PDA

View Full Version : Big Warning Regarding Pay Pal Scam

addamsmith
7th August 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi guys
I just wanted to warn you all regarding a Pay Pal scam Mail. Below is a picture I took off my computer. 2 weeks ago my wife received this email saying "please confirm your Detail as your for security reasons" Your account has been suspended.
My wife opened up the email and typed in my details.
My account was opened by the scammers and $580.00 was taken out of the pay pal account. My password was changed so I could not get back in. They did not take any money out of accounts Bank and credit accounts yet, but did have my details. So I have had to close my Bank and Credit Cards that was linked to pay pal. I did not know until I went to pay a item on ebay and I could not get into the pay pal page. Pay pal are investigating it now.
I know you should never give out your details on the computer through a email to anyone but I was not home and my wife was concerned.
So please be warned. Here is one I got today in the email inbox.
Hope this helps someone
Addam

Grunt
7th August 2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah this is known PayPal don't send emails out. Do not respond to any.

3oneday
7th August 2008, 09:35 AM
I get them daily. I just forward them all to spoof@paypal.com. I've never received an email from Paypal that I haven't instigated.

I also don't tell my wife about Paypal ;)

AndyP
7th August 2008, 09:36 AM
I'd be worried about having my wife go through my emails.

Webster
7th August 2008, 10:00 AM
Your wife is an idiot. I hope you punished her severely for her stupidity.

Scottt
7th August 2008, 01:08 PM
Your wife is an idiot. I hope you punished her severely for her stupidity.

x2

henno
7th August 2008, 02:34 PM
That is the oldest phishing scam in the book. I still can't believe people believe such emails.

I saved a guy from work from doing the very same thing.

I actually sat my girlfriend down and after whipping up a quick script, and a little DNS poisoning on our home network, showed her how easy it was for her details to be snagged by anyone with half a clue. Lets just hope it sinks in.

poidda
7th August 2008, 04:36 PM
Quick tip to save you some film in your camera Addam. "Alt/Print Screen" will copy an image of the current application and you can paste it where ever you like. ;)

Fishman Dan
7th August 2008, 08:57 PM
I found post 4, 5, 6 and 8 most helpful (and entertaining).

Alan
12th August 2008, 08:13 PM
I'd be worried about having my wife go through my emails.

Yeah, me wife made that mistake once with ebay. The guy ended up editing a item i was selling (rc car) to a mobile phone and made the page look really flash. I had to wait for hours and hours for the online ebay help to work. After got my password changed and got control of my ebay account I ended up having all these emails from others wanting to know if I was still selling the phone. I usually get a couple a week from ebay but only ever had 1 from paypal which was only a few weeks ago

Coffs_Hacker
12th August 2008, 09:24 PM
Been getting alot of UPS spam mail lately saying they are unable to deliver a package with Tracking N xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx please log in to veryify delivery addrs. Tracking numb changes with every email. My wife rang me at work the other day to check with me about what to do with it before she opened it thankfully :)

henno
12th August 2008, 09:33 PM
Been getting alot of UPS spam mail lately saying they are unable to deliver a package with Tracking N xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx please log in to veryify delivery addrs. Tracking numb changes with every email. My wife rang me at work the other day to check with me about what to do with it before she opened it thankfully :)

Yep. My mail server has been processing thousands of those emails every day lately. Luckily none of them got through to my users.

(for the geeks out there: Greylisting. It's the only way.)

markTHEblake
12th August 2008, 09:43 PM
I like the concept of SPF, doesnt seem all that hard to implement. but like any spam protection it needs to be a combination of several and not an arbitrary wholesale dumping which effects genuine mail

Grunt
12th August 2008, 09:52 PM
I use mailwasher Pro.

henno
12th August 2008, 09:59 PM
I like the concept of SPF, doesnt seem all that hard to implement. but like any spam protection it needs to be a combination of several and not an arbitrary wholesale dumping which effects genuine mail

Well I originally used a combination of blacklisting, procmail, spamassassin and clamav, but greylisting has (more than anything else) seen my CPU usage fall significantly.

Whereas previously the spamd daemon would be running like crazy all day every day, scanning and filtering every single email one-by-one (by the thousands), greylisting by default rejects every mail server initially.

Most compliant mailservers will retry in 1/5/10 minutes, whereas the majority of spam mailservers do not bother (as they send so many emails to non-existant email addresses the overheads are not worth the hassle).

If the compliant mail server re-sends the email, it is then forwarded to the original chain of smapassassin>clamav>procmail etc, and that particular mailserver is added to the list of accepted servers for future emails.

Fishman Dan
12th August 2008, 10:10 PM
I yell at our Systems Engineer when spam makes it through. Seems to work wonders.

markTHEblake
12th August 2008, 10:23 PM
how well does it deal with dictionary bombs? I uncovered one that was happening every night around 11.00pm that was about 40000 emails, most undeliverabe that would loop backwards and forwards about 4 times each.