PDA

View Full Version : Asterisk Appliance to replace a PABX?

markTHEblake
30th July 2008, 06:51 PM
Any of you geeks using an Asterisk appliance, either implementing it or just an end user.

thoughts, considerations, experiences?

Am looking at the Digium appliance, seems to be the ducks nuts.

Its new ground recommending such a thing over a legacy PABX, but the prices for a phone system is outrageous, not to mention the support costs, where an IP system seems so much more cost efficient.

(I am not talking about replacing PSTN with VOIP though, just referring to the replacement of the 15yo PABX)

henno
30th July 2008, 07:09 PM
Asterix simply cannot be beat. Do it, and never look at paying for a proprietry PBX.

I have no experience with Digium, but I hear nothing but good things about them for all-in-one commercial applications.

Toss that old PABX in the bin and jump right in, the water's fine.

markTHEblake
30th July 2008, 08:03 PM
what were you using - or did you just install it on your own server?

henno
30th July 2008, 08:09 PM
I installed it on my own server. Although for a commercial/enterprise application, I would most definitely be looking at an embedded solution.

PeteyD
30th July 2008, 08:26 PM
I worked at a place where we used Alcatel VOIP. Bit more than what you are talking about though. Was not a bad solution, but had some issues.

markTHEblake
30th July 2008, 08:33 PM
Well VOIP is a different kettle of fish anyway. Any new legacy PABX as well as Asterisk do both PSTN or VOIP or both.

The real difference with Asterisk is that it runs VOIP over your LAN regardless of what the external phone carrier is. not sure if thats good or bad, when the copper wire is already there.

PeteyD
30th July 2008, 08:34 PM
Yea that is what this thing did. VOIP over the LAN to phone lines out.