PDA

View Full Version : hitting ball 2 high with 8.5* driver shaft options?

oncewasagolfer
22nd July 2008, 12:24 PM
hey all I have a cleveland launcher 460 fitted with a grafalloy prolaunch blue (stiff) shaft. from what I have read on the web this shaft has a low kickpoint and therefore promotes a higher launch angle. I really like this shaft but even with the 8.5* most of the time I hit the ball way too high and therefore dont get much run. would the grafalloy blue be a better option and is it possible to replace the shaft myself without damaging the original or am I better getting a professional to do it? Also where would be the cheapest place to purchase a replacement shaft? thanks:)

Jarro
22nd July 2008, 12:27 PM
Get a pro to do the reshaft ... always !!

A Graf Blue will lower the launch quite a bit too i'd expect

3oneday
22nd July 2008, 12:28 PM
Graf blue would be a better option.

As for replacing it, without the correct tools you may sacrifice the shaft, the grip and your sanity trying :lol:

oncewasagolfer
22nd July 2008, 12:39 PM
ok thanks guys:) what sort of money am I looking at for the shaft and the fitting if I went to somewhere like drummonds? If it would cost too much a better option might be to keep an eye out on ebay and wait for one to turn up with the shaft and maybe 9.5*.

3oneday
22nd July 2008, 12:40 PM
Didn't someone just say they were fitting VS Proto 60's for $120 ? That'd be a good shaft to try as well ;)

oncewasagolfer
22nd July 2008, 12:50 PM
I have a Callaway FT-3 Big Bertha Fusion Tour 9.5 fade bias Aldila NVS 65-s 350 which I sold on ebay but never got the payment for hense my love of ebay. Anyway I hit this a lot flatter but the fade bias didnt work out for me as I thought it might, is the nvs 65-s a mid kickpoint shaft and a good one to put in my launcher?

3oneday
22nd July 2008, 01:12 PM
an NVS is the Aldila version of the ProLaunch.

By the way, it'd take a fair clubmaker to get that shaft out of the composite head without destroying one or the other ;)

singleoneday
22nd July 2008, 01:37 PM
if you think you hit this driver too high, then go and watch the pros hit and then you will change your mind.
As regards to shafts, they will only change your trajectory very minimal. If you still think you hit it too high, you should change the head. Bridgestone j33r, cleveland hibores drivers in the lowest lofts would be a good go.

3oneday
22nd July 2008, 01:44 PM
Snappy reply ;)

:lol:

BrisVegas
22nd July 2008, 02:25 PM
buy a deep face, high COG driver, as mentioned already. if that doesn't help, then go talk to virge666 about how to stop flipping!

Captain Nemo
22nd July 2008, 03:49 PM
Try an Accuflex Icon, hard to come by in oz, but relatively cheap now in the US.
Pete, that was me, ALDILA VS PROTO $120 fitted at Carnegie Clarke, Tempe.

oncewasagolfer
22nd July 2008, 04:00 PM
an NVS is the Aldila version of the ProLaunch.

By the way, it'd take a fair clubmaker to get that shaft out of the composite head without destroying one or the other ;)

nah its not the comp head but the full ti version. I had a hibore driver b4 this one with the same shaft and loft but it looked a bit closed at address which I didnt like cant remember if I hit it as high. just missed out on a hibore xl on ebay the other week which went cheap as chips.

3oneday
22nd July 2008, 05:04 PM
I have a Callaway FT-3 Big Bertha Fusion Tour 9.5

nah its not the comp head but the full ti version.
from dhgate ?

oncewasagolfer
22nd July 2008, 05:31 PM
from dhgate ?

I thought u were talking about the launcher:?

virge666
22nd July 2008, 06:15 PM
GDay mate,

If you want an honest reply - changing shaft will do little. 1 deg either way on launch angle

If you are hitting an 8.5 too high and your swing speed is sub 110mph - your hands are behind the ball at impact.. The only real way to fix the high ball flight is to adjust the swing a touch.

Stiffer and heavier shafts will kill your distance, and that doesn't help anyone !

How far do you hit the driver and how far do you hit your 4 iron ?

oncewasagolfer
22nd July 2008, 07:06 PM
hi virge666! I hit my driver roughly 250m and my 4 iron roughly 180m. I dont have any way of saying for sure but that is what I have observed on the golf course dont have any fancy launch monitors or whatever u call them hehe.

markTHEblake
22nd July 2008, 07:17 PM
I really like this shaft but even with the 8.5* most of the time I hit the ball way too high and therefore dont get much run.

If you hit the ball lower you will have less carry, maybe overall you will end up hitting it shorter. Have you verified what is your optimum ball flight for your distance yet?

IMHO its a fallacy that a Low drivers goes further if the fairways are dry, well i got news for everyone, so do high drives.

oncewasagolfer
22nd July 2008, 07:25 PM
without sounding too naive how do I verify my optimum ball flight?

virge666
23rd July 2008, 01:24 PM
without sounding too naive how do I verify my optimum ball flight?

You need to work out your BALL SPEED !

Then you can work out your launch angle...