PDA

View Full Version : Colonial GC

AndyP
28th July 2008, 04:43 PM
Here's a quick review on Colonial (formerly Paradise Springs) in the lead up to the Champs (assuming the first round will be played there). For those that have played it, throw some comments in here.

I played it wet yesterday, so it played a bit longer than usual for me (although courses are rarely short for me). We were hitting off the blue tees (ACR 72).

Although quite often the hazards from the tee didn't come into play, in the dry they most likely will, and already would for the longer hitters. I found the fairways quite wide, and the rough not really punishing, but for the big misses comes the punishment. Especially the water that runs along most holes.

The greens were very challenging, with a couple of elephants buried and several times there seemed to be multiple breaks. Perhaps that was just the pin positions we got post Club Champs/Pennants, but I found the putting tough going. Not ridiculously hard like Pacific Harbour, but a good test. They were relatively large greens too.

From memory all of the greens had several bunkers, however I believe there is a safe miss on most approaches if you plan for it and back your short game.

Conditioning seemed fine, besides the slop which is common for all the courses in that area. One green was under repair, but besides that they were relatively fast and gave a good roll.

The meal prices seemed reasonable too. I can't comment on drink prices, as it was loser's shout, however I do know that the UDLs were $10 with the new taxes. I believe they have the BBQ up and running on the Saturdays, which was given a wrap by poidda, kpac and g69, so we may be able to take advantage of that for a pre-round feed?

I wouldn't pay full rack rate for the place, and it's not up there with other "resort" courses around the place, but I think it's a good course to start the Champs.

sms316
28th July 2008, 05:03 PM
$10 for a UDL??

They are $5.50 for a can at my club.

markTHEblake
28th July 2008, 06:23 PM
I think Andyp is deliberately underestimating Colonial. I had to read it twice cos its reads more like Royal Pines. Colonial is one of the harsher courses around and I dont enjoy playing there, but I guess I might be thinking of the Black tees which are a bit further back.

addamsmith
29th July 2008, 08:56 AM
I have played it over 200 times plus,

GOOD POINTS
Best off the Back markers ( this is how the course was designed to be played)
Great when dry
No water on the course at all ( THAT WAS A BIG FAT LIE )
Very Flat, so great for walking.
Great layout
Big greens

BAD POINTS
If you spit it floods
when wet no run at all.
Greens are hard and tuff to stop the ball.
You see the drink cart girl every 6 weeks

This is a great course if you have 1 week of sunshine before you play.
I also 5 years ago took out my old Bushnell and made a great course yardage book. Very Accurate.
Addam

addamsmith
29th July 2008, 08:57 AM
Sorry I had the bold on.
Mark knows I can not Type and look up at the same time.
Sorry

kpac
29th July 2008, 09:27 AM
Easier course of the black that the whites for mine.
all the water (and there is plenty) is in play off the tee. Far less is on your approach shots, so missing the green in not a penal as missing you tee shot...
Greens aren't even close Pac harbor!!! couple of bumps but pretty subtle..
They can get them running pretty quick too. I think the greens are the courses strong point, usually fast and true, albeit a little hard..

AndyP
29th July 2008, 03:59 PM
Best off the Back markers ( this is how the course was designed to be played)Without wanting to take it off topic with the same old, it really depends on your level of play or length off the tee. I'm sure you hit them out there and have a very low handicap, so the black tees are where you should play from.I'd be yet another 10 or 20 metres short of the fairway bunkers though.

You see the drink cart girl every 6 weeksWe saw her at least 4 times I would say, so maybe they have improved.

sms316
29th July 2008, 04:03 PM
What tees will the OzGolf champs be off?

Jarro
29th July 2008, 04:06 PM
Red

addamsmith
29th July 2008, 08:42 PM
Without wanting to take it off topic with the same old, it really depends on your level of play or length off the tee. I'm sure you hit them out there and have a very low handicap, so the black tees are where you should play from.I'd be yet another 10 or 20 metres short of the fairway bunkers though.
We saw her at least 4 times I would say, so maybe they have improved.

Andy
What do you mean mate, I here you rip it out there big fella.

AndyP
30th July 2008, 07:52 AM
Andy
What do you mean mate, I here you rip it out there big fella.69ers bunts go further than my drives.

My point is that different tees are there for different standard players, including the reds. Therefore the statement that "the back markers are where the course was designed to be played from" is never true.