PDA

View Full Version : Saturday comps in Sydney

Coogee Beach
11th August 2008, 05:10 PM
Gday.

Anyone recommend Sydney courses, and surrounds, that take members of other clubs in their Saturday comps?

Beverley Park's got the interesting system of stuffing the mornings full of social clubs.

Cheers.

Scottt
11th August 2008, 05:16 PM
Bardwell Valley does, as does Marrickville.

I read somewhere that Glenmore does too.

TS
11th August 2008, 05:18 PM
Don't forget that great course Macarthur Grange.

3oneday
11th August 2008, 07:24 PM
Almost had, thanks for that :p

:lol:

Wrong Fairway
11th August 2008, 07:52 PM
Its a bit of a trek, but Katoomba welcome players with open arms.

But hey kill two birds with one stone and get the missus hitting the shops on Katoomba ST and Leura mall, then she can pick you up when you are done.

3oneday
11th August 2008, 07:54 PM
I tell my wife golf takes 7 hours, that will never work :lol:

Wrong Fairway
11th August 2008, 08:44 PM
It will work but you will be broke with all of the shopping she does while you"golf"

Fishman Dan
11th August 2008, 09:17 PM
Gordon I believe is also now accepting auslanders. Come along for a bit of preferred lie golf.

Grunt
11th August 2008, 09:25 PM
Might have to take you up on one of these hits Dan.

Fishman Dan
11th August 2008, 09:51 PM
Might have to take you up on one of these hits Dan.

With limited opportunities for me these days I'll keep you posted about a suitable time/date.

jimandr
11th August 2008, 10:34 PM
To the best of my knowledge there are very few 'good' options for a Saturday Open Day. Let's face it, Saturday is golf day for many members, so most courses are full with members, therefore they don't need to open it up to others.

Glenmore is the best of this crappy bunch:

Rosnay
Georges River (Riverwood)
Macarthur Grange
Hurstville.

Of course, there is the other extreme. Riverside Oaks and Camden Lakeside both offer the option of entering 'the comp' on top of your very high weekend green fee.

burger
12th August 2008, 10:03 AM
Wentworth Falls accept you, no, WELCOME you into their fairly quiet Saturday comp.
Friendly too!
stu

Hooker
12th August 2008, 08:46 PM
Its a bit of a trek, but Katoomba welcome players with open arms.

But hey kill two birds with one stone and get the missus hitting the shops on Katoomba ST and Leura mall, then she can pick you up when you are done.

Yeh , welcomes players with open arms . Wonder why .

Played there a few months ago and what a stuff up, this is an example of a good course stuffed up by developers.

Anybody who remembers Katoomba as a good Blue Mountains course should see what a shambles of a course this now is.

Will never go back there again.

Wrong Fairway
12th August 2008, 09:20 PM
The developers havent touched the course.

They have only spent a few million on the clubhouse and are building 120 odd houses near the clubhouse.

Maybe you didnt like the challenging course and unforgiving rough/hazards??

This course is soon to be the postcard course of the mountains.

PS I think I may have found a few of your balls...thanks

jimandr
12th August 2008, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't mind doing a few Saturday trips into the Blue Mtns to sample the courses. Leura is the only one I've ever played.

Not at this time of the year though. I'm a wimp in the cold weather.

Grunt
12th August 2008, 09:47 PM
Will do something in the warmer weather Jim, I want ot go to Blackheath, My uncle was Captain ther for years. He woulld not play with me until I was off 12 or less. He is still off 4 or the like at 70+ yo

Andrew
12th August 2008, 10:14 PM
Anybody who remembers Katoomba as a good Blue Mountains course should see what a shambles of a course this now is.

I don't think anybody would remember Katoomba as a good course.

Fishman Dan
13th August 2008, 07:09 AM
Will do something in the warmer weather Jim, I want ot go to Blackheath, My uncle was Captain ther for years. He woulld not play with me until I was off 12 or less. He is still off 4 or the like at 70+ yo

Sounds like a single-figure snob. You don't want to play with people like that.

Hooker
13th August 2008, 07:21 AM
The developers havent touched the course.

They have only spent a few million on the clubhouse and are building 120 odd houses near the clubhouse.

Maybe you didnt like the challenging course and unforgiving rough/hazards??

This course is soon to be the postcard course of the mountains.

PS I think I may have found a few of your balls...thanks

you have reached your twilight years or for any other reason you struggle to drive beyond 150 metres, then this course will pose a good challenge. At less than 5200 metres from the BACK TEES this course is very short and no amount of design effort can hide this shortcoming. Of course it has some good short holes – it would have to! Do yourself a favour and play on either of the two courses just before Katoomba.

This golf course review was posted on another site.
Think this course is now the Blue Mountains geriatric course.

Scottt
13th August 2008, 10:19 AM
Bullshit that Katoomba hasn't been touched by the developers. Holes were closed or re-routed as much as 7 or 8 years ago.

It was a shizen course to begin with though.

Wenty Falls and Blackheath are the picks of the Mountains, then Springwood and Leura. If not for the view down the valley from the 13th or 14th green, no one would speak much of Leura, in my opinion.

Over the Mountains, you must stop at Kandos and play Henbury. If they cut it up and moved it to Sydney, it'd be $5K+ a year with a queue a mile long to play it.

burger
13th August 2008, 02:59 PM
Leura: If not for the view down the valley from the 13th or 14th green, no one would speak much of Leura, in my opinion.

Yup, I gotta agree . . . . one good view amongst plenty of ORDINARY.:roll:

stu

Scottt
13th August 2008, 03:22 PM
Bullshit that Katoomba hasn't been touched by the developers. Holes were closed or re-routed as much as 7 or 8 years ago.

Here's what I was referring to:

http://bluemountains.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/club-facing-crisis/202125.aspx

http://bluemountains.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/tee-off-date-nears-for-golf-course-development/245157.aspx

Goat track, but that didn't keep Walter Hagen away:
http://bluemountains.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/katoomba-golf-club-turns-80/424974.aspx

LOL. Work to be completed by late 2004 :lol: :lol:
http://bluemountains.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/work-starts-on-golf-course-upgrade/390942.aspx

Wrong Fairway
13th August 2008, 05:15 PM
Play it and find out.

I play the four courses up here reguarly.

I wouldnt join any other club.

PM me and I will join you and buy you a beer.

Scottt
14th August 2008, 09:16 AM
I play the four courses up here reguarly.

I wouldnt join any other club.

Of the BMDGA courses I have played Springwood, Lawson (defunct), Wenty Falls, Leura, Blackheath, Lithgow, Portland, Henbury, Mudgee, Gulgong, Portland and Bathurst and I have walked Katoomba a few times.

Are you saying you wouldn't prefer to play Wenty Falls or Blackheath, even Leura, over Katoomba?!

Why do you rate Katoomba above the other courses?

Hooker
14th August 2008, 05:21 PM
Of the BMDGA courses I have played Springwood, Lawson (defunct), Wenty Falls, Leura, Blackheath, Lithgow, Portland, Henbury, Mudgee, Gulgong, Portland and Bathurst and I have walked Katoomba a few times.

Are you saying you wouldn't prefer to play Wenty Falls or Blackheath, even Leura, over Katoomba?!

Why do you rate Katoomba above the other courses?

Because he is probably a geriatric.:lol::lol::lol:

Wrong Fairway
14th August 2008, 05:25 PM
It might sound pety, but I like a course on one block.
I hate road crossings.

I hate the Leura greens, yet I drink with the course super a few times a week.

Blackheath is nice, but limited playing months per year and a bit far from home.

Wenty I didnt find challenging. Too open.

Get in shit at Katoomba and you know you are in shit.

I could play par 3 courses if I wanted it easy. I like a challenge.

Katoomba clubhouse is also the pick on the hill. Great deck, great beer, fantastic bistro.

And you never miss out on a tee time.

Also it is $450 a year full rights as opposed to 560, 600 and 650 a year

Scottt
14th August 2008, 05:39 PM
And you never miss out on a tee time.

There's a good reason for that...

Nah, I can understand your points. Proximity to home is a big one for choosing a club, and I'll concede that the clubhouse deck at Katoomba is pretty nice.

Is the course still par 66?

Hooker
14th August 2008, 06:20 PM
Quote. Get in shit at Katoomba and you know you are in shit.

Spot on mate . I think that's it.

You are FULL OF SHIT .

By the way , what is the average length of the par fours at Katoomba , my guess , say around 280 meters.

Wrong Fairway
14th August 2008, 07:05 PM
Work it out yourself mate, you have all the answers.

I would say 290-310.

If you dont want to play there for whatever reason fine, piss off and play elsewhere.

Katoomba is Par 68, but I doubt Hook could par it.

Pull your head out of your arse son, you make yourself look silly.

Oh and careful crossing the road at Wenty FOUR times, you might get run over

Scottt
15th August 2008, 08:40 AM
The roads you cross at Wenty get about 4 cars an hour. If you ain't agile enough to dodge them, I have no sympathy for you.

Grunt
15th August 2008, 08:49 AM
Crossing roads! Try crossing Wentworth Ave, Eastlakes in peak hour.

Scottt
15th August 2008, 09:11 AM
The bridge is almost finished, drove past last weekend.

Hooker
15th August 2008, 02:04 PM
The roads you cross at Wenty get about 4 cars an hour. If you ain't agile enough to dodge them, I have no sympathy for you.

Agile , he's probably one of the old cootes who has trouble driving it 150mt as mentioned in the course review , that's why he likes playing the goat track as he probably finds all those short par fours challenging.

Wrong Fairway
15th August 2008, 02:37 PM
You would run if you ever met me Hooker you girls blouse

3oneday
15th August 2008, 03:03 PM
Especially if he was dressed as his avatar ;)

macjackass
16th August 2008, 01:39 AM
Especially if he was dressed as his avatar ;)

Hmmm. Apt name, too. Wondered if it cost more to take her picture?

Greeny
17th August 2008, 09:23 PM
I think Riverside Oaks ( a bit of a drive from the CBD) does do the Saturday Open comp but last time I played there (March) it was a shadow of its former self. I wonder if it's condition has picked up at all?

Fishman Dan
18th August 2008, 10:41 PM
This Saturday is the Century 21 Annual Open Day at Gordon.

If you are interested in playing a Par 65 in reasonable condition with preferred lies, PM me and I'll book a group.

Grunt
19th August 2008, 07:19 AM
Would love to Dan but am working nightshift this weekend, maybe next time.

gregh
4th October 2008, 07:17 PM
Gday all
club member from bris travelling to syd on 23/10,hav rang & emailed lots of clubs to play comp on the sat & so far best option is camden but hav to ring after 3pm on the friday ,any help would be good or if a oz golfer could fit me in anywhere please help

gregh
4th October 2008, 07:21 PM
social game friday24/10
anyone interested in a game on friday 24/10,new brighton or camden/campbletown area

Grunt
4th October 2008, 07:55 PM
Might be able to do a game on the 24th. A few options for a Open Day game too.

Grunt
4th October 2008, 07:56 PM
After 11 game would be the only proviso, finish nightshift that morning.

gregh
4th October 2008, 08:26 PM
between 11-12 would be ideal

Grunt
4th October 2008, 09:08 PM
Should be able to get a game on Camden Valley in their Open Day. PM me your details and I will look into it further.

gregh
5th October 2008, 08:31 PM
is camden valley what they used to call studley park or rugby league country club on camden valley way

Grunt
5th October 2008, 08:39 PM
Rugby league.