PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Speciality Shot?

macleod
10th November 2004, 11:23 AM
I was doing some chipping around the office this morning, and was using a special little shot i picked up from a jack nicklaus column ages ago...i completly forgot i used to use it a bit around the greens back when i wasn't missing by 50m short right.

And of course got to wondering if there were any speciality shots that Ozgolfers each use themselves that they like/pull off regularly in their arsenal of shots.

the shot for when you are short sided on the fringe, tight pin and you need a delicate chip that is high and lots of spin., usually jerks right. good with high spin balls i'd found...but i hadn't used it in ages.

Basically he address the ball with the club face slight closed, a u type sand swing motion cutting across the ball to an open club face. It pops it up high with plenty of spin. it's a neat little pop shot and fun to do to boot especially in the office over stuff. i guess it's like a chip-flop...

What's your favourite specailty shot?

ie. Nudgee's TP iron stinger shot..

Fishman Dan
10th November 2004, 11:44 AM
The 2' putt that does a lap of honour.

Ona
10th November 2004, 12:07 PM
low hard snap hook recovery from under trees that needs to cover some distance before it turns

BrisVegas
10th November 2004, 12:21 PM
The 3 wood of Doom (not my term, blame ozmacelod). Close the face, aim at the right side trees, and belt the snot out of it. :lol: Usually draws about 20 metres in the air, then lands with plenty of roll. Great way to get some extra yardage with 3 wood and still feel pretty confident of hitting the fairway. Can also be applied to 3 iron tee shots as well, on short holes.

McMw
10th November 2004, 12:27 PM
low punch slicer with the 3 iron (usually from behind trees)... :oops: :lol:
do it well, and I might get the ball to travel only 10yards off the ground, and 20yard slice...(it's only a punch shot)...

markTHEblake
10th November 2004, 12:27 PM
The deliberate fade with fairway wood or long iron, that starts out on target and draws about 5 metres. Works every time.

Jarro
10th November 2004, 01:37 PM
do it well, and I might get the ball to travel only 10yards off the ground, and 20yard slice...(it's only a punch shot)...

i love those shots too 8)

did one at Caboolture the other day.. worked a treat :D

davidp
10th November 2004, 02:05 PM
Favourite trick shot is the one that goes where I aim and the distance I want. :oops:

I like hitting a lob wedge chip to a tight pin using the Jonathan Byrd method. Take the club back low and slide it under then ball rather than a full swing. The ball pops high and stops dead.

drunken
10th November 2004, 03:05 PM

i love those shots too 8)

did one at Caboolture the other day.. worked a treat :D

Yup my fav as well. Punch it hard with the 3 iron from in the trees and slice it back onto target. Never getting more than a few metres off the ground.

Actually thinking about maybe i should just punch all my shots..... :-k

gazgolf1
10th November 2004, 04:13 PM
Low chip with a lob wedge that bounces once and then throws out the anchor.....hopefully somewhere near the pin. :wink:

nudgee
10th November 2004, 04:49 PM
My favourite trick shot is the one I use when I am in trouble in the trees and I see a gap about 0.5 square metres and stupidly aim for it thinking I am Tiger woods - give it a rip and see it rocket like a bullet through an even smaller gap big enough to fit a golf ball.

Then turn to my golfing partner as if to say "yep just as I planned it".

Hmmmm reminiscing of the one I played this morning with Jarro looking :wink:

macleod
10th November 2004, 04:55 PM
:D i always seem to find the gaps i wasn't aiming at as well.

how'd that one end up, on the green pin high? ;)

i seem to try punch shots a lot as well being constantly in the trees....gailes was excellent for that kind of constant practise..

Jarro
10th November 2004, 07:09 PM
My favourite trick shot is the one I use when I am in trouble in the trees and I see a gap about 0.5 square metres and stupidly aim for it thinking I am Tiger woods - give it a rip and see it rocket like a bullet through an even smaller gap big enough to fit a golf ball.

Then turn to my golfing partner as if to say "yep just as I planned it".

Hmmmm reminiscing of the one I played this morning with Jarro looking :wink:

you are a freak mate :shock: there is NO WAY you should have been able to hit the ball through that gap in the trees :smt017

senecio
10th November 2004, 10:34 PM
A low checking pitch from inside 40 metres.

52° Gap wedge played off the back foot using a lot of wrist ****. You hit it and your partners think that you've hit it thin and expect it bounce through the green. First bounce it skips forward a bit, then on go the brakes with the second bounce.

It makes me smile every time :D

Ryan

Onewood
11th November 2004, 10:58 AM
Absolutely the slicing, backspinning putt.
The putter gets taken away towards 4th slip and follows through to mid wicket ensuring the blade is flat at impact but coming thru at 45* slice angle.

Most putts go in and it freaks the hell out of playing partners. 8)

Anybody seen Jim Furyk's swing style. it's one of a kind,

Well this putting style mentioned above is also one of a kind :D

BrisVegas
11th November 2004, 11:38 AM
Absolutely the slicing, backspinning putt.
The putter gets taken away towards 4th slip and follows through to mid wicket ensuring the blade is flat at impact but coming thru at 45* slice angle.

Most putts go in and it freaks the hell out of playing partners. 8)

I always thought you putted like Billy Mayfair. I was wrong. According to Bob Rotella, Billy Mayfair thinks he is swinging the putter back and through, along the line.... You, on the other hand, know you are slicing the crap out of it, yet continue to do it....

You rock! 8) :lol: :P

AndyP
11th November 2004, 12:05 PM
According to Bob Rotella
Another OZgolfer preaching Dr Bob. 8) :wink:

Go with what's comfortable, g69.

If that's our theme then, my specialty shot is the lofted putt. Apparently I get a bit of air on the ball when I putt. I've never noticed, but you all tell me I do. :smt102

The ball still goes towards the hole, so I ain't changing. [-(

This comes in handy for getting putts off the fringe or around the greens without getting held up too much. :mrgreen:

Jarro
11th November 2004, 12:06 PM
you just need a new putter dickie :wink: :lol:

macleod
11th November 2004, 12:09 PM
he's right, they are still great putts and you can't argue with results.

you've got the landing and roll out judged perfectly. i think if you went with an moi putter you might start misjudging.

you can have a go with mine on satday, those northlakes should have been slowed a smidge by these downpours.