PDA

View Full Version : Oxley Range + Corinda Course Sold

damoocow
29th July 2008, 09:29 AM
Heard this morning that Brisbane Boys College have purchased the Oxley Driving Range and adjoining Corinda Golf Course to develop the land as their sports fields..............I guess that means the end of the Corinda Pitch and Putt also - which is a shame as it is a great venue for getting kids into golf as well as being lots of fun itself

gazgolf1
29th July 2008, 03:14 PM
Shit ey.

AndyP
29th July 2008, 04:16 PM
Well, that stinks.

Mitchell will just have to concentrate on his footy now.

Jarro
29th July 2008, 04:21 PM
Bloody inconsiderate snoby tofynosed private school nerds !

Moe Norman
29th July 2008, 07:19 PM
lovely stuff, shorter drive to the footy when my son (if I have one) goes to BBC one day

terryand
29th July 2008, 07:42 PM
Bloody inconsiderate snoby tofynosed private school nerds !

Hey, I went there :-s

Kinda don't think I fit the above description :-k

Terry.

Moe Norman
29th July 2008, 07:58 PM
true Tezza,

you're very considerate :)

Jarro
29th July 2008, 08:18 PM
Hey, I went there :-s

Kinda don't think I fit the above description :-k

Terry.

No you don't ... sorry :mrgreen: :lol:

Eag's
29th July 2008, 08:29 PM
Tez was a private school kid.....no ****ing way :shock: ;)

BrisVegas
30th July 2008, 08:09 AM
Tez was a private school kid.....no ****ing way :shock: ;)

what are you implying? ;)

AndyP
4th August 2008, 08:50 AM
The school bought out both of the businesses, however they already owned the land.

There are signs up at Corinda Pitch 'n Putt stating that they will still be operating for years to come. There was no specific timeframe mentioned though.

senecio
4th August 2008, 12:46 PM
So they already owned the land, which they were presumably leasing to the businesses generating income. They were in a position to buy out both businesses, indicating they are in a very secure financial position. And yet our government continues to fund private education?

Private School funding (http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/private-education-pay-for-it/2007/05/22/1179601407657.html)

There's a point of view that may divide the forum.

terryand
4th August 2008, 12:56 PM
I actually thought the uniting church owned it and the driving range had a 99 year lease, so maybe they have bought out the business and therefore the lease.

edit: the land isn't worth much as it is a flood plan.

Terry.

BrisVegas
4th August 2008, 12:58 PM
cheers senecio. top article and something very topical in the Vegas household at the moment!

AndyP
4th August 2008, 01:17 PM
It sounds like the author of that article got beaten up by private school bullies as a kid.

PeteyD
4th August 2008, 02:25 PM
Interesting the concept that children of people that pay tax should not receive education funding for their children. There are a lot of lies spread around about the amounts received compared to state schools. Usually this is because the the fact that state schools are funded by state governments is omitted. There is also the issue of the load taken off the state systems by private schools. If you want to argue it, you need to look at the whole picture, not just what suits your argument.

Mind you I think there are flaws with the model that is used to determine amounts to which schools within the private system.

I also think the state govenment needs to take a lot more ownership of the state schools, and needs to reconsider how they are funded. Some state schools in QLD are in dreadful condition.

senecio
4th August 2008, 03:25 PM
Interesting the concept that children of people that pay tax should not receive education funding for their children.

That's a valid point Pete. Not one that I can argue with.

There are a lot of lies spread around about the amounts received compared to state schools. Usually this is because the the fact that state schools are funded by state governments is omitted. There is also the issue of the load taken off the state systems by private schools. If you want to argue it, you need to look at the whole picture, not just what suits your argument.

I guess this is where my ill-informed question arose from. Everything you read on this talks about the disproportionate amount of funding directed toward private schools.

Sounds like its all just media beat up. ;)

PeteyD
4th August 2008, 06:11 PM
It is to an extent. The Teachers union like to jump on the Federal Funding of schools bandwagon. The Courier Mail (Shock Horror) did an actualy breakdown for QLD funding, and state school students receive almost twice as much funding as the private schools up here, on a per head basis. I would like to see more funding put towards state schools, perhaps out of GST revenue or Pokie $$. The state system also has the overheads of being such a large body compared to a private school. I see issues with education funding from both points of view. I would like to have a better idea of how the funding is spent and what it goes to, and why some state schools are a lot 'better' than other state schools.

My son was special needs due to a speech development issue, and the school he goes to bent over backwards to help us. Thankfully the issues are behind us now!

One of his teammates from the rugby was going to a local private school, and has some issues identified, and they did not want anything to do with it. He is now going to a state school (not the closest one), that is more than happy to put the extra time into his education. So you don't necessarily get what you pay for!

Moe Norman
4th August 2008, 07:36 PM
That's a valid point Pete. Not one that I can argue with.

I guess this is where my ill-informed question arose from. Everything you read on this talks about the disproportionate amount of funding directed toward private schools.

Sounds like its all just media beat up. ;)
Thats exactly what it is

State schools are funded by State Governments. State schools also receive federal funding, but a small amount.

Private schools are largely funded by school fees and other private organisations, with small amounts of federal and state government funding.

The Federal Government gives a fair bit more to private schools than it does state schools, but the disproportion is even greater at state level, only vice-versa.

Basically, on a per student basis - state schools still get significantly more government funding than private schools, when figures from both state and federal governments are combined.

My personal belief is that the funding level should be equal, and if parents then decide to increase the per student figure out of their own pocket, that is their business. However, it has been proven (and I accept it) that this model wouldn't work in a practical sense.

terryand
4th August 2008, 08:12 PM
Qld Education is run by idiots and I think any teacher out there would agree.

Example of how they waste the money they receive.

It cost them roughly $20,000 to move my family up here, that fair enough as we will be here for a minimum of 3 years.

here's where it gets stupid, laughable actually. One of the Deputies moved, so they brought in a acting for 6 months. After the 6 months the job goes up for grabs. Of course the acting applies for it, but no he doesn't get it. So they move him to Charleville and move someone in from the Carins area from memory.

Funny thing is the guy that went to Charleville is acting again and might get moved on again.

So theres an easy way to burn up 40 or 60 grand every 6 months if you don't get the right person in the job first time.

Terry.

markTHEblake
4th August 2008, 08:24 PM
Just another pathetic media beatup. One of the other reasons that the Govt funds private schools is to put in place the standard curriculum. Can you imagine the outrage if these private schools could form their own curriculum's?

poidda
5th August 2008, 08:42 AM
Simple solution. Why aren't the private schools means tested? If they can afford to buy up businesses and land all over the place, than why should they still be getting government handouts?

PeteyD
5th August 2008, 09:47 AM
Won't work Poidda.

markTHEblake
5th August 2008, 07:42 PM
Not all the private schools are Catholic!

Moe Norman
5th August 2008, 08:23 PM
Simple solution. Why aren't the private schools means tested? If they can afford to buy up businesses and land all over the place, than why should they still be getting government handouts?because they take enormous pressure off the public system and those parents that choose to spend money on their children's education shouldn't see their considerable taxes go towards educating other peoples children and not their own.

If private schools closed their doors and all students were forced into the state system, and funding remained the same - education in Australia would collapse on the spot.

markTHEblake
5th August 2008, 10:48 PM
Theres probably 1000 things that I would object to my taxes paying for - if i knew what they were.

Private School funding is an easy target - and I'd bet if the majority of them didnt have a "St." in their name, there would be a lot less whinging.

AndyP
5th August 2008, 10:52 PM
Lucky I'm sending the boys to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart School then, instead of one of those crappy St. schools you speak of.

markTHEblake
5th August 2008, 11:03 PM
Too Right!

I know Peteyd had an experience but IMHO thats isolated, i have experienced public and private as both a student and a parent and I guarantee there is a significant difference at private schools. We do it pretty hard to be able to pay my kids school fees, and if things get harder at home, that will be the last thing that gets cut. I'll do whatever it takes to keep my kids in the school they have.

I still remember my first visit to the school to check it out. Everyone smiled at us as we walked around - not only the staff a couple of the kids too. as Macca would say - you can just feel the luuurrv.

damoocow
5th August 2008, 11:04 PM
because they take enormous pressure off the public system and those parents that choose to spend money on their children's education shouldn't see their considerable taxes go towards educating other peoples children and not their own.

If private schools closed their doors and all students were forced into the state system, and funding remained the same - education in Australia would collapse on the spot.

Are you sure ? - Once the private schools shut down we pass legislation resuming the private school properties so all the new state school students have somewhere to be taught and then sell off some off their assets to cover any initial funding shortfall - I can't see any reason the Govt can't also find some extra money to fix up any funding problem - they always have in the past - sounds like a good idea to me

and as for your comment ................
''parents that choose to spend money on their children's education shouldn't see their considerable taxes go towards educating other peoples children and not their own.'' - I think you'll find it also applies equally to parents of state school educated children

BrisVegas
6th August 2008, 07:50 AM
I'm still waiting for a local state school to be built.... Until then we'll be choosing the cheapest private option.

Moe Norman
6th August 2008, 07:56 AM
and as for your comment ................
''parents that choose to spend money on their children's education shouldn't see their considerable taxes go towards educating other peoples children and not their own.'' - I think you'll find it also applies equally to parents of state school educated children
I won't bother quoting the rest of your fanciful idea, but of course it applies to parents of state school educated children.

Every child should get funding from the government for education, regardless of the school their parent chooses to send them and regardless of how much that parent chooses to subsidise their kids education.

I suppose private hospitals shouldn't get any government health funding either?

PeteyD
6th August 2008, 03:16 PM
Our experience has been all good. My son goes to a new private school (only 5 or so years old) and my daughter to one of the oldest. I would probably sell the house and rent before taking them out of their schools and sending em to state schools. The example I gave is for one of the boys at rugby, but it just shows you have to check the schools out before assuming that because it is private it is good.

Grunt
6th August 2008, 07:22 PM
I suppose private hospitals shouldn't get any government health funding either?

You bet I think that. To me Private means privately funded. I used private hospitals in the past because I have private health insurance, not because the government paid for them.
I think the education system should be biased toward public schools. If we did not encourage such an elitist culture, maybe those not so well off would not struggle so much. I agree if you can afford it go for it, but don't make it harder to get an education if you can't afford it. Government funding to private schools should be marginal compared to Public schooling.

PeteyD
6th August 2008, 07:37 PM
It is grunt

Moe Norman
6th August 2008, 07:40 PM
I think the education system should be biased toward public schools. If we did not encourage such an elitist culture, maybe those not so well off would not struggle so much. I agree if you can afford it go for it, but don't make it harder to get an education if you can't afford it. Government funding to private schools should be marginal compared to Public schooling.Thats probably why it is :-k

Grunt
6th August 2008, 07:43 PM
Is not as marginal as it should be. Private schools are too funded. Governemts are giving too much when Public schools are being closed because there are more privates schools are in the area.

Moe Norman
6th August 2008, 08:00 PM
Or maybe the area has a demographic that wants to send their children to Private schools and they are executing that choice, without being penalised for it as some feel they should be.

Many parents scrape together the ~$5k a year it might cost to send their kid to a standard suburban private school, purely because they feel that its their best chance (rightly or wrongly) to give their kids a headstart in life.

If private schools got no funding, the fees would skyrocket and kids would be forced back into public system and total education funding would have to rise significantly to offset the lost subsidy provided by those parents who chose to send their kids to a private school but can no longer afford it.

People talk about the Kings and the Geelong Grammars, and don't realise that elite schools like this make up about 1% of the private schools that are tarred with the 'elitist' brush.

You call it an elitist culture, I call it a culture of choice. This attitude of wanting to punish the 'so called' rich, is not healthy.

A kid whose parents make $50k a year should have the same level of funding and access to education as the kids parents who make $500k.

PeteyD
6th August 2008, 08:02 PM
Grunt - Really? No schools being closed up here that I am aware of. Although they are rationalising some to make huge schools. It is still a lot cheaper to fund some of the education for a student at a private school then one at a state school. And state governments could dip into GST revenue and General Revenue to help fund education as well.

I think you might be wrong about the reasons for schools closing being private schools too.

goughy
6th August 2008, 08:27 PM
I went to private catholic (the little 'c' is not laziness, it's intential ;) schools my whole life. My kids will go state.

One simple fact (at least I believe it). Which ever way you go you can get shit teachers and good teachers. Cross your fingers!

jaybam
6th August 2008, 08:41 PM
Wow didnt this thread get off topic :)

markTHEblake
6th August 2008, 09:32 PM
Which ever way you go you can get shit teachers and good teachers. Cross your fingers!

Not quite, certain private schools can get rid of(or avoid) the bad teachers by legal discrimination.

damoocow
6th August 2008, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=Moe Norman;244979]

If private schools got no funding, the fees would skyrocket and kids would be forced back into public system and total education funding would have to rise significantly to offset the lost subsidy provided by those parents who chose to send their kids to a private school but can no longer afford it

QUOTE]

No Real problem - we would then have your elitist rich people private schools - and extra govt funding for the state schools with the new [ex] private school students - Governments will always find money to fund whatever is needed.............

damoocow
6th August 2008, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=Moe Norman;244979]

You call it an elitist culture, I call it a culture of choice. This attitude of wanting to punish the 'so called' rich, is not healthy.

QUOTE]

A culture of choice will only ever exist if it is affordable by all - if the average person is priced out of the market it then becomes elitist

markTHEblake
6th August 2008, 11:16 PM
If everyone could afford it, then the richer people would create a better one that cost more that most others couldnt afford.

PeteyD
7th August 2008, 06:35 AM
[quote=Moe Norman;244979]

If private schools got no funding, the fees would skyrocket and kids would be forced back into public system and total education funding would have to rise significantly to offset the lost subsidy provided by those parents who chose to send their kids to a private school but can no longer afford it

QUOTE]

No Real problem - we would then have your elitist rich people private schools - and extra govt funding for the state schools with the new [ex] private school students - Governments will always find money to fund whatever is needed.............

The state governments already cry poor. What would happen if they suddenly had double the number of students?

Grunt
7th August 2008, 07:29 AM
Why is this such a problem in QLD anyway? You already get more than your per captia GST chunk anyway.

AndyP
7th August 2008, 07:46 AM
I don't recall it becoming a Qld specific discussion.

PeteyD
7th August 2008, 07:49 AM
Well no we don't, it is compensation for state taxes that didn't exist in QLD prior to GST, mainly fuel.

And where did QLD come into the argument?

Grunt
7th August 2008, 07:52 AM
Fish On!!

AndyP
7th August 2008, 07:55 AM
Looks like he got you a good one, Petey. :roll:

Actually, it looks like an admission to trolling which is an offence. Ban him?

PeteyD
7th August 2008, 08:07 AM
Nah, pathetic really, has no argument so behaves like a wally ;)

poidda
7th August 2008, 09:02 AM
Do the private golf courses (which may be elitist or may not) get the same funding as council run courses? Or what about the public pools compared to the private gyms? Or then there's the roads of a gated comunity. There're all the same.

IMO if you think your kids are to good for public schools (or vice verser) than that's where the choice is made. You choice not to use the system that is provided for you. Which ever way you look at it, it's elitism. The rich get an advantage over the poor from an early age.

Of course without private schools there'd be a flood of teachers (good and bad) back into the public system.

PeteyD
7th August 2008, 09:06 AM
Totally different Poidda. Education is compulsory.

senecio
7th August 2008, 04:14 PM
... Education is compulsory.

You wouldn't think so looking at some of the youth today.

God I'm getting old. :oops: