PDA

View Full Version : releasing

welshy
13th July 2008, 10:07 PM
Are there any good practice drills to get your release right? Had a lightbulb moment earlier and realised I am not releasing the club correctly hence my tendency to block em short and right.....

sms316
14th July 2008, 09:24 AM
Swing parallel to the ground.

markTHEblake
14th July 2008, 06:11 PM
Fix your backswing so you dont have a release problem

virge666
14th July 2008, 06:21 PM

fix your release so you don't have a problem in the backswing...

welshy
14th July 2008, 07:11 PM
:p thanks for the insight guys, guess u have the same issue

Choppa
14th July 2008, 08:58 PM

Please explain Mark? What is the link between backswing and releasing?

virge666
14th July 2008, 09:05 PM
:p thanks for the insight guys, guess u have the same issue

Releasing the club is the holy grail of golf. Some people call it training the hands..

It is not something you learn in a golf forum . . . sorry.

If you are in Sydney - come to a ozGolf game and I can help but other than reading Ben Hogan 5 lessons . . . you will struggle to learn much.

FWIW - Backswing has little to do with the release. I think Mark is just having a lend. You only have to look at the myriad of different backswings out there on tour to see this.

Enjoy

markTHEblake
14th July 2008, 09:31 PM
Please explain Mark? What is the link between backswing and releasing?

No Lend. Disclaimer removed.

Your backswing places the club (and your body) into a position at the top, right?

If this position is fundamentally correct, and your first move down is also correct, you cant do anything else wrong, (off the top of my head this is very Hogan) it all just happens from there.

If you are consciously having to do something in the downswing, then that is a compensation for the earlier faults. Many golfers play quite well with compensations, on days when their timing is on. But what about the bad days?

Golf is hard enough as it is, why try new compensations to override existing compensations, which are overriding faults. Fix the fault first, much easier.

Virge is right, there are many varied backswings on tour, but you will probably find that most great golfers are fundamentally the same at the top of the backswing.

Thus my point : fix the backswing so your position at the top is fundamentally correct. Then your release will happen naturally.

addamsmith
15th July 2008, 07:51 PM
Hi Welshy
This is a great drill by Steve Bishop
If you read the feedback this drill has helped with Blocks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvet1EmSS7Q
Regards
Addam

addamsmith
15th July 2008, 07:58 PM
Also Welshy
This is a great video which shows a fantastic way that I use in lessons using a glove and a tee to help with your release
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpN0IP_RwJk
Hope one of these help
Addam