PDA

View Full Version : Aust v NZ, 1st Test, Gabba

AndyP
10th November 2004, 11:10 AM
Lehmann in, Katich out ... again (http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/NOV/098846_AUS_09NOV2004.html)

November 9, 2004

Simon Katich has lost a close call for the final batting place to Darren Lehmann for the first Test against New Zealand at the Gabba, starting on November 18. Katich, who filled in for the injured Ricky Ponting at No. 3 in India, was dropped as the selectors recalled Lehmann and retained Michael Clarke.

Shane Warne's broken thumb has healed well enough for him to replace the offspinner Nathan Hauritz in the 12-man squad. Warne missed the final Test at Mumbai when he was injured in the nets, but he has taken 75 wickets at 25 against New Zealand and expects to play with minimal pain. Brett Lee, who will bowl for New South Wales against the tourists tomorrow, was also selected.

Katich is the loser for the second time this year after being cut for the all-round skills of Andrew Symonds in the first two Tests in Sri Lanka. The calmest of the top order in India, Katich scored 276 runs at 39.42, including 99 in the second innings at Nagpur. "We have every faith in Simon, and are very confident that he will play in the Australian Test team again in the not too distant future," Trevor Hohns, the chairman of selectors, said. "He has done very well on those occasions when he has been called upon, and it was a very hard decision to make."

Hohns said the form of Lehmann, the stand-in vice-captain when Ponting was absent, had been consistent over the past 12 months while Clarke was rewarded for his 400 runs at 57.14 in his first four Tests. "Darren is a highly-respected, experienced campaigner and is still our preferred choice at this stage, as long as his injured hamstring is fully recovered." Lehmann limped off during the third match of the series at Nagpur and will have to pass a fitness test to play in Brisbane.

Nathan Hauritz, who took five wickets on debut including Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman in the second innings at Mumbai, performed well in India, but Hohns said "it was only natural" that Warne would return.

Australia Ricky Ponting (c), Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Damien Martyn, Darren Lehmann (subject to fitness), Michael Clarke, Shane Warne, Jason Gillespie, Michael Kasprowicz, Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee.

------------

Interesting decision to drop Katich over Lehmann, not that I am upset it.

Don't know why they keep bothering with Lee. Send him back to the Pura Cup so he can at least have a bowl. Tait might be a better option anyway, until Lee proves himself.

I'm glad that Warney will be playing up here, as we have missed him a few times at the Gabba. :cool:

3oneday
10th November 2004, 12:03 PM
Andy,

Maybe they should drop Martyn instead :P :P

:lol:

Pete

Jarro
10th November 2004, 12:13 PM
i really think they stuffed up here, katich should have held his place in my opinion :?

AndyP
10th November 2004, 12:19 PM
Maybe they should drop Martyn instead :P :P

I'm prepared to be patient, and wait for his next failure. :wink:

Who were you dropping then, jarro? Lehmann?

Jarro
10th November 2004, 12:43 PM
Who were you dropping then, jarro? Lehmann?

yep. i think Lehman is ready to go. If he was saying that he would gladly step down rather than take the place of a young up'n'comer .. then he's not in the right frame of mind mentally .. he's having doubts :? He's played well in India, as have most of the batsman .. but i think it might be time for him to give it away.

AndyP
10th November 2004, 01:22 PM
yep. i think Lehman is ready to go. If he was saying that he would gladly step down rather than take the place of a young up'n'comer .. then he's not in the right frame of mind mentally .. he's having doubts :?
I think you will find that those weren't his words, and the media made more of it than what it actually was.

I thought Lehmann might go as well, thus ending his test career.

Jarro
10th November 2004, 08:06 PM
is anyone going to any(all) of the days play here in Brissy :?:

i was thinking i wouldn't mind going along for a squiz ... drink some warm beers and run across the field 8)

markTHEblake
10th November 2004, 10:43 PM
not advisable Jarro, appareently your all shrivelled up.

McMw
10th November 2004, 11:41 PM
so how's the media rating the kiwi's chances???
we expecting a decent series this time around???

Iain
11th November 2004, 04:02 AM

i was thinking i wouldn't mind going along for a squiz ... drink some warm beers and run across the field 8)
I'd be keen Jarro, give me a call and we can compare roster's..... :roll: :roll:

Iain

Jarro
11th November 2004, 06:57 AM

I'd be keen Jarro, give me a call and we can compare roster's..... :roll: :roll:

Iain

will do :smt023

AndyP
11th November 2004, 08:04 AM

I will be there on the Saturday, which I doubt would suit you shift workers.

I will also be sitting in the Gabba Trust area (best seats in the house), which won't allow you hooligans in anyway. :P

-----

Has anyone been practicing there 15° arm bend bowl, now that they have changed the rules?
Although, apparently most of us were chucking the ball before anyway. :roll:

Jarro
11th November 2004, 11:00 AM
Has anyone been practicing there 15° arm bend bowl, now that they have changed the rules?
Although, apparently most of us were chucking the ball before anyway. :roll:

did anyone see Ricky Ponting on Sunrise this morning :?: they were talking about Murali and his action ..... punter was less than impressed with the new rule change :x

when are they gonna bite the bullet and just ban Murali full-stop :!:

Fishman Dan
11th November 2004, 11:07 AM
Dunno - is there a word in Tamil for "f'ken cheat"? I think until they work out these little mis-translations, we will continue to see these confusing issues occurring.

:roll:

AndyP
11th November 2004, 11:09 AM
when are they gonna bite the bullet and just ban Murali full-stop :!:
Quite the opposite. Isn't his doosra allowed now?
Dirty little Motherchucker. :x

BTW jarro, what do you want to go to the test for? You're a big pyjama cricket fan. Might be a bit boring for you, mate. :wink:

Jarro
11th November 2004, 11:22 AM
BTW jarro, what do you want to go to the test for? You're a big pyjama cricket fan. Might be a bit boring for you, mate. :wink:

i'm a cricket fan full-stop AndyP .... i'll watch any form of cricket :wink:

Bruce
11th November 2004, 12:11 PM
With the Doosra now back in play, Murali has continued work on his "Eeti" * delivery.

Having lobbied to change the rules on straightening to 15* there is no reason to suggest that further lobbying will not allow further straightening. It is common knowledge that most bowlers straighten their arm by as much as 120* but only Murali gets singled out because of his success. The Eeti is coming along really well. I saw him practicing it yesterday and he hit double top 4 out of every 6 deliveries.

The ICC have set up a further investigative panel and have referred the question of adding flights to the ball to their rules committee.

*Eeti is tamil for Javelin (I am told)

AndyP
16th November 2004, 12:02 PM
This supposed "nice guy" really is a nasty piece of work. :x
http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/NOV/102470_AUS_15NOV2004.html
He figures he has got the green light to say whatever he wants now.

McGrath has picked this season's "target". :roll: I'm a bit over this now.
http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/NOV/102470_AUS_15NOV2004.html

The way the Kiwis went against NSW, Saturday may be the last day's play.

Jarro
16th November 2004, 02:31 PM
i wouldn't underestimate the kiwis AndyP .. they always lift when they play against us .. i'm tipping it to be a pretty close series :wink:

AndyP
18th November 2004, 12:01 PM
i wouldn't underestimate the kiwis AndyP .. they always lift when they play against us .. i'm tipping it to be a pretty close series :wink:
Aussies in control in the first session: 2/67

Jarro, I think the Aussies may have underestimated the Kiwis previously. They will have learnt from that.

Although I hope Martyn struggles against the Kiwis again like he did last time. Fleming has him figured out. :twisted:

McMw
18th November 2004, 12:03 PM
Although I hope Martyn struggles against the Kiwis again like he did last time. Fleming has him figured out. :twisted:

:smt021 [-X

Jarro
18th November 2004, 04:19 PM
geez the kiwi bowling attack looks pretty thin :? i think the Aussie batsman are licking their lips already .. won't be long now, 6/206 .. the kiwis won't be in much longer 8)

McMw
18th November 2004, 11:31 PM
Bowling O M R W
McGrath 22 3 56 0 (2nb)
Gillespie 22 6 61 1
Kasprowicz 20 5 54 3 (2nb)
Warne 22 2 65 2 (1w)
Lehmann 4 0 12 0

when was the last time McGrath went wicketless the whole day??? :shock:

I know it's happen a few (rare) times....and he's always come back the next day with a vengance....
here's hoping for a quick end to the NZ innings tomorrow morning...

AndyP
19th November 2004, 08:58 AM
I'm hoping that the Aussies knock them over this morning, then start to rack up a big total (Martyn gets a duck). Then declare sometime tomorrow (while I am there), and then get stuck into their top order by the end of the day.

All to maximise my viewing pleasure, of course. :wink:

Did any of you other gents decide if you were going or not?

when was the last time McGrath went wicketless the whole day???
As long as the other bowlers are taking wickets, I'm sure he wouldn't be too worried about having a wicketless day.

Fishman Dan
19th November 2004, 11:19 AM
Ponting is dead set a terrible captain.

From 5/138 to 8/300+ - this tactic of bowling Warne until he explodes is ridiculous. He's not finding edges or creating chances, and now the No.10 has carved him over Long Off.

I've said it before, i'll say it again - Michael "The Future of Australian Cricket" Clarke will dig us out of the hole that Ricky Ponting will create for us.

AndyP
19th November 2004, 11:35 AM
Ninth wicket gone, Warney got it.

Isn't bloody annoying when the tail just won't get out?

Odds of the Aussies playing golf on Monday have now gone out.

Jarro
19th November 2004, 02:52 PM
Aussies are 1 for at tea, and the Kiwis are doing a fair job of slowing the run rate.

I can smell a tied test coming on.

Jarro
19th November 2004, 03:04 PM
shit :!: :shock:

..Aussies are now 2/85 .. Marto is the new man.

Can he pull us outta the shit :?:

AndyP
19th November 2004, 03:07 PM

Langer is now another step closer to being dropped. 8)

Fishman Dan
19th November 2004, 03:09 PM

Langer's not getting dropped... who for - Matthew Elliott?? :lol:

Besides, i think Hayden is the one failing more consistently than anyone else.

Bring back SLATS!

[Hmm, kiss of death?]

Jarro
19th November 2004, 03:10 PM

i doubt that, he and Hayden will be our openers for a long time yet 8)

take a look at their stats when batting together, pretty impressive.

AndyP
19th November 2004, 03:15 PM
Stats don't mean everything. Anyone can see that Langer is struggling.

How do their recent stats look, anyway?

Fishman Dan
19th November 2004, 03:19 PM

AP, you're the only person i know on this blatant anti-Langer charge. I think the red mist is clouding your eyes. I think he'd have to fail all season long to be in any danger, while Hayden goes on to make big scores.

Hayden didn't make any runs on the Indian tour, he needs a big score soon before the media start yapping.

AndyP
19th November 2004, 03:22 PM

AP, you're the only person i know on this blatant anti-Langer charge. I think the red mist is clouding your eyes. I think he'd have to fail all season long to be in any danger, while Hayden goes on to make big scores.

Hayden didn't make any runs on the Indian tour, he needs a big score soon before the media start yapping.
Fair enough, drop both. :mrgreen:

Jarro
19th November 2004, 03:28 PM

currently Langer averages 43.96 Hayden 55.82

they currently sit in 9th position in the all-time leading opening partnership stats

67 innings, 3896 runs at an average of 59.03

not too shabby 8)

McMw
19th November 2004, 03:42 PM
if it was AP's choice...the whole !@#$ing test team would have all NSW players... :roll:

3 for 100odd....
not loooking good now....esp with Marto still at the crease... :roll:

Jarro
19th November 2004, 03:44 PM
GO MARTO :D

AndyP
19th November 2004, 03:57 PM
if it was AP's choice...the whole !@#$ing test team would have all NSW players... :roll:

Pfffft, hardly. :roll:
Why the hell would I want that?

currently Langer averages 43.96 Hayden 55.82
That's selective.
So it's stats you want.

Averages before this test (career/last 10 tests):
Future-boy 57.14 57.14
Gilly 50.72 30.22
Haydos 55.82 45.60
Katich 41.10 43.47
Gnome 43.96 42.15
Lehmann 48.02 52.52
Martyn 48.10 51.35
Punter 53.58 67.55
Love 46.60

Katich has the lowest for career - not in the side.
Gilchrist has lowest in last 10 - wicketkeeper.
Look who's next on both counts. :wink:

Another one down. :(

McMw
19th November 2004, 05:32 PM
it's early, but looks like a draw???

AndyP
20th November 2004, 07:43 AM
I'm really looking forward to watching future boy bat today. Hope the boys can stay in a bit longer so I can see some good cricket, and yes that includes Martyn. :wink:

I think you guys are calling a draw way too early, you should know that the Aussies will attack, and go for a result. But we'll have to wait and see what the weather does.

Fishman Dan
20th November 2004, 09:37 AM
All i can say is - Michael "The Future of Australian Cricket" Clark. What a star. Move over Punter, the future is here..

Jarro
20th November 2004, 02:12 PM
yeah Michael Clark is looking the goods alright .. probably the brightest star on the horizon in Australian cricket 8)

Jarro
20th November 2004, 05:05 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Glenn McGrath has just scored his first test 50 ..... =D>

.. if that's not rubbing the Kiwis nose in it, i don't know what is 8)

Courty
20th November 2004, 05:15 PM
Glenn McGrath has just scored his first test 50 .....

Go the beanstalk!

Jarro
20th November 2004, 05:19 PM
Glenn McGrath has just scored his first test 50 .....

Go the beanstalk!

did you see it :?: he actually looked like a real batsman for a change :roll:

i hope Dizzy gets his half-ton as well, he's batted really well for a while now.

McMw
20th November 2004, 08:13 PM
just what they needed from Marto....solidness in the middle order, so that gilly and the future could whack the bowling apart.... :D

I almost fell off my seat when I saw 54* next to McGrath....
the kiwis should hang their head in shame!!! :roll:

boring draw coming up...

McMw
20th November 2004, 08:15 PM
Michael "The Future of Australian Cricket" Clark. What a star.

it's gonna be one HUGE THUD..... :wink:

AndyP
20th November 2004, 09:18 PM
Wow, what a fantastic day at the cricket! :D \:D/

Was a bit worried at the start, when Marto played a really stupid shot (surprise, surprise :roll: ) and threw away his wicket, when the Aussies still had a lot of work to do.

Then Future-Boy took over. He is absolutely awesome. Just a joy to watch. The way he brought up his century scoring 11 off the last over, and a four off the last ball, was fantastic stuff.

Gilly as usual was entertaining. He was a bit scratchy, but he hit a couple of big sixes, and got a score that he was overdue to get.

Unfortunately they also threw their wickets away in the end, and it looked like the Aussies lead wouldn't extend too far over 100. But then we had the Gillespie and McGrath show.

McGrath getting his maiden 50 was fantastic (could be his maiden 100 yet :wink:). It was bloody funny watching him make the Kiwis look like fools, and we loved it when he smashed Vettori for 6. Sensational stuff.

What a memorable day for me at the Gabba.

:D :smt023

boring draw coming up...
Are you serious? :shock:

Two days of play left and the Aussies have a lead of 211.
Let's assume the Aussies don't extend their lead, then get the Kiwis out for 350 again (I doubt they would get this much), in about 4 sessions. This would leave Australia only 140 to chase in two sessions. Hardly a tough ask.

AndyP
20th November 2004, 09:34 PM
Interview with Ooo-Ahhh after his 50 (http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/NOV/106818_AUS_20NOV2004.html)
The crowd really got into it. I'm still pumped about it.

McMw
20th November 2004, 10:39 PM
you're right....I forgot to factor in McGrath's 50....

he'll want a bag of wickets so that he can challenge Clarke for MOM honours... :D

McMw
21st November 2004, 01:26 PM
Odds of the Aussies playing golf on Monday have now gone out.

they're doing their best to make sure they get a hit tomorrow....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iain
21st November 2004, 02:03 PM
boring draw coming up...

I can smell a tied test coming on.
What was that again boys...... :P :P

Well played to the Aussies, really got stuck into the batting line up of the Kiwi's.

Iain

AndyP
21st November 2004, 02:04 PM
they're doing their best to make sure they get a hit tomorrow....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have you jumped off the draw bandwagon now? :razz:

All over. NZ out for 76. :shock: An innings and 156 run win. The Kiwis have been crushed. :D

Jarro
21st November 2004, 02:43 PM
well, what a bummer. I just rushed home from work in the hope that i'd at least get to see some cricket ... but it's all over :(

great win to the Aussies ... like APH said, they were crushed :!:

wonder what's in store for the next test :?: :?

Courty
21st November 2004, 03:30 PM

More of the same!

AndyP
21st November 2004, 06:24 PM
More of the same!
Yeah, it's hard to see what the Kiwis could do to turn things around. I think the first couple of days was just bad play on Australia's part.

They might regain a strike bowler, but how good can he be?

Jarro
21st November 2004, 07:31 PM

More of the same!

i think so too .... 8)

the Kiwis strike bowlers are all injured, so i can't see them hassling the Aussie batsman too much on the Adelaide wicket :roll:

McMw
21st November 2004, 08:15 PM
Have you jumped off the draw bandwagon now? :razz:

All over. NZ out for 76. :shock: An innings and 156 run win. The Kiwis have been crushed. :D

I just call it as I see it....nothing wrong with that isit?!?!? :wink:

only 36 overs required.....pathetic.... :roll:

AndyP
26th February 2008, 09:44 PM
Aaaah, the memories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po0GE27bWi8

It's still probably the most enjoyable day of cricket I've been to.