PDA

View Full Version : To tip stiff or not to tip stiff.

markTHEblake
23rd July 2008, 11:18 PM
I am a couple of days away from buying some new iron shafts. The ones I have were fitted to me 9.5 years ago, and I think I might need something a bit girly ,as i am probably a little older than i was.

I could go and try a bunch of different shafts somewhere, but I don't really have the patience and Virge knocked me back anyway. I will probably end up going to GCI, but interested to hear some learned opinions, and endure the rest.

My concern is that if I weaken any aspect of my shaft spec - that might only have negative effects.

My current fitting of Rifle Lite 6.5, High Bend, Firm Tip, 5i 121grams 38.25", and D5 was based on;
Swing Speed 5i of 93mph (rssr 88mph), and the want of hitting lower with accuracy.

My swing path is a very consistent In to Out 4deg. My bad shots are bleeding obvious, a huge block or a hook - with long irons usually a fat hook (drop kick) not helped much by my tendency to flip.

I also tend to hit many thin shots - although effective. Thats something I am very keen to eliminate - cos it hurts in the winter. I would also like to get a bit of height back.

Going to a slightly softer shaft is a no brainer, but almost everything I look at is a medium tip. My concern is a softer tip could accentuate my hook.

kwantfm
24th July 2008, 07:52 AM
You should try the Nippon 1150 GH Tour. Great feeling shaft... a little lighter than the S300s that I usually play. Good solid tip (more so than the other Nippon steels). Plays slightly soft to flex compared to DG. They'll have them at GCI for you to try.

BrisVegas
24th July 2008, 09:35 AM
IMy current fitting of Rifle Lite 6.5, High Bend, Firm Tip, 5i 121grams 38.25", and D5 was based on;
Swing Speed 5i of 93mph (rssr 88mph), and the want of hitting lower with accuracy.

Do you still swing 5 iron at 93mph? 6.5 Rifles are pretty friggin stiff. poidda had 6.5's in his last set and was struggling with them and he swings in the mid-90's.

I think you need to go back to GCI and get them to take a decent look at your swing speed, tempo and loading etc... 9 years is a long time to go between fittings.

It's only $50 :wink: (I just realised who I'm talking to here... :roll:)

3oneday
24th July 2008, 09:47 AM
Well, one doesn't complement the other.

You wouldn't be getting much feel with the shafts ? I tried X100 in a set a while ago, they were damned hard to hit 100 practice balls with but I could still hook them easily.

Why don't you get a couple of 6 irons made up, say with Rifle 6.0 and get one a couple of degrees flatter than usual ? Just a thought.

virge666
24th July 2008, 10:03 AM
Going to a slightly softer shaft is a no brainer, but almost everything I look at is a medium tip. My concern is a softer tip could accentuate my hook.

I think lighter would be a good start... so Project X flighted would also be good option @ 110g

SupaLites at X Flex... or S300 if you play in the morning...

Softer tip will NOT accentuate the hook or block... just make the hands hurt less.

:)

markTHEblake
24th July 2008, 10:04 AM
Do you still swing 5 iron at 93mph? 6.5 Rifles are pretty friggin stiff. yes I know. Thats because I wanted to hit it lower and straighter.

i have had my swing speed tested many times over the years since, at GCI and several other places - its either the same or a fraction faster.

In any case like I said, I am most probably going back there anyway, am somewhat interested in a MOI set, but thats another story. There is so much more to fitting than using Speed to Stiffness table, and thats what I am interested in. Nothing wrong with a bit of self assessment, it makes their recommendations easier to understand.

It's only $50 Only for you tyrekickers, not me.

I am mainly interested in the impact of a softer tip. The Tip stiffness effects the ability of the golfer to return the clubface to square. If you are a gay fader you might want a soft tip for example. I am wondering if I go to a medium tip, that might make me hit bigger hooks, OR it might make me self correct and straighten me up a bit.

There is at least one person here who can answer that question with some degree of expereince. ;-)

markTHEblake
24th July 2008, 10:15 AM
You wouldn't be getting much feel with the shafts ?

When I first got them, they felt magnificent, and were so easy to hit. Apart from about 5 hits with some crappy clubs at a demo day, i have never hit anything else since. So I wouldnt know how to compare feel. I dont have any issues with hitting these clubs when playing well (or practising) but we all know that isnt often for most golfers.

Why don't you get a couple of 6 irons made up, say with Rifle 6.0 and get one a couple of degrees flatter than usual ? Just a thought.

Good idea, but they would probably sit in the cupboard for 6 months while I think about it.

Softer tip will NOT accentuate the hook or block... just make the hands hurt less.

Thanks, Thats a very interesting comment - been playing at 7am for a few weeks now, and those early morning stingers are a killer - the top of the right ring finger is numb for about 2 holes.

virge666
24th July 2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks, Thats a very interesting comment - been playing at 7am for a few weeks now, and those early morning stingers are a killer - the top of the right ring finger is numb for about 2 holes.

Yeah - I know a lot of pro's who took their clubs into the room to stop the sore hands on early starts.. cold steel CPM's a lot stiffer that warm ones.

Softer tip just adds a bit more spin and a ever so slightly higher launch. It ain't going to open or close the clubface on you

BrisVegas
7th October 2008, 04:24 PM
found this interesting comparison between DG & Project X....

http://www.fittingworks.com/TechnologyProcess/FittingResearch/Fitters%27Forum/ForumDiscussionwithTrueTemperSports.aspx

& part 2..
http://www.fittingworks.com/TechnologyProcess/FittingResearch/Fitters%27Forum/ForumDiscussionwithTrueTemperSports(Part2).aspx

Boonie
7th October 2008, 07:02 PM
With that swing speed, and a tendency to hit it thin, I wouldn't go lighter if I were you.

I would go with a bit of extra weight if anything and get the flex right. S300's sound perfect