PDA

View Full Version : Concord G.C

agave
29th August 2008, 03:24 PM
Played at concord yesterday in a charity day and now i am putting it in my top 5 courses ive played ever .
It was in magnificent condition , tough as hell in a stiff southerly ,greens like car bonnets ,in a 2 ball ambrose day even par won the scratch
If it was closer to where i live id be in like a shot at membership , but i think its very exxy.
Dont know the green fees (if you can get on ) but money well spent in my opinion.

burger
29th August 2008, 03:33 PM
Doesn't Concord have an open to all day somewhere near christmas???

I played at Muirfield on Tuesday and their greens were fkn quick too, meanwhile RSO greens are medium/normal speed and fast become wintergrass greens YUK!

kwantfm
29th August 2008, 03:56 PM
It's about an 8 year waiting list. Play by member invitation only or via a corporate day. Don't know of any open days to all (ever).

Andrew
29th August 2008, 05:14 PM
They have had an open day comp for members of AGU clubs between Christmas & New Year each year for the last 5 or 6. A few of us played it in 2006 if I remember rightly. I think it was 80 or 90 bucks from memory.

jimandr
30th August 2008, 03:36 PM
Yep, we played in 2006.

It cost us $95, and was one of the slowest rounds ever played.

I'm glad I played the course, but it's not in my top 10. I'm in no hurry to go back at that price and that pace of play.

Grunt
30th August 2008, 05:24 PM
Yes was a very tough day.

virge666
30th August 2008, 06:33 PM
One of my favourite in Sydney.

All out good test of golf.

mikezone13
30th August 2008, 07:38 PM
Always in good condition, with some very good holes, have played a few corporate days there int he past, and yes there is an open day every year between Xmas and NY.

My mates actually run the kitchen there now, but the only time they have played it is with me on an invite to a corporate day.

Fishman Dan
30th August 2008, 08:20 PM
I found the routing very odd. The first 6 or so holes skirt around the outermost perimeter of the course. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but would find it hard to love week-in week-out.

Andrew
30th August 2008, 09:25 PM
I found the routing very odd. The first 6 or so holes skirt around the outermost perimeter of the course.

That's actually quite common, Dan. Even with Sydney's better courses you have NSW & Royal Sydney that both do it.

Historically, I think Muirfield started it, but C.B Macdonald did it at 2 of early America's most influencial courses - NGLA & Chicago, so you see it quite a lot on some of the more traditional American courses.

Sorry to get all architectural there. You can resume normal viewing now.

Fishman Dan
30th August 2008, 11:13 PM
Andrew - I played Pennant Hills and Concord in quick succession, and noticed both courses follow this principal.

Played pretty poorly at both too. ;)

Andrew
31st August 2008, 06:33 AM
Andrew - I played Pennant Hills and Concord in quick succession, and noticed both courses follow this principal.

Originally, boundaries weren’t an issue. The early links courses were mostly ‘out & back’ so you had some sort of boundary or beach effecting most holes. Of course, they didn’t really have OOB as we know it today, so boundaries were never thought of as an issue. Even Sunningdale (Old), one of the first great inland courses, follows the boundary for the first 8 holes (except for the par 3 4th), but the holes are so far away from any actual boundary it’s not a consideration.

In Sydney, it’s always a consideration these days. In saying that, NSW technically has no OOB & Royal Sydney never really feels like it encroaches, although you know it’s there, but many Sydney courses do have boundary issues that could have been alleviated with better routing plans & a little foresight in the beginning.

In your case, you are just trying to blame a pathetic golf game on boundary issues & that just won’t cut the mustard, fella!

sms316
31st August 2008, 08:37 AM
NSW technically has no OOB
Isn't the car park OOB on the first?

sms316
31st August 2008, 08:38 AM

Prone to leaking it right early on, are we?
:wink:

Dotty
31st August 2008, 03:13 PM
On the contrary at Pennant Hills. He was so successful at avoiding the roads on the right that he found high branches on the left.

Fishman Dan
1st September 2008, 09:43 AM

I've always said this game was 12 holes too long. I was pretty good off the tee that day, everthing else sucked. Probably because there was no kike sitting under the ball if it was sitting on a little wooden peg. Once it was resting on green stuff I was stuffed!

Captain Nemo
7th January 2015, 09:25 AM
Playing here tomorrow with Gammon in their once yearly 'OPEN" day.
Anyone played since the renovations/new course design?

mrbluu
7th January 2015, 09:27 AM
Playing here tomorrow with Gammon in their once yearly 'OPEN" day.
Anyone played since the renovations/new course design?
When was the renos? ?

Captain Nemo
7th January 2015, 09:29 AM
I dunno, years ago i think?
I just had a look thru the course guide and a few holes have been chopped and changed....

westy
11th January 2015, 01:25 PM
It has been fiddled with over the years by various Sydney based fiddlers, but never really lifted it into the top echelon of courses. I understand Tom Doak ( or at least his firm) has been retained to try again. It is a pleasant property, but there is no sand, and I suspect they would love another 10 acres as the current plot is just a tad small to really make a championship course. So as long as they are happy with a good members parkland course, they will be fine. Probably on a par with Avondale or Elanora, but never going to crack top 5 in town.

Captain Nemo
11th January 2015, 02:08 PM
Anyway I only saw 4 holes, then retired hurt... :(

JADO75
11th January 2015, 02:24 PM
I've never played there but had mates play there on Thursday & they were very underwhelmed for the $$

westy
11th January 2015, 03:29 PM
It is what it is. Nice but not great. But best course in the area if you don't want to schlep over to the Eastern Suburbs

TS
11th January 2015, 04:20 PM
It is ok, but nothing special. I can play there once a month from Oct to March, but seldom brother.

davepuppies
11th January 2015, 04:44 PM
I enjoyed it, green were good when I played, but I don't feel it is any better than my home track.

L what did you hurt?

mrbluu
11th January 2015, 05:16 PM
I enjoyed it, green were good when I played, but I don't feel it is any better than my home track.

L what did you hurt?
Still waiting for the invite to your home track ;-)

wazandnic
11th January 2015, 05:30 PM
Anyway I only saw 4 holes, then retired hurt... :(

What the??

Not the back again I hope!

davepuppies
11th January 2015, 06:01 PM
Still waiting for the invite to your home track ;-) Still not sure if my membership category allows it. I will check next time I play.

Grunt
11th January 2015, 06:07 PM
Played it a couple of times (when I played regularly and enjoyed golf) and to me it is just one of those courses that is good but not great.

If Sydney Golf Courses were a 10 foot ladder, Concord would be somewhere between the 7th and 8th rung, hmm I thing I may have stumbled on Grunt's new level of rating golf courses.

Captain Nemo
11th January 2015, 07:20 PM

L what did you hurt?

What the??

Not the back again I hope!

Rt Shoulder.
Hurt it wakeboarding the fri before.
Thought it would be ok, but I was very wrong....
Big chance I'll miss the Vic champs....

mrbluu
11th January 2015, 09:44 PM
Rt Shoulder.
Hurt it wakeboarding the fri before.
Thought it would be ok, but I was very wrong....
Big chance I'll miss the Vic champs....
Oh no mate. Hope u recover in time!!!

wazandnic
11th January 2015, 10:19 PM
Bugger!

What mr B said...

westy
12th January 2015, 01:32 PM
Def a club you would be happy to join if you lived in the area. Not cheap however

PerryGroves
12th January 2015, 03:26 PM

I filmed it, wasn't good

Coldtopper
12th January 2015, 07:16 PM

I filmed it, wasn't good, then again I cant get the gif to work......mods. Nice ass! When did Titty have a shave?

Captain Nemo
12th January 2015, 08:08 PM
:)

mrbluu
12th January 2015, 09:19 PM
Pure GOLD PG!!!

Micdeez
13th January 2015, 05:31 PM
Hmm our company hosts corporate days at this place. Due to play here hopefully in March when it's on.

Sounds like most people don't particularly rate this course!

westy
15th January 2015, 02:59 PM
No it is a good course, just not a great course. As long as you don't go in with expectations of it being Royal Melbourne you will have a pleasant day. Sydney is poorly served for quality golf and Concord is about as good as you get in that part of town

jocker
5th November 2015, 02:30 PM
Anyone aware of the status of memberships at Concord? Open or waiting list?

Jazz18
11th November 2015, 04:41 PM
Would be best to check with the club I suspect. Expensive and hard to get into last I heard. Played there a few years back and was very underwhelmed. Maybe I was expecting too much because I had heard it was absolutely pure. It was nice but not mega good.

Driving Range Pro
26th February 2016, 12:13 PM
Played there last Friday for a social game in the afternoon as Pennant Hills was closed for a charity day. Played behind Popeye as he's a life member. Hadn't played there in a number of years and got on the 5th tee... Dog-leg right. Got up on the tree's and no one in our group could see anybody so assumed it was safe to hit.

I hit driver over the tree's on the right... all of a sudden Popeye comes running out from behind the tree's waving his arms like a mad man... I figured I must've gone close to hitting him. It was very awkward as I wanted to get a photo with him later in the round. As he was walking off the next tee I went to apologise.

Popeye: "Geez mate, you hit me on the fly"
Me: "Oh sorry. Where abouts"
Popeye: "On me foot!!!"

Made for a very awkward rest of the round. He was very grumpy even 10 holes later.

Other than that it was an outstanding course. A lot of intricacies in the greens and they played very well. Some strong par 5's and interesting par 4's. The 13th was a particular highlight (I'm a sucker for a good short par 4). The 14th is also a great little par 3. 15th is also a highlight. It's got an outstanding finish really.

Captain Nemo
26th February 2016, 12:18 PM
I've heard they have let the head pro go and the club will run the pro shop.
Also they are going to do some remodelling of the course, God only knows why...

3oneday
26th February 2016, 12:38 PM
all of a sudden Popeye comes running out from behind the tree's waving his arms like a mad man... would have been more a slow canter?

:)

Dotty
26th February 2016, 01:56 PM
You're the second person this week that's told me he hit Paz on the foot. ;)

Welcome aboard, and glad that you found the place.