PDA

View Full Version : High Loft Drivers

Grunt
7th August 2008, 10:03 PM
Had a range session tonight and tried various drivers, biggest surprise was the 13* Callaway FT-i. Hit it alot straighter and alot further.

What other high loft drivers are out there? Might go on a demo tour to try the various brands.

damoocow
7th August 2008, 10:15 PM
I think this must be the new black for us hackers Grunt - I wouldn't mind trying one - peteyd is pretty happy with his - I had a look on 3balls and they are all dear - ebay is $150 +

Colin
7th August 2008, 11:20 PM
I've seen heaps of Nike stuff in high lofts - their 'Lucky thirteen' sumo is 13 degrees, and I think there's a 16 degree ladies/seniors model too.

Col

markTHEblake
7th August 2008, 11:23 PM
Interested to know if anyone can find some that are not closed.

Dotty
8th August 2008, 08:18 AM
I second MtB's post.

In the late-wooden era, my favorite 2 driving weapons were stamped 2 woods.

In the steel era, I preferred 3 woods over drivers, until trying a titanium Nike 350cc 11*. Then thought a Cobra 12* F/Speed would be the best of both worlds (and it was 460cc!).

Dead straight, but short. Turns out 4* closed face adds to 12* loft, when hit square. The search continues. (And lesson learnt to demo clubs where you can see the balls land.)

Timbo
8th August 2008, 08:52 AM
Interested to know if anyone can find some that are not closed.
I tried Virge's experiment and bought a 13* Precept EC Fuel and reshafted it. When holding it up next to an r510TP it appears to sit about the same (square/fraction open??). I goes very well & they're cheap. Not too glamorous, but who cares if it works.

Grunt
8th August 2008, 04:59 PM
Another side thing that came out of last nights session at the range was that 14* off the club face was the optimum launch angle. Is this right? I have never been on the launch monitor so I would have no idea what my launch angle is but I reckon it would be way lower than that maybe 10-11. Next driver is going ot be a bit better fitted. I have seen how much better some club/shaft combinations really are.

Scottt
8th August 2008, 05:14 PM
From memory I was told to go for 13-15* and 2500rpm as a driver launch

PeteyD
8th August 2008, 05:17 PM
I reckon my Sumo Lucky 13 is pretty square. Reshafted with an Aldila Proto MOI shaft and it is great. Starting to get some length out of it too, so I think it is doing it's job. The newer version of the Sumo (5000) also has an 11.5* available.

virge666
8th August 2008, 06:18 PM
Another side thing that came out of last nights session at the range was that 14* off the club face was the optimum launch angle.

Depends on the ball speed.

Higher ball speed = lower launch

Grunt
8th August 2008, 06:23 PM
oh ok Virge.
Where are the good Launch Monitors (mean launch monitor operators) in Sydney, I really want to get the Driver set up right with the next one.

virge666
8th August 2008, 06:45 PM
oh ok Virge.
Where are the good Launch Monitors (mean launch monitor operators) in Sydney, I really want to get the Driver set up right with the next one.

Any of the boys at Alexandria are cool. Graydon at Dee Why is also good.

Sorry to do this but if was being brutally honest, I would love to see you do some work on Pitching and high irons to see what I mean about spin and flight.

if you were to get fitted now... you spin rates and launches will be a bit "varied" - they could give a good guess on what you should be using - but it woudl not be an optimum choice. You will lose a lot of distance.

Grunt
8th August 2008, 06:47 PM
ok Virge will do, am really working hard on stopping the hip slide in the swing. When I get it right I do hit the ball quite well. Really have to stop the slide. Am doing the baseball swings too.

damoocow
8th August 2008, 07:02 PM
I reckon my Sumo Lucky 13 is pretty square. Reshafted with an Aldila Proto MOI shaft and it is great. Starting to get some length out of it too, so I think it is doing it's job. The newer version of the Sumo (5000) also has an 11.5* available.

Pete - what shaft did it have when you bought it ? - and what was wrong with it ? - asking as I am considering getting on the high loft bandwagon

PeteyD
8th August 2008, 07:10 PM
Just a stock Diamana. Virge recommended the V2 MOI shaft, but I got a good deal on the Aldila MOI shaft. The shaft replacement was always in the plan. Only ahd 1 range session with the stocky reg shaft, and it certainly was not as consistant as the one in it now.

virge666
8th August 2008, 07:13 PM
ok Virge will do, am really working hard on stopping the hip slide in the swing. When I get it right I do hit the ball quite well. Really have to stop the slide. Am doing the baseball swings too.

Fantastic mate - Sorry about the wording, didn't want to sound like too much of a prick.

That drill with the stop at the top of the backswing if just the best drill in the world for sliding back. Just try and feel really closed on the way down.

Grunt
8th August 2008, 07:20 PM
Will have to make sure I have got it right though, no good doing it with the wrong methods. Could make something bad even worse.

Pinglauncher
8th August 2008, 07:35 PM
Another side thing that came out of last nights session at the range was that 14* off the club face was the optimum launch angle. Is this right? I have never been on the launch monitor so I would have no idea what my launch angle is but I reckon it would be way lower than that maybe 10-11. Next driver is going ot be a bit better fitted. I have seen how much better some club/shaft combinations really are.

Grant if I had to hazard a guess, I reckon your driver launch could be as low as 8* or less.

I have played in the past a 13* Nike Ignite and it's face was dead square. The Launcher COMP I have now sits reasonably square at 11.5* and I cannot see myself ever going below this loft again.

Give the higher lofts a go. Much straighter and less side spin as well :wink:

Grunt
4th September 2008, 09:44 PM
Went to PowerGolf today and had a try of a few drivers

Ping G10 12* Draw gave the best figures and felt great.

I then went to Homebush range to try some more

Callaway FT-i 12 Draw
Cleveland XLS Draw

These are the club for me I just have to find the correct one and set it up correctly.

Overall Ping was the best feeling and seemed to give the best results.

Grunt
4th September 2008, 09:46 PM
The Launcher COMP I have now sits reasonably square at 11.5* and I cannot see myself ever going below this loft again.

Give the higher lofts a go. Much straighter and less side spin as well :wink:

I had a hit of one of these too was pretty good.

henno
4th September 2008, 10:15 PM
I have a Geek DCT 12* and it is a fantastic club. I originally bought it as I was looking to go for a two-driver bag for those tight fairways. But so far I am hitting it well enough for it to be my main big-dog.

I also have the 9*, in the same spec, and it gets a heap more roll, and if I hit it pure and straight does go further, but for the most part I am far more inconsistent with it.

PeteyD
5th September 2008, 07:16 AM
Try the Wilson Spine in 12*.

Captain Nemo
5th September 2008, 12:10 PM
The Ping G10 is one of the best of the new drivers out there!

just
5th September 2008, 04:58 PM
Grunt

I have the G10 in 12* Ping stock shaft in reg. FANTASTIC DRIVER!

Grunt
5th September 2008, 05:00 PM
that is what I want, Just.

Had a hit with one yesterday and will chase down the ping Demo tour to get a better hit.

adlo
5th September 2008, 10:26 PM
Surely a 12* G5 would do the trick. From what I gather the G10 is not a huge move forward. Better to spend the $$ on a shaft.

Grunt, I would look at an XLS. They are cheap. I just picked one up cheap, 3balls very good condition, it was brand new with out plastic on the head (all the stickers/barcodes still on the club). Good shaft. I have given it a few hits and the non-draw version looks like it is going to produce a high gentle fade all day long...

Grunt
6th September 2008, 07:43 AM
When I was at Powergolf the guy there told me not to bother with the XLS, just told me it was not worth the money, guess he was trying to sell me the ping hard.

adlo
6th September 2008, 08:35 AM
Why listen to a salesperson in a golf store! :)

The XLS is a much better club for the mid handicapper than the XL. More spin, more forgiveness and height.

I know people will disagree with me, but the G10 is the one that is not worth the money, no significant changes from the G5.

And if we talk price, I just landed a practically new XLS to my door for $150US. Pretty well priced driver and well worth the money Grunt.

Grunt
6th September 2008, 10:08 AM
Went out this morning to a Titleist/Cobra demo day. Had ahit with a few until I got the M speed L4v 12, what a great club. Looked to giver better results than the G10. Very nice club, can put up with the loud bang when the ball comes off the face if it stays as well as it was performing at the range.

damoocow
6th September 2008, 04:16 PM
This might sound stupid but I am actually liking the sound now

Grunt
6th September 2008, 04:39 PM
Another thing that has got me going for the high loft driver is a tip on ball flight that is a sort of quick fix/tip on ballflight. It is in relation to the back fence at Homebush Driving range. It is Correct ballflight for a Driver there is twice the height of the fence. With the higher loft drivers I have been getting that height. With my TM R7 460 I only get just over it in height.

Grunt
11th September 2008, 11:23 AM
Committed to having one now, just ordered a Cobra L4v M speed 12*.

3oneday
11th September 2008, 11:29 AM
Do you get earplugs with the order ?

I'll get some for Jim ;)

:lol:

burger
11th September 2008, 03:22 PM
From my memory of Homebush is the back fence is pretty damn high . . . . :shock:
I'm pretty sure I dont hit my short irons that high . . . . . .

Of course I am 'older' and my memory may be getting dim. . .:-k
stu.

Grunt
12th September 2008, 10:19 PM
Was called this afternoon to say my club is in the store today, can't get there to pick it up until Sunday.:? But will have in time for golf next week =P~

TippyToz
13th September 2008, 06:09 AM
The Wishon 919THI High Launch model is 13 degrees and .5 closed - is a very good looking and performing club. With a driver of this loft it would be unusual to find a square face angle but some are less noticeably closed than others. Generally this is an ideal loft for a high percentage of all golfers to achieve optimum launch angle and spin rate for maximum carry however there are a lot more considerations than just maximum carry to obtain an all round good performing driver.

henno
13th September 2008, 08:27 AM
With a driver of this loft it would be unusual to find a square face angle but some are less noticeably closed than others.

The Geek DCT I mentioned is square. There is even a 14 degree. :shock:

damoocow
23rd March 2009, 10:42 PM
Anyone hit a Nike SQ Sumo 16 degree driver ? - have only ever seen them in Aust. in seniors flex but 3balls have them in reg - I just love those big heads and need something for those 200m par 3's and sick of experimenting with fairway woods

markTHEblake
23rd March 2009, 11:39 PM
Eat more Spinach Damo!

grandmasterb
24th March 2009, 02:56 PM
Best high loft driver is the Macgreggor 13.5* hands down IMO

Russ
24th March 2009, 03:03 PM
I have a Cleveland Hibore XL in 16* (R Flex) - never hit a driver straighter. Lose about 20-30 metres from my 10.5* Launcher - but unlike the Launcher, for whatever reason, I never slice it.

henno
24th March 2009, 03:14 PM
for whatever reason

That reason would be backspin.

grandmasterb
24th March 2009, 03:41 PM
That reason would be backspin.

More so that one has a slightly more open face which results in better position at impact which equates to less backspin creating a straighter shot.

IMO if he's hitting the 16* better than a 10.5* then he needs to look at his impact position as it sounds like he's coming down too steeply which will also cause that sliced shape shot cause you are forcing the arms/hands through to react with the swing path of the body!!!

Either way you hit what works for you and let the score card do the talking if your playing partners have a dig ;)

henno
24th March 2009, 03:46 PM
That is all good and well, but open face or not, a 16* driver is going to put a shitload more backspin on the ball which will keep it straighter without question.

Chris32
24th March 2009, 04:04 PM
My FTi spins more than my 3 wood, and goes at least 50% higher!

Its 10*, with stock Fuji stiff. Spins heaps, no run at all

Its also allot straighter :)