PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Game - 10th August - Campbelltown GC - 11:27am

Grunt
7th August 2008, 01:28 PM
Hi All
Anyone free for a hit on Sunday? For the second week in a row the girls are out and I have been given a pass for a Sunday hit.

Campbelltown GC
11:27 Tee off

Jimandr 84/75
Grunt 93/78

macjackass
7th August 2008, 01:53 PM
Grunt, irons are here so put me down.

Grunt
7th August 2008, 08:48 PM
Where ?
When ?

jimandr
7th August 2008, 08:55 PM
I already said in your other thread that I was available.

You know that I will play anywhere, but you also know the times I prefer.

I will suggest that judging from my experience in doing a late ring around last week that Glenmore is probably the best chance of getting a free tee time.

macjackass
8th August 2008, 11:45 AM
Windsor? Any time.

Scottt
8th August 2008, 11:51 AM
Jim has unfinished business there. 8, 10 and 13: look out!

Grunt
8th August 2008, 01:57 PM
Windsor? Any time.
Windsor is a bit far for me on Sunday. As it will be a lunchtime tee time it will then be an all dayer.

Grunt
8th August 2008, 01:58 PM
How about Campbelltown? I will ring and see what is available. Will be a late morning/lunchtime tee time.

Grunt
8th August 2008, 02:48 PM
Booked Campbelltown 11:27am

Could only book 2 spots as I did not have your details Mac. Can you please pm me them and I will ring and get them added to the tee time. They could not hold the tee slots under my name.
Another spot there for anyone else who wishes to play.

Scottt
8th August 2008, 02:59 PM
What is Campbelltown like?

Grunt
8th August 2008, 03:11 PM
Green or was last time I played there. It's a course redesigned by Bob Harrison just before he linked up with Greg Normans Course Design Company. Some good holes intermixed with some very average ones.

jimandr
8th August 2008, 07:31 PM

Worth playing once. I think you'd enjoy the game.

There are some good holes, particularly when considered in isolation from each other and from the surroundings.

But the surroundings are hard to ignore. Campbelltown was perhaps the first housing estate golf course in Australia, and other designers/planners probably learnt from the mistakes.

It definitely isn't a links, though.

Andrew
8th August 2008, 09:03 PM

Scott,

Grant is (sorta) correct. It was a 'greenfield' design by Bob Harrison. That means it was designed from scratch. The old course was where the hospital is now. When they moved, Bob did the design.

When it first opened ( I played a schools comp there. I think I was in year 9 ) there were no houses around it (although, like Jim suggested, they were already planned). It was a pretty good course. although it measured just under 6000m, it was still quite a challenge as a par 72 as it require variety in the golfers shot making ability.

Then the houses started going in. Within a few years the 4th & 5th holes removed because the land they covered was considered 'prime'. Their replacements on the other side of the course are greatly inferior. The original 8th was a lovely little 332m par 4 that doglegged around a lake to the right. The green was angled so the closer you drove to the lake the better the line to the green. The development company wanted that land as well & the replacement hole is not worthy to tie the original’s shoelaces. Then the original 3rd, that later became the 16th had to be taken out of play due to complaints from the residents. Who would have thought that if you put a house too close to an existing golf course, you might get balls in your backyard.

Add to that the club choosing to go cheap on construction & the housing causing a siltration problem throughout the entire course that rendered all bunkers as G.U.R. for 9 months & you have the course as it is today.

In saying that, the original holes show traits that Bob Harrison is known for today. The main one being, greens that are either wide & shallow or thin & deep.

Grunt
9th August 2008, 05:10 PM
Anyone Joining Jim & I? Macjackass?

Grunt
9th August 2008, 09:25 PM
Macjackass is out

Anyone wanting to join us? Will have to ring the club and see if spots are still there.

Grunt
10th August 2008, 09:20 AM
Jim seeing as there is just the 2 of us, do you want to have a Matchplay game? It could even be a trial for the actual Final as we both could meet there too. You're a shoe in as you only have to beat 3oneday, I will play TS or Mikezone13 if they ever play their match;)

Grunt
10th August 2008, 05:11 PM
Another Round with Jim done and dusted. Campbelltown was a tough slog today with both the wind and some very anal pin placements. Jim will no doubt add a fair comment of it all. Both of us had 36 putts, though Jim did have a chip in that sort of masks his run of 3 putts.

I forgot to tell/ask Jim about a matchplay game, but after I got home I went through the results to see how it would have been. Jim would have got me at the last 2 up. Was a topsy turvy round with Jim getting to 3 up and me never getting any closer than one down.

Had a shocker on the 14th hole, 138m Par 3. I hit a poor shot to see it end up in a greenside bunker. When I got there I had a shot from a 2inch deep divot that had the felt lining from the bunker ripped out ot it. I proceeded to hit hte ball thru the green to the 1st tee and had to putt the ball through the hedge back onto the green, I walked off with a 6:smt013. That sort of summed up my day a few bad holes that really bit me hard.

jimandr
10th August 2008, 08:24 PM
I knew about Grant's matchplay request, and kept quiet because I didn't really want to play a Match. I can put myself under enough pressure just trying to play the game, and indeed I folded under my personal pressure a number of times.

It was a hard day, with a cold and strong breeze in combination with some very difficult pin positions.

Should I be lucky enough to proceed through to the MatchPlay final, I do not want to play that final at Campbelltown. The putting is difficult enough as it is, without matchplay pressure adding to it.

SMS will be happy to know that we played with Australia's most unlikely looking scratch marker today. A guy called James Love, who was a PGA member. He had a lovely Fred Couples-style swing rhythm, and hit his driver a mile, but he just didn't look like a scratch player. I thought he was a 7 to 9 h'cap until I learned his real h'cap. (I hope he isn't a lurker on this site!) He didn't talk much, so I don't know anything else about him.

Thanks to Grant for the game. Enjoyable, as usual.