PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Pymble

macjackass
15th July 2008, 03:49 PM
Anyone who has played at Pymble, what are your thoughts of the course?

3oneday
15th July 2008, 04:27 PM
Nice course, fast greens, not tough. A planners course. I played it once with 3 wood for the last 12 or 13 holes, probably don't need driver there at all I reckon.

sms316
15th July 2008, 04:43 PM
Well said. Keep the ball below the hole.

Grunt
15th July 2008, 06:56 PM
Is it totally private? Don't have any info on its Open days.

Moe Norman
15th July 2008, 07:25 PM
not a bad club, used to play there a bit when I had reciprocals.

Seems to be one of the more private courses in Sydney.

The track is above average

TS
15th July 2008, 07:39 PM
Is it totally private? Don't have any info on its Open days.

No Open days. Been thinking about joining there as it is 2 minutes from my house. But didn't want to pay 10K joining fee and then 3800 sub a year.

Andrew
15th July 2008, 08:48 PM
The major reno work that has been done has given the greens a little more spice regarding internal movement. I've always found courses like Pymble, Avondale, Elanora, Killara etc. difficult to separate & now with Pym & Av redesigned by Ross Watson, Elanora redesigned by James Wilcher (who seemed to copy everything Ross Watson did) & Killara soon to be worked on by Cashmore & Co., every course on the north side of Sydney is going to look the same.

In saying that, it's a reasonable course by Sydney standards, although that still doesn't get it into any top 100 lists anymore.

Boonie
16th July 2008, 09:45 AM
It's exclusivity, cost and reputation has very little to do with the course. It's all about it's location and status of membership.

Nice clubhouse with a great view out over the course, which drops away from the road/clubhouse sharply. You work up and down the hill quite a few times, and some of the doglegs are reasonably claustrophobic. Conversely the straight holes are quite open. It's a weird mix.

Greens are smallish, but as others have said, can be very severe and quick. Ball must be left under the hole.

There are some interesting greens, but IMO there really isn't one hole that I would call a very good golf hole, and there are 4 or 5 shockers.

Not even close to top 100 IMO, and a decent public course at best if you were judging it on course alone.

Andrew
16th July 2008, 10:56 AM
Not even close to top 100 IMO, and a decent public course at best if you were judging it on course alone.

Boonie,

Would it struggle into a Top 50 Melbourne/Mornington/Bellarine list?

My personal opinion would be ‘No’, but you would have a better idea of any lesser courses down that way it might beat.

Craig_Syd
16th July 2008, 12:20 PM
One of my favourite courses in the North of Sydney only because I seem to play well there each time I play. I played there once years ago in the old Sun Herald match play and fell in love. Only turn off for me was the elitest attitude in the club house. I play Elanora quite a bit over the past year and that stands well above Pymble in my opinion.

Grunt
16th July 2008, 04:32 PM
Just saw on Golflink that there is an Open Day there on the 28th July
$85 includes green fees, snacks & Drinks.

macjackass
16th July 2008, 04:37 PM
Grant, that's the reason why I was interested. My old man and a few friends played a seniors thing there, Pennant Hills, Manly and Avondale a few weeks ago and said Pymble was def worth a round.

Grunt
16th July 2008, 04:46 PM
Would have been interested in playing there if I was not working.

3oneday
16th July 2008, 04:49 PM
Probably make you play off the Ladies or something snooty !

sms316
16th July 2008, 05:08 PM
It's a nice enough course that is usually in good nick. It would probably rank 10-15 amongst Sydney courses. Plenty of worse courses around.

Andrew
16th July 2008, 05:42 PM
It would probably rank 10-15 amongst Sydney courses. Plenty of worse courses around.

Yeah, like I said, it wouldn't rank Top 50 in a Melbourne/Mornington/Bellarine list. :lol:

Boonie
16th July 2008, 09:37 PM
Boonie,

Would it struggle into a Top 50 Melbourne/Mornington/Bellarine list?

My personal opinion would be ‘No’, but you would have a better idea of any lesser courses down that way it might beat.

Yeah, it would struggle. Definitely would not be top 30 in Melb/Morn/Bell.

It would be borderline to make the top 20 public access tracks in Vic

sms316
17th July 2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah, like I said, it wouldn't rank Top 50 in a Melbourne/Mornington/Bellarine list. :lol:

I don't think anyone is going to argue with you. It's nice enough, but nothing mindblowing.