PDA

View Full Version : Project X flex guide

Courty
5th July 2008, 10:15 PM
There has been some discussion in various threads about the Project X shafts and their flexes. I was just doing some browsing and saw this:

http://www.royalprecision.com/images/fitting_chart_projx.gif

markTHEblake
5th July 2008, 10:54 PM
that chart suggests i should be hitting my 6 irons further.
my fault for overlofting them i suppose (is that the opposite of delofting?)

Grunt
6th July 2008, 07:43 AM
Guess the distances are in yards?

Courty
6th July 2008, 07:43 AM
Correct

Grunt
6th July 2008, 07:45 AM
So the distances are roughly take 10% off, that correct too?

Courty
6th July 2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.calculateme.com/Length/Yards/ToMeters.htm

oz
6th July 2008, 10:02 AM
I just had my SS measured with a 6 iron. Avg. 90-92 mph. I hit my 6 iron about 160m.

I wouldn't even dream of going to 6.5's, and probably wouldn't play 6.0's either. I actually play 5.5's (in flighted rifle lite - not Project X's), and was recently thinking I should go softer.

After the SS test, and hitting a PX5.0, i won't be going softer, but I doubt I could go much firmer either.

That is interesting Courty, what was the source? Precision golf?

Courty
6th July 2008, 10:05 AM
That is interesting Courty, what was the source? Precision golf?

http://www.royalprecision.com/precision_steel_projectx.html

virge666
6th July 2008, 11:57 AM
Sorry to do this to you guys, but swing speed is only a minor part of shaft selection, what is more important is how you release the clubhead and shaft.

Swing speed is what they publish on websites as a "guide" to what shafts you shoudl use... but to be honest, you are selling yourself short if this is your benchmark.

Some people load the shaft early, some people load the shaft late, some people unload and release and others hang on, the combinations go on and on.

You can have a 90mph swing speed with an early release and need REG shafts. You can have a 85mph swing speed with a steep approach to the ball and a late release and need X flex shafts. In fact if you hands are behind the ball at impact - you are better off with X flex or 6.5 rifles as the ball will goo too high.

You can ask any decent clubfitter this - from Tom Wishon to the lads at tthe Professional Clubfitters Society, they will all say the same thing. Video is a much better way of matching shaft flex, and some of the newer load measuring tools that are being used by clubfitters are even better.

Please do not select your shafts on swing speed only - you are selling yourself short. Use Video at least.

Enjoy

3oneday
6th July 2008, 12:57 PM
Well said.

Captain Nemo
6th July 2008, 01:04 PM
I agree!
After my session at the Callaway Fitting Centre here in Sydney I was surprised!
The readings suggested i need Project x flighted 6.0.
I've played most stiff shafts on the market but would never have thought i would be 6.0 in a heavier shaft!
Just goes to show that proper fitting can make a difference.

markTHEblake
6th July 2008, 01:18 PM
Some people load the shaft early, some people load the shaft late, some people unload and release and others hang on, the combinations go on and on.

yup. my 5i speed is 93mph, but the bloke fitting me assessed the RSSI at 88mph, and specced out my clubs accordingly.