PDA

View Full Version : computer question

wavemaker
18th November 2004, 01:11 PM
gooday all, this little thing really bugs me. what is the go when you get a little white box with a red x in it. often appears where an avatar should be.
another thing is that i have one of those little clips of a bloke swinging a club and every now and then it just dissapears and i get that little box thingy. why is it so? thanks in advance.

Fishman Dan
18th November 2004, 02:52 PM
It means that the image that should appear as an avatar is missing/damaged or you do not have permission to view it.

For instance, i think it's Ducky's Tiger Woods avatar, but because he links to it "living" on another website on the internet (different to the rest of us who select a picture to 'upload' to OzGolf), my work network won't allow my web-browser to go there and look at it - therefore i see the Red-X (not the putter variety).

Who's avatar is it you cannot get to?

wavemaker
18th November 2004, 03:00 PM
thanks fishman. i will make a note of one next time it happens and let you know.

Ducky
18th November 2004, 03:04 PM
It can be due to a number of things. These may include:

- Webhost downtime (where the image is stored)
- Incorrect URL path
- Connection timeout
- Disabled hotlinking
- Firewall configuration

another thing is that i have one of those little clips of a bloke swinging a club and every now and then it just dissapears and i get that little box thingy.
More than likely it is due to the webhost downtime (where you are linking the image from) or they could have also potentially tried to disable hotlinking (where an image is unable to be viewed from another website).

Like Dan already touched on, if possible, you should save the image and then upload it to OzGolf (so that as long as this website is accessible, the image will be too).

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

wavemaker
18th November 2004, 04:14 PM
hey thanks for that ducky, looks like i might just have to put up with it. sounds a bit above my very limited comp skills. with the firewall thing, what should i look for to see if thats the issue? thanks again.

markTHEblake
18th November 2004, 09:25 PM
right click on the X and choose show picture.

If its still not there, it aint your fault....:-)

wavemaker
19th November 2004, 04:59 AM
thanks blakey. done that and nuddings, so im the good guy.

markTHEblake
19th November 2004, 06:49 PM
On second thoughts, this version of phpBB (the forum thingy), has some issues with certain types of URL's (web address thingy), that include scripting. This was deliberate by the authors for security reasons.

Right click on the Red X and choose properties, Copy the URL and paste it into your browser and Go, the image might appear then.