PDA

View Full Version : Plan My Holiday

sms316
30th July 2008, 01:58 PM
We get into Brisbane at 9.30am on Saturday November 1st. We will spend 2 nights in Brissy, followed by the next 2 nights in the Sunshine Coast.

I've only ever been to Brisbane for work (and one job interview) so I haven't really got much idea about where to head.

I've never been to the Sunshine Coast, but I'm keen to go to Noosa, unless somebody can give me better advise.

Then will have Wed arvo onwards in the Gold Coast, doing the usual (Sea World etc) before the massive piss up, erm, ozgolf champs.

Any ideas folks?

Grunt
30th July 2008, 02:09 PM
I reckon the area around Mooloolabah is better than Noosa. Spend 4 nights on the Sunshine coast and none in Brisbane.

Sydney Hacker
30th July 2008, 02:19 PM
Second that, just head north from the airport and give Brisbane a miss !

sms316
30th July 2008, 02:20 PM
Really want to spend a couple of days in Brisbane with the prospect of moving there in the next 12 months.

TS
30th July 2008, 02:21 PM
I find Noosa overrated. Parking is difficult, full of restaurants with fancy decor and ordinary food.

I agree with Grant that area around Mooloolabah is more interesting.

damoocow
30th July 2008, 02:44 PM
Give Noosa the flick and spend some time at Noosaville instead - a beautiful spot on the river, safe for the kids to swim - some great food spots too

Grunt
30th July 2008, 02:49 PM
Really want to spend a couple of days in Brisbane with the prospect of moving there in the next 12 months.
And you will look outside Brisbane when you need to move up there.

goughy
30th July 2008, 03:12 PM
We used to spend 3 holidays a year up at Noosa. Back in the days when the only car parking at hastings st was on hastings st and you always got a park. It was a great little spot back then. Now it's overpriced shopping, fight for a park and overpriced restaurants. I'd go the mooloolaba options too. Please don't go to the Ginger Factory! Maybe head up the Glass House mountains way.

What sort of things do you want to do while there?

In Brissie (and I'm not from there) I'd guess the mall, that way you can hang out with all the kids ditching school!! ;) Could wander around the South Bank region, maybe take up bike ride up Coronation Drive?? Is it New Farm Park that's nice and along the Brissie river?? Think I used to go there a lot as a kid. There used to be a really nice fish and chips shop down in Shorncliffe near the yacht club and where the fishing boats dock?? Does anyone know if it's still there (or even what I'm talking about).

I think there were some nice spots near the water in Wynnum. If you're looking at moving up here, would you be looking for what the 'burbs are like where you could afford to live? Maybe suggest some housing price brackets so some of the guys could suggest relevant areas?

jaybam
30th July 2008, 03:16 PM
Just take them to bribie island instead mate. Two good golf courses and plenty of places for the missus to take kid/kids swimming. Very laid back also. And not a long drive to Brisbane if the desire is there to tour this brisbane place. Also a short drive to the sunshine coast.

sms316
30th July 2008, 03:17 PM
What sort of things do you want to do while there?

The sort of things that 2 parents can't get up to with a child in tow. ;)

Brisbane will be more of a learning experience around town. SC will be for nothing but relaxation. GC will be for, well, GC types of things.

damoocow
30th July 2008, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE=goughy;243310] There used to be a really nice fish and chips shop down in Shorncliffe near the yacht club and where the fishing boats dock?? Does anyone know if it's still there (or even what I'm talking about).
QUOTE]

it's still there Goughy - and it is packed every weekend - worth the wait for the fish and chips though !

goughy
30th July 2008, 03:23 PM
So South Bank for lunch and to have a run around with your kid. Is there still that beach there for a swim?? The Museum is there but I don't know what stuff they might have on exhibit that time of year. Maybe head down to Redcliffe and head down to the Jetty. Or Newfarm Park for lunch. There are some beaches in Caloundra quite sheltered; I think it's Sunshine Beach; good for young kids.

sms316
11th September 2008, 03:16 PM
Question for the natives: Is Golden Beach any good?

Just booked a mystery hotel on lastminute.com.au for the 4 days before the champs in the Gold Coast. Got Holiday Inn Surfers Paradise for about $135 per night. Not bad for 4 1/2 stars and within walking distance of Cavill Ave etc.

Grunt
11th September 2008, 03:22 PM
Good to see if this mystery hotel works out , I have seen it before but not been game to use it.

sms316
11th September 2008, 03:25 PM
Neither had I. Having said that, the room details were on the listing before I took the punt. There were only a few motels in Surfers Paradise which would have fit the bill.

Moe Norman
11th September 2008, 07:58 PM
Golden Beach on the sunny Coast is nice.

My in-laws live there and we have a plce in the moorings up there.

Pelican Waters is just up the road if you want a hit and the inlet to Bribie is nice and quiet.

sms316
28th September 2008, 05:09 PM
Anyone going to the Rihanna concert in Brisbane on Nov 1st?

Jarro
28th September 2008, 05:10 PM
Anyone going to the Rihanna concert in Brisbane on Nov 1st?

No

AndyP
28th September 2008, 05:14 PM
No, but if you are can you take some pictures. Mmmmmmm, Rihanna.

sms316
28th September 2008, 05:18 PM
Can I make her my avatar if I do?

Jarro
28th September 2008, 05:20 PM
No

but i can

Minor_Threat
28th September 2008, 08:44 PM
Rhianna.. lol

Spend the 4 nights on the sunny Coast! Coolum is my favourite but anywhere up there id great!

sms316
28th October 2008, 06:22 PM
Shall be kick-starting a vomit on Wednesday 5/11. Made a booking at http://www.zorb.com.au/

"The closest thing to being inside a washing machine".

sms316
28th October 2008, 06:26 PM
***yawn***

sms316
28th October 2008, 06:45 PM
What is the best restaurant in Surfers?

sms316
28th October 2008, 07:07 PM
We are already going to Hollywoods...

Next choice? Is the Lygon restaurant at GCI the be all and end all?

sms316
28th October 2008, 07:17 PM
Hence why I am leaving my daughter in Canberra.

This is the sms version of the summer of George.

shavey
30th October 2008, 12:01 AM
Got Holiday Inn Surfers Paradise for about $135 per night. Not bad for 4 1/2 stars and within walking distance of Cavill Ave etc.

That's who I'm working for now SMS :) that and Crowne Plaza down the road.

When do you check-in and I'll try to catch-up...

sms316
30th October 2008, 06:04 AM
Melbourne Cup day - for 4 nights.