PDA

View Full Version : not grounding the driver at address

Jarro
8th November 2004, 03:24 PM
I've just started to do this in the last couple of days.. and i have to say it's made a big difference in the way i drive the golf ball :D

.. just feels like i'm more relaxed in the arms, feels great. I've always watched other golfers do this and wondered why the hell they'd try it.. looked kinda silly to me .. but now i know why.

Does anyone else try this :?: how does it work for you :?

davidp
8th November 2004, 04:10 PM
Yep, I hover the driver at address usually. But, I use 3" tees. :shock:

It helps me to find the correct return path. If I ground the driver, and then take away, then I'm not really setting the path correctly am I?

I think you've just probably found the same thing Jarro.

Eag's
8th November 2004, 04:20 PM
I do it on a regular basis Mark, helps me get the feel of a one piece takeaway. Good to hear you have found something that works for you :wink:

McMw
8th November 2004, 05:42 PM
I do it all the time....
can't exactly remember when I started...but it was defn after watching a lot of the pros on telly hovering their club...

used to do it for fairway woods too...but I find it better grounded...promotes a slightly downward hit...

thing to be careful with is to make sure that your grip is all set before you start to hover...coz the tendency is to be too strong...

so stick with a preshot routine (that seemed to work today)...

AndyP
8th November 2004, 06:22 PM
="jarro"]I've just started to do this in the last couple of days.. and i have to say it's made a big difference in the way i drive the golf ball

.. just feels like i'm more relaxed in the arms, feels great. I've always watched other golfers do this and wondered why the hell they'd try it.. looked kinda silly to me .. but now i know why.
Maybe you have found the secret and didn't really need all those different drivers. :wink:

I ground the club but try not to be too static, sliding the club behind the ball a couple of times.

It's part of my pre-shot routine, so I'm not that keen on changing it.

BrisVegas
8th November 2004, 09:14 PM
I have always hovered the club at address. I think I did it because Greg Norman did it. And who didn't want to be like Greg! 8)

Ít's the only way I know to make a smooth takeaway now.... :)

andylo
8th November 2004, 11:10 PM
And who didn't want to be like Greg! 8)

I don't... because he's old and most other Pro's wife are prettier!! :lol:

Sorry... just kidding :D

Ona
8th November 2004, 11:17 PM
never have never will

:smt019

BrisVegas
9th November 2004, 09:11 AM

Andylo... seriously! Greg Norman was the best thing that ever happened to Australian golf. He popularised the game. He did in the 70's and 80's what Tiger did in the late 90's. He brought excitement, athleticism and interest to golf. Not only that, he was world #1 for an incredibly long time and was a true "world" golfer (like Ernie & Retief are now). Regardless of what people think of the man, the Shark is a legend and had a positive impact on golf.

terryand
9th November 2004, 09:14 AM

Andylo... seriously! Greg Norman was the best thing that ever happened to Australian golf. He popularised the game. He did in the 70's and 80's what Tiger did in the late 90's. He brought excitement, athleticism and interest to golf. Not only that, he was world #1 for an incredibly long time and was a true "world" golfer (like Ernie & Retief are now). Regardless of what people think of the man, the Shark is a legend and had a positive impact on golf.

YEAH....What he said :smt023

Terry.

Fishman Dan
9th November 2004, 09:19 AM
Amen brother! And more to the point, he could manufacture shots with any club. Stories of drivers off the deck to reach long par 5's in 2, being able to get height and distance with long irons that other players at the time simply couldn't.

I don't ground my club anymore, and haven't for years. All about the take-away - if you catch a runner/weed as you take the clubhead away then the shot is ruined. I also like to visualise the club coming back through the same line i took it away.

Jarro
9th November 2004, 09:37 AM
.. and who could ever forget the amazing amount of backspin he could put on a ball :shock:

i remember seeing footage of him actually spinning an approach shot off the green, after pitching the ball to the very back of it :o

yep, GN was absolutely the best thing to happen to golf in this great country 8)

.. plus he went to my high school, so i kinda feel a bit of a connection there :wink: :roll: (joke Iain .. please note.. this is a joke ... OK :roll: )

Iain
9th November 2004, 02:42 PM
.. plus he went to my high school, so i kinda feel a bit of a connection there :wink: :roll: (joke Iain .. please note.. this is a joke ... OK :roll: )

:? :? :?

It's alright Jarro, I'd better not make fun of a post you made that had more than one sentence and added to the conversation.... :P :P :twisted:

Iain

BrisVegas
9th November 2004, 03:46 PM
What's this? Are you two all chummy again?? :shock:

Unit and donkey... a brief history...
[-(
:smt014
:smt084
:smt064
:smt075
:smt079
:smt056
:smt058
:smt052
:smt078

Jarro
9th November 2004, 04:09 PM
bah.. there's nuthin in it really Vegas :roll:

Iain just seems to think he's the self-appointed Ozgolf forum post monitor .. deciding what makes a valid, valued post in here :roll:

i just give the lad a bit of rope .... you know the rest :wink:

seeing as though he is Ozgolf champ for the year, i'd better do the right thing and lay off him.. otherwise there'll be a public outcry :evil:

Jarro
9th November 2004, 04:36 PM
Losing that moderator status really eats at you doesn't it mate. :smt089

yeah right, i did heaps of moderating didn't i :roll:

Fishman Dan
9th November 2004, 04:53 PM
Losing that moderator status really eats at you doesn't it mate. :smt089

yeah right, i did heaps of moderating didn't i :roll:

You showed your first intent about 2 hours after losing it... :roll: :lol:

Iain
9th November 2004, 05:25 PM
No, nothing at all.... :wink:

Iain just seems to think he's the self-appointed Ozgolf forum post monitor .. deciding what makes a valid, valued post in here :roll:
I just enjoy taking the piss out of you..... :P

You give me rope..... :roll: :smt015 :smt015

seeing as though he is Ozgolf champ for the year, i'd better do the right thing and lay off him.. otherwise there'll be a public outcry :evil:
At last, some sense from Jarro..... :wink: :wink: 8)

macleod
9th November 2004, 05:54 PM

coool, can i be in a group at northlakes with unit and donkey? :smt006

markTHEblake
9th November 2004, 09:56 PM

Didnt think you would be the dominatrix of that relationship.

davidp
9th November 2004, 10:04 PM

Very ugly visual Blakey, very, very ugly.. :smt078 :smt078

Jarro
10th November 2004, 01:00 PM

you have to stop this thing you have for men Blakey.

.. first you have wet dreams about , now your having thoughts of me and the caveman :shock:

.. very disturbing :?

Flowergirl
11th November 2004, 01:45 PM
Boys, boys boys..........I'm away for a few days and you start making passes at each other :lol:

Ok.......getting back to the subject in hand ...........tell me more about this hovering thing. I'm thinking that it makes a bit of sense to me. By doing it does that mean you are starting the swing at the same point where you want contact to occur? Am I on the right train with this?

BrisVegas
11th November 2004, 01:54 PM
By doing it does that mean you are starting the swing at the same point where you want contact to occur? Am I on the right train with this?

Yep, pretty much. I've never thought of it so precisely as that, but I can see how that would work with Driver.

Hovering the club, rather than grounding it behind the ball is just a way of ensuring that the first part of the backswing is smooth. It also prevents the club from snagging on any grass, or accidentally moving the ball at address.

Give it a try. :) Can't hurt... :wink:

macleod
11th November 2004, 02:52 PM
To take this one step further....
I have a mate who hits a sweet ball and whenever he wants to hit a draw he sits the club with the ball at the toe...when he wants to hit a slider he sets up with the ball at the heel....works every time.
I tried it and had more luck with the draw....

Anyone else tried this ?
after watching blakey and jono's wonderful and consitent draws off the tee after the first few holes of the champs, i noticed they also teed with the club toe as you mention.

my swing path is rooted, but when it comes off the toe now it straightens up nicely, loses distance but everything from the toe went ok at tweed.

i originally had awlays teed with the ball pretty much centre or heel, but then again i cut across it terribly so that at least minises the air swings... :oops:

man....i haven't had a cool air swing in so long....might practise that for northlakes..

Whooooosh!...... heh heh.....practise swing eh guys?

Jarro
11th November 2004, 03:06 PM
i originally had awlays teed with the ball pretty much centre or heel, but then again i cut across it terribly so that at least minises the air swings... :oops:

you should maybe try hovering the driver as well Macca, might help to get the club back on plane nicely.

can't hurt can it.

macleod
11th November 2004, 03:20 PM

you should maybe try hovering the driver as well Macca, might help to get the club back on plane nicely.

can't hurt can it.

but i'll fall fowards if i don't ground it!

i like a nice bow in the shaft that goes 'boing' when i start to jerk it back :D