PDA

View Full Version : Nudgee Golf Club Redevelopment.

Pages : [1] 2

gazgolf1
2nd September 2008, 07:08 AM
Well subs are due for another year at Nudgee and aside from a newsletter that came out in April I'm pretty much in the dark about how the Gateway Motorway redevelopment will effect my club.
Purely from a selfish once a week golfer point of view I'm not sure if I want to pony up full fees if in a couple of months half of the the South course is gone and we are putting on temporary greens.
G69 has passed on some tidbits to us that he has heard on the grapevine ranging from the club losing the driving range to an aquatic driving range out the front of the proshop.
Maybe I'm overreacting here and maybe the club is still waiting on decisions themselves from Main Roads but some news would be helpful.
Here is the April newsletter.

NEWSLETTER - APRIL 2008
GATEWAY ARTERIAL UPGRADE

At the annual general meeting held in December 2007 the Board advised that the General Manager and I had been in ongoing discussions with Officers from the Department of Main Roads and their Consultants regarding the upgrading of the Gateway Arterial and I indicated that it would be the end of March before further information would be available. Further information has been tabled and we are now entering the next phase of the process.

But first I wish to convey my thanks to all Members for their support of the Board for the past two years and for your vote of confidence in returning the same Board for the current two years. My thanks extend to the “Ordinary” Members, Five Day Members, Lady Members and the Staff who make every effort to make our time at the Club enjoyable.

Back to the future of our Club and golf facilities.

In January Main Roads commissioned four Golf Course Architectural Firms to report on the impacts that could occur if the Department resumes approximately 7 hectares of land from the South Course for the Gateway upgrade. These reports have been tabled and are being reviewed by the Departments Consultants, our General Manager and myself. The Department have not approved the release of the reports to the Club at this point in time.

The confidentiality maintained during the commissioning of the Architects has resulted in four very independent reports addressing the major issues which are:-

The containment of existing facilities in a reduced area of land.
The rearrangement or reduction of facilities.
The acquisition of additional land.
The possible redesign of the golf course.

The reports all conclude that comparable facilities to the existing facilities cannot be contained in a reduced area and that additional land is required if we are to maintain a comparable 36 hole facility.

We have advised the Departments Consultants that the Club has no interest in accepting a reduction to the existing facilities but we would be agreeable to redesign if additional land was available.

I would like to make the comment that discussion about possible course design is not relevant until the Department advises whether additional land is available and the Manager and I have offered the Department a continuing degree of confidentiality while they explore all the options.

We will keep you informed as further information becomes available.

Vern Smerdon
President.

henno
2nd September 2008, 07:15 AM
Haven't nudgee been gifted a large sum of money for the resumption of the land?

If that is the case, I would expect that to me spent on the remaining facilities to make up for the loss of 9 holes and a bunch of land.

Regardless, the next year or two are certainly going to have a negative impact on the club no matter which way you look at it.

Jarro
2nd September 2008, 07:19 AM
Gaz,

Perci, Graham and Eags had a few schooners after our round last week. whilst in the bar, max walked past and started talking to us about the redevelopment. He told us that at this stage they are unsure of what will happen as the council/government are still yet to do enviromental impact studies and the like ... so in his educated guess, it could still be a non-event in a couple of years time :roll:

Dick69 might be able to shed some more light on the issue, but as far as the staff at Nudgee go ... they don't really know what's gonna happen ???

gazgolf1
2nd September 2008, 07:23 AM
Gaz,

so in his educated guess, it could still be a non-event in a couple of years time :roll:

The problem is that road will be finished in a years time.

I hope we have been gifted some dough,was'nt someone floating the idea that club was aquiring North Lakes or the management of.?

Jarro
2nd September 2008, 07:25 AM

I hope we have been gifted some dough,was'nt someone floating the idea that club was aquiring North Lakes or the management of.?

Still unsure on this ??? Max indicated that the talks he's had with government/council was that they still weren't exactly sure how wide the road was going to be ? Bike lanes and the like have to come into it too :roll:

He did say that they would lose quite a fair chunk of the South Course, with the maintenance shed having to go as well.

perci
2nd September 2008, 07:33 AM
Max was quite confident they would do well through the compensation deal as did RQ.

Jarro
2nd September 2008, 07:44 AM
Dick, would your 'plans' enable a layout with 4 x 9 holes starting and finishing from the clubhouse ?

poidda
2nd September 2008, 07:52 AM
Will the new holes be above or below Sea Level? Global warming must be considered and I would think Nudgee would the first to go?! ;)

Jarro
2nd September 2008, 07:55 AM
I'm actually more concerned about the new parallel runway at the Airport ..... that's gonna get pretty close to the holes down the back corner there :shock:

perci
2nd September 2008, 07:56 AM
They're also waiting to find out how far north Nudgee road will be moved as that may throw up some extra land.

Scottt
2nd September 2008, 08:20 AM
I'd start by never trusting someone named "Vern Smerdon" :lol:

It sounds like a Simpsons character!

sms316
2nd September 2008, 08:22 AM
Do people ever get pissed and start hitting shots down the runway?

Jarro
2nd September 2008, 08:41 AM
Hitting it down a concrete runway is the only hope you got of knocking it past 200m son.

Thanks for the tip Mr Bylsma :roll:

I'd start by never trusting someone named "Vern Smerdon" :lol:

It sounds like a Simpsons character!

Our general manager is actually a dead-ringer for Clancy Wiggum :lol:

Do people ever get pissed and start hitting shots down the runway?

No, that would be very silly

markTHEblake
2nd September 2008, 04:38 PM
Whats the worry - the Airport course in Bangkok is located in-between the runways.

Gaz, dont worry about the temp greens a clever course designer would always ensure that there are very few of them, if any. When we went through a complete makeover at Emerald Lakes there was normally only 2 temporary greens, (rarely 3) as they would build some new holes, put them in play, before taking old ones out. Obviously Nudgee would have even more flexibility to do that especially if getting new land, as they can build all of those first before carving up the existing course.

goughy
2nd September 2008, 04:43 PM
So, is nudgee expensive if only an 18 hole layout for a while??

Courty
2nd September 2008, 05:40 PM

Sorry, ain't gonna happen that quickly. These things take a lot of time, especially the design phase.

My home club is having some land resumed which will affect the course layout also. The club & members have been well aware of it for quite a few years now and there is still no sign of anything starting any time soon. I heard a whisper that state gov't funding may have been approved in this current financial year. If that is true, then they will only just be starting the design stage and wouldn't actually turn a sod for a minimum of 12 months.

peter_rs
2nd September 2008, 07:02 PM
Gaz,

It will be interesting because I will be pissed (and have already told Rick) that we joined in Dec and were told the course would stay as 36 holes. I don't think the course would work as 27. The mens comp is full every sat and ladies have 3 hours of tee times on the south course for comp as well. That was one of the reasons we joined (A strong comp field but you are able to book into).

Rick noted a few options depending on funding.

*land on the otherside of the bike path.
*Moving the club to a new site
*A chance of doing another 9 or 18 on the other side of nudgee road? (using a over pass like hope Island?)

He assured me that nudgee would stay 36 holes.... but its not worth much.

I hope they don't screw the course trying to fit 36 holes in without new land, or design on the fly.

I would agree more information would be good.

On a side note I think we will get it before NOMS are due as a bird has told me that they want to start taking land with in the month.

PeteyD
2nd September 2008, 07:08 PM
Isn't the other side of Nudgee road some sort of protected bog of eternal stench?

poidda
3rd September 2008, 08:16 AM
Sorry, ain't gonna happen that quickly. These things take a lot of time, especially the design phase.

You not seen the construction creeping from both sides? Nudgee will end up an M1 Spit Roast if it doesn't happen quickly. A little golf course isn't going to stop the bridge from being on time that's for sure.

Courty
3rd September 2008, 03:12 PM
You not seen the construction creeping from both sides?

Ummm, no. I don't live in Brisbane.

poidda
3rd September 2008, 03:43 PM

Ummm, no. I don't live in Brisbane.

Ummm, if you did, you'd know how quickly things are happening. :)

Courty
3rd September 2008, 05:36 PM
Ummm, if you did, you'd know how quickly things are happening. :)

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'll back my 15 years in civil construction that it isn;t. ;)

poidda
4th September 2008, 11:33 AM
I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'll back my 15 years in civil construction that it isn;t. ;)

According to this, it will be fully open by late 2010. I have a mate who's working on the bridge and he says they are well ahead of schedule.

http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au/asp/?page=upgrade&cid=5211&id=371

markTHEblake
4th September 2008, 06:02 PM
Yeah but the Gateway bridge is being done by Qld Motorways and that project doesnt extend to the road beside the Nudgee golf course.

The Road adjacent to Nudgee golf club will be upgraded by the Main Roads department, and that project is only in the 'planning study' stage with nothing on the table yet.

I'll back Courty on this one. From what I have seen down this way, you would be looking at a couple of years before they break out the crayons and draw some pictures.

one would think that anybody really concerned about the impact on their club, would use google :-)
http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au/asp/index.asp

http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/web/publicCR.nsf/0/8BAFBE1E9527CE294A25736A0005B1F0?OpenDocument

gazgolf1
4th September 2008, 06:58 PM
I'll back Courty on this one. From what I have seen down this way, you would be looking at a couple of years before they break out the crayons and draw some pictures.

Cool,I'll probably be sick of golf in a couple of years and won't care that much.

shazza_rs
4th September 2008, 07:10 PM
You'll be itching to get on the golf course gaz.... if only to get away from a screaming kid and a tired and grumpy missus. ;)

Jarro
4th September 2008, 07:20 PM
You'll be itching to get on the golf course gaz.... if only to get away from a screaming kid and a tired and grumpy missus. ;)

Oh yeah ... and how :roll:

goonie
8th September 2008, 09:40 PM
Sorry MTB but 7km north of the bridge (to nudgee Rd) and 12km south of the bridge are already signed off on and underway, the whole project includes 20km of road, the new bypass joins back up to the existing road just south of the nudgee road interchange and the existing road will be widened to 6 lanes for another 1 KM which looks like it goes past nudgee road and past the golf course, the graphics show the new road going past the whole course and that completion of the north road by mid 2010. And I found that info from the links you posted. The upgrade that mainroads is looking at is from nudgee road to the Pacific Hwy.

http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au/asp/index.asp?page=upgrade&cid=5211&id=371

http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au/asp/index.asp?page=upgrade&cid=5211&id=403

http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au/data/portal/00000005/content/65192001220652265484.pdf

peter_rs
18th November 2008, 12:09 PM
Anyone going to the meeting this week or get the guff in the mail?

Jarro
18th November 2008, 12:13 PM
I got the brochure in the mail ..... looks like they're really going to take a lot more out of the South Course than i'd imagined :shock:

The meeting is scheduled for Saturday isn't it ?

Webster
18th November 2008, 12:15 PM
I can't believe they ignored Ross Watson design for this job and went with a guy who has limited experienced in working with established courses (and is based in Sydney???). If I was a member, I would definitely be going along to that meeting to voice my concerns.

Jarro
18th November 2008, 12:17 PM
I heard Watson didn't get the gig because his 'representative' kept farting during the meetings.

What other courses has this new joker worked on anyway ?

peter_rs
18th November 2008, 12:29 PM
isn't there meeting all week... with the last saturday?

Has there been something public about who got the gig and how they are trying to do it? What do you know Jack/G69

Andrew
18th November 2008, 12:30 PM
I agree with Jack. I would want to know why the committee made the decision they did. And I would make sure they didn't dodge the question.

Jarro
18th November 2008, 12:46 PM
Pete,
Our bid was unsuccessful. (gutted just quietly).

Any reason given ?

I'm suddenly getting a bad feeling about this whole thing :smt087

peter_rs
18th November 2008, 01:09 PM
Do you know who got it and what they offered? eg are we 36 holes still.

PeteyD
18th November 2008, 01:17 PM
Maybe the meeting is being called to let you know what is happening.

peter_rs
18th November 2008, 01:22 PM
that is the reason. Doesn't stop me asking in here for the other side of the story.

razaar
18th November 2008, 02:42 PM
Did Watson do the initial design of the greens on the north course when they were convertd from blue cooch to tiftgreen 328?

razaar
18th November 2008, 03:23 PM
I seem to recall John Downes mentioning that Watson did the conversion of the main course. They are probably the best greens of all the old established Bris. courses done around that time. He did holes 27 to 36 according to this search.
http://www.rosswatson.com.au/pdf/Aus_CourseDir_Feb.pdf

Jarro
18th November 2008, 04:14 PM
All of Watsons best work would've been done in the 80's wouldn't it ?

poidda
18th November 2008, 04:31 PM
All of Watsons best work would've been done in the 80's wouldn't it ?

An era commonly known as pre-69er!

peter_rs
24th November 2008, 10:01 PM
The point of the meeting was point less

basic noted.

They went with "golf by design" because he is an young up and comer.
There last 3 18 hole course are ranked in the top 100 in Australia and award winning. Doesn't have a course in QLD yet, so it becomes his show piece.

Main Roads has not issues an order for resumption of the land. So no design has been done.

Because the Main Roads have not issued the order the club can not:
1.put a claim in for $$$$
2.request for more land from the local council.
3.or set a time line for works.

They say the course will stay at 36 course due to the RQ test case. They say they are committed to go to court if need be.

The time line is
1 years before they start losing land.
The rework will take 2 years for the 36 holes. 27 holes in play at all time.

The two plans are:
one based on more land for two full 18 hole courses over 6km and range/chipping greens
two based on no new land 18 hole new champ course over 6km then a second 18 hole course at 5km (about par 65)

damoocow
24th November 2008, 10:05 PM
very interesting Pete.........how many members at the meeting and what was the general mood ?

peter_rs
24th November 2008, 10:17 PM
The 9:30 was big don't know about the 1pm.

Everyone was to positive about getting extra land and eveything going smoothly. It was just PR

Andrew
25th November 2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks Peter,

I'm always interested in hearing how committees justify what is often the unjustifiable.

They went with "golf by design" because he is an young up and comer.
There last 3 18 hole course are ranked in the top 100 in Australia and award winning. Doesn't have a course in QLD yet, so it becomes his show piece.

These two reasons are corkers. I really hope the committee don't believe that tripe.

James will be able to do nothing on that land that Ross & Richard couldn't have done, yet they have turned down the local guys who will be able to be on site twice as much.

I hope it works out well for the club.

Jarro
25th November 2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the update Pete.

I received the Annual report in the mail yesterday and it's an interesting read for sure :roll:

Looks like it's all going to take a lot longer to sort out than anybody imagined. I just hope it's all worth the wait/trouble :-s

peter_rs
25th November 2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks Peter,
James will be able to do nothing on that land that Ross & Richard couldn't have done, yet they have turned down the local guys who will be able to be on site twice as much.

I hope it works out well for the club.

They believe the opposite in the proposal stage they had more visits by James then Ross. They believe that James has more to prove in QLD then Ross.

Andrew
25th November 2008, 09:01 PM
Peter,

Do you know whether any of the committee came down to Sydney to look at any of his work that has been completed or the feasibility of his planned work, & talk to the various club committees about their impression of him? (Bayview, Elanora, Eastlake, Monash, Cromer, Muirfield, Belmont, Kareela, Camden Valley, Lucas Heights, etc.) Some of these courses have gone on the hire other architects, while other would have been happy with his work.

This is not meant to be a witch-hunt; I just like to know that committees are thorough.

Moe Norman
26th November 2008, 07:54 AM
But you know that they are not Andrew.

peter_rs
26th November 2008, 07:59 AM
Don't know. I have seen or played the cut, camden Valley and Elanora.

dc68
26th November 2008, 09:19 AM
Now Dave Burrup seems to F*** up a lot of the small jobs around town.

Could not agree more Dicky.

Eag's
26th November 2008, 01:36 PM
Im over in India at a golf show this week..delightful place by the way.

I rock up to our booth on day one and Jim Wilcher is setting up 3 doors down. I opened with a liverpool kiss then a knee to the groin.....you think Im kidding don't you.

Of course when he got up I wished him well with the project.

Yeah right, you couldn't break custard you big poof :razz:

Courty
20th May 2009, 06:37 PM
Bump.

Any movement on this one?

AndyP
20th May 2009, 06:43 PM
They put some new water hazards in today.

Courty
20th May 2009, 06:46 PM

:lol:

razaar
20th May 2009, 06:53 PM
Seems a few clubs caught the bug.:)

Jarro
20th May 2009, 09:16 PM
No word on the redevelopment as yet ... it's all caught up in red tape at the moment, both sides (State/Federal) government are supposedly working out who will foot the bill :roll:

PeteyD
21st May 2009, 05:25 AM
Might be a moot point if half the course washes away !

Jarro
21st May 2009, 07:06 AM
At least the duck ponds will get a nice flush-out :)

PeteyD
21st May 2009, 08:58 AM
And the bog of eternal stench.

peter_rs
27th May 2009, 05:25 PM
Last I heard it was not even a government thing as the Stimulus package was covering the difference.

A bird told me the design is getting reviewed as the traffic growth was under estimated.

peter_rs
1st June 2009, 10:04 AM
From the News Letter

It is several months since the Queensland Government (Department of Main Roads) informed the Club that they had completed the initial phase of the design works for the Gateway upgrade. It is now two months since the State Election and two weeks since the Federal Budget was announced. Because the Club has received no further advice on this subject, I hypothesise as follows:-
• The road works can only proceed with Federal funding,
• The State Governments report for funding of $2.9 billion for continued upgrading of the Gateway was not endorsed by the Federal Budget,
• All levels of Government now claim they are desperately short of funds,
• Consequently I doubt whether the Club will hear much more until the run-up to the Federal election next year,
• Again it is difficult to do anything as the Government has not issued any formal “Notices” on the Club.

Last year the Club was successful with its application for a $50,000 grant under the Community Water Grants was successful. The Federal Government has now terminated the scheme and all monies not spent by the 30th June 2009 must be returned, so we will be installing water tanks and pumps along the side of the driving range and working in the waterhole along the 18th fairway over the next few weeks despite the current over-supply of water on the course.

Jarro
1st June 2009, 11:52 AM
All this uncertainty makes it pretty hard to commit to the club for another year :?

BrisVegas
1st June 2009, 12:36 PM
time to join North Lakes jarro.

Jarro
1st June 2009, 12:42 PM
time to join North Lakes jarro.

You might be onto something there.

It's still pricey to join though isn't it ?

BrisVegas
1st June 2009, 12:54 PM
i thought it went a bit more "down market" when Clubcorp bailed and the Robina/Colonial mob took over??? Honestly dunno. choppa looked into a while back, so he'd be the man to ask.

Jarro
1st June 2009, 12:55 PM
i thought it went a bit more "down market" when Clubcorp bailed and the Robina/Colonial mob took over??? Honestly dunno. choppa looked into a while back, so he'd be the man to ask.

Who's that ?:-s

;)

just
1st June 2009, 12:57 PM
Not cheap (http://www.northlakesgolfclub.com.au/membership/pricing.html), but not hideously expensive, and you can pay by installments.

Jarro
1st June 2009, 01:38 PM
Not cheap (http://www.northlakesgolfclub.com.au/membership/pricing.html), but not hideously expensive, and you can pay by installments.

Cheers :mrgreen:

yeah not as expensive as i thought it'd be .... but still more than i'm willing to pay at the moment :roll:

Let's just hope these Nudgee reno's (when they're eventually done) still see us with two complete courses [-o<

markTHEblake
1st June 2009, 04:46 PM
All this uncertainty makes it pretty hard to commit to the club for another year :?

Why would that be? From the sound of it, there is going to be no change to the golf course at all in the near future.

BrisVegas
1st June 2009, 06:33 PM

That's not too bad. Especially for a shift worker who'd get a couple of games a week.

henno
1st June 2009, 06:35 PM
I am genuinely surprised the noms are only $500. It even beats The Royal And Ancient Wynnum at $800-ish and smashes Indooroopilly at $5k. :shock:

Spikemark
8th June 2009, 03:22 PM
Nudgee golf course is a farm. The greens are better on the South course which is the "social players course"....The Pro there HAS LOST THE PLOT. Just my opinion.

Jarro
8th June 2009, 03:24 PM
Nudgee golf course is a farm. The greens are better on the South course which is the "social players course"....The Pro there HAS LOST THE PLOT. Just my opinion.

A lot of people reckon the South Course is a better course too.

I'm a member there and i'd rather play the South Course any day of the week .... only because we hardly play any comps there ;)

what's your reasoning for the "Pro's lost the plot" remark anyway ? Had a bad experience there ??

Spikemark
8th June 2009, 03:36 PM
Jarro, You have a guy.. CK.. who cannot play golf and is the laughing stock of the PGA around Brisbane for that fact. JD does not give a shit as well. That is the plot Jarro. I like playing Nudgee. They should make the 2nd Airport runway over the main course.

markTHEblake
8th June 2009, 03:44 PM
Since when does a golf Pro have anything to do with the golf course?

He doesnt mow the greens, he sells golf balls.

Eag's
8th June 2009, 03:54 PM
Jarro, You have a guy.. CK.. who cannot play golf and is the laughing stock of the PGA around Brisbane for that fact. JD does not give a shit as well. That is the plot Jarro. I like playing Nudgee. They should make the 2nd Airport runway over the main course.

Being a bit harsh there I think, there are heaps of courses in Brisbane far worse than Nudgee. To be honest, I think they have the most consistant greens I have played on.

PeteyD
8th June 2009, 03:59 PM
I think Oxleys might just shade them at the moment.

Jarro
8th June 2009, 04:05 PM

Who really cares what CK thinks/does anyway ... it doesn't affect me or any other member at Nudgee as far as i know.

JD has always been a bit 'different' We just get used to it.

At the end of the day, i go there to play golf, not to get into the different personalities around the place.

You sound like you have an agenda.

perci
8th June 2009, 04:11 PM
Hey Spikey your name isn't Noel is it?Your rant just sounds like a tosser that is thankfully an ex-member now!

PeteyD
8th June 2009, 04:12 PM
ROFL.

Jarro
8th June 2009, 04:14 PM
Hey Spikey your name isn't Noel is it?Your rant just sounds like a tosser that is thankfully an ex-member now!

.. and thank **** for that !! :roll:

Virginia can put up with him now :smt011

Sydney Hacker
9th June 2009, 10:03 AM
Since when does a golf Pro have anything to do with the golf course?

He doesnt mow the greens, he sells golf balls.

And mars bars ! don't sell him short.

Jarro
27th June 2019, 02:48 PM
New works progressing nicely 8)

PeteyD
27th June 2019, 04:22 PM
Nice threadmine Jarro

henno
27th June 2019, 05:44 PM
Woah, more than a decade. Even henno was still playing golf then.

Jarro
28th June 2019, 07:00 PM
Nice threadmine JarroYes, thought i'd check and see if any of the other Nudgee members updated the thread.

Didn't even look at the date on the header.... sooooo long ago.

Henno, yep, you probably would have still been playing back then i reckon.

Webster
1st July 2019, 06:09 PM
Gee those new bunkers look **awesome** Jarro.........

https://twitter.com/smccomas897/status/1145514706557292544

Jarro
1st July 2019, 06:36 PM
Gee those new bunkers look **awesome** Jarro.........

https://twitter.com/smccomas897/status/1145514706557292544They certainly do [emoji106]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190701/2f92d85bd055f27f0b4e95e4d977cb22.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190701/e5c10b4f818e15a5bad4fc3ecbf6cc98.jpg

Webster
1st July 2019, 06:49 PM
Yeah they look top quality don't they. Real "pearlers"....

AndyP
1st July 2019, 07:48 PM
They look painful to maintain.

markTHEblake
1st July 2019, 08:15 PM
Jarro, is the masterplan viewable online anywhere, the only thing I have seen shared around is a half a photo of a drawing on a noticeboard. So stuff all details :)

Yeah they look top quality don't they. Real "pearlers"....

They are the most suitable design for QLD weather, and the swampbelt golf courses.

shazza_rs
1st July 2019, 08:47 PM
Jarro, is the masterplan viewable online anywhere, the only thing I have seen shared around is a half a photo of a drawing on a noticeboard. So stuff all details :)

They are the most suitable design for QLD weather, and the swampbelt golf courses.

http://www.yourneighbourhood.com.au/nudgeegolfcourse-masterplan/

This website gives you a good breakdown of what’s happening.

benno_r
1st July 2019, 09:03 PM
The same guy did The Cut and Pacific Dunes. Sorry to hear, Nudgee members.

perci
2nd July 2019, 05:37 AM
The same guy did The Cut and Pacific Dunes. Sorry to hear, Nudgee members.

What are the problems with them Ben ?

benno_r
2nd July 2019, 06:31 AM
What are the problems with them Ben ?My summary: one is a monumental waste of decent land, the other is miles too hard.

thecollective
2nd July 2019, 04:29 PM
Do they get big winds at Nudgee? (hence the enormous lips to keep the sand contained)

the bunkers do look a bit like they have come straight from the tv show Married at First Sight

In saying that though I will wait till the course has been completed before I pass any more armchair judgement

RobNewy
3rd July 2019, 03:58 PM
Do they get big winds at Nudgee? (hence the enormous lips to keep the sand contained)the bunkers do look a bit like they have come straight from the tv show Married at First SightIn saying that though I will wait till the course has been completed before I pass any more armchair judgementIve only een there since October, but there is always a breeze.

markTHEblake
4th July 2019, 10:34 PM
http://www.yourneighbourhood.com.au/nudgeegolfcourse-masterplan/ (http://www.yourneighbourhood.com.au/nudgeegolfcourse-masterplan/)

thanks thats an interesting read.

peter_rs
6th July 2019, 07:22 PM
My summary: one is a monumental waste of decent land, the other is miles too hard.

I have no clue which you are saying is miles too hard

benno_r
6th July 2019, 07:45 PM
I have no clue which you are saying is miles too hard

Pac Dunes. Least amount of fun I have had on a golf course as far as I can remember.

Sydney Hacker
6th July 2019, 07:50 PM
Pac Dunes. Least amount of fun I have had on a golf course as far as I can remember. Pac Dunes near Newcastle? Tough but it’s not that bad, doesn’t compare overly well to Newcastle though!

Ferrins
7th July 2019, 05:59 AM
Do they get big winds at Nudgee? (hence the enormous lips to keep the sand contained)

the bunkers do look a bit like they have come straight from the tv show Married at First Sight

In saying that though I will wait till the course has been completed before I pass any more armchair judgement

People entering and exiting from the high side would be more of a concern. I don't think you're allowed to play in work boots there any more which will help. seriously there is a member who plays comps at Virginia in steel capped work boots.

MAZA68
7th July 2019, 01:50 PM
People entering and exiting from the high side would be more of a concern. I don't think you're allowed to play in work boots there any more which will help. seriously there is a member who plays comps at Virginia in steel capped work boots.
might need it for balance

petethepilot
8th July 2019, 09:09 AM
The Cut is possibly the worst GCA effort on great land in Australia! The houses on the front nine are terrible. There are 3 or 4 good holes but at least double that many shockers! 17 is possibly the worst hole in Australia!

oldracer
8th July 2019, 11:39 AM
The Cut is possibly the worst GCA effort on great land in Australia! The houses on the front nine are terrible. There are 3 or 4 good holes but at least double that many shockers! 17 is possibly the worst hole in Australia!
you been reading Lefty's mail Pete

benno_r
8th July 2019, 12:08 PM
you been reading Lefty's mail PeteHe summed it up far more eloquently than i ever could.

thecollective
8th July 2019, 12:18 PM
He summed it up far more eloquently than i ever could.

Two years back I had a round with some locals at Hartfield in W.A

When I discussed The Cut they advised the course is locally renowned for holding a nickname that contains one extra letter in its original name

benno_r
8th July 2019, 12:29 PM
Two years back I had a round with some locals at Hartfield in W.A

When I discussed The Cut they advised the course is locally renowned for holding a nickname that contains one extra letter in its original nameI think that's where lefty got it from.

Yossarian
8th July 2019, 01:07 PM
Ahh The Cut. Tbf to Wilcher there were some gnarly EPA restrictions on the amount that could be cleared. Probably should not have gone ahead.9, 10, 11, 15, 17 and 18 are truly shithouse.

thecollective
8th July 2019, 01:11 PM
Ahh The Cut. Tbf to Wilcher there were some gnarly EPA restrictions on the amount that could be cleared. Probably should not have gone ahead.9, 10, 11, 15, 17 and 18 are truly shithouse.

Maybe they should host a Presidents Cup. A 'real' test of golf ala Whistling Straits

petethepilot
8th July 2019, 04:53 PM
No one hits it far enough right on 18 even after 2 or 3 plays! Truely weird!

shazza_rs
12th January 2020, 03:27 PM
http://www.yourneighbourhood.com.au/nudgeegolfcourse-masterplan/

So for those interested, stage 1 is complete and some of those holes are now in play. Stage two is well and truly under way.

Ferrins
12th January 2020, 04:12 PM
Are those rare and endangered frogs ok?

shazza_rs
12th January 2020, 06:12 PM
Who knows? Or cares?

AndyP
12th January 2020, 06:49 PM
Who knows? Or cares?The Greenies care, and we know what power they have in this country....

3Puttpete
12th January 2020, 07:19 PM
So for those interested, stage 1 is complete and some of those holes are now in play. Stage two is well and truly under way.

What’s it like Shaz?

BUSHY
12th January 2020, 07:32 PM
The Greenies care, and we know what power they have in this country....

The frogs gave way to ‘carbon emissions’.

shazza_rs
12th January 2020, 07:41 PM
What’s it like Shaz?

I enjoyed it. Bunkers are pretty penal but at least the sand is consistent :)

Only 4 full holes in play and one green being played from makeshift tees for the moment.

3Puttpete
12th January 2020, 07:48 PM
I enjoyed it. Bunkers are pretty penal but at least the sand is consistent :)

Only 4 full holes in play and one green being played from makeshift tees for the moment.

[emoji1303]

BUSHY
12th January 2020, 08:03 PM

Shaz is that over where we played that Monday after QLD champs?

shazza_rs
12th January 2020, 08:32 PM
Yep on the current “brook” nine.

shazza_rs
12th January 2020, 08:47 PM
Updates are put on Twitter by our assistant super quite regularly.

His twitter handle is @smccomas897

BUSHY
12th January 2020, 08:56 PM
Updates are put on Twitter by our assistant super quite regularly.

His twitter handle is @smccomas897

Thanks [emoji4]

Ferrins
8th February 2020, 11:31 AM
Checked out the plans for the 36 holes, looks good.

thecollective
13th February 2020, 03:31 PM
Might have to make a trip up there once its all completed

Jarro
16th February 2020, 11:09 AM
New bunkering held up to 400mm of rain last week.

New greens look awesome !

Jarro
5th March 2020, 02:40 PM
The new green complexes are fantastic !

AndyP
5th March 2020, 02:43 PM
And the bunkers?

Jarro
5th March 2020, 03:27 PM
And the bunkers?Bunkers are great, but as Shaz said earlier....they are very penal.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200305/2a4e7598d9575dd67ea59b7b7f7296d9.jpg

benno_r
5th March 2020, 04:29 PM
Drove past the Nudg today. The greens look interesting, but the bunkers I could see from the road need to be nuked. The massive high lips that sit 4ft higher than the greens look (and probably play) stupid.

Keen to for a hit to see if thats actually the case.

Hux
5th March 2020, 05:48 PM
Drove past the Nudg today. The greens look interesting, but the bunkers I could see from the road need to be nuked. The massive high lips that sit 4ft higher than the greens look (and probably play) stupid.

Keen to for a hit to see if thats actually the case.

I think if they had not done the big bunkers with elevated greens the course would have looked like a flat featureless thing - like the existing course. Plus they are fitting quite a bit on the remain plot, they need to catch wayward shots to keep people close to green complexes.

If you are turning up with a preconceived negative opinion you might be just as well spending your money elsewhere :mrgreen:
The bunkers are much fairer than RQ which are nasty narrow rock hard scallops with minimal gritty sand.

The new fairways are quite flat but extremely well drained, with lots of water on the fairway edges, the greens are currently very firm with lots of shape but already playing extremely true and quickish.
IMHO the bunkers appear intimidating but are all nice to play out of and for me at least don't really come into play that much.
I don't think I would like to be a player who has a go to low running shot, it needs a high ball and higher spin.

As a member I am loving the changes - there is a negative and that is if it finishes up that the whole course is at this standard everyone will want to play it and make it harder to get on the time sheet.

benno_r
5th March 2020, 06:00 PM
I think if they had not done the big bunkers with elevated greens the course would have looked like a flat featureless thing - like the existing course. Plus they are fitting quite a bit on the remain plot, they need to catch wayward shots to keep people close to green complexes.

If you are turning up with a preconceived negative opinion you might be just as well spending your money elsewhere :mrgreen:
The bunkers are much fairer than RQ which are nasty narrow rock hard scallops with minimal gritty sand.

The new fairways are quite flat but extremely well drained, with lots of water on the fairway edges, the greens are currently very firm with lots of shape but already playing extremely true and quickish.
IMHO the bunkers appear intimidating but are all nice to play out of and for me at least don't really come into play that much.
I don't think I would like to be a player who has a go to low running shot, it needs a high ball and higher spin.

As a member I am loving the changes - there is a negative and that is if it finishes up that the whole course is at this standard everyone will want to play it and make it harder to get on the time sheet.

I dont have an issue with the elevated greens, but the fact the bunker lips were 4ft higher than the already elevated greens. It just looked silly, and seems awfully penal for a lot of choppers that would struggle to get out of them. The rest of those course looks fine, as do the greens themself.

perci
5th March 2020, 07:10 PM
IMO It's a Members Course and as most realise local knowledge rules and this will be no exception, players will need to take caution if they struggle with the Bunkering as with any setup that promotes strategic play! Oh and their is also a lot of false Fronts, Backs and Sides to contend with !

Hux
5th March 2020, 07:24 PM
IMO It's a Members Course and as most realise local knowledge rules and this will be no exception, players will need to take caution if they struggle with the Bunkering as with any setup that promotes strategic play! Oh and their is also a lot of false Fronts, Backs and Sides to contend with !

I think you are right mate.

Although once it plays at full 6300m I think the strategic thing will be keeping the score under a net 80 :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

perci
5th March 2020, 08:04 PM
Absolutely !

Ferrins
5th March 2020, 08:08 PM
I think that idiots will walk up the high faces and cause damage. That damage doesn't happen at RQ with more refined clientele.😉

Ferrins
5th March 2020, 08:12 PM
Playing off the 19th this Saturday for the first time. Walked it with a group of choppers last Sunday.

BUSHY
5th March 2020, 08:14 PM
I think that idiots will walk up the high faces and cause damage. That damage doesn't happen at RQ with more refined clientele.[emoji6]

Only remote buggies going over the lip. No damage done to the bunker.

Ferrins
5th March 2020, 08:18 PM
Yer I forgot about that on the par 3 4th.
I'll pay that😀🤡🤡🤡

Hux
5th March 2020, 08:18 PM
Playing off the 19th this Saturday for the first time. Walked it with a group of choppers last Sunday.

True that :-)

BUSHY
5th March 2020, 09:04 PM
Yer I forgot about that on the par 3 4th.
I'll pay that[emoji3][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782]

Nah. Par 5 10th at RQ with Benno_r and I. First hole for the day.

You were complaining about your wheel... whooshka!!!

Best ever!!

Ferrins
7th March 2020, 11:16 AM
Medal today.
One metre from glory on the 20th tucked back pin.
Just above my ball there was concrete under the sand.

markTHEblake
17th March 2020, 08:00 PM

concrete or that new fancy porous stuff thats a little like bitumen?

backintheswing
17th March 2020, 08:50 PM
Medal today.
One metre from glory on the 20th tucked back pin.

Even the sand looks like bitumen

thecollective
18th March 2020, 09:49 AM
https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=50976&stc=1

Ferrins
23rd March 2020, 07:10 PM
Nudgee Golf Club is committed to following the best advice, and comply with Federal and State laws, during these trying times.

On Sunday, March 22 the Australian Government announced a closure - from midday, Monday, March 23 - of all pubs, licenced clubs, bars, restaurants and cafes (dining in), cinemas, casinos, places of worship, gyms and indoor sporting venues.

Because our entire premises (including the golf courses) is a licensed venue, we are required to close down our Golf Club. We fully support this decision. We will always comply with Federal and State law. We will always act according to the best advice, which comes to us from Golf Australia and Clubs Queensland.

thecollective
24th March 2020, 10:13 PM
They should now be able to fast track the reno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferrins
25th March 2020, 04:56 AM
Playing a round at Nudgee golf club is presently a combination of golf and orienteering.

flathook
25th March 2020, 07:27 PM
Nudgee Golf Club is committed to following the best advice, and comply with Federal and State laws, during these trying times.

On Sunday, March 22 the Australian Government announced a closure - from midday, Monday, March 23 - of all pubs, licenced clubs, bars, restaurants and cafes (dining in), cinemas, casinos, places of worship, gyms and indoor sporting venues.

Because our entire premises (including the golf courses) is a licensed venue, we are required to close down our Golf Club. We fully support this decision. We will always comply with Federal and State law. We will always act according to the best advice, which comes to us from Golf Australia and Clubs Queensland.
Thought I read something today saying it was ok to play golf with social distancing even if the course was a part of the licensed venue. Seems academic now as we are probably heading for a total lockdown.

Ferrins
15th April 2020, 03:40 PM
We believe that being a member of Nudgee Golf Club is a fantastic privilege. Each of the Board members understands that without members the Club does not exist,

Blackhelmo
17th April 2020, 09:04 PM
Where are you playing at the moment???

Ferrins
18th April 2020, 03:12 AM
RQ

damoocow
18th April 2020, 11:37 AM
Is Nudgee still closed to members?

Ferrins
18th April 2020, 11:44 AM
Yes but the groundsmen and the works crew get a quick nine in after work each day.

Daves
18th April 2020, 03:30 PM
Yes but the groundsmen and the works crew get a quick nine in after work each day.

So are they going to refund or credit forward Membership Fees?

Ferrins
18th April 2020, 03:37 PM
Our course will reopen for members' only on Wednesday April 22nd with social play and our first competition will be this coming Friday 24th April. From Friday April 24th, we intend to have mixed single stableford competition available every day.

All players, social or competition players, will need to book through the timesheets. We will be releasing conditions and rules for play on Monday and timesheets will be available for bookings from Monday afternoon for up to 8 days in advance.

The old farts will be speed booking on Monday arvo

gazgolf1
18th April 2020, 04:15 PM
Back open from Wednesday this week for a social whack and first comp on Friday 24/4.

gazgolf1
18th April 2020, 06:29 PM
I think Nudgee is lucky they made this decision Hux was about to get his gun out and start arresting c@#ts

benno_r
18th April 2020, 06:43 PM
How much did they accelerate the course works with no one out there?

Hux
19th April 2020, 10:30 AM
I think Nudgee is lucky they made this decision Hux was about to get his gun out and start arresting c@#ts

Well I never vote in board elections but will for the next AGM.
Numb skulls....they claimed the CHO said no to golf except she had said yes weeks ago. So they are trying to disguise their incompetence through claims where they hope people don't know the facts.

Then they play the Clubs Queensland and Golf Australia card advice as an excuse - except 90% of other members clubs managed to make it work.

Personally I think they made a bad decision then used a "members reference committee" to do the back flip and hide behind.

Not thrilled with this current GM either -ever since he arrived all he has delivered is higher prices in the club house. Nothing like paying more than RQ!

That said I turn up to play golf with my mates - so as long as we can get a #$^& game finally.

Ferrins
19th April 2020, 11:26 AM
Geez Hux I won't be able to borrow an umbrella and walk the course with you now.

Jarro
19th April 2020, 05:09 PM
How much did they accelerate the course works with no one out there?They still got a fair it done.

sms316
19th April 2020, 06:13 PM
They still got a fair it done. English please.

peter_rs
19th April 2020, 06:23 PM
So are they going to refund or credit forward Membership Fees?

Yes if you cancel or take your 1 leave of absence

peter_rs
19th April 2020, 06:25 PM
English please.

Instead of focusing on 3 holes they started work on 9 from memory to only leave 3x9 hole loops

Daves
19th April 2020, 06:26 PM
Well I never vote in board elections but will for the next AGM.
Numb skulls....they claimed the CHO said no to golf except she had said yes weeks ago. So they are trying to disguise their incompetence through claims where they hope people don't know the facts.

Then they play the Clubs Queensland and Golf Australia card advice as an excuse - except 90% of other members clubs managed to make it work.

Personally I think they made a bad decision then used a "members reference committee" to do the back flip and hide behind.

Not thrilled with this current GM either -ever since he arrived all he has delivered is higher prices in the club house. Nothing like paying more than RQ!

That said I turn up to play golf with my mates - so as long as we can get a #$^& game finally.

Smells like a few clubs I can think of that got a windfall and (management) thought they were set for life....

I am pretty sure it was Clubs Qld that got the CMOs OK. GA were/are a total waste of space (and affiliation fees) for clubs. They only have eyes on the elite end of the sport and have no understanding and very little interest in club land, other than as a cash cow. Hopefully there will be a "revolution" post Pandemic.

Ferrins
20th April 2020, 05:56 PM
Yay time sheet is open and comps every day.
Was looking at playing Sunday morning at 6.18 but would of got stuck behind some serious slow pokes at 6.12am.

gazgolf1
20th April 2020, 06:11 PM
some serious slow pokes at 6.12am.

No mucking around in that group.

Ferrins
20th April 2020, 06:13 PM
You'll spend half an hour trying to fond a wayward Snell ball.

Ferrins
20th April 2020, 06:17 PM
Anyway playing Saturday as only one weekend game is allowed as every member at the club will now can themselves an essential worker.

Ferrins
21st April 2020, 04:06 PM
Back into it tomorrow

gazgolf1
21st April 2020, 05:45 PM
You'll spend half an hour trying to fond a wayward Snell ball.

Lost the MTB-X at Virginia on Friday, broke my heart. :(

Ferrins
22nd April 2020, 07:38 AM
Lost the MTB-X at Virginia on Friday, broke my heart. :(

Well don't stress as I have for you a ball pack
Snell MTB-X
Snell MTB
Snell MTB RED
Snell GET SUM
Vice Tour
Vice Pro
Vice Pro Plus

gazgolf1
22nd April 2020, 11:55 AM
Well don't stress as I have for you a ball pack
Snell MTB-X
Snell MTB
Snell MTB RED
Snell GET SUM
Vice Tour
Vice Pro
Vice Pro Plus

really? i'll have to slide you some cashola.

Ferrins
22nd April 2020, 11:59 AM
Ekka alternative ball show bag

gazgolf1
22nd April 2020, 12:30 PM
Ekka alternative ball show bag

Better than Bertie Beetle

gazgolf1
23rd April 2020, 04:23 PM
Dropped into Nudgee this arvo thinking I'll just have a putt......nope, only if you there to play. :roll:

gazgolf1
24th April 2020, 06:32 AM
really? i'll have to slide you some cashola. Hey Chris can I swing by this morning and grab those golf balls?

Ferrins
24th April 2020, 07:09 AM
Hey Chris can I swing by this morning and grab those golf balls?

Sure, they're in my mail box.

markTHEblake
24th April 2020, 10:02 AM
I dont recommend using swing and grab balls in the same sentence with the Fez.

Ferrins
24th April 2020, 10:42 AM
I washed them with with soap for 20 seconds.

wazamac
24th April 2020, 10:56 AM
Your balls or your swing?

markTHEblake
24th April 2020, 11:42 AM
Best not to ask

Ferrins
25th April 2020, 06:23 PM
Golf for the sake of it, really best to avoid this place atm.

Ferrins
2nd May 2020, 03:29 PM
Just under 4 hours today.

shazza_rs
2nd May 2020, 08:55 PM
Just under 4 hours today.

We went round in 3 hrs 20 mins.

Ferrins
3rd May 2020, 09:30 AM
We went round in 3 hrs 20 mins.

girl power!

Ferrins
4th May 2020, 05:50 PM
Teeing it up with the Shella's tomorrow.

Hux
4th May 2020, 06:25 PM
Teeing it up with the Shella's tomorrow.

Hope you dont get outdriven off the tee!!!

Ferrins
4th May 2020, 06:49 PM
The courts have ordered that at RQ.

Ferrins
11th May 2020, 10:55 AM
Would be nice to play some of the new holes.

Jarro
11th May 2020, 12:30 PM
We went round in 3 hrs 20 mins.3 hrs 14 mins today with some total turtles in front of us [emoji2959]

gazgolf1
11th May 2020, 07:34 PM
3 hrs 9 for us Sunday. Noticed the 27th green (the old south course 18th) is a chipping green, leads me to believe that we wont be playing the new holes any time soon.

Hux
11th May 2020, 07:48 PM
3 hrs 9 for us Sunday. Noticed the 27th green (the old south course 18th) is a chipping green, leads me to believe that we wont be playing the new holes any time soon.

I am wondering if its because the old greens keepers sheds will be coming down and the 27th tee will not be a safe area ?

Jarro
12th May 2020, 06:19 AM
I am wondering if its because the old greens keepers sheds will be coming down and the 27th tee will not be a safe area ?

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkCould very well be.

I'm playing tomorrow morning so will ask what's going on.

Ferrins
12th May 2020, 06:53 AM
Joy factor quite low playing old track with 6 par 3 holes in play.

shazza_rs
12th May 2020, 08:30 AM
Joy factor quite low playing old track with 6 par 3 holes in play.

No different to the other 9 holes they had in play. There were 4 par 3’s in that nine too......

Ferrins
12th May 2020, 09:58 AM
Are some of those par 4's for you?

Ferrins
12th May 2020, 01:35 PM
And the weekend is full. Go on a waitlist for a 5 hour round, no thanks.

perci
13th May 2020, 03:52 PM
Gee some people are hard to please !

Ferrins
13th May 2020, 04:34 PM
Easily pleased with normal speed of play.

Ferrins
11th July 2020, 05:03 PM
Tomorrow before 8am no tee times for Nudgee.
24 free at RQ.

Hux
11th July 2020, 05:18 PM
24 free at RQ.

Fascinating observation on the course there Ferret [emoji2957]

gazgolf1
11th July 2020, 06:00 PM
24 free at RQ.

Just means the toffs don't like getting up early.

Ferrins
11th July 2020, 08:09 PM
Simply pointing out that Nudgee is doing well.

peter_rs
14th July 2020, 08:10 PM
The new runway adds to the feel

Ferrins
19th September 2020, 04:30 AM
"If you have friends you’d like to play with at what is quickly becoming the best golf club in Brisbane, "

Ferrins
19th January 2021, 04:59 PM
Any timeframe on 27th becoming a par 5?

Jarro
22nd January 2021, 09:46 PM
More new holes opening this weekend ....

Ferrins
23rd January 2021, 06:37 AM
The par 4’s 10,16 & 14 playing as par 3’s for a bit.

Is 27 now a par 5?

What hole number will the old South 18th be and is that in play?

AndyP
23rd January 2021, 07:02 AM
When is this place worth playing again?

gazgolf1
24th January 2021, 01:11 PM
When is this place worth playing again?

It's worth playing now, even though there is tons of construction going on the new holes are really good with big undulating greens, cool bunkering and if you are lucky you might see me out there. Perci has found a driver he likes and is hitting it as far as he has in years. The normal crew is out there plus some blow ins from RQ, come join the fun.

AndyP
24th January 2021, 01:29 PM
It's worth playing now, even though there is tons of construction going on the new holes are really good with big undulating greens, cool bunkering and if you are lucky you might see me out there. Perci has found a driver he likes and is hitting it as far as he has in years. The normal crew is out there plus some blow ins from RQ, come join the fun.
Maybe. Are Sundays usually chockers in the comp at the moment? I

markTHEblake
24th January 2021, 03:13 PM
Perci has found a driver he likes and is hitting it as far as he has in years.
so he will be keeping that one for 3 weeks then?

gazgolf1
24th January 2021, 04:42 PM
Maybe. Are Sundays usually chockers in the comp at the moment? I

you can usually get on as a single.

gazgolf1
24th January 2021, 04:43 PM
so he will be keeping that one for 3 weeks then?

no I think this one's a keeper.

Ferrins
30th January 2021, 04:46 PM
A few more of the new holes for me today.

thecollective
30th January 2021, 05:45 PM
A few more of the new holes for me today.

Did you suffer any sea sickness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyP
1st April 2021, 11:28 AM
How wet is Nudgee at the moment? I'm looking for a venue for a Sunday hit.

Ferrins
1st April 2021, 04:45 PM
Most accurate is how deep and sloshy the buggy tyre ruts are. Playing tomorrow so will let you know.

shazza_rs
2nd April 2021, 08:46 AM
Pete’s playing today so can give you an update

Hux
2nd April 2021, 09:56 AM
New 8th is in full play as of today.....par 5 finishes beside the original 1st green.
Index 1 par 5 on current rating I believe as only the big boomers off the back tee can reliably carry the water and its water all the way down the left and half way down the right.
And Andy unless it rains bad all the new holes are playing as if there has been no rain.

Ferrins
2nd April 2021, 11:18 AM
https://www.hole19golf.com/australia/nudgee-golf-club-gateway

AndyP
2nd April 2021, 12:27 PM
And Andy unless it rains bad all the new holes are playing as if there has been no rain.Thanks, Hux. My playing partner says that he can only play morning now, and I know those slots are scarce at Nudgee.

Hux
3rd April 2021, 06:28 AM
Sounds like its going to rain anyway

AndyP
3rd April 2021, 08:16 AM
I actually did get in at 6:48a. I'll be annoyed if he pulls the pin now, as I would have played somewhere this morning otherwise.

gazgolf1
4th April 2021, 02:29 PM
36 pts with birdie on the last, not bad AndyP considering the constant drizzle, how was the course?

AndyP
4th April 2021, 05:09 PM
Stalker!!!!

Not bad. I enjoyed the finishing holes which had been completed, but there were way too many par 3s in the current temporary setup (8 in total). I'm never a fan of buried elephants in greens either.

It would be best to come back next after everything is finished.

Ferrins
4th April 2021, 05:15 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3rax27_ZIVM

gazgolf1
4th April 2021, 07:51 PM
. I'm never a fan of buried elephants in greens either.

yeah there are a few of those now.

peter_rs
5th April 2021, 11:47 AM
There will be more with all the greens to be done now

AndyP
5th April 2021, 11:54 AM
Do you guys like the greens? I felt it made birdie opportunities a fair bit harder, as you had to get pretty close for a more straight forward putt.

gazgolf1
5th April 2021, 12:11 PM
Do you guys like the greens?

I love them, after being a member there since 2004ish and experiencing 2 courses with pretty boring greens the new ones represent a real challenge in putting your approach on the proper side of the hole to make a birdie possible. I'm not saying I'm good enough to do that but I've put myself in some spots on the new greens where due to the slopes a 2 putt par from 20 feet was no bargain. It has been fun learning where you can hit it on certain greens and where you cannot.

AndyP
5th April 2021, 12:14 PM
Hopefully they don't start putting pins in ridiculous positions on 18, especially from the back tees, because I don't recall seeing multiple slopes like that on a green.

gazgolf1
5th April 2021, 12:34 PM
Keen to play it off those back tees, we measured it the other day and it will play about 150m normally into the prevailing northerly.

markTHEblake
5th April 2021, 04:00 PM
Hopefully they don't start putting pins in ridiculous positions on 18, especially from the back tees, because I don't recall seeing multiple slopes like that on a green.
have you forgotten the 17th at Pacific Harbour?

AndyP
5th April 2021, 04:20 PM
Have you seen 18 at Nudgee? They are cliff like drops.

BUSHY
5th April 2021, 05:24 PM
Have you seen 18 at Nudgee? They are cliff like drops.

It’s an interesting green that’s for sure.

Ferrins
5th April 2021, 05:51 PM
It’s an interesting green that’s for sure.

Took us 5 hrs to get to it!

markTHEblake
5th April 2021, 05:56 PM
Have you seen 18 at Nudgee? They are cliff like drops. No. How is it compared to New 1st at City?

AndyP
6th April 2021, 06:07 AM
No. How is it compared to New 1st at City?Much steeper.

BUSHY
6th April 2021, 06:15 AM
Took us 5 hrs to get to it!

[emoji2962]

markTHEblake
6th April 2021, 09:57 AM
Much steeper.ok thats steep then.

AndyP
6th April 2021, 10:18 AM
This doesn't show much except the bit where there are four close lines on the green, which means steep.
https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53225&stc=1

The pin was front right on Sunday, which while scary, wasn't a bad target at 103m from the forward tees.

This Facebook post has a picture of it in the background.
https://www.facebook.com/nudgeegolfclub/posts/4134417379925169

Sydney Hacker
6th April 2021, 10:54 AM
What sort of speed do they run the greens at?

AndyP
6th April 2021, 11:40 AM
What sort of speed do they run the greens at?
You'd have to ask a local if they know a number. It took a bit for me to get used to the faster speed on the practice green compared to what I putt on in the Western suburbs.

gazgolf1
6th April 2021, 05:41 PM
https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53234&stc=1 This is the green in question.

Ferrins
6th April 2021, 06:02 PM
The chummy Sunday foursome.