PDA

View Full Version : Top Sydney Courses

Grunt
16th July 2008, 04:46 PM
What are the best courses in Sydney that we all can get a hit on? Take out the ones that are almost impossible to get on. Include those that we can play an open day on or have regular open days.

Interested to hear everyone's comments, I can't add as I have not play many of the courses north of the harbour so cant comment objectively.

TS
16th July 2008, 04:58 PM
The only one of the better course in Sydney that has Open Day would be Boonie Doon.

For me, the best in Sydney would be

NSW
The Lakes
The Australian
Royal Sydney

The next group would be, not in order

Concord
Pymble
Avondale
Elanora
Monash
Boonie Doon

Other than BD, none of the other has open days.

Grunt
16th July 2008, 05:11 PM
So TS none on the list other than BD.

Andrew
16th July 2008, 05:13 PM
Concord has one open day per year, as does Pymble. Monash now allow unaccompanied play most Sundays & Tuesdays.

Grunt
16th July 2008, 05:14 PM
Ok list is as this so far

Concord
Pymble
Monash
Bonnie Doon

Fishman Dan
16th July 2008, 08:02 PM
5. Gordon

Oatlands/Monash/Ryde Parra offer weekly open days and are better than most. I haven't played the first two, but even if their condition has waned over the years, at least they're accessible.

jimandr
16th July 2008, 09:02 PM
This is a bit different from the normal ranking question, and as such its worth some thought.

Here's a few courses we can get onto that haven't been mentioned. They all have weaknesses, but used to scrape into somebody's top 100 list.

St Michaels
Camden Lakeside
Macquarie Links
Castle Hill
Long Reef
Ryde-Parramatta
Riverside Oaks

sms316
17th July 2008, 07:17 AM
It's been a long time since I played there, but from what I remember Bankstown was half-decent. Same for Mona-Vale.

Neither are anything spectacular, but enjoyable nonetheless.

sms316
17th July 2008, 07:20 AM
5. Gordon

Idiot. :lol:

Why don't you add Northbridge, and it's blind/dog-leg par 3's?

Scottt
17th July 2008, 11:03 AM
I've played 80 courses in NSW. For me the top 10 in Sydney that you can play (if you have a handicap) with reasonable regularity would be

1. NSW
2. Terrey Hills
3. Avondale
4. St Mick's
5. Monash
6. Castle Hill
7. Bonnie Doon
8. Camden Lakeside
9. Long Reef
10. Riverside Oaks

There are definitely two or so I will have forgotten, and I'm not sure how accessible Terrey Hills is.

3oneday
17th July 2008, 11:11 AM
I personally haven't played that many of these, but from what I have heard no decent golfers like to play Monash. They trick the greens up so they are faster than Augusta, which is the only way they can protect the course from being torn apart every week.

Plus Fatty is a member there :p

sms316
17th July 2008, 11:26 AM
I like Monash. Come to think of it I'm happy on any course which puts their greens up to 12+. Sorts out the men from the yippers.

Andrew
17th July 2008, 11:41 AM
Monash has always had a reputation for fast greens & that reputation has become a bit of a hindrance over the years. Although they run their green fast, they are not always firm. In fact, they were like pudding last time I played there. Even poorly struck shots, as long as you got it air born, would stop nice & easy on the soft greens.

Monash is similar in standard to the other north side courses, but with the re-design work at Pymble, Avondale & Elanora, I feel Monash is falling behind, although probably not for long.

Scottt
17th July 2008, 12:02 PM
What is your top 10, Andrew? Not just architecturally, say the same guidelines as for the "Top 100" lists.

sms316
17th July 2008, 12:08 PM
How does Macquarie Links rate in the scheme of things?

TS
17th July 2008, 12:16 PM
How does Macquarie Links rate in the scheme of things?

From a hacker's prospective. Macquarie Link is similar Pymble, nice course to play on. But not something that you will go out of your way to play.

Jono likes Macquarie Link, because they supply free range balls. Jono spend 2 hours on the range before the gamea, and then another 3 or 4 hours after the game.

Scottt
17th July 2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah, see, told ya I forgot one or two!

Not sure how easy it is to get onto (I've always played as a guest of my uncle's corporate membership) but standard-wise I'd slot it in at about 6 or so on the list I posted above.

Trung
17th July 2008, 12:38 PM
Mac Grange.

sms316
17th July 2008, 12:40 PM
Mac Grange.
Better than Gordon?

Trung
17th July 2008, 12:42 PM
its longer.... lol

Scottt
17th July 2008, 12:50 PM
Mac Grange frustrates me, because it could have been a good course if not for a few major issues.

virge666
17th July 2008, 01:07 PM
My Vote on;

Long Reef
Concord

and I really enjoyed Ashlar especially for it was $20 for the game.

NB: Ryde Paramatta is a waste of mower fuel.

sms316
17th July 2008, 01:09 PM

NB: Ryde Paramatta is a waste of mower fuel.
Agreed. Has some good holes, but there is a lot of crap in between.

virge666
17th July 2008, 01:17 PM
Agreed. Has some good holes, but there is a lot of crap in between.

It is just the most over rated courses in Sydney... $55 a round . . . and I get to hit 5i off most of the bloody tees.

Yes it usually is in good nick, but even ugly chicks can trim their "map of tassie"

TS
17th July 2008, 01:22 PM
It is just the most over rated courses in Sydney... $55 a round . . . and I get to hit 5i off most of the bloody tees.

Yes it usually is in good nick, but even ugly chicks can trim their "map of tassie"

I don't mind RP, but don't think it is worth $55. I paid $40 last time I played in their Open Day. And they said the green will be $50 for the week after, told them I won't be paying $50 to play their course anytime soon.

sms316
17th July 2008, 01:28 PM
Do they still have those fences on the left side of 18? Don't want to get stuck behind them. They were bad enough when that used to be the 10th.

Scottt
17th July 2008, 01:29 PM
Where are you a member TS?

TS
17th July 2008, 01:30 PM
Where are you a member TS?

Mac Grange.

3oneday
17th July 2008, 01:32 PM
:lol:

Scottt
17th July 2008, 01:46 PM
What do you think of 1, 6 and 18?

sms316
17th July 2008, 01:49 PM
I stood on the 1st tee and waited for the green to clear. The pro got up me for waiting so I hit - and one hopped a drive into a guy who was putting.

The guy was filthy on me, but not as filthy he was on the pro after I explained.
:lol:

3oneday
17th July 2008, 01:52 PM
Is that the old 1st, or the new one ?

Dumb course, can't grow grass.

sms316
17th July 2008, 02:01 PM
Is that the old 1st, or the new one ?

Dumb course, can't grow grass.
It would be about 4 years ago. It was a dead straight 250m (??) par 4.

sms316
can't grow grass.

Isn't it owned by Italians? They can grow grass.

Scottt
The one with the tree in front of the green is the one I was thinking of.

sms316
17th July 2008, 02:03 PM
The one with the tree in front of the green is the one I was thinking of.
Must be the old one then, because I don't remember that.

sms316
17th July 2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.nswga.com.au/files/YUDM6GYWH8/Metro%20Open%20Days.rtf

Andrew
17th July 2008, 06:04 PM
What is your top 10, Andrew? Not just architecturally, say the same guidelines as for the "Top 100" lists.

Don’t forget, architecture is the thing that ‘hoists my flag’, but in trying to be even minded about it, considering condition & all round playability, these are courses that have some sort of Open competition (this is different to allowing unaccompanied play), even if only once a year.

I’ve listed these purely on personal enjoyment & not necessarily the ranking criteria I use to have to follow for Golf magazine.

Bonnie Doon – I’ve always had a soft spot for ‘The Doon’ & I hope they get to complete the re-design.
Concord – Once a year Open day just after Christmas.
Castle Hill – Apart from the overly long rounds, I’ve always enjoyed the extra room it has over the other north side courses.
St Michael’s – Could be so much better, but still enjoyable seaside golf.
Pymble – Newly instigated once a year open event through Golflink.
Monash - Newly instigated open events through Golflink
Twin Creeks – Dumb blonde, but enjoyable enough.
Camden Lakeside – At least the fairways are couch.
Long Reef – Bland layout, but I can’t resist seaside golf. Could have been better if they had chosen a decent architectural firm for the re-design many years ago.
Cumberland – Yes, I know, but they have done well with what they have got.

Close, but no cigar – Cromer, Macquarie Links & the triumvirate of Muirfield, Ryde-Parramatta & Oatlands.

When comparing Pymble, Killara, Monash, Elanora, Avondale & Pennant Hills; I actually prefer Avondale out of that lot, especially after the new work

virge666
18th July 2008, 08:50 AM
When comparing Pymble, Killara, Monash, Elanora, Avondale & Pennant Hills; I actually prefer Avondale out of that lot, especially after the new work

1-6 at Long Reef are some of my favourite holes. Also the finish is great fun.

I prefer the bigger greens at Elenora - adds that little extra to the nouse part of the game.

Monash is Gods waiting room - and what they do to the greens around open days and the Monash Masters is just awful.

Pennant Hills is a great course but bloody expensive. Nice to be on the M2.

Lastly Mona Vale is a good track - inhabited by some remarkably good players. Stefan G and Josh Lane included.

Craig_Syd
18th July 2008, 09:14 AM
I've played 80 courses in NSW. For me the top 10 in Sydney that you can play (if you have a handicap) with reasonable regularity would be

1. NSW
2. Terrey Hills
3. Avondale
4. St Mick's
5. Monash
6. Castle Hill
7. Bonnie Doon
8. Camden Lakeside
9. Long Reef
10. Riverside Oaks

There are definitely two or so I will have forgotten, and I'm not sure how accessible Terrey Hills is.
How would you regularly get onto NSW and Terrey Hills? The company I work for is a member at Terrey Hills and we still have trouble getting on. Would love to get onto NSW too but alas never have.

The top 5 apart from the big 4 in my view:

1. Terrey Hills
2. Elanora
3. Pymble
4. Camden Lakeside (just because there is never any bastard there and makes a great day out)
5. Bonnie Doon

And yes incase anybody is wondering my Avatar is me teeing off at 18 at Augusta National.

virge666
18th July 2008, 09:20 AM
And yes incase anybody is wondering my Avatar is me teeing off at 18 at Augusta National.

Isn't Photoshop wonderful !

;)

Craig_Syd
18th July 2008, 09:23 AM
Isn't Photoshop wonderful !

;)
Should I post some more.... Brother inlaw was assistant super.. 36holes June 2006.

Scottt
18th July 2008, 09:44 AM
How would you regularly get onto NSW and Terrey Hills? The company I work for is a member at Terrey Hills and we still have trouble getting on. Would love to get onto NSW too but alas never have.

Getting into NSW:

1. have a handicap
2. ring the pro shop
3. turn up (entry isn't really marked so this can be the hardest step)
4. pay the man $165.
5. Play golf.

Easy ;)

Scottt
18th July 2008, 09:45 AM
The company I work for is a member at Terrey Hills and we still have trouble getting on.

Your boss clearly doesn't like you very much.

Craig_Syd
18th July 2008, 09:52 AM
Wow, u learn something new everyday.... $165! hmmmm have to think about that one.

Craig_Syd
18th July 2008, 09:53 AM
Your boss clearly doesn't like you very much.
Yes, they make it harder than pulling teeth to get on.....

Scottt
18th July 2008, 10:03 AM
For $165 you also getn a course guide and a pair of NSWGC sock, and a few other bits and pieces.

virge666
18th July 2008, 10:33 AM
Should I post some more.... Brother inlaw was assistant super.. 36holes June 2006.

I take it back - lucky, lucky bastard !

:)

Craig_Syd
18th July 2008, 10:55 AM
I take it back - lucky, lucky bastard !

:)
I still grin like a chesire cat everytime I think of that day.....

marcel
18th July 2008, 01:21 PM
So you can get a game at Augusta but not NSW...**** me.

doesn't surprise me, some courses will let anyone on

Craig_Syd
18th July 2008, 01:37 PM
So you can get a game at Augusta but not NSW...**** me.
Also played some other great courses on that trip.... Place called The Honors Course in Tennessee... Unbelievable! And a course called Wade Hampton.. scary good in the blue ridge mountains North Carolina. Way better than Augusta...

Andrew
18th July 2008, 02:16 PM
I've played Wade Hampton. The best Fazio course I've ever played. Did you get on through a members invite ?

Surely you must have gone to Pinehurst while in the area ?

raidrboy
18th July 2008, 08:18 PM
Also played some other great courses on that trip.... Place called The Honors Course in Tennessee... Unbelievable! And a course called Wade Hampton.. scary good in the blue ridge mountains North Carolina. Way better than Augusta...

I know one of the assistant pro's at Wade Hampton Golf Club and like you said about the course being unbelievable is pretty close to the mark.

Craig_Syd
19th July 2008, 06:49 AM
I've played Wade Hampton. The best Fazio course I've ever played. Did you get on through a members invite ?

Surely you must have gone to Pinehurst while in the area ?
Nope, I know the Super..... Well my brother inlaw was an assistant Superintendent at Augusta. He is mates with Bailey the Super at Wade Hampton.
We were suppose to play Pinehurst but did not work out.... Hopefully we will get a chance in the near future.

Craig_Syd
19th July 2008, 06:50 AM
I know one of the assistant pro's at Wade Hampton Golf Club and like you said about the course being unbelievable is pretty close to the mark.
You are definitely correct, can't even begin to describe the scenery let alone the course......

Fishman Dan
19th July 2008, 09:03 AM
Photo in your avatar looks similar to the one in Australian Golf Digest, with the story of the bloke who broke in during the off-season to get a chance snap.

Andrew
19th July 2008, 11:28 AM
Nope, I know the Super..... Well my brother inlaw was an assistant Superintendent at Augusta. He is mates with Bailey the Super at Wade Hampton.
We were suppose to play Pinehurst but did not work out.... Hopefully we will get a chance in the near future.
Superintendents throughout the U.S. have a great network, especially those who add to the numbers every year at the Masters. Your brother-in-law probably knows supers at many great courses. Can I suggest you abuse your privilege as much as you can.
( Of course, I would never do this ;) :lol: )

I think your next trip should be to New York. Find out if he knows the supers at Garden City, N.G.L.A., Maidstone, Shinne****, Wing Foot, y’know, average goat tracks like that. If you liked Wade Hampton, you will not believe some of those courses.

Craig_Syd
21st July 2008, 08:55 AM
Photo in your avatar looks similar to the one in Australian Golf Digest, with the story of the bloke who broke in during the off-season to get a chance snap.
ok, I will put another one up....

Craig_Syd
21st July 2008, 09:01 AM
You are so right, and I am not ashamed to beg him to get me onto some good courses... Next on the list is Pine Valley, he has played there a couple of times... I am hoping it will be when he goes over for the masters in April.