PDA

View Full Version : Video Cameras

gazgolf1
13th August 2008, 04:02 PM
Whose got one?

I'm interested in the pros and cons of hard drive cameras vs mini disc etc.

I don't mind spending a bit for quality.

AndyP
13th August 2008, 04:33 PM
You might want to consider what you are going to do with the video afterwards, Gaz. Are you going to be editing it on a PC afterwards making up nice movies with menus, etc OR will you be playing back exactly what you have recorded?

I bought mine before DVD, mini-disc and HDD were affordable, but I'd probably go for HDD now. I think this is yet another thing that Choice have an article on.

gazgolf1
13th August 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm not much of an editor Andy so I will be probably just storing what I've recorded on my PC and deleting the crap.

Moe Norman
13th August 2008, 04:56 PM
Gaz,

before my little one was born, I went out and bought the best video camera I could buy.

I have used it about twice since.

You will find that you never have the need for extensive use of it, and the video recroding feature found on most modern digital camera's is enough to get you by easily.

Some people may be different though, but that is definately my experience.

gazgolf1
13th August 2008, 05:13 PM
Taking it into the birthing room ?

Not going down the bad end tho. ;)

AndyP
13th August 2008, 05:16 PM
I agree Moe. We used it plenty for Mitchell, but it's hardly made an appearance with our second boy. And the footage we did take is still sitting on tapes or on my hard drive and haven't been sighted. I had grand plans for making DVDs to send off to relatives, but it was too time consuming.

Jarro
13th August 2008, 05:25 PM
Not going down the bad end tho. ;)

Both ends are as bad as each other in the birthing room :lol:

Rusty
14th August 2008, 09:55 PM
yeah, just use any modern digital camera. our Panasonic Lumix DMZ-TZ15 works fine (review of the same USA TZ5 model here (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/)). 9.1megapixels and 10x optical zoom.

gazgolf1
15th August 2008, 05:16 AM
I might give it a crack this weekend with the digital camera,ta boys. :)

moree golfer
19th January 2009, 12:40 PM
After searching for old threads on Video Cameras I found this one rather than start a new thread.

We got some cash from Xmas to put towards a digital video camera and we will use it predominantly for taking footage of our 12 mth old girl and my golf swing. So needs to be good in full light and indoors, have a sports mode for taking swing footage and generally easy to use. I don't see the need to go HiDef, SD should do. Has anyone thoughts on where to look, what model/brand is better?

Moe Norman
19th January 2009, 12:47 PM
see my comments above mate.

the viedo recording feature on any small hand held point and shoot is more than enough.

Toolish
19th January 2009, 12:55 PM
if you are using it for a golf swing you don't want a 'sports' mode. You want a manually controlled shutter speed.

In sports mode the camera decides how fast the shutter can operate in the given light to keep good picture quality. In any sort of low light it goes to a fairly low shutter speed.

For a manually controlled shutter speed you can set the speed yourself. The picture may come out a bit dull and not look as nice, but for a technical swing analysis it is a better option.

Also, apparently tape still gives the best quality of footage, not 100% sure on that though.

moree golfer
19th January 2009, 12:56 PM
Ta Moe. What brand did you get? Would you buy the same brand again is upgrading? From what I've found Sony, Panasonic and JVC are the leaders in video cams.

moree golfer
19th January 2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks Toolish. I thought I read DV tapes were going to be phased out which is a shame. Can't get in the road of progress huh.

zigwah
19th January 2009, 01:17 PM
I just recently purchased a JVC Everio, it takes SDHC card and 35 optical zoom, we are using it for the same things as you are, picture quality on a 42" plasma is really good, couldn't be happier with it for 399 with bag and extra battery from the good guys.

GZ-MS100AA

schwartzy
19th January 2009, 01:32 PM
I have to agree with Toolish, DV tape does give you the best quality. All DVD or HD recorders compress to MPEG as therefore you do not have the full spectrum of audio and video data. A friend works at Michaels and guided our purchase just before the birth of our son. My wife went into labour very quickly so I left our bags in the car out the front of the hospital, planning to come back later after checking my wife in. My son arrived shortly afterwards and as my video and camera were still in the car, we only have a couple of photos from the birthing suite camera. My wife still has not forgiven me.

Moe Norman
19th January 2009, 01:42 PM
Mine is a Panasonic number I bought in 2006, was top of the range and records directly to little DVD's or DVD Ram.

I hardly use it, because the quality of video I get from my little hand held point and shoot camera's (Canon Ixus and an Olympus thing) are more than enough for what I use it for.

I was going to sell it before I realised how little they are worth second hand.

moree golfer
20th January 2009, 10:37 AM
I just recently purchased a JVC Everio, it takes SDHC card and 35 optical zoom, we are using it for the same things as you are, picture quality on a 42" plasma is really good, couldn't be happier with it for 399 with bag and extra battery from the good guys.

GZ-MS100AA
I am looking at a JVC Everio with SDHC card. Does it have the ability to manually adjust shutter speed?

zigwah
20th January 2009, 07:49 PM
The newer ones may but mine doesn't

moree golfer
21st January 2009, 03:05 PM
Have you slowed down footage and is it clear zigwah?

zigwah
21st January 2009, 03:34 PM
for standard definition, i was totally blown away how good the image is even when slowed down, i reckon i could tell some people it was hd and i think they would believe me, and can be a bit scratchy if you move around too much but for 399 i'm not complaining.

I also read somewhere that the only real fault with this cam is it wassnt very good in low light, we used it all night new years eve outside, with only party lights and it did a fantastic job in the low light.