PM
Get the pump in stuff, you get 100% cover with it. Something you won't get with batts unless you have a very good insaller.

Terry.

poidda
2nd September 2008, 03:52 PM
Get the pump in stuff, you get 100% cover with it. Something you won't get with batts unless you have a very good insaller.

Terry.

Yeah I've been told that, and looking at this gear.
http://www.coolorcosy.com.au/supa-cel/state/qld

Grunt
2nd September 2008, 04:08 PM
Is that the recycled paper stuff, have heard reports of it getting banned due to the fire risk. A mate is a firey and he advised me against it. Batts installed here with no gaps at all.

Grunt
2nd September 2008, 04:32 PM
while were on it..are those whirly gigs any good ?

Got 2 in my place, seem to work well. Easy to self install too.

Dazza
2nd September 2008, 04:37 PM
We used some pump in stuff in our old house in the 1998, cannot recall the brand so not much help there.
The agent gave us a demo, it involved a sample of the product & a gas torch.
Didn't even ignite, man I was surprised!

Courty
2nd September 2008, 04:46 PM
while were on it..are those whirly gigs any good ?

They're the first things to let go if you ever get a cyclone. :shock:

PeteyD
2nd September 2008, 06:02 PM
If they are not mounted properly. Mind you a lot of roofs let go too.

Fibreglass batts are good if you DIY. I have heard plenty of stories about the blow in stuff moving around, but think that is all sorted these days.

Moe Norman
2nd September 2008, 06:55 PM
I git that cool or cosy stuff in my old place, it was sweet

jaybam
2nd September 2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah i have heard lots of stories about fires starting in roofs now due to the trend in downlights and the heat they generate in the roof. I suppose if your insulation was fire proof this would be true. But we have the coolorcosy in our roof and works a treat :)

Grunt
2nd September 2008, 08:34 PM
Hardly see or hear it advertised down here at all nowadays.

goughy
2nd September 2008, 08:34 PM
We've done about 8 downlights in out extension/renovation; not helped by the narrow gap between ceiling and roof. We changed most to low voltage fluro downlights, but still 2 of those have gone!

Grunt
2nd September 2008, 08:38 PM
We have 240 Volt downlights with no transformer. Have heard stories of the Transformers setting light to the roof cavities though.

Golfnut
2nd September 2008, 11:47 PM
Blow-in roof insulation is ok until you have to do anything in the roof or install low voltage down lights....then the fun begins!!! Electricians will swear & curse....not to mention the mess it makes when drilling the down light holes.

Finding wires also becomes more of a headache.

I went with these guys:
http://www.thermosealedbatts.com.au/thermosealedbatts/index.htm

Easy to move if you have to do any work and easy to keep away from downlight trannys.

Not sure if they are trading in your part of Aus.

poidda
3rd September 2008, 09:20 AM
I git that cool or cosy stuff in my old place, it was sweet

Yeah i have heard lots of stories about fires starting in roofs now due to the trend in downlights and the heat they generate in the roof. I suppose if your insulation was fire proof this would be true. But we have the coolorcosy in our roof and works a treat :)

Blow-in roof insulation is ok until you have to do anything in the roof or install low voltage down lights....then the fun begins!!! Electricians will swear & curse....not to mention the mess it makes when drilling the down light holes.

Finding wires also becomes more of a headache.

I went with these guys:
http://www.thermosealedbatts.com.au/thermosealedbatts/index.htm

Easy to move if you have to do any work and easy to keep away from downlight trannys.

Not sure if they are trading in your part of Aus.

Any idea on cost? Ball park figure of course.

Jarro
3rd September 2008, 11:35 AM
What material is your roof made out of poidda ?

We've got a colourbond roof and don't have any insulation inside, but we do have two whirly-birds on the roof and they make a huge difference. If you get these, make sure you get the proper vents to put under the eves and let the airflow through your roof.

poidda
3rd September 2008, 11:38 AM
What material is your roof made out of poidda ?

We've got a colourbond roof and don't have any insulation inside, but we do have two whirly-birds on the roof and they make a huge difference. If you get these, make sure you get the proper vents to put under the eves and let the airflow through your roof.

Colourbond roof here with whirly-birds already. The insulation is really preperation for some aircon down the track.

Golfnut
3rd September 2008, 11:54 AM
Pretty sure I paid around the $2500 mark but that was a couple of years ago now.....roof area is about 300m2.

Jarro
3rd September 2008, 11:56 AM
Colourbond roof here with whirly-birds already. The insulation is really preperation for some aircon down the track.

Yeah air-con here also, no insulation in the roof hasn't really seemed to affect it's performance that much.

What you have to make sure though is that you stop any direct afternoon sun getting in from a big western facing window ..... gotta stop the heat from radiating in

BrisVegas
6th September 2008, 04:24 PM
I went with batts & roof ventilators and it made our place bearable thru summer. I've got aircon now, but it doesn't seem to work very hard given the size of the area and the amount of glass I got facing west....

agave
9th September 2008, 03:04 PM
Most roof sarking will give you a 1.5 rating anyway . I had no insulation or whirly birds and installed a full ducted system . I worked it out it cost $ 2 a day on top of normal electricity and It would have been more efficient with 2 whirly birds . Im sorry to say i dont think insulation is worth the money .

amanda
9th September 2008, 05:13 PM
I know the sarking is labelled as 1.5 - but apparently is in the process of being re-graded in a lab and has been found to be 0.5 :shock:

Grunt
9th September 2008, 05:19 PM
No Sarking in my place, only due the fact I had no knowledge of it not being put in without telling the builder. I learnt lots in the building of our house. Won't fall in the same traps again.