PDA

View Full Version : Golf in Scotland

Scottt
6th August 2008, 04:33 PM
Could those who have played any of the below courses please let me know their thoughts?

Most of the non Open rota tracks are GBP50-80 and most of the Open courses are GBP130+

Royal Dornoch
Brora
Elie
Gleneagles Kings
Nth Berwick West
Carnoustie
Troon
Turberry Ailsa
St Andrews Old
Carnoustie
Muirfield

What courses have I missed that you'd recommend I try to get onto my list?

pt73
6th August 2008, 05:57 PM
Carnoustie
Troon
Turberry Ailsa
St Andrews Old
Carnoustie
Muirfield

All these courses are great and the people very friendly except Muirfield who were downright rude. Good things is that the tour company screwed up and we played 2 rounds but only paid for one.

If you're near Muirfield then Gullane 1 & 2 are excellent courses and both Open Qualifier courses. Near Troon, Western Gailes is also an excellent course and an Open Qualifier too.

PM me if you want some more info, I was there in 2001 and played all on your list from Carnoustie down plus Gullane 1/2 and Western Gailes.

PT

Moe Norman
6th August 2008, 06:49 PM
Could those who have played any of the below courses please let me know their thoughts?

Most of the non Open rota tracks are GBP50-80 and most of the Open courses are GBP130+

Royal Dornoch - outstanding
Brora - haven't played, but those I trust tell me its excellent
Elie - excellent
Gleneagles Kings - not played
Nth Berwick West - outstanding
Carnoustie - it's a very different feel to other Scottish courses, but well worth it
Troon - depends on how much you're prepared to spend, there are better tracks for less money
Turberry Ailsa - definately worth it
St Andrews Old - must play it multiple times to appreciate
Muirfield - pricey, but definately worth every cent.

What courses have I missed that you'd recommend I try to get onto my list?

Get yourself to Aberdeen & Machrihanish. Others will probably reccomend Cruden Bay - I wish I had made it there, same goes for Prestwick which looks sensational from the pics I have seen.

There are heaps of others, best to play the ones you're really keen on first and then work back from there. Also, plenty of them are close to each other - so worth it to play them in groups. (Eg. Prestwick, Troon, Turnberry)

golfnugget76
6th August 2008, 06:52 PM
St Andrews Old and Carnoustie are a must!

Goose bumps all the way, particularly at the Old Course.

Kingsbarns is also amazing. Not far out of St Andrews.

These 3 courses make up the annual Alfred Dunhill Limks Championships.

markTHEblake
6th August 2008, 08:27 PM
I have it on good authority that Royal County Down is the must play golf course in Scotland.

Moe Norman
6th August 2008, 08:36 PM
but its in Ireland

markTHEblake
6th August 2008, 08:37 PM
:oops: Oh well. the U bloody K then :-)

the recommendation still stands

Moe Norman
6th August 2008, 08:42 PM
It's sensational, just as Royal Portrush is - but they are both in f#cking Ireland!

there are plenty of tracks in England I would also reccomend if you are looking for a UK feel.

markTHEblake
6th August 2008, 08:53 PM
Ireland is a better country anyway, and much smarter people.

Andrew
6th August 2008, 10:49 PM
Scott,

As you probably guessed, I’ve played them all except Gleneagles. They are all worth a hit.

North Berwick (West) is close to my favourite course in the world, although others less interested in architecture my not like it as much as me. It is not far from Muirfield or Gullane. For some cheaper rounds on courses a little less difficult, but still wonderful to play you have Dunbar, a lovely course a little further around from North Berwick. Luffness New, Kilspindie & Craiglaw are all nice courses (Kilspindie probably the best) a little shorter than the others & not far from Gullane.

Elie (The Golf House) I loved due to the history, as it is probably the most authentic Old Tom Morris course in the world. It has no par 5’s & only 2 par 3’s, so you would think it might be boring, but you couldn’t be more wrong. Not far from Elie are Lundin & Leven Links, which are worth a cheap hit, as are the two courses at Crail.

Knigsbarns is near St Andrew’s & worth a game, but it is quite dear. On the way up to Carnoustie I played the Medal course at Monifieth which is a nice course, but you might as well keep going to Carnoustie, which has 3 courses, the Championship being the one you should definitely play.

If you are on your way up to Aberdeen (as Thommo suggested) you must (did you hear me, I said MUST) play the Medal course at Montrose. And if you are stopping in the area, play Panmure while you are at it. By the way, Thommo is correct about Royal Aberdeen. Play Murcar while you are in Aberdeen as well. Cruden Bay is further up the coast & has a stretch of holes from the 4th to the 8th that you will remember for the rest of your life, not to mention the totally blind 14th & 15th which are heaps of fun.

Now, if you get up to Inverness, you must drive up & play the championship course at Royal Dornoch. On the way you will go past a value for money course called Tain. Nairn is also worth a hit. If you are going up to Brora, stop off at Golspie & have a hit. By the way, Brora is the most fun you’ll have with a stiff shaft in your hands. I wouldn’t go any further north than that.

Over on the west coast you have a lot of courses around Troon. I’ll go out on a limb here & suggest that Prestwick & Western Gailes are better courses than Troon, but you are going to want to play as many Open courses as possible, so hand your money over for your round at snobby Troon & be done with it. Further down the coast you have Turnberry. There is not really a lot there except the resort.

Thommo mentioned Machrihanish which is superb, but extremely difficult to get to. If you do make the pilgrimage, there is a nice little short course near by called Dunaverty. When I played Machrihanish, the club captain met me & had a round with me. Then the next morning, he drove me down to Dunaverty, introduced me to the captain down there & we play together. Extremely nice people.

That’s about all I can help you with. You know my interests lie in architecture & history, so that will give you a guide to my preference. The only other advice I will give you is to try & stay at least a week in St Andrew’s. Play TOC as many times as you can & play New, Jubilee & Eden. I obviously haven’t played The Castle course, but it’s probably worth a hit as well.

Now, do you want some advice on course around London?

Scottt
7th August 2008, 08:41 AM
<head exploding emoticon>

Wow.

Now I have even more reading to do.

I'd say I will end up playing about 6 when I venture up that way with my missus to see Scotland, but by the sounds of things, a week on my own hanging around St Andrews and the surrounding courses and playing twice a day might be in order.

Thankyou one and all for the recommendations.

markTHEblake
7th August 2008, 11:00 AM
I understand the tip to getting a gig at the old course is to turn up at sparrows fart and register as a single player. every now and again the starter will call out "any singles?" to make up a group that is short.

So much better chance of playing than if you had a mate or two with you.

Or you could just do an Andrew and walk around the course, its public land so they cant stop you (right Andrew?) at least on the 1/18th you can.

Scottt
7th August 2008, 11:08 AM
And it's only 80 quid.

Some of the other open courses ask 220!

markTHEblake
7th August 2008, 11:11 AM
Well the others are members private clubs, St Andrews is public :-)

BrisVegas
7th August 2008, 11:37 AM
it was 80 pound when I was there in Sept 01, it's prob low-mid 100's now.

Moe Norman
7th August 2008, 06:17 PM
And it's only 80 quid.

Some of the other open courses ask 220!
I'd actually reccomend you walk it a couple of times before you play it, I wish I had done this as I think I would have enjoyed my first game alot more

petethepilot
8th August 2008, 09:27 PM
You won't get on Muirfield unless you have booked it 15 months ahead (and you are a bloke!). They allow visitors to play on a Thursday. 18 holes single (in a group of 4 ) in the morning. Nice lunch and then 18 holes Foursomes in the arvo. Pay at time of booking approx 150 pounds and you must provide the names which are not allowed to change!! The bookings open in April for July onwards in the following year.

I played during the 2000 open at TOC (Tigers). Great experience, hard course, impossible rough (Knee high) but overall only number 3 in my favourite open courses.

Andrew gave you a great summary of the rest!

Regards,

The Pilot

p.s. I can never return to Muirfield as I shot 71 in the morning playing out of my arse. There is no way I can ever match it so I won't ruin it by returning!!:lol: