PDA

View Full Version : Can you shoot -6 with only 6 greens in regulation?

jaster
14th May 2004, 03:46 PM
I am a big fan of Bob Rotella, got all his books and have read them several times but this is the best advice I have ever read. Sorry it is long but if you take your time and have a few drinks and a wee break you could really get something out of this...I know I have.

Here's something I pulled off GEA last year that Rotella says you need to shoot a -6 with only 6 greens in regulation. Thought you would enjoy the read.

I spent a day with Bob Rotella last December. One of those late-year, warm lovely days, great for golf. It was quite an experience.
He started out wanting to know why I was there, what my goals in golf were. I told him that I had played between 2-5 handicap for 30+ years, was stuck around a 3.5 index or so at present, wanted to get to scratch, and wanted to get back into at least some competitive golf, after not having done so since college (graduated '71).
He wanted to know what kind of game I played: how often did I play and practice, how far did I hit it, how many fairways hit per round, GIR, putts, up-and-down, scoring average, all of that. I told him I averaged playing twice/week, practiced for maybe an hour three other times per week. I told him I hit it 260-280 off the tee in normal conditions, depending on how well I made contact. At the time, my average for the year (1999) was 9.5 FW, 10.5 GIR, 35.1 putts/round, with a scoring average of 80.1, always from the tips, over maybe 15 different courses. I wasn't at that time keeping track of up-and-downs. I told him all this, and his reaction was both interesting and lengthy. Summarizing, hopefully without missing the essence of his thoughts, he made the following points, which I will offer in "quotes", even though they are not quoted exactly:
1) "Fred Funk leads the tour in fairways hit, with 11.2/round. David Duval is one of my guys, and he's leading the GIR category with 12.5/round. These guys play or practice every day. You have a regular job. Statistically, your long game is within a couple or three shots of theirs. How good do you logically think you can expect to get at ballstriking?"
2) "David Duval misses 5 or 6 greens per round and his scoring average is under 70. You're missing 7 or 8 greens per round, but your scoring average is 80. If you were as good around the greens as David, you'd be averaging 72. What part of your game do you think you should be working on?"
3) After watching me hit putts on his basement carpet (to a hole in the floor), he said: "You're not a bad putter. You have a good stroke. I can tell you what I'm going to see when we go play; you're putting from the wrong places. Statistically, every time you miss a green, you make a bogey. Sometimes you may get up-and-down, but you cancel that out by three-putting a green you hit in regulation, or by chunking a wedge and not even getting it on the green when you're trying to recover. You must have a lousy wedge game."
4) "Brad Faxon is one of my guys. Brad is a great putter, but not the way everybody thinks. He's not a great putter because he sinks long bombs all the time. He doesn't. He makes more of them than you do, but not enough to really matter. Brad Faxon is a great putter because most of the time, when he misses a green, which is often, his first putt is from inside 3 feet. Wouldn't you be a great putter if over half the time you were putting from inside 3 feet?"
5) "You came here because you think your mind is screwed up. It's not. You're playing as well as you can play with the short game you have. To have a better mind, you have to have a better short game. There is no way that you, personally, can improve your game by thinking better, or by having more confidence. It's true, you have no confidence in your short game. But you have no short game skills, either. You're completely rational in your thinking at this point. You would be irrational and dishonest with yourself if you thought otherwise. You have to improve your short game to have a better mind for golf."
6) "You don't understand the game of golf. You think it's about hitting great drives and long irons. It's not. It's about hitting great wedges and recovery shots. I tell my tour players that the purpose of the long game is avoid disasters, to avoid high scores. Your long game should put you into position to make par, and should be consistent enough that you never make more than bogey. The wedge game is where you make birdies and save pars. Your long game is doing its job for you. Your short game is not."
There was a lot more discussion along this line of thought. I told him that I knew I was a lousy wedge player, that I had always been so. I told him I just didn't think I had good "touch", that I preferred full shots, where touch isn't required. Rotella strongly believes that touch is innate, that most people have it, but that they don't swing properly so that it can "come out". He told me this, and more, over and over again. He asked if he was "getting through to me". Then we went out to his club, to play.
We first went to the practice tee, where he worked with me, watching me hit wedges. He was pretty disgusted. He said, "I don't know how you've missed this all these years, but you don't know how to play a wedge shot. It's not that your touch is poor; it's that you don't know how to hit the shot. You have too much hand action. You're trying to hit wedge shots as if they were drives. I'm going to show you how tour players hit wedge shots." We then spent about 2 hours working on the basics of wedge shots as he teaches them: Ball center-to-back of stance, weight on left foot, club sharply up on the backswing, then pull the hands through, absolutely minimum hand action. All of this was very new to me. Then we went out and played.
I shot my typical 80, from the tips, hitting 12 greens, playing pretty much my usual game. Most of the long shots were good, most of the short ones were poor. I was not able to apply his wedge lessons at first, on the course, except on one shot that I executed really well, to get up-and-down for par after a poor tee shot on a really long par-3. When we got done, we went back to the practice tee for another two hours of wedge work, quitting at dark.
His final advice was to work constantly on my wedge, in the ways he had shown me, and that as it improved, so would I. He told me that, given the statistics of my game, he didn't see how I could get better otherwise.
It was an excellent day, very much an eye-opening experience.
In the 8 months since, while I have not worked "constantly" on my wedges, I have greatly increased the amount of time I do spend with them. I'm still not where I want to be, but I'm getting better. My last-20 scoring average is 77.9, with a 3.1 index. I have become much more conscious of the truth of his analysis and remarks. But improvement is gradual, not sudden. I'm still taking too many putts, 34.1 per round at present, because I'm still not putting from close enough!
Thanks guys. I thought a first-hand account might be interesting to folks. It sure was an interesting day for me. Bob is very direct, certainly not one to cajole or mollycoddle a student. He tells you to your face that you're an idiot, if that's what he thinks. I told him I thought he was an obnoxious SOB. He laughed. I liked him.
Bill, I do have a 60* wedge, the Cleveland 588, which I like. But usually I carry a 53* and 57*, again the Cleveland 588. The 60* just seems like more loft than I need. It may be of interest to note that Rotella himself carries only a 56* wedge (a Vokey). He thinks -- and I am quoting exactly here -- "60* wedges are for guys who can't open the face of the club a little bit to get more loft." He thinks -- or so he said -- that the gap wedge is more crucial to have in your bag. His comments are the reason I ditched the 60* wedge in favor of the 53* model.
Rotella carries 5- and 7-woods; his longest iron is a 4-iron. He asked why I carried the 2- and 3-irons. I told him I'd always hit them pretty well, and that I tended to be a bit wild with the lofted woods. His course is fairly long, and of course in December in central Virginia there isn't a ton of roll in the fairways, so I had a couple of opportunities to hit 4-irons and one chance to hit a 3-iron during our round. I hit all three of those greens. The 3-iron shot was 200 yards into a light breeze to an elevated green with a bunker in front, steep slopes to either side. I nailed it to 20 feet, a lovely high draw. He looked over at me and said "don't change". I said, "Only when I can't do that any more." Which could happen any day, I guess!
Although he didn't have any problems, he said, with things like my pre-shot routine and my course management, he did take the time to lay out some course management strategies for me that he claimed were exactly the same as he used with his tour players. He told me that he thought I should adopt them. Here they are:
1) Inside 130 yards (i.e., PW range), always go for the pin. Learn to use your wedge well enough that they can't hide a pin from you when you're inside wedge range.
2) Outside 160 yards (7-iron range), never go for the pin, unless it happens to be in the safe part of the green. Always go for the safest part of the green. Rely on a two-putt for par if you hit the green, rely on getting up-and-down from the safe side if you miss. If you hit the ball close to a tough pin, it should be an accident.
3) Between 130-160 yards, go for the pin if (a) it is located where your natural shot shape takes it, and (b) there's not too much trouble there. This is the judgment situation. Rotella says that there's no judgment in the other cases; there's a rule, and we always follow it.
Bob went on to say that he knew, in my case, that I had not been playing like this. He said "I'll bet you always go for the pin." I said, yes, I basically did, unless it was obviously impossible. He said, "Yes, I thought so. That's the rational choice in your case, because you have no short game. It doesn't make any difference to you whether you miss the green on the easy side or the hard side. There is no easy side, because you can't play even the easiest wedge shots. And there is no hard side, because you're not likely to be outside 30 feet with a wedge, no matter where you're playing it from. But if you do what I say, and work on your wedges, you will start to get a reward from missing the green on the easy side, and then these rules will work for you."
He was so right about this. I now play much more conservatively than I used to do, and in consequence have just about taken the ugly hole off my card.

One other possibly interesting thought from Rotella: He mentioned to me that he had frequent conversations with college players about whether they were good enough to join the Tour. I asked what he told them. His answer was that on a good day, they should be able to hit 6 greens and shoot 66 at their home course. When I asked him how, he said that on a course they know, they ought to be able to hit a couple of par-5s at least, and make birdie there. The 6 greens they hit ought to be from short range, and they ought to be able to convert two-thirds of the time. The 12 greens they miss, they should be able to get up-and-down every time. Rotella thinks that if they can't do this, or see themselves learning to do it, they won't survive on Tour.
Another interesting Rotella thought: Winners on any tour you care to name (men's, women's, senior, buy.com, European, whatever) average about 27 putts/round. Sometimes a bit fewer, sometimes a bit more, but that's typically what it takes to be a winner in any given week. Therefore, 50% of the time a winning pro walks onto a green, he or she makes their first putt! Is that awesome, or what? Anyway, his point was, if that's what you have to do, and it is, then you better plan on having a lot of pretty short putts waiting for you when you get to the green, and the only way to do that on a regular basis is to have a great wedge game.

Before I left at the end of the day with Rotella, he made me write down -- verbatim -- several things. I carry them on a 3x5 card in my bag, which of course is not with me at the moment. But, among other things, he left me with the direct quote: "You have to have a great wedge game to have a great mind."
I think of it every time I play. I get lots of examples in case I forget.
In retrospect, some of what he told me should have been obvious to me. But I guess most of us have an extraordinary talent for missing the obvious.
As one example, I mentioned in a previous post that Rotella said, in effect, "On the average you NEVER get up and down." His point being that, on the average, I miss 7.5 greens per round and, on the average, I was shooting 8.5 over par. I had never thought about it in that way before. He went on to say, "David Duval misses, on the average, 5.5 greens per round, and scores, on the average, about 2 shots under par. So, on the average, he's getting up-and-down EVERY TIME, plus he's making a couple of extra birdies when he hits wedge shots close to the pin in regulation. So David is saving strokes with his short game, and you are giving extra strokes away with yours."

Oh, speaking of that, I just recalled another little soliloquy of his. At one point, he said (or words to this effect): "Okay, you're a 3.5 index and you want to be scratch. Let's say you really, really work on your long game some more, and let's say you get to where you too can hit 12.5 GIR average for the year. For the sake of argument, let's just say that. So, where does that leave you? You've gained TWO LOUSY STROKES, now you're a 1.5 index. You still haven't reached your goal! Meanwhile, you're leaving 7 or 8 short game strokes laying on the table, ripe for the picking. If you got even half of them, you'd make it to your goal! Which path do you think has a better chance of working?

markTHEblake
14th May 2004, 06:22 PM
I can relate to that, my Wedge game has always been crap.
but last year or so its obviously picked up a bit, (statistics dont lie) dont know why, I havent practiced short game for about 20 years

AndyP
14th May 2004, 09:00 PM
I'll get back to you when I have read it all. :roll:

Trung
14th May 2004, 09:03 PM

Ring me when you have read it :wink:

jaster
14th May 2004, 09:04 PM
Some things are worth taking the time to absorb, not devour in less than 10 seconds :smt096

jaster
14th May 2004, 09:07 PM

Ring me when you have read it :wink:

With the way that handicap is blowing out Trung you should read that article :smt016 :smt043

AndyP
14th May 2004, 09:21 PM
OK, I've read it now. Had to cut & paste it to somewhere else, so it didn't look like I was surfin' the net. ;)

I don't think that I have any touch with the wedges, especially from 30m out. That's why I am trying to get a few of them, and will use the drill that Vegas has mentioned to determine how far I hit each one with two different swings.
It is enforcing what most of us already know. If there are shots to be saved, they are in your short game.

markTHEblake
14th May 2004, 11:48 PM
I hardly read any post more than two lines but for some reason i was compelled to read that one from start to finish.

Dunno about you blokes who might be still improving, how an article like this affects you, but i am still on the same handicap i was 14 years ago.

So why do i focus more on my long game than my short game - vanity, ego, pride perhaps. When i was younger i seemed to have some sort of pride in being recognised as a good ball striker but a lousy short game.

Instead of working on my weakness, I let it become my excuse. instead of being embarrassed by it, i wore it as if it was a badge of honour. Wotta wanker i am.

That article really puts it in perspective - for me.

AndyP
15th May 2004, 01:05 AM
Yes blakey, you are a w*nker. For the reasons above and others. :P

McMw
15th May 2004, 01:15 AM
can I shoot -6 with only 6girs....heck no!!! :roll:

but I'm sure I'll be able to shoot +6 with 6girs!!! Maybe.... :oops:

Golfgirl
15th May 2004, 10:39 AM
Phew! Finally found the time to read this post.... interesting stuff.

Personally, I would love to meet Rotella, I've read all his books and think he is simply awesome.

As to the advice about wedges and getting up and down: well, my wedge play is getting a lot better, and funnily enough, I haven't been working on my short game at all. What I have been doing differently is assessing the shot better before I hit it, and imagining what will happen when I do. Seems to be working.... :shock:

As for good players averaging 27 putts per round - well, I have been putting really well, and am still nowhere near this stat! :shock:

(MTB - of course its ego that makes you work more on your long game - who doesn't enjoy bombing a drive out there?? :wink: )

mrbluu
4th February 2014, 11:10 PM
no idea how I came across this, but a very interesting read. I might get his book.

Shortylook
4th February 2014, 11:51 PM
Jesus Christ. I'm forked! I don't hit anything in reg except, well basically nothing. SOAB my game needs everything. Look out summer cup, ill be wearing the frilly knickers and proxy shoelaces again :oops:

matty
5th February 2014, 07:10 AM
Great read. Couldn't agree more with everything written there.
I have exactly the same game as that guy. Slowly I'm learning to practice the short game more.

wazandnic
5th February 2014, 10:30 AM
Nice read. Does put some things in perspective although I have been told a few times about making shots up with your wedge game... For me though consistency of the tee still maybe means more at my current level... playing 3 off the tee you are never going to score well! ;)

Slothman
5th February 2014, 11:06 AM
Bob Rotellas books/cd's improved my game out of site.

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDetails/ProductDetail.aspx?R=9780743544771#.UvF-WPufUUQ

Get that CD pack OR if only 2 books get "Golf is not a game of perfect" and "putting out of your mind". Will add so much to your game.

6 months ago I couldn't putt, couldn't chip but could drive and hit irons. I have done a full 360.

I decided to work had on my wedge game from just off the green to 50 meters. It took a LONG time. I just practiced. Hit greens, 10 balls, throw them randomly and try heaps of different shots. 4 months later and I am getting frustrated as I could not see any improvement on the course.

Than it clicked. One day I promised myself I could ONLY chip onto greens, no putting. It proved I could chip, and I was getting better.

I went from 38 putts per round to 30 per round with 3 or 4 29 putt rounds in a row. Scarey thing I did not work on my putting mechanics, just my routine and thought process. I don't practice putting, and when I do its about touch. One ball, random holes but go through my entire routine each time. Maybe 15 minutes before a round, maybe 30 minutes a month outside of that. But when you chip to the cup...you don't need to putt :)

I still make mistakes, but they are mainly mental, but now I love chipping, I look forward to trying that flop shot to the tight green.

Now I am working on my iron play to give myself a chance at better chips or birdie putts.

Get the books, take what you can from the books and use it.

One thing I have noticed that has happened as the book stated. As I got better at wedges, less pressure is put on the rest of my game :)

I can do a LOT more, more 3 woods from tees to find more fairways, better shot selection, better target selection etc etc but one thing at a time :)

hacker
5th February 2014, 11:17 AM
For those interested in the CDs they are a bit cheap through other places http://booko.com.au/9780743544771/The-Dr-Bob-Rotella-CD-Collection.

Eca
6th February 2014, 08:00 AM
no idea how I came across this, but a very interesting read. I might get his book.

Lol. Thanks again haha.. this is what was killing me lately. Well I hate practice so I better start. My save rate from greenside is pathetic. An old woman off 14 was beating my chips with her pitches from 30m + out ��

Scifisicko
6th February 2014, 09:25 AM
read this, got to the club early, did 90 minutes of chipping, then 7 GIRs and 35 putts...1/11 up and downs. Ouch. "Today is a birdie free zone" was echoing in my ears.

Buzz
9th February 2014, 08:14 AM
Great stuff I've put this on my too read list as well. Hope there is an ebook version!

oldracer
9th February 2014, 08:48 AM
read this, got to the club early, did 90 minutes of chipping, then 7 GIRs and 35 putts...1/11 up and downs. Ouch. "Today is a birdie free zone" was echoing in my ears.no wonder, ya back had stiffened up after 90 mins of chipping!!!!!

jasonb
9th February 2014, 09:39 AM
Awesome read, now to ditch the wife, kids & job & go practice the short game:razz:

Coldtopper
9th February 2014, 12:00 PM
Simple practice theory here for every full shot hit 2 short game shots and one putt. In reality how boring!
As good as it gets for most is a pre game warm up of 100 balls divided into 10 wedge shots, 20 short irons, 20 mid irons, 20 long shots, 10 drivers, 10 swing remedies / thoughts and 10 wedges followed by 20 minutes of putting practice is about as good as it is going to get for the dedicated few. I do like the theory behind Bob.

Coldtopper
9th February 2014, 12:05 PM
Awesome read, now to ditch the wife, kids & job & go practice the short game:razz: If you get away with it with your man status in tact and a dollar in your pocket let us know?

highballin
9th February 2014, 08:35 PM
That was great reading I had already changed practise from 80% long game 20 % short game to the other way round.

Also the idea that thelong game was basically not to stuff up giving the short game a crack at scoring.

These are things I had sort of came to that conclusion but that read really makes the penny drop !

Waddzy
18th March 2014, 08:28 AM
Which one of rotella's books is this from? Looking at my stats I am exactly the same.. shooting 12 over with 12 missed green and 36ish putts.. I never work on my short game and never really imagined it was that bad until now..

Captain Nemo
18th March 2014, 08:32 AM
Which one of rotella's books is this from? Looking at my stats I am exactly the same.. shooting 12 over with 12 missed green and 36ish putts.. I never work on my short game and never really imagined it was that bad until now..

:smt107
There's your answer....

Waddzy
18th March 2014, 08:41 AM
:smt107
There's your answer....

I know.. hence why I am going to start practicing again.. just short game atleast. My best round of 77 off the stick I have recorded still has me hitting 12 greens for 35 putts.. Thats pretty pathetic for a "best" round.

Didnt really notice how bad it was until I looked back at game stats...

hacker
18th March 2014, 11:38 AM
How do you guys record your stats? Do you just have a notebook with drives and where they landed, long irons and where they landed, pitches, chips and putts? Or do you use an app on your phone?

Waddzy
18th March 2014, 11:49 AM
Apps on the phone Hacker... Gamebook generally but it doesnt really show all stats so I have started keeping my own stats from there afterwards.. hence why I have only really just realised how crap I am around the green.

simmsy
18th March 2014, 12:04 PM
Golfshot works ok

Mububban
18th March 2014, 12:40 PM
Nice read. Does put some things in perspective although I have been told a few times about making shots up with your wedge game... For me though consistency of the tee still maybe means more at my current level... playing 3 off the tee you are never going to score well! ;)

That's me at the moment too!

A few months ago I was waking up early so would go to the course near work for 15-30 minutes of putting and chipping practise and it had obvious benefits. Now I'm cycling to work or going to the gym here to try and avoid porking out (well, my version of porking out at least), no more golf practise in the mornings and I've really noticed the loss of touch around the greens that was previously saving my butt. Now I'm still wayward off the tee, and also suck around the greens. Not a good combination.

Mububban
18th March 2014, 12:44 PM
How do you guys record your stats? Do you just have a notebook with drives and where they landed, long irons and where they landed, pitches, chips and putts? Or do you use an app on your phone?

Second for golfshot. The full GPS app is about $30 but there's a free app just for keeping scores in, which works out your stats for you. Also lets you log in to the golfshot website for slightly more detailed info and filters.
Hmm, I just had a quick look in the App Store and couldn't see the free version any more, they might have pulled that version?

Buzz
18th March 2014, 12:47 PM
Another vote for golf shot ... I use it as range finder and stats keeper, excellent value for $30ish

adamsgolfer
18th March 2014, 02:33 PM
That's me at the moment too!

A few months ago I was waking up early so would go to the course near work for 15-30 minutes of putting and chipping practise and it had obvious benefits. Now I'm cycling to work or going to the gym here to try and avoid porking out (well, my version of porking out at least), no more golf practise in the mornings and I've really noticed the loss of touch around the greens that was previously saving my butt. Now I'm still wayward off the tee, and also suck around the greens. Not a good combination.

Is it true that practicing chipping/pitching and have touch around the greens bleeds into being better with full swing? I've heard this said before.

Having said that I think the modern driver at 46" is a totally different animal and at that length needs a totally different swing to your other clubs. Perhaps 44" driver would be better.... but as you know I think too much.

Hatchman
18th March 2014, 03:09 PM
Is it true that practicing chipping/pitching and have touch around the greens bleeds into being better with full swing? I've heard this said before.

Having said that I think the modern driver at 46" is a totally different animal and at that length needs a totally different swing to your other clubs. Perhaps 44" driver would be better.... but as you know I think too much.

1. Yes it does
2. I don't subscribe to the driver needs to be swung differently. There is something in cutting back the length for better control though.

You remind me of a golfing friend we nick named the analyser as he thought heaps about everything to do with his golf game.

adamsgolfer
18th March 2014, 03:44 PM
1. Yes it does
2. I don't subscribe to the driver needs to be swung differently. There is something in cutting back the length for better control though.

You remind me of a golfing friend we nick named the analyser as he thought heaps about everything to do with his golf game.

How do I change my username to that? I may as well embrace it hey...

LeftyHoges
18th March 2014, 03:46 PM
This is just a simple spreadsheet I was using back in 2011 when I wanted to figure out where I was leaking shots from. I suppose if you really wanted to get more technical you could also include fairway miss left or right, green miss left or right, Putts in Regulation, etc but this found where my weaknesses were.

For the record up 'n' downs counted as anything inside 50 metres where I had a shot at the green.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/18/uvydatyz.jpg

mrbluu
18th March 2014, 03:52 PM
I've also been toying up with the idea of counting par 5's hit in 2 has 2 GIR's and if u miss a green twice ie second shot on a par 3 and 3rd shot on a par 4 as 2 missed greens. This might be a better indication of how u are hitting the ball.

sms316
18th March 2014, 05:14 PM
This is just a simple spreadsheet I was using back in 2011 when I wanted to figure out where I was leaking shots from. I suppose if you really wanted to get more technical you could also include fairway miss left or right, green miss left or right, Putts in Regulation, etc but this found where my weaknesses were. For the record up 'n' downs counted as anything inside 50 metres where I had a shot at the green.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/18/uvydatyz.jpgI want to see your stats from Busselton.

LeftyHoges
18th March 2014, 05:19 PM
I want to see your stats from Busselton.

That was 2012 which I didn't keep but I would say it went something like this...

Fairways hit: 5/14
GIR: 4/18
Putts: 34
Up 'n' downs: 2/15
Sand Saves: 1/8
Score: 91
Swear words: 147
Broken clubs: 1
Lost balls: 3
Hugs from Yoss: 1
Sympathy from Shadesy: 0
Group wonderings of "this bloke plays off 4?!": 32
Incorrect assertions from Marto that I was wearing checks with stripes: 2
Number of times I thought Bergsey was wonderfully handsome: 6

sms316
18th March 2014, 05:25 PM
From the group ahead I can vouch for the audible obscenity statistic.

LeftyHoges
18th March 2014, 05:25 PM
From the group ahead I can vouch for the audible obscenity statistic.

Stats never lie. :)

Hatchman
18th March 2014, 08:02 PM
I've also been toying up with the idea of counting par 5's hit in 2 has 2 GIR's and if u miss a green twice ie second shot on a par 3 and 3rd shot on a par 4 as 2 missed greens. This might be a better indication of how u are hitting the ball.

For the mid teens and above handicap it may be beneficial to look at GIR against the stroke index for that hole rather than par as opposed to what mrbluu suggests. Once you've missed, you've missed. You can't miss twice.

1. Yes it does

Maybe on of the Mods can help with that?

hacker
18th March 2014, 09:39 PM
For the mid teens and above handicap it may be beneficial to look at GIR against the stroke index for that hole rather than par

I mostly play at a 9 hole course, so would this mean I look at it as I never make GIR on 1, only if I stuff up on 3, very rarely on 5, occasionally on 7, almost never on 9, only if I stuff up on 11 and 13 and regularly on 15 and 17.

This would be from memory for now and once I've played a round using your idea I would have actual numbers in there.

If you are looking at GIR against the stroke index for the hole and not the par, where do you get the number that the GIR should be?

jimandr
18th March 2014, 09:40 PM

If I used that system, on my really bad days I'd have a negative GIR stat. I haven't hit a par 5 in two for about 8 years. The first at Ballina is just reachable for me downwind if I absolutely cream both shots, but I haven't done it yet.

Realistically, if you aren't hitting greens in one over GIR, you shouldn't need a stats record to tell you where you are going wrong.

I'm actually a bit bemused about the value of recording stats for anyone above about 7 handicap. The problem isn't where the shots are going, but in doing something about it. Highlighting the fact that I am woeful from bunkers is likely to make that issue worse, not better, and I absolutely do not want to compare my holing average from between 4 and 8 feet to that of a PGA pro (and particularly not Kevin Na at the Valspar). If I had the ability to improve that I wouldn't have the problem in the first place.

Hatchman
18th March 2014, 09:47 PM
1. Yes it does

I mostly play at a 9 hole course, so would this mean I look at it as I never make GIR on 1, only if I stuff up on 3, very rarely on 5, occasionally on 7, almost never on 9, only if I stuff up on 11 and 13 and regularly on 15 and 17.

This would be from memory for now and once I've played a round using your idea I would have actual numbers in there.

If you are looking at GIR against the stroke index for the hole and not the par, where do you get the number that the GIR should be?

What's your Hcp Hacker so I can help try and explain it?

Buzz
18th March 2014, 10:24 PM
For the mid teens and above handicap it may be beneficial to look at GIR against the stroke index for that hole rather than par as opposed to what mrbluu suggests. Once you've missed, you've missed. This is a great idea, must start doing that!

hacker
18th March 2014, 10:47 PM
What's your Hcp Hacker so I can help try and explain it?

An exceptionally embarrassing 36 but I am thinking of either giving up strokeplay or joining PGN and playing Maylands only. :lol:

Not going to do either just need to not get into pissing contests and show that I can hit my 4wood as far as someone's driver, learn to putt and while I'm at it might have a crack at not slicing the ball or chunking the ball. So not much but time is on my side. :D

Hatchman
18th March 2014, 11:18 PM
An exceptionally embarrassing 36 but I am thinking of either giving up strokeplay or joining PGN and playing Maylands only. :lol:

Not going to do either just need to not get into pissing contests and show that I can hit my 4wood as far as someone's driver, learn to putt and while I'm at it might have a crack at not slicing the ball or chunking the ball. So not much but time is on my side. :D

No need to be embarrassed, everyone starts some where.
You will most likely have a lot more fun on your journey going from where you are now to something lower than I will shaving one or two off my mid/low singles hcp.

Basic rule is two putts to make nett par for a GIR.
On a 36 handicap every holes par is technically 2 more shots for you e.g. a par 5 is a par 7, a par 4 is a par 6 and a par 3 is a par 5. For the purpose of what I suggested in keeping stats for greens in regulation (GIR) you number of shots to record a GIR would be on in 5 on a par 5, on in 4 on par 4 and on in 3 on a par 3. You better any of those and you still count it as a GIR.

Lets say you get a handle on the game and get your handicap down to 27 and you still want to track you stats in this manner. On stroke index 1-9 you will still allow yourself to be on in par for a GIR and on index 10-18 you will need to be on in one less than par to register a GIR.

hacker
18th March 2014, 11:51 PM
No need to be embarrassed, everyone starts some where.
You will most likely have a lot more fun on your journey going from where you are now to something lower than I will shaving one or two off my mid/low singles hcp.

Basic rule is two putts to make nett par for a GIR.
On a 36 handicap every holes par is technically 2 more shots for you e.g. a par 5 is a par 7, a par 4 is a par 6 and a par 3 is a par 5. For the purpose of what I suggested in keeping stats for greens in regulation (GIR) you number of shots to record a GIR would be on in 5 on a par 5, on in 4 on par 4 and on in 3 on a par 3. You better any of those and you still count it as a GIR.

Lets say you get a handle on the game and get your handicap down to 27 and you still want to track you stats in this manner. On stroke index 1-9 you will still allow yourself to be on in par for a GIR and on index 10-18 you will need to be on in one less than par to register a GIR.

Cool, so it is what I thought. Sort of, but understand properly now.

Cheers for the help.

markTHEblake
19th March 2014, 01:44 PM
I've also been toying up with the idea of counting par 5's hit in 2 has 2 GIR's and if u miss a green twice ie second shot on a par 3 and 3rd shot on a par 4 as 2 missed greens. This might be a better indication of how u are hitting the ball.Some stats programs allow you to record an approaches stat, irrespective of the GIR. That more accurately reflects your iron play in particular.

IanO
19th March 2014, 05:07 PM
Great stuff I've put this on my too read list as well. Hope there is an ebook version!

There is a Kindle version and only $12.95