PDA

View Full Version : Sliver Solar and the oil companies

poidda
19th August 2008, 09:10 AM
So has anyone been following the development of Sliver Solar Technology and what has been happening with the oil companies in the last month or so.

For starters if you don't know what sliver is, it's the next generation of cheap solar panels that will be able to be easily implemented on practically any surface. Here's an overview. http://www.originenergy.com.au/SLIVER

This technology was developed at the ANU and Origin Energy jumped on board years ago (I think 2002 or there about) throwing a shyte load of cash. It is due to start producing these panels sometimes this year, and it's tipped to revolutionise the solar industry, and as a result the power industry.

Here's the issue though. In the past month a bidding war has started for the takeover of Origin Energy by some of the big names in the oil indusrty. BP and Shell are even talking about a joint venture. This may have nothing to so with Sliver Technology, but it makes you wonder what will happen if the oil companies get hold of the pattent? Yes it could be a conspiricy, but.....

http://business.smh.com.au/business/shell-and-bp-join-pursuit-of-origin-energy-20080803-3pbi.html

Just a thought.

Grunt
19th August 2008, 09:13 AM
Might be a bit like the how the car companies bought Ralph Sarich's orbital engine and never used it.

poidda
19th August 2008, 09:15 AM
Might be a bit like the how the car companies bought Ralph Sarich's orbital engine and never used it.

Yeah that's my point Grunt. Surely the "Green Governments" couldn't let this happen these. Unless of course it suits them.

PeteyD
19th August 2008, 09:32 AM
No government is green. It is politically savvy to appear green, but only why people are concerned about it.

3oneday
19th August 2008, 10:32 AM
Spam

poidda
19th August 2008, 10:39 AM
Spam

Candidate for an ignore? ;)

amanda
19th August 2008, 12:08 PM
I've been following the Sliver project with some interest over the last few years. Fingers crossed that whoever buys Origin will keep it going - they are currently in commercial testing and the product could half the cost of solar panels.