PDA

View Full Version : Cricket in the '80s

Bruce
16th November 2004, 04:00 PM
Rather than continue the threadjack might bear a conversation of its' own.

I thought it a little odd that a show about cricket in the 80s would spend most of the first half talking about thing that happened in the 70s. WSC really was as big a revelation as it seems. (not that I was old enough to really know what was going on). Prior to WSC the ACB paid players $100 per day for a test match. That's a bit over $5k when the gate takings were well over $100k. Any wonder then that the players revolted.

However good the current Aussie team is, they haven't caught the Windies yet as far as sheer length of dominance. Those guys beat up on everyone, home and away, for 15 years. They were awesome.

My first day of test cricket was at the MCG on boxing day 1981. The day of Kim Hughes' century and Lillee knocking over the Master Blaster on the last ball of the day. It wasn't as easy to keep up in the days before replays at the ground and with simple scoreboards and as a 9yr old I wasn't too sure about Hughes' ton. All I knew was that batsmen kept getting out and we weren't making many runs. But I clearly remember Lillee's spell at the end of the day. It was absolute pandemonium. Standing on the platform of Richmond station 30 mins after stumps had been drawn we could still hear the chants of "Lillee Lillee" coming from the 'G. I've been completely hooked on Test Cricket ever since.

It was galling to watch Headingly again.

Next week will see more scars exposed I think as the mid to late 80s was not the best for Aussie cricket. Not till 89 did we start the climb out of the slump that started when G Chappell, Marsh and Lillee left together.

markTHEblake
16th November 2004, 09:18 PM
Next week will see more scars exposed

Does that mean its on again next week?

I missed the show last night, would have loved to have seen it. The late 70's early 80's were all my favourite cricketers (not the ponces we have now). Probably becuase i was schoolkid back than and much more impressionable....

amanda
16th November 2004, 10:07 PM
Blakey - the 2nd part is on Monday @ 9.30pm

markTHEblake
16th November 2004, 11:58 PM
Mini, you dont seem to be the type to be a Cricket fan, let alone from the 80's?

amanda
17th November 2004, 08:53 AM
Mini, you dont seem to be the type to be a Cricket fan, let alone from the 80's?
Was flicking channels on Mon evening as nothing else interesting was on and Brad thought it looked good. I'm happy to watch 1-day cricket - but not test matches (too slow - I'm impatient).

markTHEblake
17th November 2004, 11:59 AM
(too slow - I'm impatient).

that doesnt surprise me - you always seemed to leave Brad 100 yards behind on the fairway...... 8)

Now I have just got this great mental picture of Mini Wie watching a test match at Lords and screaming from the bottom of her lungs "Ave a go ya MUG!"

davidp
17th November 2004, 10:18 PM
My first day of test cricket was at the MCG on boxing day 1981. The day of Kim Hughes' century and Lillee knocking over the Master Blaster on the last ball of the day. It wasn't as easy to keep up in the days before replays at the ground and with simple scoreboards and as a 9yr old I wasn't too sure about Hughes' ton. All I knew was that batsmen kept getting out and we weren't making many runs. But I clearly remember Lillee's spell at the end of the day. It was absolute pandemonium. Standing on the platform of Richmond station 30 mins after stumps had been drawn we could still hear the chants of "Lillee Lillee" coming from the 'G. I've been completely hooked on Test Cricket ever since.

Wasn't that the test match when Larry Gomes dug in and ended up scoring a big hundred (or was it a double ton?) Sorry, missed the show. I thought one of the biggest indicators that Aussie cricket was in trouble was when they brought Graeme Wood back into the Test team. The guy had major technique problems and was flighty and they still put him in the team...

markTHEblake
18th November 2004, 01:10 AM
If I remember right, Wood was recalled becuase he was scoring heaps of runs in domestic cricket.

Bruce
18th November 2004, 08:09 PM
Wasn't that the test match when Larry Gomes dug in and ended up scoring a big hundred (or was it a double ton?) Sorry, missed the show.

You must be thinking of another match. Larry Gomes' innings was memorable only in its' end. His was the wicket that took Dennis Lillee past Lance Gibbs as the (then) highest test wicket taker.

Results here (http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1981-82/WI_IN_AUS/WI_AUS_T1_26-30DEC1981.html)

markTHEblake
4th September 2007, 10:35 PM
Close to on topic :-)

Read this story about some 1980 West Indies 'heroes' that are now homeless beggars. http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/cricinfomagazine/content/current/story/286356.html

I was fortunate enought to see one of the stars of that team, David Murray the batsmen/keeper play Super League indoor cricket in Darwin.

He was fielding as close as anyone dared to on the leg side and it was like watching a frog catch flies. No matter how hard the ball was hit, if he could reach it, he got it. Honestly you could watch cricket for 100 years and you would never see anything like that again.

Batting was pretty special too, against the fastest bowling I have seen indoors, he just hit lots of sixes and fours. but he kept getting run out, didnt really have a sense for the indoor gam, like most outdoor cricketers :-)

Unfortunately when I got a look at his face from up close, could see that something was missing - reality. My freind told me that's how he always played, totally bombed off his face. He didnt talk to anyone, didnt stay for a drink afterwards, just got his name in the papers for all sorts of wrong reasons.

From the stories I have read, it was only drugs that kept him out of the test team in the first place, he was considered better than Deryck Murray.

Really sad to see talented people just waste their lives like that. One day the guy will pass on and nobody will care.