PDA

View Full Version : Wishon 321Li 24* (4) w/Gi335 S flex shaft review

macleod
8th November 2004, 12:30 PM
I'd been looking around for something in the OEM stream to substitute my irons with, but couldnt' settle on a 7 wood or hybrid.

Seeing the great review the 321li had been receiving, i decided to go with one as wishon stuff is solid.

I got a 4 iron version, 24* 321li with a gi335 graphite shaft in stiff, installed at 40" with a Winn av17 XF arrow grip. d3 finsihed SW.

Address:
The 321li sits comfortably at address to my eye, moreso than other driving iron style or hybrid clubs i have owned in the past, it's almost feels more upright in it's lie to me, certainly a confidence booster and looks solid.

Balance:
I went with a 1/2" over the recommneded length for the 24* as i normally play my irons longer. Orginally i was ocncerned the S lfex shaft might be a bit too much for me, i've been using softer flexes lately to help rebuild my confidence in my game which has been shabby since coming back from oseas.

the extra length i felt would also server to softern the flex slightly. at d3 the club feel like a winner, good heft and mantain the solid feel

Feel:
The impact sensation of the 321li is excellent, although a hollowhead design, it feel both soft and solid. past driving irons id owned really did feel hollow but the 321li feel marvellous.

Results:
I had been getting used to using a smoother swing with the 321li, it responds best when you don't try to smash it. i had a number of left verring shots originally until i got the feel of the shaft better.

my own swing issues aside, with a repetitive swing this baby performs and dials the right distance every time.

Excellent ball flight, mid-high for myself, soft landing.

I used a softer swing on the par 3 9th west at coolangatta tweed, 160 m to the pin. Beatuful straight flight, high and landed soft exactly on the pin distance centre green.

The ball had left a nice crater, and stopped with 45 cm's of the pitch mark.

Ideally, having the next 321li down would be best instead of relying on a chokedown softer swing, so i am tempted now as i would norammyl go a 5 iron or hard 6 to get on.

the gi335 shaft has a nice kick through impoact, not boardy, butt feel nice a firm...as wishon noteds this really is the best shaft for the 321li although i've heard good reports from irod and even a prolaunch 'iron' shaft.

also, this club is great for punch shots and some knockdown work although you have to be careful.

Chipping is also an option around the gree, the design is conducive to shots from fluffy green edges.

Overall:
Excellent hybrid, easy to hit, forgiving on impact, great ball flight with the gi335 shaft...all around a winner and much preferred to other hybrid i've used in the past.

needs some more work in the rough but i am sure it'll work a treat. you can't beat he price either.

only gripe is having to purchase the headcover separately, an added expense i'd like to see incorporated into the head cost itself.

I may cut down to the recommended length in time once i try it out some more, control is the name of the game for these clubs.

i still need some course work with it, as it's suited more to an iron style swing than other hybrids i've used.

Jono
9th November 2004, 07:24 AM
Nice review, Macca. I've got the Wishon Hybrid as my 2, 3, 4 AND 5 irons ... :shock: :lol: The thing I like about them is that they have exactly the same loft, lie, and weight specs as the iron heads. So they literally just replace the long irons. The only difference is the shape of the head and the .335 inch hosel. I have mine with the Nippon light weight steel shafts. My 24 degree is at 39" which is 0.5" over the standard 4 iron with steel shaft.

RE: head covers. You can actually just use a normal neoprene iron head cover. I've purchased the wishon hybrid head covers, but I find that the iron covers work better. More snug fit.

andylo
9th November 2004, 09:58 AM
Good, so I am not the only person carrying more than 3 hybirds in bag :D