PDA

View Full Version : Norman - It would be a pity...

virge666
20th July 2008, 06:39 PM
Gents and Ladies.

After watching the 3rd round of the Open, I ask myself what would happen if Norman lost it tonight. We as Australian's have always had a "Tall Poppy" syndrome with pretty much anyone in the spotlight. from Hair dressers and Chefs to Sport and Movie stars.

Think about this for a moment... Norman is over 50 and playing the Open golf course smarter and better than everybody else in the world. (excluding TW of course) That is just a amazing effort. Nothing short of brilliant - but what about tomorrow ?

So, If Norman wins - will we and media discount it because TW wasn't playing.

If Norman just loses, will we rip into him for not being able to step up and win.

If Norman has a bad round tomorrow - do we bring out the old choker label and give him that... Maybe the boring line that he is not Australian, etc.

Seeing it from this end - I sort of wonder whatever happens tonight - how will Australia and the Australian Media react.

Lastly - Norman has shown that quite honestly - playing well in a Major is a strength of character that doesn't seem to be in Australian golfers... Maybe Newton was right - winning isn't important when you earn $4-5 million a year in prize money and endorsements.

What do you folks think ?

macjackass
20th July 2008, 06:43 PM
My opinion won't change regardless of what happens. I'd love him for him to win but just the fact that he is leading after 3 rounds with such little competitive golf behind him is outstanding.

goughy
20th July 2008, 06:44 PM
I think you just jinxed him ;)

If he loses regardless he will undoubtedly get some choker references, even though he would have been the oldest major winner by 6 years, with the great Jack the one back.

I for one will watch tonite and hope he does it. If he doesn't then he's done so much better than anyone would have expected. And I still wonder how much having Chrissie there has helped! Out of no where he does this, straight after re-marrying.

Eag's
20th July 2008, 06:45 PM
Whatever he shoots in the last round I for one will not be calling him a choker. It is a remarkable achievement just to get himself in a position to win.
I have always been a fan and it would be great for Australian golf to see him pull it off 8-)

Jarro
20th July 2008, 06:45 PM
IF he loses tonight, i for one will not bag the legend ..... nobody expected him to make the cut FFS :roll:

The media will do what they normally do, calling him past it and what not. I'm sure he couldn't give a rats arse what anyone thinks of him anyway (except the new bride that is)

Let's all send The Shark some positive karma tonight shall we :mrgreen:

PeteyD
20th July 2008, 06:46 PM
Bloke is awesome. Regardless of tonight, but I hope the old bugga can do it!!

Eag's
20th July 2008, 06:47 PM
I am about to hit the sack so I can get up later and watch every shot :mrgreen:
Got to start 6am tomorrow :(

goughy
20th July 2008, 06:50 PM
I'm doing the opposite, staying up all night! If I staple my finger to a chair tomorrow eags will you drive up and pull it out?

Muza
20th July 2008, 07:00 PM
Watching the footy today, Phil Gould said 'lets hope the golfing gods are with Norman today!" he also went on to say "if he wins, it will be one of the best sporting moments in history" I dont often agree with Gus but I cant help but hope and think the same. If he wins it will be one the best golfing storys. Maybe even undo some of the old pain he has had to endure. And also give him some more hunger to keep playing the tour. I cant wait!!!!

Come on Greg!!!!!!

jaybam
20th July 2008, 07:06 PM
If i drank i would raise my stubbie to him. Has been a tremendous effort thus far and what ever happens tonight we should all be proud of what he has done in the first three rounds. Go the shark !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce
20th July 2008, 07:08 PM
I think the main criticism of the Shark in the past was failure to live up to expectations in majors.

No one in the world has any expectations of him tonight and so the worst he can do is fail to win an event no one thought he would do anything in. He has already exceeded expectations for the weekend, but could end up producing a result of legend.

jaybam
20th July 2008, 07:09 PM
I think its great that he said he hasnt had nerves like that before a golf game for over 10 years. Shows he still wants it i think.

BrisWesty
20th July 2008, 07:10 PM
May nobody jump the Shark!

AndyP
20th July 2008, 07:20 PM
There's two different ways to lose. Get overtaken by a someone who plays a great round or thereabouts. Or choke. Anything less than a solid round after three good rounds is the latter.

He would have pretty high expectations of himself, I would think.

gazgolf1
20th July 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm just glad that Chris taught him how to put in the hole.

Webster
20th July 2008, 07:39 PM

Finding "that" hole has never been an issue for the Shark - he is worlds best practice by a considerable margin.

Regardless of what happens tonight, he has done a magnificent job. The difference this time is that he has gone in as a rank underdog and massively overachieved, whereas at his peak he carried the expectations of the whole country and fell short many times. Same goes for Duval who gave us a brief glimpse of his talents with a 69 on Friday, only to struggle with an 82 last night - would be great to see him back competitive with the big boys.

I still think Norman will win tonight because those behind him aren't that good.

goughy
20th July 2008, 07:39 PM
:smt079:smt057

adlo
20th July 2008, 07:42 PM
I think Jack summed it up perfectly.

Win or lose, I think Norman has shown amazing determination to play so well with little competitive play under his belt. Not so long ago he was talking about how he had little interest in the game of golf anymore. Funny how quickly things change.

And, if the weather is up again today, I give him a strong chance. He played every shot in the book last night to make every one else (maybe except Harrington) look like they had forgotten how to play links golf.

Good luck Mr Norman.

sms316
20th July 2008, 07:45 PM
It must be unique for him, since he is in contention in a major (let alone leading), and next to nobody thinks he can win. I reckon the complete lack of expectation (and I doubt he much until this point) can only do him a favour.

GO SHARK!!!

LarryLong
20th July 2008, 07:50 PM
I always go for the underdog.

Hard to believe that means I'm now a Greg Norman supporter. :)

jimandr
20th July 2008, 08:09 PM
It's 8.00pm and the golf is on TV. The weather still isn't great, but not as severe as yesterday.

If the wind gets up, I think Norman can win as long as his putting holds up. If it gets easier, I suspect Harrington or Choi can outshoot him.

Regardless, I think Virge has his answer, at least among us aficionados. He has added greatly to his reputation this week, and nobody would get negative if he doesn't win.

Hooker
20th July 2008, 08:18 PM
It doesn't matter what happens tonight.

Who would have thought last Thursday morning that Greg Norman was a chance of leading the Open at the beginning of the final round and playing in the final group.

He was at 250 to 1 to win it , has not been competitive at this level for many years and to see his name on the top half of the leader board after the first round made me think , what the **** . Second round , holy shit. Now , what the **** Greg , you have got to be joking.

Well done Greg , after what you have done at your age at this stage of your career is good enough for me . And the result , weather it be winner or tied for fourth at the end was enough for the golfing world to stand up and take notice .

Lefty-Draws-It
20th July 2008, 08:29 PM
Good luck Greg!

adlo
20th July 2008, 08:33 PM
Lets not forget how much we have needed an Aussie to make his mark in a major since Ogilvy's triumph. Who thought it'd be Greg Norman?!

markTHEblake
20th July 2008, 09:01 PM
Choi makes me nervous - mate of mine says that its a given that he will be the first asian to win a major, as he is the most focused and determined golfer he has met. (this coming from a guy who stared down Jumbo Ozaki on home turf and beat him, so I value his opinion)

Choi might have wobbled in round 3, but I reckon he will play better tonight.

Norman can hold his head high no matter what and the thing I have noticed in r3 was his fist pumps and smiling/laughing - never seen him do that on a golf course before. If he can keep that up that is the key.

I'm praying Greg can pull it off, this would eclipse Jack's Masters tenfold. If Greg cannot I am gunning for Choi - very much looking forward to his acceptance speech.

adlo
20th July 2008, 09:12 PM
I agree, if Norman lost, Choi would be a worthy winner. He is a classy golfer. However, watching him play with Norman yesterday he just didn't have the shots like Norman. You could tell he didn't have the experience in the high winds. However, with today not looking as windy, he'd have to be a chance.

jaybam
20th July 2008, 09:25 PM
The winds are still high but not as severe as the last few days. Credit too al of them for playing in such tough conditions.

PeteyD
20th July 2008, 09:37 PM
Winds are getting stronger, up to 22 mph now.

Eag's
20th July 2008, 09:41 PM
How good are these blokes at the knock down shot :shock:
Love watching them punching it in low and getting it to stop 8-)

goughy
20th July 2008, 09:43 PM
Are you guys watching it already??? Wot's it on...

Jarro
20th July 2008, 09:46 PM
Foxsports started at 8pm Goughy

PeteyD
20th July 2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.mogulus.com/grid/PlayerV2.swf?channel=gttv2

markTHEblake
20th July 2008, 09:50 PM
I cant get over Norman hitting a 4 iron pitch from 120m. No way i could play that shot - i'd smother it left.

talbo
20th July 2008, 09:59 PM
Norman is a legend and at 50+ yo I'm going to be proud as an Aussie supporter to see him finish on Sunday having made the cut. He has nothing to prove to me, he's already proved it.

simmsy
20th July 2008, 10:04 PM
lets hope the old dog holds on for this one, and i will be sure to b!tch slap anyone tomorrow who says he choked again if he happens to miss out!

Big golf clap to Mr. Norman for showing the young pups how to play true links golf.
I think it shows he should of got rid of the x-missus long ago.
About to go to bed as us plebs here in wa without fox don't get the telecast until 11.30 so i will be getting up at 2am to watch the last 9 or so holes.

GO SHARK!!!!

damoocow
20th July 2008, 10:08 PM
have no foxtel and need to know...
1 - is the ch 9 coverage live ?
2 - what time does Norman tee off ?

Jarro
20th July 2008, 10:13 PM
have no foxtel and need to know...
1 - is the ch 9 coverage live ?
2 - what time does Norman tee off ?

Nines coverage is live (supposedly)

Norman tees off in around 1.5 hours

damoocow
20th July 2008, 10:21 PM
Nines coverage is live (supposedly)

Norman tees off in around 1.5 hours

ta - should have bought a 5 hour tape [in case of playoff]- old tech....

Coffs_Hacker
20th July 2008, 11:23 PM
norman just tee'd off 11:20 "U Da Grandpa" :)

Jarro
20th July 2008, 11:48 PM
Hope he can hang on ... 2 bogeys to start with isn't that good :(

Harrington is looking the goods though with 2 solid pars

Eag's
21st July 2008, 12:29 AM
Bummer 3 Bogeys in a row and now he has hit it in the deap crap on 6 :(

adlo
21st July 2008, 12:40 AM
Not looking good for Norman. Not just because of the bogeys, but Harrington is playing so solid.

PeteyD
21st July 2008, 01:26 AM
Looking good for Norman now. Go old man!!!

mike
21st July 2008, 02:17 AM
I don't think I can watch this anymore

Coffs_Hacker
21st July 2008, 02:21 AM
blowing up :smt087

Surely some gay boy in pink pants can't win it ?????

goughy
21st July 2008, 07:03 AM
2am and it was too much for me. I just hoped the 6am news was gonna tell me what I wanted to here!!

Onya for 3rd greggles.

Eag's
21st July 2008, 07:11 AM
Same here Goughy as soon as I could see he was out of it I hit the sack :(
Great performance none the less :smt038:smt038

PeteyD
21st July 2008, 07:37 AM
Nancies! You missed a great close by Harrington, was awesome stuff.

goughy
21st July 2008, 07:43 AM
Meh! He's done it before!

Now, I wanna know which one of us jinxed him????? I'll ban the bugger out of them ;)

Eag's
21st July 2008, 07:52 AM
Nancies! You missed a great close by Harrington, was awesome stuff.

Yeah mate wanted to stick it out but had to be here at work buy 6am :roll:

BrisVegas
21st July 2008, 08:31 AM
I got up and watched the last few holes. Was sad to see Norman had fallen away, but awesome stuff that he was in contention at all.

Harrington seems a really decent bloke and hit some incredible shots on 17 & 18 when he needed to. Watching Harrington tee off on 17 I thought there was something wrong with my tv. He must have backed away 6 times. He seems to be a bundle of nerves.

peter_rs
21st July 2008, 08:33 AM
Just wish him luck next week at the Senior, I wonder if he can back up.

Jarro
21st July 2008, 08:44 AM
I watched him hack it around until he hit it into the front right trap on 13 .....

.. i went to bed after that :(

Pretty good performance from the man though .... got all the golfing world buzzing 8)

AndyP
21st July 2008, 08:47 AM
Nice choke. He kept driving it into the crap and couldn't even get his approaches close to the green half the time. There were some weird decisions in there too. At least his putter kept it together.

I lasted until Poulter had finished and Norman/Harrington had birdied the second last par 5. At that stage there was a chance Harrington could lose, but he looked pretty solid and determined at the time. That's the most TV golf I've watched in ages.

AndyP
21st July 2008, 08:48 AM
I watched him hack it around until he hit it into the front right trap on 13 .....He parred that one after draining a long putt. He also birdied on a par 5 after hacking it in the greenside trap for 2.

Jarro
21st July 2008, 08:51 AM
Yeah i thought he didn't putt too badly ..... his ironplay let him down .... as well as non-effective tee shots :roll:

dc68
21st July 2008, 08:54 AM
Nice choke.

Shut the **** up ****!!!!!

AndyP
21st July 2008, 09:00 AM
That's not even funny, so why post your abuse? Keep it to yourself.

Scottt
21st July 2008, 09:13 AM
Andy P, by your own admission you watch very little professional golf. Why was it a choke?

The ignorance of some Aussie golf fans embarrasses me, but that's what you get from people who only pay attention for four weeks of the year.

I sat up and watched every shot. It was far from Norman's finest round, but he still finished third in horrible conditions against 155 of the 156 best golfers in the world.

And what's more, just like in '96 at Augusta, he carried himself like a true gentleman and did himself and Australia proud.

moree golfer
21st July 2008, 09:14 AM
2am and it was too much for me. I just hoped the 6am news was gonna tell me what I wanted to here!!

Onya for 3rd greggles.
I only made it to 1am and had to rest the lids. Put a tape on so I could watch the carnage tonight.

Jarro
21st July 2008, 09:14 AM
I also like the fact that Harrington really praised Norman in his victory speech ... class act that :)

AndyP
21st July 2008, 09:22 AM
Andy P, by your own admission you watch very little professional golf. Why was it a choke?Three good rounds followed up with a scrappy one with some ordinary decisions made.

What's watching golf on a regular basis got to do with it? Would that have given me some special insight into it. I guess I've missed out on seeing this shaggable chick you talk about anyway.

Scottt
21st July 2008, 09:45 AM
Three good rounds followed up with a scrappy one with some ordinary decisions made.

What's watching golf on a regular basis got to do with it? Would that have given me some special insight into it. I guess I've missed out on seeing this shaggable chick you talk about anyway.

Watching golf on a regular basis gives you a source of comparison. Numbers on a page never tell the true story, but armchair experts love to use them as their sole measure of wheather or not the greatest golfer Australia has produced is a "choker".

He still beat 152 other golfers, not a bad effort, and his 77, though disappointing wasn't too much above the stroke average for the day.

The shagable chick was just a bonus after an awesome display of shotmaking by McDowell.

virge666
21st July 2008, 09:55 AM
Watching golf on a regular basis gives you a source of comparison. Numbers on a page never tell the true story, but armchair experts love to use them as their sole measure of wheather or not the greatest golfer Australia has produced is a "choker".

Totally agree.

Anyone who reckons that was a choke needs to look at the other scores of the day.

also . . .

* He played the same way for all 4 rounds - agressive and positive golf.
* When you are two behind with 4 to play - you need to start taking risks.
* He NEVER gave up, never lost his temper, and was class from beginning to end.
* Harrington shot under par on a day that almost no one else shot under par.

I also thought Poulter deserves a special mention... I wouldn't have minded being one off the pace with the leaders still on the 14th.

The British Open is by far the best major of the year.

AndyP
21st July 2008, 10:11 AM
Watching golf on a regular basis gives you a source of comparison. Numbers on a page never tell the true story, but armchair experts love to use them as their sole measure of wheather or not the greatest golfer Australia has produced is a "choker".I don't recall mentioning any numbers. It was based on watching him play.
But since numbers have been mentioned, there were only 6 players in the top 50 that scored 77 or worse.

Credit to him for hanging in there, as he did really well to score as well as he did and avoid a double bogey or two. His putting saved it from being worse, plus a couple of lucky breaks with lies when he sprayed his drives.

3oneday
21st July 2008, 10:17 AM
His putting saved it from being worse
I didn't see much of the last round, but in the 2nd round he holed absolutely everything ! On the last he putted off the green from the front and holed the one coming back.

Regardless of all these guys who jump on the "choke" bandwagon, it's proven there are only a few golfers who can string 4 perfectly consistent rounds together. Villegas went 76/65 in the first 2, where did he finish ?

Norman was playing a warm up for the seniors Open, he'd have to be unbackable fav after that effort !

Jarro
21st July 2008, 10:20 AM
He had a few nasty putts for pars during the final round ... and a fair few of them lipped out :roll:

Scottt
21st July 2008, 10:23 AM
I counted three lipouts, two of them early. The fact is those putts stayed out, but you're drawing a very long bow to accuse a bloke of choking when he didn't card a score worse than bogey all day.

It's also worth noting that he didn't miss a putt under five feet. There's no dictionary definition of a choke, obviously, but for mine it would need to include a couple of four-footers that doesn't even get a piece of the lip.

Scottt
21st July 2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=50957

There's a lot to like in there.

v205
21st July 2008, 11:00 AM
Worst display of course management in the final round, What's with all the drivers and continual spraying into the rough when the other guy was mostly using irons off the tee? I didn't watch any of the first 3 rounds but surely he made better decisions or he was just more lucky. He's still swinging it pretty too damn hard.

Craig_Syd
21st July 2008, 11:07 AM
At the end of the day the guy doesn't play much golf anymore, is 53 and came third in the British Open! It is an absolutely amazing achievement and I for 1 will be having a beer tonight to celebrate. Congrats to Padgraig, that was one of the best rounds of golf in such trying conditins I have ever seen.

Jarro
21st July 2008, 11:10 AM
Worst display of course management in the final round, What's with all the drivers and continual spraying into the rough when the other guy was mostly using irons off the tee?

He got to be leader after 54 holes by using driver (one of his major strengths) more often than not, so i assume he just went out there in the last round with the same mindset.

He really didn't play that bad a last round.

adlo
21st July 2008, 11:16 AM
No he didn't. His final round score was average for the day, and with a couple of lipped putts dropping his way things would be very different.

Grunt
21st July 2008, 12:26 PM
No choke in my eyes, He still is the great golfer he will always be. He has always be known for his charisma on the course and didn't he bring it back in this Open. A crowd favourite and he showed it. Bet the promoters of the British Senior Open are now glad he is coming to play, ticket sales will get a boost with the paying public wondreing how well he will play there.

I have to agree with Virge about the Open being the best major. Love seeing the pros have to manufacture shots, not just the target golf that the US tour has become

macjackass
21st July 2008, 12:38 PM
Agree 100% about it being the best major.

mike
21st July 2008, 01:04 PM
Harrington's approach into 17 was the 2nd best shot under pressure I've seen for a loooooong time.

PeteyD
21st July 2008, 02:01 PM
That approach was all class. Normans effort was class as well. A couple of those early lip out putts dropping would have altered the pressure on Harrington greatly.

Trung
21st July 2008, 02:12 PM
Norman got himself a spot at the 2009 Masters tournament by finishing in the top 4 at the British.

I bet he is looking forward to that.

PeteyD
21st July 2008, 02:16 PM
I hope he plays in it!

Eag's
21st July 2008, 02:18 PM
Norman got himself a spot at the 2009 Masters tournament by finishing in the top 4 at the British.

I bet he is looking forward to that.

Sweet didn't realise he still gets a start in the Masters 8-)

virge666
21st July 2008, 03:32 PM
I have to agree with Virge about the Open being the best major. Love seeing the pros have to manufacture shots, not just the target golf that the US tour has become

Yep - Screw the Masters, that puppy has been dead since they Tiger proofed the course. It is just the US Open again... no cheering, no last nine runs ... YAWN
The US Open is usually an absolute snore (this year being the exception)
The PGA is a lot of fun - but the courses are one dimensional . . .

The Open is by FAR the best major. Wind, Rain and greens that are not tricked up. You can play it 8 different ways as there is more than one landing area per hole. It ALWAYS rewards agressive and attractive play.

And here is the kicker . . . ANYONE can win it.. long hitters, short hitters, good putters and shot makers... it is just sensational. I have been glued to the TV till 4am for almost every year.

If Tiger moved to Europe - no one would have ever heard of the US Tour. if you want to see good ball strikers... go to Europe, if you want to see bomb and gouge - go to the USA.

<rant over> :)

Scottt
21st July 2008, 03:43 PM
I'm inclined to agree Virge. I'm only a recent convert to watching the Euro Tour, and it's so much more interesting and entertaining than the US tour.

Great viewing.

Coogee Beach
21st July 2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah there's definitely a sameness about the Yank courses, and the whole PGA Tour. It can be a bit generic, like McDonald's ... same-same. Whereas your British Open courses, with those pot bunkers, the swales and such, the heather ... y'know, Tiger won at St.Andrews hitting two-irons off the tee and bump-n-running at the greens. Terrific stuff, and far better than watching some great brute of a Bubba Watson belting it 350m and hitting wedge. And two-putting. And doing it the 14 times it's not a par-3. And on them hitting wedge. And two-putting. And the Brits do commentary better. All you hear from the Yanks is: "Wow."

Wow. Yet it's lost the wow factor. Unless the Tigger's playing, and then the coverage is completely dominated by him.

And i think that is bad.

Scottt
21st July 2008, 04:07 PM
Re the telecast: that was the one let-down for me.

Two things:

1. Cameras that couldn't pick up the ball in the air, or find it after it had finished. Not acceptable, it ain't that hard.

2. Commentators rooting for their countrymen excessively. They're there to add colour to the telecast, inform and entertain, not cheer for their favourites.

AndyP
21st July 2008, 04:15 PM
Re the telecast: that was the one let-down for me.

Two things:

1. Cameras that couldn't pick up the ball in the air, or find it after it had finished. Not acceptable, it ain't that hard.

2. Commentators rooting for their countrymen excessively. They're there to add colour to the telecast, inform and entertain, not cheer for their favourites.
Was it on ad-free TV over there?

Because Ch 9 chose some weird times to go to a break. Like when Poulter had a crucial par putt on the 18th!!!!!!!!

Scottt
21st July 2008, 04:24 PM
Over where?

virge666
21st July 2008, 04:26 PM

Scott, Agreed. But . . .

Camera setup on Links courses is difficult from a logistics POV. There is no dark background to get sight of the ball against... it makes it HELL for camera men, even with BW monitors.

And it is a BBC feed - therefore they have to show the local lads. Same way we do in our coverages.

Lastly with reference to US parkland golf.

Most of their golf course have a "path" or "Way" to play them, for example - right side of fairway, back left pin placement... EVERYone plays the hole exactly the same way... everything else is a recovery to get back "into position" You will hear commentators use the word "position" a lot.

With Links golf - you have an clean sheet of canvas to start with and then you can plan you game around the course... so instead of following everybody else, you can play it to your strengths. And with everyone having their own plan... it makes for MUCH MUCH better golf and more contenders.

If anyone has played Carnoustie or Birkdale here, they will also understand that they are just sensational courses... and you can play it so many different ways... I have played both the above courses 1/2 a dozen times now and each time I found some little nuance.

Lastly, watch both tours and LISTEN to the ball striking... the "WHUMP" you get on the Euro tour vs the "tink" you get in the USA. The swings are SO MUCH better in Euro land.

Just Sensational stuff.

AndyP
21st July 2008, 04:34 PM
Over where?
The UK, where the golf was played.

And it is a BBC feed

oz
21st July 2008, 04:48 PM
No choke in my eyes, He still is the great golfer he will always be. He has always be known for his charisma on the course and didn't he bring it back in this Open. A crowd favourite and he showed it. Bet the promoters of the British Senior Open are now glad he is coming to play, ticket sales will get a boost with the paying public wondreing how well he will play there.

Ditto from me, Grunt. An outstanding showing, IMO. For a 53 y.o. part-time tour player now, it was only a few shots short of being miraculous. I have always been a huge Norman fan, and he's done nothing this week to change that.

The British Open is so much a better test of golf than the other 3, it barely warrants discusssion. That is golf at it's best.

Scottt
21st July 2008, 04:54 PM
The UK, where the golf was played.

I'm still in Sydney.

I don't fly out until November 2, just in time for the start of their long, cold, dark, wet winter :lol:

cazandpaul
21st July 2008, 05:09 PM
I spent all morning listening to members talking about the Open - most of the old boys never take any interest in anything but their latest medical problems - it is amazing it takes a 53 year old to get them talking about golf and highlights a lack in Australian golf in my opinion.

The choke word was used but only by people who have never had an original thought of their own.

markTHEblake
21st July 2008, 06:38 PM
1. Cameras that couldn't pick up the ball in the air, or find it after it had finished.

I have been watching the Open since Ballesteros was a boy, and there has always been two constants;
1. Peter Alliss yapping away about the weather usually being worse than this
2. Lots of blank camera shots staring at an empty fairway and Peter Alliss asking anyone if they saw where the ball went.

markTHEblake
21st July 2008, 06:49 PM
The choke word was used but only by people who have never had an original thought of their own.

Its a poorly used word, everyone chokes. Padraig won because he choked less than everyone else.

Moe Norman
21st July 2008, 06:55 PM
Worst display of course management in the final round, What's with all the drivers and continual spraying into the rough when the other guy was mostly using irons off the tee? I didn't watch any of the first 3 rounds but surely he made better decisions or he was just more lucky. He's still swinging it pretty too damn hard.perhaps you should have watched the first 3 rounds, then you wouldn't make such silly statements.

He hit driver almost exclusively all week, and hit it well.

PeteyD
22nd July 2008, 09:03 AM
It is the way he has always played.

v205
22nd July 2008, 07:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, I stayed up to watch him win. But after 3 bogeys in the first 3 holes to defend a lead to win (and with the masters at the back of his mind), try something different for a change?

Grunt
22nd July 2008, 07:54 PM
Norman's play on the weekend broke other records too

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24059916-23213,00.html

Grunt
24th July 2008, 08:22 AM
Greg has now been invited to play in the PGA. Maybe with No Tiger they want a guy that the crowds will follow.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24069268-23213,00.html

Colin
24th July 2008, 09:28 AM
Greg has now been invited to play in the PGA. Maybe with No Tiger they want a guy that the crowds will follow.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24069268-23213,00.html

Good on him - I hope he takes a stab at it, when the mood strikes him. He's certainly got the tools to win a couple of events.

sms316
24th July 2008, 10:28 AM
Good on him - I hope he takes a stab at it, when the mood strikes him. He's certainly got the tools to win a couple of events.
One of his tools is occupied at the moment with Chrissy.
:mrgreen:

Jarro
24th July 2008, 10:36 AM
I'd be very surprised if Norman increased his playing schedule much at all.

I'm not sure if it was in an online transcription of an interview he did, or whether it was an interview i saw with him on Foxsports, but he sounded like he dreaded what his schedule might've become if indeed he'd won the Open.

The man clearly doesn't wanna play that much golf anymore.

markTHEblake
24th July 2008, 10:43 AM
Yep i remember him saying that. I think it was more the 8 hours practise a day that he needed to remain competitive, rather than the actual playing that he dreaded.

Scottt
24th July 2008, 10:48 AM
So even on the Senior Tour, the guys are practicing plenty of hours a day?

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or disgusted :lol:

Grunt
24th July 2008, 09:12 PM
Greg is not having hte best of 1st rounds in the Senior Open. He is 6 over after 11!

goughy
25th July 2008, 09:57 AM
Yep - Screw the Masters, that puppy has been dead since they Tiger proofed the course. It is just the US Open again... no cheering, no last nine runs ... YAWN
The US Open is usually an absolute snore (this year being the exception)
The PGA is a lot of fun - but the courses are one dimensional . . .

The Open is by FAR the best major. Wind, Rain and greens that are not tricked up. You can play it 8 different ways as there is more than one landing area per hole. It ALWAYS rewards agressive and attractive play.

And here is the kicker . . . ANYONE can win it.. long hitters, short hitters, good putters and shot makers... it is just sensational. I have been glued to the TV till 4am for almost every year.

If Tiger moved to Europe - no one would have ever heard of the US Tour. if you want to see good ball strikers... go to Europe, if you want to see bomb and gouge - go to the USA.

<rant over> :)

Was this course also criticised for being too easy and not enough of a challenge for a major? Funny enough, look at two of the most entertaining majors in recent years. Torry Pines got it's share of bagging for not being a good enough course and what did it produce? I haven't bothered watching much of the majors over the last few years but I watched some of this and watched every ball of the playoff - riveted to my couch!!!

And now the BO. I generally prefer the BO to the others, and I know why.

Scottt
25th July 2008, 10:27 AM
Here's what I'm thinking:

The players are spoiled on the US Tour. The courses are mostly much of a muchness and they just bomb and gauge till their till heart's content.

They are great players at the style of game they play week-to-week, but the real challenge to be a shotmaker is almost nil.

So when a course is set up like a US or British Open is, many of them simply do not have the shots in their arsenal to get the ball around in a decent number of shots.

While the modern ball makes golf easier much of the time, in weather and course setup conditions that make you shape it and work angles, they're at a loss.

Harrington, Norman and Villegas showed at different times during the week that Birkdale could be forced to give up birdies if you played well enough. I just think most modern players don't have the imagination and creativity to go low when the going gets tough.

goughy
25th July 2008, 11:22 AM
Like pitching with 4 irons! Gotta love the course variety in europe.

PeteyD
25th July 2008, 04:45 PM
McDonald's golf courses created from McDonalds players out of the college system where they all have the same swing etc. Unfortunately the $$ for golf are on the PGA Tour. Interestingly, the new course in Oregon that has only 1 tree is on the US open roster in a few years. Be good to see how it plays.

And the yanks kike to slag off at the Open being called a Major!

Scottt
25th July 2008, 05:04 PM
I'd love to see how the $$$ moved across the Atlantic if Tiger and Elin decided they wanted to live in Sweden for a few years to be close to her family, and he became a Euro PGA Tour player.

I'd f***king love to see that!

markTHEblake
25th July 2008, 06:39 PM
I dont get all this stereotype that the Yanks are not suited to the Open - they win it more than anyone else (in the modern era)

virge666
25th July 2008, 07:43 PM
I dont get all this stereotype that the Yanks are not suited to the Open - they win it more than anyone else (in the modern era)

Anyone got a list of the last 10-15 years ?

2008 - Padraig Harrington
2007 - Padraig Harrington
2006 - Tiger Woods
2005 - Tiger Woods
2004 - Todd Hamilton
2003 - Ben Curtis
2002 - Ernie Els
2001 - David Duval
2000 - Tiger Woods
1999 - Paul Lawrie
1998 - Mark O'Meara
1997 - Justin Leonard
1996 - Tom Lehman
1995 - John Daly
1994 - Nick Price
1993 - Greg Norman
1992 - Nick Faldo
1991 - Ian Baker-Finch 1990 - Nick Faldo

So take out Tiger and you have

Duval, Curtis, O'Meara, Daly, Lehman and Leonard and I reckon those were the day when it didn;t blow...

But I do see your point...

markTHEblake
25th July 2008, 07:57 PM
I wouldnt call 10-15 modern :-)

Hamilton is a yankee too

But on the other hand if you observe the top10 in each Open, whilst the yanks dominate the winners list, they do not dominate the high placings. But that could just be percentages I suppose, the Open always has a much larger european et al field.

virge666
25th July 2008, 09:31 PM
I wouldnt call 10-15 modern :-)

Hamilton is a yankee too

But on the other hand if you observe the top10 in each Open, whilst the yanks dominate the winners list, they do not dominate the high placings. But that could just be percentages I suppose, the Open always has a much larger european et al field.

Yeah - with you . . . it really is amazing what technology and Tiger have done to the game...

Seve will never happen again...

markTHEblake
27th July 2008, 01:49 PM
Interesting interview here with Norman. Particularly that he has used Macgregor irons since 1978. Thats almost like a movie star staying married for life - very rare!

http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28136,1566838,00.html

Grunt
29th July 2008, 04:53 PM
Norman still in the news

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24094455-23213,00.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24094452-23213,00.html

Jarro
29th July 2008, 05:16 PM
I hope he accepts the invitation to the Masters ... it'd be good to see him strolling around the fairways there again 8)

Great to see him coming to play in Perth too .... a real shot-in-the-arm for the local tour :)

Eag's
29th July 2008, 05:16 PM
I hope he accepts the invitation to the Masters ... it'd be good to see him strolling around the fairways there again 8)

Great to see him coming to play in Perth too .... a real shot-in-the-arm for the local tour :)

Yes mate it is just great to see him playing again full stop 8-)

adlo
29th July 2008, 09:40 PM
Awesome, was wondering about heading out to the Johnnie Walker. That just made up my mind for me. Hopefully he is still on song come Feb.