PDA

View Full Version : Will you fly Qantas again

Coffs_Hacker
27th July 2008, 12:11 PM
With the latest near death experience of a few unlucky people flying Qantas I have to Ask, who would want to fly Qantas again, This is what the 3rd Major incident this yr??

Grunt
27th July 2008, 12:24 PM
Nah you should all not fly, we need the seats available for us to fly staff travel. With our pay rise we can have more holidays.

Coffs_Hacker
27th July 2008, 12:30 PM
LOL :smt081

markTHEblake
27th July 2008, 01:01 PM
With the latest near death experience of a few unlucky people flying Qantas I have to Ask?

thats the difference isnt it, was only "near" death. If it was any other airline the plane would have crashed and everyone would have died.

goughy
27th July 2008, 01:36 PM
How many aircraft have crashed in the Qantas fleet? What about every other airline around the world? I never fly anyway, but I'd have no issues with them, apart from the ridiculous amount they pay some of their staff ;) ;) ;)

Jarro
27th July 2008, 01:45 PM
I'll fly with them

markTHEblake
27th July 2008, 01:49 PM
but will you send your golf bags with them?

Jarro
27th July 2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, MY golf bag would be fine ...

... don't know about yours though :mrgreen:

markTHEblake
27th July 2008, 02:06 PM
I got a Callaway one just for Qantas flights, you would never pick it.

virge666
27th July 2008, 04:25 PM
Fly VirginBlue . . .

Much better view.

Fishman Dan
27th July 2008, 05:47 PM
I think I have to answer yes - 6am tomorrow to Canberra. What a stupid time to go to Canberra....

PeteyD
27th July 2008, 06:06 PM
Only if they replace the hosties with the Virgin ones.

Jarro
28th July 2008, 01:14 AM
No such thing as a Virgin hostie

markTHEblake
28th July 2008, 07:53 AM
at least not after you met them, right Jarro?

sms316
28th July 2008, 08:11 AM
I think I have to answer yes - 6am tomorrow to Canberra. What a stupid time to go to Canberra....
Poor bastard! Was about -4 at 7am.

AndyP
28th July 2008, 09:10 AM
Me too. Let me know where you'll be, so I can avoid those places.

For work, I don't really get a choice of who I fly with, but I've always tried to get Virgin flights for personal trips anyway.

dc68
28th July 2008, 09:21 AM
Nah you should all not fly, we need the seats available for us to fly staff travel. With our pay rise we can have more holidays.

Yep I second that.

jaybam
2nd August 2008, 06:06 PM
Just watching the news and another problem with a qantas flight?? How long till these buggers get grounded???Maybe they will just wait till one falls out of the sky with a full load of passengers on it.I ask whats going on with the qantas planes??

Grunt
2nd August 2008, 06:10 PM
The lack of money being spent on maintenance, or is it getting done at lesser quality facilities.

jaybam
2nd August 2008, 06:14 PM
Hearing the same excusses grunt but the answer is when is something going to be done about it?? Like i said when a full plane drops out of the sky??? Think you should all start looking for jobs the way this is going.

Grunt
2nd August 2008, 06:47 PM
How about the media tell real news and stop reporting everything that is meaningless. These things were happening for the last 5 years but they did not report it then. Why are they doing it now? They seem to back the company when the Union was telling thne it was happening but after we seemed to have settled on a pay deal they are reporting it. Is it us the engineers fault we are maintaining older generation planes to a 2nd rate management plan.

goughy
2nd August 2008, 07:08 PM
Is the Qantas problem rate any higher than other airlines around the world?? Who has the best 'no probs' record?

Grunt
2nd August 2008, 07:09 PM
Why should we compare to the world, we were the benchmark only a few years ago.

goughy
2nd August 2008, 07:23 PM
So to me that answer means qantas is still above the rest of the world. You'd have said that we have dropped right down and made more of a deal of it rather than giving me a brush off answer :)

Grunt
2nd August 2008, 07:26 PM
We are trying to get the job done with what we have got, if we did everything that was reqd to keep the planes to a standard that we think is right they would never fly. We compromise so to keep the traveling both safe and on time. In the dispute we may have erred on the side of aircraft safety and not worried about on time departures.

jaybam
2nd August 2008, 07:27 PM
Ah ok so its the medias fault again?? Good excuse i suppose. As far as im aware the media dont maintain the planes.

Grunt
2nd August 2008, 07:33 PM
And the aussie engineers dont cut the engineering budget.

jaybam
2nd August 2008, 07:38 PM
Cuts were probably made so you can have your payrise. Money had to come from somewhere. So now all our saftey if we fly qantas is compromised?? They dont make enough money so have to cut some from somewhere huh lol.

Moe Norman
2nd August 2008, 07:54 PM
We are trying to get the job done with what we have got, if we did everything that was reqd to keep the planes to a standard that we think is right they would never fly. We compromise so to keep the traveling both safe and on time. In the dispute we may have erred on the side of aircraft safety and not worried about on time departures.thats code for 'employed go slow tactics'

just as we all thought

Grunt
2nd August 2008, 07:55 PM
Only go slow when you were flying Moe. And that will always be the case.

goughy
2nd August 2008, 07:56 PM
And still my question remains unanswered. So I'm guessing qantas's standards are still top of the world.

Grunt
2nd August 2008, 07:57 PM
And still my question remains unanswered. So I'm guessing qantas's standards are still top of the world.

Yes our standards would be but the company may prefer us to drop them a little.

goughy
2nd August 2008, 08:09 PM
Cool. I could finally submit my poll response. Flying Qantas would mean I'm still as or safer than with any other airline around! That'd do me.

Of course, I've only flown with Ansett, once, about 20 years ago. So I'm more likely to die from an aircraft landing on my head than while sitting in one! :)

Moe Norman
3rd August 2008, 11:01 AM
Only go slow when you were flying Moe. And that will always be the case.no need to be a smartarse.

you said at the time, no go slow tactics were employed, but have now just freely admitted that they were.

Honesty in negotiations is always a good start

Grunt
3rd August 2008, 05:27 PM
Was not go slow Moe. All we did was not work overtime and if the flight crew reported a defect we fixed it. The pilots had the choice to take the aircraft but they would ask us to fix it most times. They supported us more than you all think. Aircraft fly with Defects everyday.

Moe Norman
3rd August 2008, 06:49 PM
you altered your day to day work activity which resulted in slower procedures. (according to you, not me)

Doesn't matter how you word it now, thats a go slow tactic.

Grunt
3rd August 2008, 06:57 PM
Was not slower Moe, we just fixed more defects that were reported.

Grunt
3rd August 2008, 07:07 PM
Just forget it Moe, we did what we had to to get a decent result for our EBA. In A few weeks it will get voted in and it will be over. I don't think the media will care as much as it does now as sensationalist stories sell papers/TV ratings. Fair enough the incident in Manilla could have been ugly but it wasn't.
The 767 yesterday was a nothing event, the pilot could have flown to Manilla and the passengers would not have noticed. If a spoiler was to lose hydraulics as the media has reported the same spoiler would have still been functional due to the fail safe systems in the 767 Aircraft. The fail safe system involves fully independant hydraulic systems for major flight components. On the 767 there are 3 independant systems. He chose to come back to Sydney, it would have been more to the fact that if he went to Manilla he would have been stuck there. He came back to the 767 Base for the defect to be fixed in the most economical port available. The passengers got to Manilla didn't they? Would they prefer to get there in a box. Late is better than never!

poidda
4th August 2008, 08:31 AM
How about the media tell real news and stop reporting everything that is meaningless. These things were happening for the last 5 years but they did not report it then. Why are they doing it now? They seem to back the company when the Union was telling thne it was happening but after we seemed to have settled on a pay deal they are reporting it. Is it us the engineers fault we are maintaining older generation planes to a 2nd rate management plan.

I'm confused? Have there been holes blown in planes for the last 5 years? If there has, Quntas needs to re-employ there chief cover-upperer quick smart.

So is it the media beefing up the "meaningless incidents", or is it the union beefing up the inability to prevent these "meaningless incidents".

This Qantas b1tching can go on forever, and will actually probably go on longer than the airline itself. What's with Qantas no longer flying into the Gold Coast? Australias 6th largest city. Is this a sign of things to come? Replace all Qantas flights with Jetstar?

Coffs_Hacker
4th August 2008, 09:49 AM
What's with Qantas no longer flying into the Gold Coast?

Hehehehe we have 4 fights a day to coffs from syd....God knows why???

Scottt
4th August 2008, 10:18 AM
I don't think the media will care as much as it does now as sensationalist stories sell papers/TV ratings. Fair enough the incident in Manilla could have been ugly but it wasn't.
The 767 yesterday was a nothing event...

Mate, a door ripping off a plane and another flying through the sky with smoke billowing from it don't need to be sensationalised by the media. They are pretty bloody sensational as it is. The door ripping off in manilla was ugly. Thankfully it wasn't fatal, but it was definitely ugly.

You need to take your engineer hat off and look at this from the customer's point of view. An airline is only as good as its safety reputation, and Qantas has had two major ****ups in that department in the space of as many weeks.

If it has been happening for years and hasn't been reported, I'll guarantee that's because Qantas kept it quiet. If what's been occurring recently has been happening before and the media was aware it would have received exactly the same treatment.

As an aircraft engineer you might know that what was causing the trail of excitement from that plane on Saturday wasn't serious, but you can apprweciate, surely, that it looks bad, and with the messy negotiations between the engineers and the company, bad press is the last thing Qantas needs to be bringing upon itself.

Blaming the media is pissweak. If there was nothing going bad, there would be nothing to report. Don't shoot the messenger.

sms316
4th August 2008, 10:25 AM
Dilemma - Flights to/from champs;

To: Virgin $89 pp.

Back: Plummet Airways $115 pp / Virgin $144 pp. Cheaper to fly Plummet, but of course one of the baggage handlers will know what my golf bag looks like by then.

macjackass
4th August 2008, 11:19 AM
Grunt, I'm with you 100%. The fact some people on here are on the side of the media and qantas management is disgusting. How much did you guys get, 4%? I certainly would not call that greedy.

henno
4th August 2008, 11:37 AM
Grunt, I'm with you 100%. The fact some people on here are on the side of the media and qantas management is disgusting.

So the media reports on Qantas and their safety issues, regardless of the seriousness of them or not, and somehow agreeing that they should be reported and not hidden is 'siding with the media' and (*gasp*) disgusting?

Come on.

How much did you guys get, 4%? I certainly would not call that greedy.

What has that got to do with the safety occurences or the media.

I would rather the media report on 100 safety issues that may or may not be considered minor, than have 99 of them go quietly unnoticed and 1 serious problem being swept under the carpet.

People are so quick to blame the media for everything, and yet we owe them so much. You have to take the good with the bad. I will concede that occasionally the media gets worked up and otherwise insignificant issues will get beaten around a bit. But that sure is better than the alternative.

You want a controlled media? Move to China. I hear there flavour of the internet is a little different too. You might even get lucky and ozgolf won't be blocked for insubordination.

terryand
4th August 2008, 11:48 AM
Maybe if a certain group of people where focused about the job infront of them and not the 5% they wanted we wouldn't be hearing about these incidents :-s

Terry.

macjackass
4th August 2008, 11:49 AM
So the media here is not controlled, you're kidding? Have you ever picked up a newspaper and actually read it? Good grief!!

henno
4th August 2008, 12:23 PM
So the media here is not controlled, you're kidding? Have you ever picked up a newspaper and actually read it? Good grief!!

I didn't say they weren't, although I can see how you read that into it. I guess meant 'a MORE controlled media'.

Regardless, by saying that you want the media to be reined in on reporting what they like on this qantas saga, trivial or not, but criticise them for not having enough freedom on the other hand is a total contradiction.

Like I said before, you have to take the good with the bad. More media freedom does have its downsides, especially if you are on the receiving end of a particular story.

I am sure that the Chinese government has never done a thing wrong, as far as Xinhua is concerned. But as many have elluded to in here, just because it is written it doesn't make it right. In the same instance, just because it is NOT written about, doesn't mean it didn't happen either.

Scottt
4th August 2008, 12:34 PM

Controlled by whom?

henno
4th August 2008, 12:35 PM
Controlled by whom?

Xenu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu)

Scottt
4th August 2008, 12:44 PM
Xenu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu)

:lol: I was wondering who that strange dude was making me change my front page stories every week!

The paranoid conspiracy theory that the powers that be dictate the coverage in Australian newspapers makes me laugh out loud.

macjackass
4th August 2008, 12:50 PM
If you don't think news limited has a bias to the right side of politics then you are deluded in the extreme.

Scottt
4th August 2008, 01:00 PM
Some sections do, just as the SMH and ABC both lean to the left.

All companies have interests and biases to some extent, and compared to the rest of the world ther Australian media is exceptionally uninterested and fair.

There is a cavernous space between "leans a bit to the right/left" and "is controlled".

I've spent the past eight years working for the big two (Fairfax and News) and there isn't interferance from above in valuing news. It amazes me how many people genuinely think that goes on!

macjackass
4th August 2008, 01:08 PM
Granted, abc and smh are left leaning but the bias toward the right is much greater at news limited. The Australian is basically advertising for the liberal party!! As for "cavernous space" you are dead wrong. You would be amazed how many people take what they read in a paper as fact.

Scottt
4th August 2008, 01:14 PM
Granted, abc and smh are left leaning but the bias toward the right is much greater at news limited. The Australian is basically advertising for the liberal party!! As for "cavernous space" you are dead wrong. You would be amazed how many people take what they read in a paper as fact.

Are you kidding me? Look at hopw the Aus trated Debnam before last year's state election and it's complete disregard for anything Dr Nelson has to say!!

People can comfortably take to be fact what is presented in the paper as fact. The error in the reader's ways is to take a quote or comment from an interested party and regurgitate it as "What the Tele said". The Tele has its faults, but this perception that journos sit around just wantonly making things up is delusional.

The cavernous space reference was about the "length of the straight" separation between leaning a certain way and being controlled by the left/rigth winf puppeteers.

What first hand experience (other than erading the paper) do you have of this "control" of the Australian media?

macjackass
4th August 2008, 01:22 PM
If you think the ownership of media organisations is about bringing us the news and not selling their respective publications (ie making money) then I don't know what to say.

henno
4th August 2008, 01:23 PM
You would be amazed how many people take what they read in a paper as fact.

Now you are just being silly. You know as well as anyone that almost everything in the papers IS fact (ignoring opinion pieces etc).

Spin or not, there is no national conspiracy to flood the papers with nothing but lies. That's just not true.

And this is coming from a self-confessed left-wing pinko.

Scottt
4th August 2008, 01:32 PM
If you think the ownership of media organisations is about bringing us the news and not selling their respective publications (ie making money) then I don't know what to say.

So I'll take it you have no first-hand knowledge to base your opinion on.

At the risk of being rude, and I realise I do that on here more than I'd like, you don't know what to say because you don't appear to know what you're talking about.

Media organisations are indeed companies that operate to make profit.

Reputations are built on strength of news and the ability to entertain and inform. Without that, a paper has nothing.

The separation between commercial interest and editorial independence is fought hard for and exists in our major papers. Commercial relaities do not estrict or affect the news that is presented.

What you're claiming is akin to saying Holden exists to make a profit, so it deliberately cuts corners and builds dangerous cars because that is cheaper and will get them more profit. That simply does not hold true.

BrisVegas
4th August 2008, 01:33 PM
boooooooring. get a room you two. :roll:

macjackass
4th August 2008, 01:43 PM
Scottt, please tell what you have done at Fairfax and news?

Scottt
4th August 2008, 01:49 PM
Journo, sub-editor, sports editor and now editor.

Please understand I'm trying not to be rude above, but you're pretty much accusing my trade of being soul-less, so I'm sure you can appreciate my position.

macjackass
4th August 2008, 01:59 PM
I don't know I would say soul-less but getting back to what the thread is actually about I feel that the latest incidents regarding qantas would have been reported differently had there not been the pay dispute with the engineers.

As for the Tele, the fact that you would defend that piece of garbage... nevermind, rant over. We'll agree to disagree.

Scottt
4th August 2008, 02:05 PM
I never defended the Telegraph. David Penberthy does what he likes. I didn't said I liked it, hated it or was indifferent. I simply said that the editorial direction is at the discretion of the senior editorial team, not the sales team, big business, the Liberal Party or anyone else.

I'll have to agree to disagree about the coverage these insidents would have received. There's something about a big piece of aeroplane tearing off at 30,000 feet that screams "newsworthy", reradless of whether some engineers are chasing payrises or not.

macjackass
4th August 2008, 02:22 PM
Sure, a gaping hole in the side of a plane is absolutely a newsworthy event. The other incidents not so.

Scottt
4th August 2008, 02:27 PM
But in the wake of the gaping hole, those events show a continuing issue with Qantas' a) maintenance or b) the age of the fleet.

If not for the gaping hole, they probably rate a mention on page 10, but they represent the continuation of a drop in safety, or at least apparent safety, at the nation's major and most iconic airline.

Grant may well be right in saying the issues that caused the stream of smoke from the engine wasn't serious, but it certainly looks serious to the layman, and that's just as important for Qantas.

Scottt
4th August 2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,24120975-5014090,00.html

I take it CASA is beating this up as well by launching an investigation?

jaybam
4th August 2008, 03:04 PM
This is a bag qantas thread not bag the media thread. Go make another one and let us sledge qantas :)

PeteyD
4th August 2008, 03:05 PM
These latest incidents seem to lend weight to Grunts talk of cutting back in maintenance etc, and supporting him more than QANTAS.

Scottt
4th August 2008, 03:12 PM
Fault aside, because the average punter doesn't care what section of the company is at fault, it lends extra weight to the argument that Qantas ain't what she used to be.

For many domestic routes Qantas is nowhere near cheapest, same goes for longhaul routes.

So if it isn't cheapest and it's no longer considered safer than foreign airlines, the future looks bleak.

henno
4th August 2008, 06:02 PM
There really should be no argument here within the context of this thread.

The media's coverage of the safety incidences, rightly or wrongly, reflects negatively on the Qantas management more than anything else.

If anything, it probably plays right into the hands of the engineers. Where's the issue?

Next we'll have Geoff Dixon on ozgolf bitching that the media is making him look bad.

Grunt
4th August 2008, 06:44 PM
Grant may well be right in saying the issues that caused the stream of smoke from the engine wasn't serious, but it certainly looks serious to the layman, and that's just as important for Qantas.

See you don't know what it actually was, it was not smoke! It was Hydraulic fluid leaking from a spoiler actuator. The temperature difference and the lack of moisture in the air at that altitude means it was condensing and looking way more than it was. It was not smoke so nothing was burning.

TS
4th August 2008, 06:50 PM
Grant.

Stop defending yourself. I am not sure why, but it seem few of the people are picking on you lately.

You are entitle to get as much payrise as you can get from your employer. We all want to get pay more and use our own way to get it.

I think Qantas problem is a combination of cost cutting and may be a bit of bad luck at the same time. The hole in the 747 look pretty bad, but the other problems doesn't seem that big a deal.

henno
4th August 2008, 06:50 PM
See you don't know what it actually was, it was not smoke! It was Hydraulic fluid leaking from a spoiler actuator. The temperature difference and the lack of moisture in the air at that altitude means it was condensing and looking way more than it was. It was not smoke so nothing was burning.

Aaaahhh. Now I understand.

Smoke coming from a plane is cause for concern, but leaking hydraulic fluid from a spoiler actuator is perfectly fine?

If it is, you should give Boeing a call - it seems as though they may have a design flaw, with a superfluous spoiler that the aircraft does not require. :mrgreen:

tg01
4th August 2008, 06:54 PM
Grunt, I'm with you 100%. The fact some people on here are on the side of the media and qantas management is disgusting. How much did you guys get, 4%? I certainly would not call that greedy.

No they got more than 4% and were always going to...

The issues with the engineers (and obviously there is one on this forum) was always about giving it to the QANTAS management. Good on them.

Back to the origina question, would I give up free bluetonges....no way!

AndyP
4th August 2008, 09:07 PM
If it is, you should give Boeing a call Yes? How can I help?

Didn't they say that the plane could have kept going without a problem? Most of these things have fallbacks.

Scottt
5th August 2008, 10:15 AM
It was Hydraulic fluid leaking from a spoiler actuator. The temperature difference and the lack of moisture in the air at that altitude means it was condensing and looking way more than it was. It was not smoke so nothing was burning.

This hydraulic fluid, is it part of the engine design for it to piss out at altitude?

Grunt
5th August 2008, 06:42 PM
It was not the engine Scottt. I will tell you again the trail was hydraulic fluid condensing as it leaked from the Spoiler on the upper surface of the wing.
Spoilers for those with little or no aircraft knowledge are the flat panels that pop up off the wing as the aircraft lands to slow it down and dump lift from the wing. They also help the aircraft roll in a turn by reducing the effective lift of the wing to enable a sweeping turn rather than a skidding one. There are 6 on each wing of a 767.

Scottt
5th August 2008, 07:57 PM
My point being that as I sit on my folks' balcony on a Sunday and watch the planes take off over Cronulla, they appear to be missing that white trail.

Now I'm clearly not that knowledgeable (and perhaps surprisingly don't read the Metro papers that often), so maybe the pilot doesn't flick the "eject trail of hydraulic fluid" switch until he hits cruising altitude.

Either way, such a trail regardless of

a) what it is, or
b) what part of the craft it's pissing out of

is going to be a concern to layfolk, and should probably be a concern to Qantas because it's making people not want to fly on their planes, whether the experts say it wasn't dangerous or not.

Management may well be to blame, but when the airline goes belly up and there're thousands of employees on the breadline - no one's really going to be getting much solace from identifying which element of the operation caused it to fail.

Now of course Qantas isn't going to fold this week, this month or probably even this year, but the last month's worth of events haven't painted a very healthy picture.

Grunt
6th August 2008, 05:01 AM
The contrails you see in everyday operations are caused by the condensation of the air flowing over & under the wings being condensed by the heated air coming out of the engines. Air that is maybe -20* C mixed with air of about 450* C coming out of the engines.

Scottt
6th August 2008, 11:26 AM
what's that got to do with the above? :smt102

Alan
12th August 2008, 08:22 PM
I have only ever been in a plane once. Personally will probably not go again. Sure it is alot quicker but then there is a big rush when you get there and carting your luggage around etc.

sms316
13th August 2008, 09:03 AM
Have you been doing your paperwork Grunt?

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24172230-5005941,00.html

Grunt
13th August 2008, 09:12 AM
I don't work on the Maggots (737's) SMS. Only Jumbos & 767's. My paperwork is always done right.

Scottt
13th August 2008, 10:22 AM
I have only ever been in a plane once. Personally will probably not go again. Sure it is alot quicker but then there is a big rush when you get there and carting your luggage around etc.

Is this a gee up?

gazgolf1
14th August 2008, 04:06 PM
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=614447

Grunt
14th August 2008, 04:15 PM
Can tell you the equivalent of the Carby failing is the fault with the NZ aircraft. The defect happened on the flight to Auckland. Jumbos can fly quite well on 2 engines, the reason it did not leave is that the maintenance standards mean it can't leave with out 4 serviceable engines.
The other one with the media getting it way wrong was the Horizontal Stabiliser jackscrew. It was not replaced but lubricated and serviced as part of an on going inspection regime. It was serviceable just before the curfew but the crew were out of hours and had to be replaced and the flight was rescheduled to fly today.
These things have been happening for the entire time I have worked at QANTAS and every other airline does too. This is just a media beat up campaign. Virgins landing incident a few days ago was way more serious and it actually got the appropriate media coverage.

Scottt
14th August 2008, 04:23 PM
Bloody media.

I bet Ben Fordham snuck into the hangar and undid that screw himself...

Grunt
14th August 2008, 04:32 PM
Well there you go Scottt, the said aircraft was never in a hangar, the task was completed on the Engine Run Bay and I know the guy who did the job last night.

Scottt
14th August 2008, 04:37 PM
He undid the screw a month ago. I hear the planes are safe to fly on half their engines with flyid pissing out of the flaps and screws bounding around the belly of the plane, so I dunno why he even bothered :lol:

Grunt
14th August 2008, 04:46 PM
It was not a screw as you know it.

Jarro
14th August 2008, 04:47 PM
I fly Virgin myself ... never had a drama

Moe Norman
14th August 2008, 07:18 PM
this is why payrises aren't linked to performance....

mike
7th April 2010, 12:33 AM
Grunt, can you please get back in the workshop before one of these planes drop out of the sky.

Coffs_Hacker
4th November 2010, 08:59 PM
After todays efforts thought I'd put this one out there again :shock:

AndyP
4th November 2010, 09:08 PM
Our resident aircraft maintenance dude is always telling us that the Airbus planes are the Kia of the airways.

Jarro
4th November 2010, 09:28 PM
And this A-380 is only a couple of years old , our maintenance guys haven't really had a chance to **** it up yet :roll:

Chris32
4th November 2010, 09:56 PM
We have a old guy at work who comes in and polishes the floors and he is ex raaf and flys for the flying dr, also flew for anset. He has a cap that says " if it ain't Boeing, it ain't going" :)

MegaWatty
4th November 2010, 10:01 PM
Errrrrr. Who makes the engine that blew up? I thought I heard Mercedes.

Yossarian
4th November 2010, 10:02 PM
Pretty sure it is Rolls.

henno
4th November 2010, 10:05 PM
Pretty sure it is Rolls.

It is.

MegaWatty
4th November 2010, 10:38 PM
So neither Boeing nor Airbus...

henno
4th November 2010, 10:46 PM
So neither Boeing nor Airbus...

If you bought a Ford XR5 and it blew up while virtually new, would you think it was Ford or Volvo's responsibility to fix it?

;-)

terrys
4th November 2010, 10:50 PM
I don't believe Boeing or Airbus use their own engines in most of the airliners. Think it's mostly Rolls or GE

Cosmopolite
4th November 2010, 10:59 PM
considering I paid for a 2 year Qantas club membership, I guess I will be

MegaWatty
5th November 2010, 12:01 AM
I just got my new Q Tags. I'll be using them asap! Like on Monday.

Jarro
5th November 2010, 07:28 AM
Errrrrr. Who makes the engine that blew up? I thought I heard Mercedes.

Rolls Royce.

Qantas had an option of either Rolls Royce or General Electric.

Singapore Airlines also have Rolls Royce engines on their A-380's

goughy
5th November 2010, 07:57 AM
General Electric.

Make good vacuum cleaners!

AndyP
5th November 2010, 08:00 AM
QANTAS/Airbus will probably move to Soniq engines now.

Jarro
5th November 2010, 08:09 AM
Why ?

AndyP
5th November 2010, 08:12 AM
Cheaper to replace. I think you can get them for $199 at JBs, and it's only $35 for an extended 3 year warranty.

live4golf
5th November 2010, 08:15 AM
I have a trip coming up at the end of November...Sydney to Perth to Hong Kong to Tokyo to Singapore to London to Los Angeles to Miami (via a couple of cities in the US for points) back to Los Angeles (via more cities) and then back to Sydney...QANTAS on 4 of those legs (hopefully no A380) :) Cathay, BA and AA are the other airlines I am flying...should be fun

TheTrueReview
5th November 2010, 10:58 AM
Did you have to pay for them MW?

I'm QC Bronze & I understand we have to pay for ours. With the changes, QC Bronze members have become very 2nd class corporate flyers.

MegaWatty
5th November 2010, 12:01 PM
I'm QC Silver and they just rocked up. Perth is the first to use this whole system though so it might have something to do with that.

Mind you, we also have to put up with a QANTAS Club full of bogans in high vis mining workwear. That's our trade off. ;)

chappy1970
5th November 2010, 12:15 PM
I'd be more than happy to fly QANTAS, who can argue with their flying record.

First really major incident in its history isn't it?

TheTrueReview
5th November 2010, 12:16 PM

Mind you, we also have to put up with a QANTAS Club full of bogans in high vis mining workwear. That's our trade off. ;)

Bogans in high vis gear + free Qantas club alcohol = :roll:

MegaWatty
5th November 2010, 12:17 PM
Bogans in high vis gear + free Qantas club alcohol = Perth :roll:

fixed

WBennett
5th November 2010, 12:48 PM
Bogans in high vis gear = WA :roll:

Fixed again.

IanO
5th November 2010, 01:07 PM
Currently QC Gold with Lifetime QC Silver so I will be using them again ... but wait ... that would be in 2 weeks when I fly to China yet again

MegaWatty
5th November 2010, 01:11 PM
Fixed again.

Too true!

Grunt
5th November 2010, 06:52 PM
I'd be more than happy to fly QANTAS, who can argue with their flying record.

First really major incident in its history isn't it?

Ahh no, but it was certainly very close to a major major incident.

Anyone remember the Concorde? It was due to a tyre rupturing the wing skin and letting fuel leak onto the engine.

Well this event yesterday ruptured the wing fuel tank, it could have been way way worse! I would not be surprised if that particular aircraft involved flew ever again. Wing plank repairs are very very hard to do.

terrys
5th November 2010, 10:05 PM
Heard a report on the radio today, Grunt, and they were saying the plane might be back in service within two weeks. Not true?

rodders
5th November 2010, 10:31 PM
I have a trip coming up at the end of November...Sydney to Perth to Hong Kong to Tokyo to Singapore to London to Los Angeles to Miami (via a couple of cities in the US for points) back to Los Angeles (via more cities) and then back to Sydney...QANTAS on 4 of those legs (hopefully no A380) :) Cathay, BA and AA are the other airlines I am flying...should be fun

I'd be worried about the others not QF.

BA and Cathy had a few fatalities but AA has had plenty.

Actually I wouldnt worry at all. I travel a bit and the reality is other than a few bumps here and there, nothing. More likely to get killed going to the airport. Better stay at home.

TheTrueReview
6th November 2010, 06:33 AM

Actually I wouldnt worry at all. .... More likely to get killed going to the airport. Better stay at home.

No way, most injuries occur around the home. ;)

terrys
6th November 2010, 06:39 AM
another one

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2010/11/06/Another_Qantas_jet_makes_forced_landing_535667.htm l

Grunt
6th November 2010, 06:39 AM
Heard a report on the radio today, Grunt, and they were saying the plane might be back in service within two weeks. Not true?

Pretty extensive damage, I would be very surprised if it was fixed before the New year.

gazgolf1
6th November 2010, 08:45 AM
Pretty extensive damage, I would be very surprised if it was fixed before the New year.

So who are they outsourcing their maintenence to Grunt?

markTHEblake
6th November 2010, 09:12 AM
I'd be worried about the others not QF.

I am more impressed that an engine can blow up on the plane and it still landed safely, then be worried about flying Qantas again.

It will be interesting to see what the investigation reveals, but we should not be crucifying anyone for having a problem, its how they deal with it that they should be measured.

Grunt
6th November 2010, 09:42 AM
So who are they outsourcing their maintenence to Grunt?

A380 Heavy Maintenance is outsourced to Lufthansa
We no longer do any engine overhaul in Australia, 747 & 767 Engines are done in Hong Kong not sure where A380 Engines are done.

markTHEblake
6th November 2010, 10:55 AM
So what do you do now Grunt - repair the seat upholstery? :-)

Grunt
6th November 2010, 02:11 PM
So what do you do now Grunt - repair the seat upholstery? :-)

I still work on the 747/767 & A330's. This accident may even see QF buy the B747-8 & B777's and get real airplanes again.

terrys
6th November 2010, 05:12 PM

how good a job did the pilots do. It can't have been easy getting it back safely with all that damage.

That is why I'll still fly Qantas.

Jarro
7th November 2010, 06:20 AM
This poor bugger is destined to stay in Singapore :roll:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/richard-de-crespigny-qantass-captain-marvel/story-e6frfq80-1225948836103

Grunt
11th November 2010, 11:46 AM
An update for you all in regards to the A380, QANTAS will not operate the A380 for any flights for the next week at least.

Here is the latest alert from EASA (the European Safety Regulator)

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/airworth/airwd/adfiles/turbine/rb211/2010-0236-e.pdf

The aircraft involved in particular is getting more and more likely that it will never fly again! Wing is damaged and due to the Horizontal stabiliser fuel tanks had 20 Ton of fuel in them on landing that structure is damaged too.

macjackass
11th November 2010, 11:53 AM
An update for you all in regards to the A380, QANTAS will not operate the A380 for any flights for the next week at least.

Here is the latest alert from EASA (the European Safety Regulator)

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/airworth/airwd/adfiles/turbine/rb211/2010-0236-e.pdf

The aircraft involved in particular is getting more and more likely that it will never fly again! Wing is damaged and due to the Horizontal stabiliser fuel tanks had 20 Ton of fuel in them on landing that structure is damaged too.

Crap! Someone is going to take a huge hit if that is the case!

AndyP
11th November 2010, 12:26 PM
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going. ;)

Grunt
11th November 2010, 12:33 PM

I like your thoughts.

AndyP
11th November 2010, 12:34 PM
I like you thoughts.Gay!

Grunt
11th November 2010, 12:35 PM
Gay!

Will be fixed soon

just
11th November 2010, 01:03 PM

This is gay too.

MegaWatty
16th November 2010, 01:49 AM
After our disaster due to the Sydney storms last week, we received a letter from QANTAS today along with a $500 gift voucher.

We were one the people that didn't complain and understood that a lot of what happened was out of their control.

After this un-prompted show of customer service, I will struggle to book a domestic flight with any other company.

http://tapa.tk/mu/792de6fb-48bb-2162.jpg

Grunt
16th November 2010, 07:00 AM
Looks like the Customer Care Management are actually doing as their job suggests. Only problem will be that passengers will start expecting compensation for even trivial delays.

MegaWatty
16th November 2010, 10:04 AM
Looks like the Customer Care Management are actually doing as their job suggests. Only problem will be that passengers will start expecting compensation for even trivial delays.

There was one wanker that thought he was owed the world. He called customer care numerous times and was just being un-reasonable. I wonder what he ended up with. Hopefully a punch in the face.

Jake
16th November 2010, 12:06 PM
Were you in a business/first class seat MW?

MegaWatty
16th November 2010, 12:28 PM
Were you in a business/first class seat MW?

Nope. 3 economy seats and an infant ticket. In fact 2 of the seats were paid through FF points.

sms316
16th November 2010, 12:39 PM

Any of these planes that have had issues been ones which you have worked on Grunt?

Jake
16th November 2010, 01:08 PM
Noice. They've just gone up a small notch in my book, then.

Grunt
16th November 2010, 01:50 PM
Any of these planes that have had issues been ones which you have worked on Grunt? In the past few weeks I would say no, but have I ever worked on them? Yes every single one of them over the last 22 years except the A380's. :)
I was asked to fly over to Perth to carry out the engine change over there last weekend but due to a TAFE assessment due today I knocked it back.

gazgolf1
16th November 2010, 07:42 PM
and again.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/travel-news/jetstar-flight-forced-to-turn-around-midair-20101116-17vrp.html

Grunt
16th November 2010, 08:02 PM
Gaz & others

Just so you all know Jetstar has decided to source it own maintenance for al its aircraft. QANTAS doe not perform any maintenance on Jetstar aircraft since the 26th October

gazgolf1
16th November 2010, 10:22 PM
Gaz & others

Just so you all know Jetstar has decided to source it own maintenance for al its aircraft. QANTAS doe not perform any maintenance on Jetstar aircraft since the 26th October

Any idea who Jetstar chose Grunt?, dodgy brothers plane maintenence?

Grunt
16th November 2010, 10:54 PM
John Holland and their own set up. They thought they could do it cheaper is what our bosses told us. They are now seen as our cash cow when they need anything. We are charging casual rates for all they ask for, even parking spots in Sydney. Just shows how bad QANTAS has got we ate trying to make money of part of our own company.

Grunt
18th November 2010, 03:50 PM
Just to show how the media is selectively reporting QANTAS issues. Here is a snapshot of the AvHerald incidents

The current incident page on AvHerald. Incidents happen to everyone. Only one airline gets reported in Australia however.

Wednesday Nov 17th 2010Jetblue E190 near Boston on Nov 17th 2010, flaps problem (http://avherald.com/h?article=4338e70b&opt=1)

Tuesday Nov 16th 2010Skywest CRJ2 at Salt Lake City on Nov 16th 2010, flock of birds (http://avherald.com/h?article=4338df2c&opt=1)
Brussels Airlines RJ1H at Gothenburg on Nov 16th 2010, flaps problem (http://avherald.com/h?article=4338a9c5&opt=1)
Qantas B744 at Johannesburg on Nov 16th 2010, bird strike (http://avherald.com/h?article=4338a228&opt=1)
Cobham B712 at Alice Springs on Nov 16th 2010, lightning strike (http://avherald.com/h?article=4338371f&opt=1)
Jetstar A320 at Brisbane on Nov 16th 2010, hydraulic leak (http://avherald.com/h?article=43383550&opt=1)
Lufthansa Cityline E190 at Florence on Nov 16th 2010, flock of birds (http://avherald.com/h?article=43382f53&opt=1)

Monday Nov 15th 2010
Compass E170 at Minneapolis on Nov 15th 2010, bird strike (http://avherald.com/h?article=4338e3ca&opt=1)
Continental B772 near Boston on Nov 15th 2010, medical emergency (http://avherald.com/h?article=43386f51&opt=1)
First Air B732 near Inuvik on Nov 15th 2010, engine shut down in flight (http://avherald.com/h?article=43386010&opt=1)
Gazpromavia YK42 at Novy Urengoy on Nov 15th 2010, runway excursion (http://avherald.com/h?article=43381da6&opt=1)
Ryanair B738 near Madrid on Nov 15th 2010, engine shut down in flight (http://avherald.com/h?article=433809c4&opt=1)
American B763 near Santiago de Compostela on Nov 15th 2010, unruly passenger (http://avherald.com/h?article=43379485&opt=1)Kingfisher A321 at Delhi on Nov 15th 2010, bird strike (http://avherald.com/h?article=43376c81&opt=1)
Qantas B744 near Sydney on Nov 15th 2010, smoke in cockpit (http://avherald.com/h?article=433754ca&opt=1)

Saturday Nov 13th 2010
British Airways B744 at Vancouver on Nov 13th 2010, engine shut down in flight (http://avherald.com/h?article=43363a6b&opt=1)

Friday Nov 12th 2010Air North B732 at Whitehorse on Nov 12th 2010, rejected takeoff (http://avherald.com/h?article=433863ae&opt=1)
American B738 near Washington on Nov 12th 2010, cargo fire indication (http://avherald.com/h?article=433792da&opt=1)
Air Mauritius AT72 near Mauritius on Nov 12th 2010, engine shut down in flight (http://avherald.com/h?article=433624b7&opt=1)
United Airlines B772 near Keflavik on Nov 12th 2010, medical emergency (http://avherald.com/h?article=43361e7e&opt=1)
Vueling A320 near Barcelona on Nov 12th 2010, hydraulic leak (http://avherald.com/h?article=4335cd43&opt=1)
Qantas B763 near Perth on Nov 12th 2010, engine trouble (http://avherald.com/h?article=4335a2f4&opt=1)
Tulpar YK42 near Kazan on Nov 12th 2010, engine shut down in flight (http://avherald.com/h?article=4335a0e3&opt=1)
SAS MD82 near Stockholm on Nov 12th 2010, engine shut down in flight (http://avherald.com/h?article=43359779&opt=1)
Iberia A343 near Belo Horizonte on Nov 12th 2010, weather radar failure (http://avherald.com/h?article=43358d5c&opt=1)

Thursday Nov 11th 2010
EASA issues Emergency Airworthiness Directive for Rolls Royce Trent 900 engines (http://avherald.com/h?article=4334d274&opt=1)
US Airways A320 at Philadelphia on Nov 11th 2010, bird strike (http://avherald.com/h?article=4335ad01&opt=1)
Royal Air Maroc A321 near Barcelona on Nov 11th 2010, medical emergency (http://avherald.com/h?article=4335a794&opt=1)
SAA B738 near Cape Town on Nov 11th 2010, medical emergency (http://avherald.com/h?article=433577b2&opt=1)
Aeroflot B763 at Goa on Nov 11th 2010, rejected takeoff due to flock of birds (http://avherald.com/h?article=43357026&opt=1)
Tarco Airlines AN24 at Zalingei on Nov 11th 2010, burst tyres on landing, broke up and burst into flames (http://avherald.com/h?article=433515e2&opt=1)

Wednesday Nov 10th 2010
Aegean A320 at Milan on Nov 10th 2010, brakes fault message (http://avherald.com/h?article=43359be8&opt=1)
Air India A313 near Thiruvananthapuram on Nov 10th 2010, unsafe gear after departure (http://avherald.com/h?article=43357440&opt=1)
American B763 near Santiago on Nov 10th 2010, hydraulic failure (http://avherald.com/h?article=4334fefa&opt=1)
Kuwait A306 near Kuwait on Nov 10th 2010, smoke in cabin (http://avherald.com/h?article=43348d8a&opt=1)
VarigLog B752 at Manaus on Nov 10th 2010, deflated two main tyres (http://avherald.com/h?article=43347041&opt=1)
Delta Airlines MD88 at Hartford on Nov 10th 2010, rejected takeoff (http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X487496&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Favherald.com%2Fh%3Farticle%3D4334 5cc0%26opt%3D1&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Fdg-p-reporting-points%2F433807-qf17-argentina-turnback-3.html%23post6068041)
Jetlite B738 near Kolkata on Nov 10th 2010, engine trouble (http://avherald.com/h?article=43344d44&opt=1)

Tuesday Nov 9th 2010
First Air AT42 near Iqaluit on Nov 9th 2010, engine shut down in flight (http://avherald.com/h?article=43361cb5&opt=1)
Aegean A320 at Athens on Nov 9th 2010, hydraulic leak (http://avherald.com/h?article=43359aa0&opt=1)
Jazz CRJ1 near Washington on Nov 9th 2010, odour in cabin (http://avherald.com/h?article=4333c185&opt=1)

Monday Nov 8th 2010
Singapore B773 at Houston on Nov 8th 2010, unsafe gear after departure (http://avherald.com/h?article=433490ed&opt=1)
Cayman B733 at Tampa on Nov 8th 2010, bird strike (http://avherald.com/h?article=4333a001&opt=1)
Horizon DH8D at Los Angeles on Nov 8th 2010, bird strike (http://avherald.com/h?article=43339051&opt=1)

Sunday Nov 7th 2010
Delta Airlines MD88 near Nashville on Nov 7th 2010, engine problem (http://avherald.com/h?article=43332c23&opt=1)
ANA B763 near Osaka on Nov 7th 2010, smoke in cockpit (http://avherald.com/h?article=43330331&opt=1)
Delta Airlines B764 at Atlanta on Nov 7th 2010, flaps problem after takeoff (http://avherald.com/h?article=4332ddd3&opt=1)
KLM Cityhopper F70 at Birmingham on Nov 7th 2010, bird strike (http://avherald.com/h?article=4332742a&opt=1)

The above is all over the world

goughy
18th November 2010, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't worry bout us Grunt. Most of us would know it's all just hype. Problems or not, I'd fly with the company that hasn't managed to crash yet. Think that's worth something.

BrisVegas
18th November 2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the links grunter. Reassuring to know that planes are having problems all over the place.

hmm wonder if I'll get a big red rat flight to Texas next month... Work is paying, so you never know... It took me a while to find my frequent flier card, I haven't used them since 2002! I've flown Virgin and Jetstar ever since then.

Grunt
18th November 2010, 04:45 PM
Only to LA San Fran or NY with QF Dion, Have to find an American Airlines flight the rest of the way.

sms316
23rd November 2010, 09:28 AM
Question for Grunt, or anyone else who might know....

The bride and I were watching one of those Air Crash Investigation shows last night where a Air Canada plane ran out of fuel and made a landing of sorts on a dragway strip. Anyway, the question is this: how do they transport the plane back to wherever they do the repairs? The plane in question was obviously not a write-off, but needed repairs to the landing gear and nose. Do they pull it apart into sections and then truck it out?

gazgolf1
28th November 2010, 08:48 AM
http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/grounded-jet-mars-return-of-airbus-a380/story-e6frfq80-1225962092705

MegaWatty
20th March 2011, 09:17 PM
Had issues out of Perth and now our flight from Brisbane to Sydney has been cancelled.

sms316
14th June 2012, 06:57 PM
I feel really dirty about doing this but major kudos to QANTAS this morning. We got stuck in traffic on the Gateway at 5:15am (seriously??) and arrived 20 minutes before Mel & bub were due to take off to Canberra which meant she was 10 mins beyond the cut off. They arranged for a new flight via Sydney at no charge. Major kudos. We really expected to get stung for a new fare.

Puji
19th June 2012, 09:19 PM
a member of my family works for Qantas so I get cheap fares.

Just flew to Narita, Tokyo return business class. $500. love it.

Grunt
22nd November 2012, 07:38 PM
Will I fly QANTAS now that I am coming to the end of my career with them? Hmm, probably not as I will be like the many that need to access the value for money that has seen other airlines get Qantas' share.

I will still have Staff travel privledges for a time equal to my employment with them so another 23 years. Will I sue them? Not sure, My on-load category will e somewhere between Pilots dog and his cat. Might use it for Champs trip or the like.

sms316
11th January 2013, 09:28 AM
Snakes on a plane. QANTAS style.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vdnur5.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/e19j4z.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/vyv9k0.jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/seriously-snakes-on-a-plane/story-e6freuy9-1226551430989

Dotty
11th January 2013, 09:32 AM
Grunt would have found that before take-off.

LoveGolf2012
11th January 2013, 10:05 AM
I go to the USA every year for holidays.I was always a QANTAS flyer but you cannot beat Virgin Australia Melbourne-LA....best airline by a mile..and chicks are sexy to

Grunt
11th January 2013, 10:09 PM
First flight as a non employee on Monday to Perth. Will be different.

timah!
11th January 2013, 10:20 PM
Work has officially changed to Virgin as our preferred airline. Happy days.

Jarro
12th January 2013, 06:34 AM
I'll fly Qantas, as long as our staff discounts apply.

BrettM
13th January 2013, 07:01 AM
I go to the USA every year for holidays.I was always a QANTAS flyer but you cannot beat Virgin Australia Melbourne-LA....best airline by a mile..and chicks are sexy to

I'm trying them for the first time in 3 weeks to San Diego.

live4golf
22nd January 2013, 08:41 PM
Went to book my bride on a flight with me using points to Singapore, all good until I go to use points for tickets and there is a $350 charge plus taxes and I can't use points to pay for this. I don't recall the $350 fee, and I am certain when I booked her to go to Tokyo I used points. I have done a bit of a search and can't find anything about this change. Am I dreaming about this or has something changed? - this is really devaluing FF points.

ANyone here have some info on this?

Cheers.

Grunt
22nd January 2013, 08:49 PM
Just the taxes that were always there are no longer available to be included as FF freebies. Think it may have something to do with QANTAS getting busted for not collecting GST or more to the point collecting it and not handing it to the government. All those taxes have been on staff fares for quite some time.

live4golf
22nd January 2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks Grunt
Sent from my W8 mobile device.

Dazza
29th January 2013, 08:56 PM
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/01/29/374479_news.html

highballin
11th July 2014, 08:31 PM
Well about 3hours ago I would say I would never fly with Qantas again after they good us we now have to return home to adelaide through Brisbane. Not that brissie is a problem but we now get home an hour later and gad to leave an hour earlier from Changi airport.

However 3hours in the Qantas lounge and I am softening on this stance. Couple of beers and cocktails then into bourbon and cokes.
I get home when I get home what's the big deal anyway.