PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Shaft in CG12

goonie
18th July 2008, 10:55 PM
I just changed the shaft on my 52* CG12 to a nippon 1050, I weight the club and SW it and it came out D4 but was 14g heavier than my Sand W but was 15g lighter before the reshaft. so I weight the shaft and it was 94g and the grip 64g (Yes a Cleveland grip). Now since when does a DG Wedge flex shaft weight 94g?? and OEM's fit 64g grips to clubs? I've weight some Clevey and normal wedge shafts and they normally range from 118-124g not 94g.
Now the shaft label says Cleveland Golf Wedge Flex, and the shaft also has the black painted "True Temper Dynamic Gold" near the tip of the shaft. The Website says the club has a DG shaft as standard and weights 130g. As for the grip they must have known the shaft was light because they fitted a 64g grip to the club.

Anyway I changed the grip to a more normal 51g one and removed the lead tape I had on it (it was C9.5 SW stock) and it now has a SW of D2.5 and is 2g less than my SW.

Now I know why I was not real keen on this club, will see if it is improved with the new shaft and normal weight grip tomorrow.

gazgolf1
19th July 2008, 06:49 AM
There were lots of fake CG12's getting around Ebay 6 months ago.

3oneday
19th July 2008, 07:03 AM
There were lots of fake CG12's getting around Ebay 6 months ago.i though that but didn't want to say it. Someone asked me how you would tell one of those Cleve wedges were fake, the CG12 or 14, but I have no idea.... except for the price :)

perci
19th July 2008, 08:08 AM
You mean Creveland GC12

gazgolf1
19th July 2008, 08:24 AM
i though that but didn't want to say it. Someone asked me how you would tell one of those Cleve wedges were fake, the CG12 or 14, but I have no idea.... except for the price :)

I have heard that the genuine wedges have a glossy/shiny finish inside the Zip grooves and the fakes don't.

goonie
19th July 2008, 01:33 PM
pretty sure it's real, I didn't get it off ebay, got it on here. I will have to see if I can find some fake CG12 Pics. Yes it has the shiny grooves.

rick3003
19th July 2008, 06:19 PM
pretty sure it's real, I didn't get it off ebay, got it on here. I will have to see if I can find some fake CG12 Pics. Yes it has the shiny grooves.
I was told you can tell whether it is a fake by the grip. Usually the butt end of the grip on cleve wedges are quite thick (ie gp tv) but the fake are very narrow.

goonie
20th July 2008, 12:45 PM
Hit the CG12 with the nippon shaft a few times yesterday and it felt pretty harsh, starting to think it might be a fake after all.

3oneday
20th July 2008, 01:44 PM
pretty sure it's real, I didn't get it off ebay, got it on here.

starting to think it might be a fake after all.
ok, fess up, who was it :shock:

I know it wasn't me, I only buy Cleveland off 3balls and Nomad 8)

goonie
20th July 2008, 04:51 PM
The seller contacted me, he has a couple, he is worried because he was thinking of buying some more wedges off the same ebay guy. I also told him to check his out.

goonie
20th July 2008, 07:20 PM
The guy I bought the club off checked his 3 CG12's and said they have the correct shafts, one of these he got with my 52*.
He got the clubs from this guy http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrtsZ50QQsassZtallman4500 and said he has bought quite a bit of stuff off him, I know another ozgolfer who has bought stuff of this guy as well, so maybe the this tallman guy didn't know it was fake or at least had a fake shaft in the club, (don't know why anyone would shaft a real head with a dodgy DG shaft and put a heavier grip on it to make the overall weight correct)

Anyway has anyone else dealt with Tallman4500?

jaybam
20th July 2008, 07:39 PM
I bought mine from him and anpother golfer from carbrook who i have played with a few times has also bought a lot of gear of him. With over 10000 transactions and 100 percent would find it hard to beleive his gear are fakes. But what would i know. the 52 of mine you tried was from him mate. :)

goonie
20th July 2008, 07:57 PM
This Tallman4500 guy has 16652 sales with a 100% feedback, so he may not have known.

I checked the shaft label against another Cleveland shaft pull that I have and the font is different and the gold background is a matt gold not shinny. Also the Font on TT and DG on the tip of the shaft is slightly different, and the registered r in a circle after the TT and DG on the tip is in a different position to about 10 DG shafts I've checked. I'm not sure about the head of the club because I have looked at heaps of pics on the net and it looks good and the grip looks good and feels good, but it is very heavy at 64g (my other Cleveland grips are around 50g) but the shaft the shaft is fake, and the feel of the club isn't great. I will go to the golf shop tomorrow and see if they have any to compare.

3oneday
20th July 2008, 09:12 PM
He's selling a lot of Cleve drivers etc :shock:

goonie
20th July 2008, 09:54 PM
A lot of TM too.

goonie
21st July 2008, 09:20 PM
club is a fake checked it against one at a golf shop today. the guy I bought it off has a dodgy one too, he is waiting to here from tallman but assures me that he will sort it out one way or another.

Webster
21st July 2008, 09:23 PM
did it have "nwrnty" stamped on it?

goonie
21st July 2008, 09:34 PM
cleveland wedges don't have any serials on them.

henno
21st July 2008, 09:41 PM
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/281/hooklinesinkervr9.gif

goonie
21st July 2008, 11:37 PM
Henno nice, but you never know with Jack, he does come across as pretty thick sometimes.