PDA

View Full Version : Baby capsules rent or buy?

gazgolf1
22nd July 2008, 08:52 AM
Has anyone rented a baby capsule from the Qld ambulance?
Apparently they fit them to your car and when the baby gets too big you take it straight back....what will they think of next?
But seriously I thought I would have to buy a capsule and then Ebay it. (i'm new at this can you tell?)

Jarro
22nd July 2008, 08:54 AM
A mate of mine got one from the QA and it was perfect, fitted as per law requirements.

We however bought a new one (we knew we'd have another bub) and it was great.

Good luck.

Julie
22nd July 2008, 08:55 AM
Go the Qld ambulance way.
I did, (a few years ago now) it is fantastic.

andylo
22nd July 2008, 08:56 AM
We looked at the both options but at the end even my bean counter wife agree to buy a brand new one.

I don't think a brand new one would be any safer/cleaner than a rental but if it's related to my child I like to have a peace of mind.

gazgolf1
22nd July 2008, 08:56 AM
Are the capsules equipped with mystery stains and stuff?

gazgolf1
22nd July 2008, 08:58 AM
even my bean counter wife

Is that why you are not HOing anymore Loey?

andylo
22nd July 2008, 08:58 AM
Those we seen in QA are not.

On the other hand the other private company one would smell funny occasionally.

andylo
22nd July 2008, 08:59 AM
Is that why you are not HOing anymore Loey?

Nah, I just found what I like + feel comfortable to use. Don't feel like tinkering anymore.

Jarro
22nd July 2008, 09:00 AM
Nah, I just found what I like + feel comfortable to use. Don't feel like tinkering anymore.

So no more kids then ? :-s

andylo
22nd July 2008, 09:22 AM
Long story short we haven't quite come to an agreement on that.

There's a goods and bads with both....

But lets not steal Gaz's thread. He need info on this capsule thingy.

poidda
22nd July 2008, 09:25 AM
With the amount of kids in OzGolf these days, surely there's one laying in the garage next to the spare drivers. ;)

BrisVegas
22nd July 2008, 09:31 AM
we rented from the Qld Ambulance both times for our kids. The capsules are either new or in good nic and are professionally cleaned before they rent them out. I think it was $50 from memory. And the QAS guys fit it properly as part of the service.

By the time they have outgrown the capsule, they can typically go into a forward facing baby seat which will last them for a couple of years.

3oneday
22nd July 2008, 09:32 AM
You could save me ebaying mine ;)

Xray
22nd July 2008, 10:48 AM
Do they have a time limit on the rental?

A capsule is only good while they are very young, you then have to get a car seat, not very versatile in my opinion. They are also a very bulky unit if you take it out of the car to go shopping with. (example only)

We bought a baby car seat, which when you use with a new born the baby faces away from you ie looking out the back windscreen. When they are old enough you turn the seat around and you can then use it till they grow out of it. Did 3 children this way and have moved it on to another family member, seat has lasted 12 years, so buy a good brand and you can’t go wrong.

One thing to remember is if your vehicle is not fitted with a restraint point you will have to get one professionally installed and a compliance plate issued so as to meet the legal requirements.

Jarro
22nd July 2008, 10:50 AM
You could save me ebaying mine ;)

Sure you won't be needing it again in the future ?

;)

PeteyD
22nd July 2008, 10:53 AM
All vehicles manufactured after a particular date have the restraint points. It's have to be pretty old to not have one.

We bought one of the ones that convert to a seat when you turn them around. Lasts a lot longer. It is sitting up in our ceiling in storage if you are interested Gaz. Never been pranged etc.

Sydney Hacker
22nd July 2008, 10:54 AM
We went with the baby seat in my wives car and capsule in mine.

The capsule was very handy if you were going out anywhere and the kiddie is sleeping you can just lift the capsule out and not wake them up. Also handy if you are going out for dinner or anything like that, as they can just lie there in it, no need for a pram etc.

Jarro
22nd July 2008, 10:56 AM
Ah Gaz, you really do have it all ahead of you mate :lol:

Good luck !

3oneday
22nd July 2008, 11:18 AM
Sure you won't be needing it again in the future ?

;)
oh yes, guaranteed.

PeteyD
22nd July 2008, 11:21 AM
Snip a dee doo daaa, Snip a dee eh!

Jarro
22nd July 2008, 11:25 AM
Snip a dee doo daaa, Snip a dee eh!

:smt023:smt045

BrisWesty
22nd July 2008, 12:04 PM
Have borrowed an unbent capsule from a friend.

Xray
22nd July 2008, 01:25 PM
All vehicles manufactured after a particular date have the restraint points. It's have to be pretty old to not have one.

We bought one of the ones that convert to a seat when you turn them around. Lasts a lot longer. It is sitting up in our ceiling in storage if you are interested Gaz. Never been pranged etc.

Not so, Toyota Hi Lux SR5 are the only ones that come with child restraints, cheaper models are an after market attachment. Hence the need to get one fitted and compliance plate issued to make it legal. :)

PeteyD
22nd July 2008, 01:29 PM
Seriously? I thought it was an ADR. Or are you talking grey imports? And it might not apply to utes.

All cars after 1969 I think. However the anchor point in most is a threaded hole. You would still need to fit a clip and bolt etc.

Date wrong - my bad. According to the standard
http://legislation.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/framelodgmentattachments/EF4381B88621ADB5CA2571E800205DC4

all small m class vehicles (cars etc under 3.5 tonne) from 1 Jan 1993, and larger buses a year or two later.

Xray
22nd July 2008, 01:49 PM
I was only referring to utes, as I have had to have anchor points put into 2 now.

Thankfully am not going to be having any more children, and the wife better not come up to me and say I am pregnant love, isn't it marvelous.

If she does I will be wanting a DNA test to verify the father, then to the solicitor to start legal proceedings against the surgeon :lol:

PeteyD
22nd July 2008, 01:56 PM
Not sure how you'd go with the legal preceedings, pretty sure there is a NOWRNTY stamp on the contract with the surgeon.

Xray
22nd July 2008, 01:58 PM
That stamp is every where I look lately.

gazgolf1
22nd July 2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice,I might go down the Qld ambo path.

Btw we found out this morning that we are expecting a little girl on Dec13. :)

BrisVegas
22nd July 2008, 02:18 PM
awesome news Gaz. Good luck with it all.

AndyP
22nd July 2008, 02:21 PM
Nice one, Gaz.

PeteyD
22nd July 2008, 02:23 PM
good luck with it all mate.

Jarro
22nd July 2008, 02:39 PM
Congrats Gaz and mrs Gaz :)

chappy1970
22nd July 2008, 02:48 PM
Congrats Gaz, got to of me myself.

Any truth to the romour that all babies are boys and they knock the d!cks off the silly ones at birth and they become the girls??

BrisVegas
22nd July 2008, 02:56 PM
eewwww, is that what i cut off my two? :shock:

andylo
22nd July 2008, 02:58 PM
Good work Gaz and congrat to the Gaz family :)

PeteyD
22nd July 2008, 03:00 PM
Congrats Gaz and mrs Gaz :)

Or Mrs Gaz and the milkman :mrgreen:

gazgolf1
22nd July 2008, 03:15 PM
Or Mrs Gaz and the milkman :mrgreen:

Easy big fella. ;)

Thanks all. :)

Moe Norman
22nd July 2008, 08:00 PM
Gaz,

We bought a seat the first time and then turned it around when she grew up.

However, this time we're going to go the rent a capsule option because it has the benefit of being able to just take the baby out still in the capsule when asleep which minimises disturbance. This is a feature I think is priceless!

markTHEblake
22nd July 2008, 08:07 PM
buy a new one tightarse!

goughy
22nd July 2008, 08:29 PM
We went the car seat option with both our kids, the one that faces both directions for infants and toddlers. I agree that being to have them in the capsule and just lift them in and out of the car would be good. We were a bit concerned about waking them up every time we got them out of the car, but they pretty much just slept.

Also don't forget that when you get her into a baby seat that QA can help you with the fitting of that too. There was a fee for them to actually fully fit it in the car for you, but it was free if you fitted it yourself and they just checked what you had done. That is what I did, and the QA person showed me what I had done wrong and showed me what to do. Actually learnt better that way, and was free.

Actually, Kyan is just about out of this car seat now (infant to whatever). He's comeing on to 3.5yrs so it had a long usable period. It was one of the middle upper models of safe and sound. It might be looking for a new home soon.

just
22nd July 2008, 08:42 PM
Good stuff Gaz!

For what its worth for my two (and I'll do the same when the third comes along) is rent the capsule for the first six months and then buy a baby seat. Getting them in and out of the car without waking them is a very good!
cheers
just

Colin
22nd July 2008, 10:40 PM
For our first kid, we went with a convertable carseat, facing backwards for the first six months or so and then turned around to face front. He's still using that one.

For the second one, we decided to go with a capsule from QAS. I don't know if they're the same all over, but up here they refurbish them completely each time they're hired, so when we got ours it was brand new looking. Original loan was for three months, IIRC, but there's an option to extend the rental for free.

I'd definately recommend going for the capsule route. Especially when they're newborn, it's so much easier to pack them up to take out, and to transport around the place in general.

Col

gazgolf1
23rd July 2008, 06:35 AM
Excellent comments guys and think i will be going the blakearse route and trying out the Ambo's. :)

Grunt
23rd July 2008, 06:49 AM
When we had Tayla, Not sure which parent ,but they paid for a seat that Rachelle picked out. It was one that could face both ways and when it was facing forwards it could be rotated so as to face the door of the car. It was great, no leaning over at bad angles to get her in and out. Also got good money for it on Ebay after she grew out of it.