PDA

View Full Version : NSW Open - Liverpool

Fishman Dan
17th November 2004, 07:54 AM
Is anyone going? I'm taking my wife for a walk around a park - a very large park with flags, groomed grass and good golfers.

I think the larger crowds will be the first 2 days following Fatty Vautin. Then there's that 14 year old that Trung showed me at Olympic Park driving range who qualified :shock:

Let me know, perhaps we can hook up around the 15th perhaps. We can even go on an Easter Egg hunt, look for the dozens of balls i deposited around the course during the day we had there about May/June :oops:

Golfgirl
17th November 2004, 10:14 AM
When is it Dan?

Are you going to go and have a look at the Aust Open??

We have friends flying in to compete in it - so I am thinking about going for a wander around. But it is always hard with Mitchell (who would rather play than watch and doesn't know any better at 3 years of age), so I am not 100% sure.

Cheers!

Fishman Dan
17th November 2004, 10:23 AM
NSW Open is this weekend. Saturday is my birthday (:oops:) so rather than bugger off for the day and play golf I suggested to my wife that we spend the day together - watching real golfers ;)

Australian Open is the following weekend i think? I am keen to head out to that too, undecided which day, probably Sunday as i'll probably play on Saturday. Mind you I can always play Sunday the following weekend as well if the general consensus shows that more people are going Saturday.

Golfgirl
17th November 2004, 10:26 AM
Well I might be able to join you on Saturday then....

Car parking??

Better get that bloody map out again.... would you believe that I don't know where Liverpool is.... :oops:

Oh - and if I don't catch up with you - have a great Birthday!! :D

Fishman Dan
17th November 2004, 10:31 AM
Well I might be able to join you on Saturday then....

Car parking??

Better get that bloody map out again.... would you believe that I don't know where Liverpool is.... :oops:

Oh - and if I don't catch up with you - have a great Birthday!! :D

Hehe, thanks Jodie.

Do you need help getting there? I guess with Mitchell you need a car-seat, so that could make it awkward.

Golfgirl
17th November 2004, 10:52 AM
I'll be fine Dan.... I've had a look on the map - I'll get where I am going - I will let you know if I am going for sure so that I can arrange to meet up with you and the lovely wife. :D

Fishman Dan
17th November 2004, 10:55 AM
I'll be fine Dan.... I've had a look on the map - I'll get where I am going - I will let you know if I am going for sure so that I can arrange to meet up with you and the lovely wife. :D

No worries Jodie, as they say - you can't learn if you don't make mistakes. You can only find out how not to go somewhere by going the wrong way in the first place ;)

amanda
17th November 2004, 10:58 AM
Jodie - ignore the PM I just sent you - we can always meet up at the NSW Open on Sat if you like.

You and Mitchell can always drive to our place and we can car pool (does Mitchell need a car seat - we don't have one of those).

amanda
17th November 2004, 11:35 AM
Jodie, Mitchell and I are going to be there Saturday.

Fishy - what time will you be around?

Fishman Dan
17th November 2004, 11:41 AM

Amanda - i'd say not before about 12-12:30, but stick around then until the end. Hope it's a nice day, plenty of tree cover should be a good afternoon!

Trung
18th November 2004, 12:21 PM
Just came back from the course. I had lunch there, only 15mins from office so very handy 8)
Crikey it was hot out there. :shock:

A young Korean amateur is right up there with (-5). Lee Woon Joon plays out at Concord G.C and usually at SOP driving range. Good to see the him right up there.

Trung
18th November 2004, 12:23 PM

I have the next 2 weeks off from cricket as we have a bye game. woohoo, not sure of my plan yet. But will give you a buzz if I'm around :D

Fishman Dan
18th November 2004, 01:22 PM
Just came back from the course. I had lunch there, only 15mins from office so very handy 8)

A young Korean amateur is right up there with (-5). Lee Woon Joon plays out at Concord G.C and usually at SOP driving range. Good to see the him right up there.

Is this the bloke you pointed out the other day?

Trung
18th November 2004, 01:24 PM
Fishy... No, that kid had a shocker. Was +6 after 6. He came in with a 79 :oops:

Fishman Dan
18th November 2004, 01:27 PM
Fishy... No, that kid had a shocker. Was +6 after 6. He came in with a 79 :oops:

Crikey, imagine shooting 79 around Liverpool in 40 degree heat :roll: :lol:

36 in the city so it can't be far off 40 out there.

amanda
18th November 2004, 01:59 PM
I'm surprised that Fatty Vautin isn't coming last! +7 :shock:

After watching his un-co behaviour on Dare Devil Dudes I thought he would be a bit worse

Fishman Dan
18th November 2004, 02:38 PM

After watching his un-co behaviour on Dare Devil Dudes I thought he would be a bit worse

He's always been a tidy golfer, i know a bloke who has had the misfortune to play with him. The stakes are always high, and the sledging is more than apparent.

There's another thread 'somewhere on the internet' with similar points - having Fatty there is a master stroke, because it will bring people through the gates.

amanda
18th November 2004, 02:58 PM
So is he faking incompetence at physical tasks on the Footy Show to make us laugh?

TS
18th November 2004, 03:03 PM

Fatty plays off 4 at Monash, that is a pretty good handicap at a difficult course.

Jarro
18th November 2004, 05:36 PM
So is he faking incompetence at physical tasks on the Footy Show to make us laugh?

i'd say so :roll:

Speirsy11
19th November 2004, 10:58 AM

Lee Woon Joon is a superstar in the making......Absolutely GREAT young player.....Hits it 10 miles, great short game and soft touch....He won the ACT Amateur with a VERY impressive display at Royal Canberra, and rumour has it he hit 7 iron into #11 at the Lakes Medal this year......

I'm thinking about heading down there on the weekend, should be some great golf.....plus I LOVE that course.....It'll be nice seeing how some guys who can actually play manage that place.....

Speirsy11

Fishman Dan
19th November 2004, 11:04 AM
Spiersy.. voted. Btw, wtf was that for?! ;)

Of course, you've voted for the Fishman Dan 4 Prez in Mac's thread in 19th hole? ;)

Fishman Dan
19th November 2004, 11:16 AM
HOOLEY DOOLEY!

I just saw the prize you're in store for Spiersy.. all i can say is - i've voted for you, what are you doing with your current set? 8)

Your 20 up at the moment, how long does the poll run for?

AndyP
19th November 2004, 11:20 AM
Spiersy.. voted. Btw, wtf was that for?! ;)

I voted for Dtown.
Just kidding, mate. :wink:

Nice lead too.
Fishy, it runs for a week. Not sure when it started though.

Jarro
19th November 2004, 03:49 PM
my votes in.

good luck Rob 8)

Speirsy11
19th November 2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys......Poll runs for a week, choosing the top poster at BSG......Pretty sweet set of irons up for the winner.....

I'll be shafting them with either PX or Tour Concepts and putting them head to head against my Lehmans....Winner stays, loser ends up in the home of a Ozgolfer :D

Speirsy

markTHEblake
19th November 2004, 07:10 PM
My mate Craig Warren shot a course record today - any of you lot see it?
He has had 76-63. Sacking his caddie has eventually paid off.

If you see him yell out "GO RAB's".

Speirsy11
19th November 2004, 07:47 PM
My mate Craig Warren shot a course record today - any of you lot see it?
He has had 76-63. Sacking his caddie has eventually paid off.

If you see him yell out "GO RAB's".

63 at that course is mighty impressive.....Nice round.....

Speirsy11

goughy
19th November 2004, 08:15 PM
I'd vote for ya for press. speirsey, but don't know about top poster.

What the heck, it's all done.

Speirsy11
19th November 2004, 08:23 PM
I'd vote for ya for press. speirsey, but don't know about top poster.

What the heck, it's all done.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Golfgirl
19th November 2004, 09:10 PM
Aaah Crap!

One of our mates has called us to say that he missed the cut for this weekend.... and I was looking forward to seeing him play. :(

Oh well... plenty more golfers to see out there.... :roll:

Fishman Dan
20th November 2004, 05:35 PM
Just got back from day 3 at the NSW Open. Really good to go out there, free admission and $5 for parking. Course looks fantastic.

Took my wife (Anita) with me, and she was surprised how intimate it was - probably more so than normal comps for the more seasoned - you literally brushed shoulders with the players as you walked down the fairways. Needless to say, just about the entire spectator flotilla was hanging around Peter Lonard.

Turned up quite late and saw the final 4 groups come down 9, before grabbing a bite to eat and meeting up with Golfgirl (after numerous SMS) - who was pretty much on her way out. Young Mitchell was full'o'beans and caused a couple of sideways glances from some of the officials.

After a chat to Jodie we caught up to the final groups at the 14th green (par 3). Saw a fantastic up'n'down at the 14th from a young bloke - i think it was Heath Reed. He'd overshot the green and right, about 15-20 metres past the green on a bare-dirt lie. No green to work with and a bunker to go over, he played a great lob onto the edge of the green and stopped the ball about 2' from the hole, and proceeded to make par. Sorry Amanda/Brad, we got there after you had to leave.

Some fantastic stroke-play, including Lonard's 5-wood on the 17th to reach it in 2. One of the faces in the crowd was none other than Jimmy Barnes - i tell you he's been tucking into the pie cart.

Took plenty of photo's, even some for you HO's. I'll post them as soon as i get them off the camera.

Deano
20th November 2004, 06:28 PM
"Jimmy Barnes - i tell you he's been tucking into the pie cart"

He's off the grog(for good :shock: )off the cigs......plus all
other "party treats".Got the clean livin' thing half there.
Just gotta work on the diet.

Deano

Golfgirl
21st November 2004, 11:36 AM
I had a great day out at the NSW Open yesterday.... :D

Brad and Amanda were kind enough to come way out of their way to "collect" me from Sutherland and show me the way out to Liverpool Golf Club (which is NOT in Liverpool) :D . I had to keep the foot to the floor to keep up with Brad's driving - those Subaru's really have great pick up! :shock:

Amanda, Brad, Mitchell and I wandered down the first three holes watching various groups, then watched the last couple of groups play into the 3rd green before they had to head off. At that point I went off to follow Graham Sheppard (friend who did traineeship with Matt) for a few holes and swapped a few SMS's with Dan.

I finally caught up with Dan and Anita just as I was leaving - and as Dan said, Mitchell was starting to get a bit hyper after sitting quietly in his stroller for over 3 hours (not bad for a 3 yo). Unfortunately, he decided that he had had enough as we were watching Peter Lonard's group putting out on hole 10.... (sorry Mr Lonard :oops: ) So I decided to head for home.

Surprisingly - I didn't get lost on the way home.... I think my sense of direction is improving. :wink:

I'm staying home today to watch the cricket and catch up on the laundry... because with the Eagles concert tonight and Aust Open on this week, and friends in town to play/caddie, we have got a full week ahead.

As Dan said though - small galleries and no ropes made this one of the most intimate golf tournaments that I have been to - well worth a look.

(Thanks again Amanda 8) )

markTHEblake
21st November 2004, 12:04 PM
I had to keep the foot to the floor to keep up with Brad's driving -

Brads a very passive and patient man. You are very lucky Mini wasnt driving! Her idol is the pink lady in 2 Fast 2 Furious.

amanda
22nd November 2004, 09:49 AM
Jodie - Brad was checking to see whether you were a leadfoot or not :wink: But he was driving pretty calm that day. I'm glad you didn't get lost coming home - we were a bit worried.

Dan - yeah - sorry we couldn't stay - Brad had to get home for a DRP test he had to monitor.

Somehow I managed to get a huge cold too (didn't bode well for golf the next day - my nose was running like a leaky tap!) but it was great to watch. What was better was watching pros 3-putt and duff a chip :D

Fishman Dan
22nd November 2004, 02:47 PM
From Lonard about some bunker-play on the final day;

“I hit a poor bunker shot on 17 but I had only been in two bunkers before that all week.Those two had heaps of sand under the ball. This one hardly had any."

A common thought from our day out at Liverpool mid-winter. Also saw Schmidt do the same on 17 on Saturday - play a poor bunker shot and whack the club into the clay base about 3 mm's below the sand surface in frustration, motioning to his caddy about how little sand there was.