PDA

View Full Version : Ping G2 Full Round Demo

nudgee
10th November 2004, 03:43 PM
I had a good old bash with the boys today at Nudgee. I had originally intended to just take my 3 wood and no driver as it is been tinkered with but when I was in the pro shop I saw a demo G2 with NV regular shaft 10* and thought what the heck I will give this beast a real full round bash.

I had a few warm up swings at the range and first impressions were:

1. wow still cant get over how big this driver is
2. I was hitting the ball extremely high but relatively straight and longish
3. Very chinky sound at impact very unlike R7 Tour and 510 TP Tour and 300 Tour

Anyway decided to keep playing with it and I must say that the first four drives were longish and straight (and high) - I will say at this point that Richard (eags) had outdriven me on the second and we both crunched our drives (Eags now has a 300 Tour). Maa Richard was on fire with JArro's old 300 Tour.

I tried to draw it and I tried to fade it and nuthin!! This thing would just go straight - on the fitfth swing I really tried to draw it and snap hooked it :cry: So I decided to just hit the bloody thing straight. I hit most fairways and when I missed them I was only in the rough. I even cut the corner on the 17th by a long way.

Overall I dont think the shaft flex suited me but I did get some good results with it - I would have loved to have a go at one of these with a nice heavier shaft like an NV 75S. This driver is very good in keeping the ball straight which is probably the best feature of it. It is not the longest out there but it is certainly accurate.

For me and IMHO I am still not convinced with this driver - I just can get over the size of it - I feel very uncomfortable with it. I have no confidence that I can work it when I have to. I also did not like the sound of it, it felt too chinky and not solid like a lot of other drivers I have had in the past. Maybe I am been to anal with this beast but to me feeling comfortable with a driver is a must - comfortable=confidence=better performance.

I can see where all the hype is coming from but this driver is just not for me. However for the price and the stock shaft options, if size doesnt matter you then this is certainly a go'er.

For me size matters :wink:

Gazgolf you are going to be deadly accurate with your G2!!! :shock:

McMw
10th November 2004, 05:30 PM
out of the negatives that was posted in that....I would see them as a positive!!! :)

it only wants to go straight....that's abt the best news for anyone!!! :lol:

goughy
10th November 2004, 05:39 PM
Cool report nudgee. You swinging a regular shaft :shock: Your hands would almost be at impact position and the clubhead would still be behind your head :shock:

A new driver for me will have to wait to next year, and this will be one of the ones I'll try. But for once I'm gonna take my time and try a lot of stuff and shafts out. But if I can hit it straight I'll take it, I won't worry about it looking like a hummer on the end of a straw.

I still can't believe you played a round with a regular shaft. Wicked.

If anyone wants an nv75 stiff shaft I've got a pullout lying around.

Onewood
10th November 2004, 08:40 PM
Definately not the longest driver I've seen you hit, I even got within 10mts of you once :shock: I think the day went to the TM's though :D

Jarro
10th November 2004, 08:47 PM
I think the day went to the TM's though :D

they were on fire weren't they :wink:

i think Nudgee hit the G2 OK, considering it only had an R flex NV in it

3oneday
15th November 2004, 07:41 AM
i think Nudgee hit the G2 OK, considering it only had an R flex NV in it
Goes to show the subtle differences in .335 tip and a .350 tip. 350 makes the shaft that little bit stiffer, if it was too flexible for the swing, they would have been heading left all day, there wouldn't have been a need to try and hit a hook.

Maybe the shaft was one of those where the R was maybe an S ?? I guess that's the risk with mass producing.

Pete