PDA

View Full Version : Sydney - Fox Hills - Sunday 21st

Fishman Dan
17th November 2004, 09:43 AM
12:30pm

2 spots available. Catching up with a mate over a round of golf. I think it's a single and best ball stableford event.

Please let me know asap as i've only booked 2 spots, but the other 2 are vacant at the moment.

Jono
17th November 2004, 10:25 AM
Can you pencil me in, Fishy? I'd love to have another go at your home course ... Hmm ... I should get mentally prepared for that 12 meter wide fairway ... :lol: Which hole was that again?

I'll know by tomorrow whether I can definitely play or not.

Fishman Dan
17th November 2004, 10:49 AM
Can you pencil me in, Fishy? I'd love to have another go at your home course ... Hmm ... I should get mentally prepared for that 12 meter wide fairway ... :lol: Which hole was that again?

I'll know by tomorrow whether I can definitely play or not.

No worries Jono, i'll do that.

FYI - That 12m wide section of fairway is about 150m from the tee. If that worries you, all i can say is put your handbag away and take out the largest club in the bag ;) :lol:

burger
17th November 2004, 11:04 AM
Isn't that what he did last time?????

Fishman Dan
17th November 2004, 11:09 AM
Isn't that what he did last time?????

I think so, or is this the hole where he blocked it 2 fairways right? I've got numerous photo's of Jono that day, traipsing around in the mud beyond the tree-line :lol:

Jono
17th November 2004, 11:17 PM
I'm in. Definite starter, rain/hail/or shine. :wink:

Watch in awe, Fishy, as "the Doctor" dissects your home course with surgical precision ... minus the surgical gloves this time ... :lol:

burger
18th November 2004, 07:33 AM
I've got a leave pass!!!!!!!
Fourth spot taken!

FoxHills chapter of Ozgolf second round . . . .

burger
18th November 2004, 07:35 AM
I mean really how could the Fox Hills 'raining' champ pass this up. :D :shock: 8) :twisted:

3oneday
18th November 2004, 07:46 AM
Stuey, sleep patterns returning to some form of normality yet ??

Pete

Fishman Dan
18th November 2004, 08:46 AM
With my swing rebuilt (:?) and new found confidence in my average ability, it should be a good day.

Darren (4th player) is off low-teens or less, playing at Bardwell Valley - so a course with par 5's might test him out :lol:

burger
18th November 2004, 11:33 AM
With my swing rebuilt (:?) and new found confidence in my average ability, it should be a good day.
of course it'll be a good day, were ot playing golf and not at work!

Pete
ummmm, No. :cry: I hardly woke at all with Lachie (No1 son) but am hearing every peep with Mitchell (other No1 son).

Not happy Jan! :wink:

I REALLY could do with a good 8-9 hours straight sleep, i'd be happy with 6 even . . .

stu

Fishman Dan
18th November 2004, 11:36 AM
Ok, time for the Fox Hills Preview..

Player 1 - Fishman Dan
Nickname: Fish
Handicap: 17
Dislikes: His 6-iron
Strength: Par 5's, 60* FW with bent shaft.
Weakness: Inconsistent performance leads to 'that walk', cricket on the radio during the round.
Comments: Local to the course. Recent form improvement but still far from playing his best. If he's in it down the stretch there could be an upset.

Player 2 - Darren
Nickname: Meat
Handicap: 12
Dislikes: Wifely distractions during golf
Strength: Solid tee-to-green
Weakness: Par 5's
Comment: Ignore last performance (Hunter Valley, 2002). Playing solid golf on a tight layout recently, good value due to unknown quantity.

Player 3 - Jono
Nickname: The Surgeon
Handicap: 11 (?)
Dislikes: Fairways without run
Strength: All-weather gloves, driving consistency
Weakness: Wet fairways
Comments: Well travelled. Real chance but concern of tight fairways could hamper his performance. Worth considering but handicap could be his weakness.

Player 4 - Burger
Nickname: Stuey-burger, Smiling Assassin
Handicap: 22 [?]
Dislikes: Not a lot. Takes plenty to get on his bad-side (or so he'll have you thinking ;))
Strength: Handicap, V-Steel 3-wood.
Weakness: Driver - which is why we see the V-steel all day
Comments: A real mudder. Despite getting out of the gates slowly last outing at Fox Hills, came home solidly in the wet conditions. First-up after a spell, good chance.

3oneday
18th November 2004, 11:52 AM
My money is on "Meat". Fishy, those aren't par 5's :P :P :P , the guy has no troubles looming at all.

:lol: 8) :lol:

AndyP
18th November 2004, 12:14 PM
Fishy, are you going to be doing a preview of all rounds in the 1st Tee area now, or just the ones you are involved in? :wink:

Golfgirl
19th November 2004, 07:40 AM
of course it'll be a good day, were ot playing golf and not at work!

Pete
ummmm, No. :cry: I hardly woke at all with Lachie (No1 son) but am hearing every peep with Mitchell (other No1 son).

Not happy Jan! :wink:

I REALLY could do with a good 8-9 hours straight sleep, i'd be happy with 6 even . . .

stu

Blech - you got my sympathies.... tell him that Mitchells are supposed to be good sleepers....

Fishman Dan
19th November 2004, 08:25 AM
Ok ok, that's enough. This thread is about our golf round - you'll be playing with 2 x newlyweds, so we won't want to hear any of this 'baby' talk ;)

Fishman Dan
22nd November 2004, 08:16 AM
Scores are in - i'll keep it brief because i'm busy, but moreso to minimise the pain.

Single and 2 ball stableford

Burger: 36
Jono: 35
Darren: 31
Dan: 23

Burger and Jono - 44 pts
Dan and Darren - 39 pts

Burger was solid again, and except for a couple of wipes and 3-putts would have amassed a fantastic score. He's not 2 from2 starts at Fox Hills - i will have to update any previews for coming round - Weakness: The Handicapper

Jono's driving display was a joy to watch, dead-set smashing everything far down the middle of the fairway. He kept complaining about the runless fairways.. i don't think he watched his own ball hit the ground and leap forward.

Darren's game was solid but let himself down, but for a guy playing his first round at a new course did really well.

I hit 1 fairway all day and left myself dead with no 2nd shot more often than not. I don't think there's a tree in the park without a bruise caused by me. Of course, the ball would drop dead after hitting a tree, or come back at me. Putting was my saviour - if i made it to the green. Oddly enough, the holes i played well on Darren choked, that 39 2-ball points was flattering.

Great day again guys, looking forward to Bayview (after some off-the-tee practice :oops:).

Jono
22nd November 2004, 12:43 PM
He kept complaining about the runless fairways.. i don't think he watched his own ball hit the ground and leap forward.

That's because I'm spoilt after having played on the closely mown couch (sp?) fairways up in QLD. You get at least 30 meters extra in run over there. Hmmm ... we should have a formula for comparing interstate driver distances. NSW distance + 30m = QLD distance. That way, when a Queenslander boasts mighty 280 meter drives, we know that's equivalent to a feeble 250 meter bunt down the fairway ... :wink:

Thanks for inviting us, Fishie. Fox Hills is much more enjoyable without the rain. Highlights of the day for me was chipping in for birdie on the 10th (our 1st), and finishing with a birdie on the 9th (our 18th). Everything in between was pretty ordinary ... some good shots mixed in with forgettable ones. Oh, the tee shot on the 7th was a highlight for me too. I negotiated the 13 meter wide bottleneck about 150 meters down the fairway by teeing it up real high and going over the trees. Not a tough tee shot after all ... :lol:

Finished with 80, nett 70 (par 69). Fishie was dangerously approaching the 100 mark, but think he just avoided it. Stu ... let's just say that I'm not going to play you for money ... :lol: Great effort considering that you haven't played in 2 months. I thought you were going to get over 40 points for a while, but unfortunately had a couple of wipes on the way in. Oh, you can be my fourball partner any time ... :wink:

So, do we get any prizemoney for this event?

Burger $6000
Jono $3000
Darren $2000
Fishie $1000

Can I have my prize in the form of new set of Mizunos and an R7 TP? :lol:

Fishman Dan
22nd November 2004, 12:50 PM
I'm donating my 'prizemoney' to the Starlight Foundation.... :roll:

burger
23rd November 2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks Fishy for putting up the day, I had a ball!

As you said great company and some good golf :shock: I have to say I was VERY surprised how I went.
Perhaps going in with very low expectations and a basic plan of just enjoying being out is what did the trick.
I DO know not keeping score helped, then when you blokes started telling me how good I was going (and I listened) I promptly put one off a tree and over the fence!
I have also noticed that when I have get some practise chips pre round in I seem to go better . . . :?

Suffered at the end with fitness, my left knee started playing up a bit for the last few.

Need I say again I had a ball :D :D :D

stu

markTHEblake
25th November 2004, 10:09 PM

No, becuase there were no queenslanders present to verify any scores.
See rule 13 (d)

BrisVegas
26th November 2004, 07:46 AM
Hmmm ... we should have a formula for comparing interstate driver distances. NSW distance + 30m = QLD distance. That way, when a Queenslander boasts mighty 280 meter drives, we know that's equivalent to a feeble 250 meter bunt down the fairway ... :wink:

Ok Jono, so the couple of 300+ metre drives unit and I hit on "soggy" fairways in Sydney on Tuesday were really 330+ metres. Cool. 8) :wink:

Turn it up. :roll:

markTHEblake
26th November 2004, 10:00 AM
probably hit off the yellow tees too.

3oneday
26th November 2004, 10:04 AM
biting my tongue, ouch :shock: :? :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
26th November 2004, 10:08 AM

No, becuase there were no queenslanders present to verify any scores.
See rule 13 (d)

Actually Darren is a QLD'er.

Touche.

BrisVegas
26th November 2004, 10:09 AM
so the couple of 300+ metre drives unit and I hit on "soggy" fairways....Turn it up. :roll:gets pretty soggy on a coastal course :P :P that's been in a drought for 3 years as well, mmmmm 8)

:lol: :lol:

Aside from the slant at queenslanders... :roll:

I don't understand what you are saying?? Are you saying the fairways at St Micks are soggy or not soggy in relative terms?

I felt the fairways had plenty of roll, hence my sarcastic post about them being "soggy" yet us being able to get some long drives happening... There's no other way we could have gotten the ball out that far, without considerable roll.

Fishman Dan
26th November 2004, 10:17 AM
Just to qualify a little of what Jono may be implying, but we discussed that the fairways in SE Qld got more roll than they did in Fox Hills. At Fox the fairways were in good nick, but they were fairly soft.

However even then, Jono's 7* beast seemed to get 20-30 metres off the ground - the difference between a gentle draw vs a big fat gay fade.. :roll:

If we want to have a long drive event, we should do it at Ocean Shores, plenty of scope there.

AndyP
26th November 2004, 10:24 AM
If we want to have a long drive event, we should do it at Ocean Shores, plenty of scope there.
Didn't Vegas already win the long drive at Tweed with a couple of NSWelshmen present? :smt045 :mrgreen:

What club was that with again, Vegas? ;)

Fishman Dan
26th November 2004, 10:27 AM
Didn't Vegas already win the long drive at Tweed with a couple of NSWelshmen present? :smt045 :mrgreen:

2 things - i wasn't there to make you look silly, being outdriven by the biggest gay fade you've seen, and the Whale wasn't there - smashing them over long off with a big front-foot down the track (a la 36th a St Michaels the other day).

BrisVegas
26th November 2004, 10:34 AM

2 things - i wasn't there to make you look silly, being outdriven by the biggest gay fade you've seen, and the Whale wasn't there - smashing them over long off with a big front-foot down the track (a la 36th a St Michaels the other day).

True, whale-man did get it past me on the 36th with a well-hit gay fade. However, he was 20+ over par at the time and was swinging pretty freely. There's plenty of folks on ozgolf that hit the ball longer than me (from time to time), including Jono, Nudgee, Iain etc etc.. I'm not claiming to be the long drive king here, I was just talking about allegedly "soggy" fairways...

3oneday
26th November 2004, 10:44 AM
I don't understand what you are saying?? Are you saying the fairways at St Micks are soggy or not soggy in relative terms?
There's no other way we could have gotten the ball out that far, without considerable roll. firstly, when I played NorthLakes in July this year, I felt the fairways were as firm as they were on any course in Sydney. Comparing any course (Fishy) to the fairways at Fox Hills is fraught with danger, they have no idea how to fix the drainage on that course and if it's on a low lying part of the course, you got buckleys.

Dion, I wouldn't reckon there would be huge amounts of run at St Micks or NSW, mainly because of the sand base. It's not hard pan at all so however far you hit it is genuine distance, sorry if I was unclear, I have that habit.

Having said that, and I have noted some previous posts, and please don't take this as a shot, you should talk to Keza and see when the next LD event is being held in Brissie (a mens event, of course :wink: ), and go test yourself (and some others you mention), sounds like on the right day you (and them) may send a few out there, and it would be fun for us to hear the results or your experience.

Pete

BrisVegas
26th November 2004, 10:58 AM
you should talk to Keza and see when the next LD event is being held in Brissie (a mens event, of course :wink: ), and go test yourself (and some others you mention), sounds like on the right day you (and them) may send a few out there, and it would be fun for us to hear the results or your experience.

Pete
Pete,
I think I'd be massively outdistanced by the serious long-drivers. Consistency is (usually :oops: ) my strength, not outright distance. I'd be too embarrassed to even enter one of those events.

Funnily enough, I was having this very discussion with Iain on Tuesday. I suggested that with some coaching and optimisation on a launch monitor, he could compete with the long drivers. Both Iain and Nudgee are tall, athletic and strong enough to really give the ball a thrashing. I've seen Nudgee and Iain hit the odd drive that was just plain scary. :twisted:

Dion

Fishman Dan
26th November 2004, 11:00 AM
...you should talk to Keza and see when the next LD event is being held in Brissie (a mens event, of course :wink: ), and go test yourself (and some others you mention), sounds like on the right day you (and them) may send a few out there, and it would be fun for us to hear the results or your experience.

Dion - you want the MaxFli XS Distance i have in my bag? ;)

BrisVegas
26th November 2004, 11:04 AM
...you should talk to Keza and see when the next LD event is being held in Brissie (a mens event, of course :wink: ), and go test yourself (and some others you mention), sounds like on the right day you (and them) may send a few out there, and it would be fun for us to hear the results or your experience.

Dion - you want the MaxFli XS Distance i have in my bag? ;)

umm, no... But I'll take a few of those U-Tri Tours you kept backing off the greens. Dang! You got some serious backspin happening on Tuesday.

Every arvo, I go walking around Brooky looking for golf balls... I either find hammered ProV1's or Maxfli rocks... bugger. I need to sneak onto the first hole and look for the ProV1's fresh outta the sleeve!! :wink:

3oneday
26th November 2004, 11:05 AM
Pinnacles Dan, Pinnacles :lol: :lol:

markTHEblake
26th November 2004, 05:41 PM
Where are all these rolling fairways in Qld - I havent seeen any?