PDA

View Full Version : Driver re-shafting question

amanda
25th August 2008, 08:55 AM
A few games ago the head of my driver was coming loose - Virge666 was kind enough to remove the head and gave me some instructions for putting the whole thing back together.

I was to sand off the excess glue and then use a 2-part epoxy to glue the head to the shaft.

Of course - I got Brad to do the sanding and removal of excess glue 8) - but then he had a question! Without glue he put the shaft into the hosel to make sure the fit wasn't too tight - and found there was a decent amount of wiggle room around the shaft.

Is this how it's supposed to be? Do I simply use enough glue so it doesn't wiggle around? (Ben from TPG originally made the club as a demo about 4 yrs ago)

Help!

sms316
25th August 2008, 08:58 AM
Just add glue.

If it was tight, where would the glue go?

amanda
25th August 2008, 09:08 AM
sms - the room is 2-3mm all around - I'm a bit worried that even with the room of the glue it might not set square/straight. I don't have a vice to hold the shaft so that I could rest the head on a box or something to hold it in the right spot.

sms316
25th August 2008, 09:09 AM
sms - the room is 2-3mm all
Ok - that changes things. It should be loose, but not that loose.

Grunt
25th August 2008, 09:17 AM
Did Brad sand it too much?

peter_rs
25th August 2008, 09:34 AM
you may need a shim

3oneday
25th August 2008, 09:52 AM
Just mix some fine sand into the glue, that'll thicken it up enough.

chappy1970
25th August 2008, 09:54 AM
I second Brad's suggestion, I used a shim on a TM driver, worked a treat

amanda
25th August 2008, 10:13 AM
ok - where the heck do I get a shim?

pete - thanks for the sand suggestion also :)

sms316
25th August 2008, 10:15 AM

Thailand?

Never mind...

Grunt
25th August 2008, 10:16 AM

pete - thanks for the sand suggestion also :)

Shims are found on Oxford St Amanda ;)

Seriously though you should be able to get one from Virge.

virge666
25th August 2008, 10:22 AM
Just mix some fine sand into the glue, that'll thicken it up enough.

OK - all this depends on how much sanding was done . . .

2-3mm means that you have 4-6mm of filler to fill.. this all equals throw the shaft away sort of territory.

To be honest - if some fine sand doesn;t work you would have weakened the walls of the shaft so much anyway - you can either tip it or chuck it out.

I would need to see the actual shaft to give you a better idea.

amanda
25th August 2008, 11:10 AM
Hi Virge - Brad sanded off all the glue until you could see the original shaft. I'll have a closer measure this evening of how much wiggle room there is.

goonie
25th August 2008, 11:46 AM
You could try cutting up a coke can and make a shim.

virge666
25th August 2008, 11:54 AM
You could try cutting up a coke can and make a shim.

A shim is designed to work with a .335 hosel to fit into a .350 hosel head.

The problem here is not the hosel size - it is how much has been sanded off. If the shaft walls have been weakened by excessive sanding... the shaft will snap after two or three hits.

I am all for the shim - but it depends on how much shaft you have left to "shim" it into.

Enjoy

peter_rs
25th August 2008, 03:57 PM
how do you know that the shaft was not just put in with lots of glue in the first place?

You pulled the shaft is it possible?

virge666
25th August 2008, 04:10 PM
how do you know that the shaft was not just put in with lots of glue in the first place?

You pulled the shaft is it possible?

It is possible - but I was teh one who pulled the head off, so not in this case.

Ben V down in Melbourne is the one who assembled it... so I also doubt this has happened with this club.

You can do this - but the ferrule will normally be out of whack and pretty easy to spot.