PDA

View Full Version : Links courses

Golfgirl
15th May 2004, 10:36 AM
I just finished reading the June Aust Golf Digest article on Shinnecock and I have to say that I am really looking forward to seeing the US Open there this year. :D

It is interesting that all of my golf until now have been played on non-links style golf courses, and that I always thought that true "links" courses looked barren and boring. I have completely revised my opinions - I have now had the pleasure (torture? :? ) of playing regularly on a links course and I am beginning to appreciate just how subtle and difficult they can be, and how much the wind is a factor.... :shock:

What do you guys think of links courses? Do you prefer them over regular courses or vice versa? Do you play better or worse on them?

(And no - this is not a thread about golf course architecture! :wink: )

goughy
16th May 2004, 06:41 AM
I've never played a links style course. But I'll play golf on anything. A day on a bad course is better than spending it at work. I do understand the wind factor though. We can get some big winds on the back 9 of our course. And the last time we played the greens were shaved real close so the wind even had a big effect on some putts. Just ask jarro about his putt on the 10th.

Golfgirl
16th May 2004, 09:26 AM
OK - I'll bite - Jarro? What happened to your putt on the 10th?

(We have a par 4 here that is a mere 220m from the reds and plays straight uphill. On a good day, I can drive to about 30m short of the green, on a bad day who knows what club you'll need?? :shock: It is so exposed that it becomes nearly impossible to get the ball on the putting surface.... :? )