PDA

View Full Version : Best Pram?

gazgolf1
26th July 2008, 01:35 PM
Jeez its hard to pick a pram :smt087, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, jogging prams and the names....who thought up the name Bugaboo? and who gave them the stones to charge $1400 for a friggin pram? :smt018
We are looking at 4 wheelers with reversible handlebars but we are open to advice.

Anyway what have all the parents got and do Callaway make a pram?

Grunt
26th July 2008, 01:47 PM
We had a Steelcraft Acclaim. Was great, not too big and was convertible too. It went from a pram to a largish stroller once Tayla got bigger.

gazgolf1
26th July 2008, 02:02 PM
We had a Steelcraft Acclaim. Was great, not too big and was convertible too. It went from a pram to a largish stroller once Tayla got bigger.

Grunt I've heard the Steelcrafts have dodgy wheels,any dramas?

Jarro
26th July 2008, 02:04 PM
Definitely go for the Tour/TP range Gaz, they're for the lower handicap parents :)

BrisVegas
26th July 2008, 02:05 PM
With our first we used a 4 wheeler with the reversable handlebars so the kid can lay flat and go backwards. It was pretty good, albeit very large.

Babies quickly grow out of that style of prams though. The lightweight "umbrella" style strollers are better for shopping centres and packing in the car. Ours is a McLaren brand and it's very good. http://www.pramwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?pID=15090&cID=19

A good option is a 3 wheeler "jogger style" pram that folds flat. We've got a very good one with two seats as well, for neighbourhood walks etc.. The extra seat detaches so it becomes a normal 3-wheeler pram as required. It's a Phil&Ted's Sport brand. You see lots of these around and they're well regarded as an affordable, but good quality pram...
http://www.pramwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?pID=5969&cID=21

Good luck. We went through a couple of crappy prams before we settled on the two we own now. There's a bit of trial and error involved.

Also consider a Baby Bjorn carrier. They're bloody fantastic. They're good for up to about 12 months old bubs and are really quite comfy for both parent and baby. We take ours with us everywhere as a tired baby will sleep quite happily when in the bjorn. http://www.pramwarehouse.com.au/categories.asp?cID=109

gazgolf1
26th July 2008, 02:06 PM
Definitely go for the Tour/TP range Gaz, they're for the lower handicap parents :)

How do I tell the difference?....T serial numbers? ;)

gazgolf1
26th July 2008, 02:07 PM
Also consider a Baby Bjorn carrier. They're bloody fantastic. They're good for up to about 12 months old bubs and are really quite comfy for both parent and baby. We take ours with us everywhere as a tired baby will sleep quite happily when in the bjorn. http://www.pramwarehouse.com.au/categories.asp?cID=109

Its on the list Dion. :)

Grunt
26th July 2008, 02:41 PM
No dramas with wheels at all.

Also had a light stroller for a good while. Just noticed it is still in the garage.

goughy
26th July 2008, 02:41 PM
Babyco had a good selection. If you're gonna do any amount of walking then consider one with pneumatic tyres, even the 4 wheelers. Will make it easier. You'll get plenty of years out of it, we still had kyan in his at seaworld last year. We did buy a cheap stroller as well for when he was old enough for it. Just when going on trips etc it took up less room. I think Rob flew to sydney with jas and the stroller when she was 18months. Much easier on her than the pram.

We have one of those baby bjorn carriers around here somewhere! In fact, we have tons of stuff to get rid of and haven't bothered yet. A change table rob's dad made that is higher and larger than normal - great since Rob is the same height as me. Also a decent high chair - one of the pege perego things - the prima papa or something.

If you're at all interested in any 2nd hand stuff (or anyone else) let me know. We won't be using it anymore (hopefully ;).

And have you checked out choice.com.au gaz!
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=101747&catId=100511&tid=100008&p=1&title=Baby+safety+-+a+shopping+guide
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=105330&catId=100510&tid=100008&p=1&title=Test%3a+Double+strollers
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=104696&catId=100510&tid=100008&p=1&title=Strollers%3a+prams%2c+3+%26+4-wheel+reviews

Grunt
26th July 2008, 02:44 PM
Have the Choice guide to Baby Products 2001 Edition, if you want it?

gazgolf1
26th July 2008, 03:37 PM
We have one of those baby bjorn carriers around here somewhere!

I'm interested Dean,what kind of nick is it in?

gazgolf1
26th July 2008, 03:38 PM
Have the Choice guide to Baby Products 2001 Edition, if you want it?

Thanks anyway,2001 might be a bit old now.

just
26th July 2008, 04:40 PM
Go the Bugaboo, it's tour quality! You know you want to!

goughy
26th July 2008, 05:28 PM
I'm interested Dean,what kind of nick is it in?

A run through the washing machine and it should be fine. We actually never really used it at all and I think it's in storage at the container at my shop. I'll dig around.

PeteyD
26th July 2008, 05:48 PM
Definately get pnuematic tyres, and a 4 wheel reversible. As Dion says, they grow out of em pretty quick, but with the amount of crap you have to cart around with a young baby you need a big one.

goughy
26th July 2008, 06:26 PM
You'll get 3+ years out of it easy!

markTHEblake
26th July 2008, 06:29 PM
yeah before you know it Gaz, you will have two of em before you can think of a way of stopping it.

v205
26th July 2008, 06:39 PM
McLeron strollers are a must for shopping centres. Those 3 wheelers and rugged stuff are bigger and are really more suited for outdoors. Depends on what you need.

chappy1970
26th July 2008, 07:09 PM
Valco best hands down

moree golfer
26th July 2008, 08:31 PM
We have a Valco 3 wheeler and my wife tells me it's the schiznitz for walking esp the pneumatic tyres. She bought a clear plastic cover which goes over the pram to keep wind and rain off our urchin. I love the cover as can walk down to the park with our little girl tucked up in the pram and hit balls while giving mum a break. Win-win for everyone!!

Also have a Steelcraft 4 wheeler we were given and although the frame is a little plasticy the wheels haven't been a problem yet.

oscar
26th July 2008, 09:06 PM
We got a Mountain Buggy 3 wheeler, rated well in the "choice" list.

One thing I made sure of before we bought anything was the better half could fold it easily, fair dinkum, to fold some prams is almost a two person job.

Its light weight for a 3 wheeler, not cheap (around $700) but has lasted almost three years so far with no signs of trouble.

Can highlly recommend.

PeteyD
26th July 2008, 09:55 PM
Yea you want to be sure you can fold it, and that each of you can lift it into the boot when folded.

BrisWesty
26th July 2008, 11:09 PM
Just ensure it doesn't have "no warranty" or any similar stampings on it. ;-)

Moe Norman
26th July 2008, 11:42 PM
Our was a JEEP that I paid through the nose for, obviously people like them cause it got stolen!

I replaced it with a Beema branded one that is pretty good, but then I just bought another one that has a second seat for a toddler so we can use the same one for both the new arrival and the 2 year old.

When Charlotte was old enough, I just bought a cheap stroller for trips to the shops, much lighter and smaller for the mrs to lug about

Fishman Dan
27th July 2008, 08:57 AM
We got a hand-me-down Steelcraft, that's super easy to fold down (takes about 1.5 seconds) and can be strolled in either direction with a quick and easy adjustment. It has storage all over the place too. Very light and easy to quickly load into the back of the 4WD.

Not sure what they cost new but we're very happy with it.

Tones
27th July 2008, 09:05 AM
We had a Jeep 3 wheeler for our first daughter which was great. Got rid of it before the youngest was born, then ended up buying an elcheapo one off the net.........NOT RECOMMENDED. Spend some $$ and get a good quality pram from a baby store.

virge666
27th July 2008, 04:27 PM
We got a Mountain Buggy 3 wheeler, rated well in the "choice" list.

One thing I made sure of before we bought anything was the better half could fold it easily, fair dinkum, to fold some prams is almost a two person job.

Its light weight for a 3 wheeler, not cheap (around $700) but has lasted almost three years so far with no signs of trouble.

Can highlly recommend.

Same hear bought mine new on EBay for $595. Might have had "NO WRRNTY" on the side though next to the wheel.

BTW - What is the difference between a Pram and a Stroller

goughy
27th July 2008, 04:55 PM
Strollers are usually small and light weight and pretty cheap. They usually take up a lot less room. Prams are what you see people pushing around New Farm. Strollers are what you see in Inalla! Also, strollers usually don't take baby's, at least not until they can support their heads.

We have both, used the pram around town etc and on day trips away but when we had the car packed for holidays we took the stroller to save room.

shavey
27th July 2008, 08:11 PM
Gaz, we have a Babyco Beema and it works great. And wasn't too much like some of the fandangled ones out there!

Jump onto www.bubhub.com.au and check out some reviews.

gazgolf1
11th August 2008, 05:31 PM
Back on this again,has anybody had or knows anyone who bought a Steelcraft Strider?

http://www.babycarenursery.com.au/Product_Detail.asp?ProductID=208&ProductGroupID=2

Looks like the leading contender at the moment.

Jarro
11th August 2008, 05:36 PM
looks pretty sweet gaz 8)

Do bagboy make a baby stroller ?

just
11th August 2008, 05:41 PM
Looks like a Bugaboo clone, next you will be playing with clone clubs!:)
Looks good Gaz, and a nice price too.

Jarro
11th August 2008, 05:43 PM
Who else thinks the new gaz offspring will be the most spoiled kid on the planet ?

gazgolf1
11th August 2008, 05:48 PM
Looks like a Bugaboo clone, next you will be playing with clone clubs!:)

Wash your mouth out Just. :)

Rusty
12th August 2008, 05:51 PM
gees Gaz as you'll be buying a bit of baby stuff, might be time to have a look here as well
http://www.choice.com.au/categoryPage.aspx?id=103752&p=1&catId=100507

good luck.