PDA

View Full Version : New set of Irons

goonie
27th July 2008, 10:23 PM
I am thinking of buying a set of irons off ebay or one of the US stores and was just wanted some opinions on the few sets of irons I am looking at getting. I am going to try and get a set with a different set of shafts to the ones I have now. eg Project X.

Magregor m685 - going for around $200 US, interested in the Rifle lite flighted shafts too
Bridgestone GC Mid - $200-250 US
Bridgestone J36 PC
Cobra Carbon CB or Forged CB
TM R7 TP
TM LT2

If anyone know any good US shops to look at please ley me know. I've already been looking at 3balls, rockbottomgolf and on ebay.

Thanks

simmsy
27th July 2008, 11:01 PM
I recently purchased a set of Cobra FP's from Edwin Watts in the US.
Great service & Great price, I ordered them on a thursday night and had them at my front door on tuesday afternoon. Postage was about $50US.
I have also purchased a driver from them and same thing with service, couldn't fault them.

simmsy..;)

macjackass
27th July 2008, 11:53 PM
The j36 pc's are really good, just off-loaded them. Only reason is that I wanted to try some irons with graphite shafts to see if they were any better for my left thumb and wrist. Just had a little too much offset. I was looking at the macs but couldn't find any with graphite shafts. I really like the look of them at address, could easily play them. Had a set of r7 tp's too. Reasonably forgiving and not a bad club but for me they were not as good as the other two. Can also vouch for edwin watts, great service and delivery is super fast.

PeteyD
28th July 2008, 07:22 AM
The Macs are great irons and very cheap these days. They are reasonably forgiving. I just picked up a set of GC Mids off Rick to compare. I'll probably stay with the macs so there might be a cheapish set of Mids available here soon ;)

addamsmith
28th July 2008, 09:55 AM
Hi goonie
As Peter Said the Mcgregors are great irons. To be honest all the above irons are great clubs.
What is your handicap mate?
Addam

goonie
28th July 2008, 10:54 AM
I picked up a set of Bridgestone GC Mids fitted with Project X 5.5s last night off ebay, clubs have only been used for 1 round, and the set were cheaper than most GC Mids on ebay. I was mainly after the shafts but from what I've read on reviews last night I picked up a good set of heads as well. I have been very close to buying some Mac m685s a few times. I am very interested in the Rifle flighted lite shafts. Apparently they are only made for Macgregor.

PeteyD - Do your Macs have the rifle flighted lite shafts? How do they compare to other popular shafts? Your in Brissy aren't you? We might have to have a game sometime and let me try them out ;-)

Adam - Single figure handicap

Scottt
28th July 2008, 11:05 AM
We all vary, but I would suggest as a single figure marker, if you like to work the ball a bit and control trajectory, the R7TPs aren't the right stick for you.

I found you could hit them either high or high, and while the offset was minimal, that high ballflight took away workability.

They are quite forgiving, but I guess that's only a benefit if you need forgiveness.

I've switched to some Mizzy MP-60s and am enjoying the added control and feedback a lot more.

Unless he has sold them, Courty has some TM RAC combos that might be the business.

PeteyD
28th July 2008, 11:08 AM
Goonie, no worries, maybe we could meet at a driving range or something. I would be keen to try the GC's in the PX as well. I enjoyed using PX shafts in a set of CBs I had. I am probably not the best to ask about comparing shafts, as I either like em not. The Rifle Flighted lites I like.

goonie
28th July 2008, 12:49 PM
PeteyD - I hit the PX in a set of Cobra forged CB's at a demo a few weeks ago and they were very nice, didn't like the flighted shafts thou but it may have also been the Cally X forged heads which were harsh, one of the reps was telling me to make the PX flighted they were just using a softer shaft in the long irons, don't know if thats true or not. The PX 5.5 are a mid weight shaft at 115 uncut too. Driving range sounds like a good idea, I'm at Capalaba where are you?, give me a week or so for the clubs to arrive.

Scott - I like the look of the R7TPs but I haven't had the chance to hit them yet, I have also read that they fly quite high, but they are also a bit to expensive for me at the moment. Will have to try them at a Demo night. I am looking for forgiveness in a Cavity that is not to big and not to much offset, I only play once a week so the MP60's might be a bit much if the game is off and I only work the ball now if I need too. I currently have 704cb/nippon S 950wf, SE 600c/nippon S 1050, TA2/TT S DGSL and Maxfli revolutions unshafted.

macjackass - I came a across a few graphite sets of Mac m685 while searching the US ebay. let me know if you want me to find them.

PeteyD
28th July 2008, 12:59 PM
Goonie, Victoria Point so Capalaba range could be a goer. Let me know.

goonie
21st August 2008, 11:00 PM
Got my GC Mids this week, (they were delayed because PayPal is so bloody slow when taking funds out of a bank account, I will use Credit Card next time) They are in great nick and have PX 5.5 shafts out of a set Titty AP1's. The only thing I amd not that keen on is they have a bit more offset than I like. Anyway I will give them a go on the weekend.

Bruce
22nd August 2008, 08:15 AM
Welcome to the GC club mate ;)

jaybam
22nd August 2008, 03:13 PM
Your a game putting new sticks in the bag for first round of the club champs goonie. Look forward to seeing how they go first hand :)