PDA

View Full Version : Help for a n00b...

Ralph
29th June 2008, 10:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of golf. I use to play once or twice a year. Since the being of the year I am trying to play most weekends.

I have 2 questions. I can only really play on weekends as i work weekdays (although day light savings may mean a quick 9 once during the week).
Question 1:
Is getting club membership worth it ? I find it hard in winter to get on and play more then 9 holes and have to play late afternoon as everywhere has comp... which is why i am considering membership ... from what i understand membership basically lets me play for free during social times (Which i can't really do due to work) and allows me to play competition.. are there any other benefits? I currently go around about 2 over a hole (with one or 2 bad holes where i might shoot a 9-10).. playing comp would the people i get teamed with with care that i am S hite?

Question 2 (which is why i put in the course talk)...
I live in western sydney - acacia gardens/quakers hill... What would be a good club to join. Cash isn't a major issue and happy to pay for something if it meant i got good value (i.e not joining castle hill).

I dont mind driving up to about 30 mins to play. Currently thinking about Ashlar or Cumberland (My slice doesnt not like the skinny fairways at Fox Hill). I have seen the proposal at Ashlar about the possible member transfer to stonecutters... which I am guessing would be a very nice course.... but reading the forums here, if the Ashlar proposal doesn't go through then Ashlar would be down the toliet with its debt.

Any advice on the above two questions is muchly appreciated :)))

Cheers
Brendon

Scottt
29th June 2008, 03:18 PM
Brendon,

Basically, divide the membership fee by the social 9 hole fee and if the number of rounds is less than you will play, it's good value. Seeing as you won't be playing comp, handicap isn't really much help to you.

Cumberland is great value at $915 a year, Ashlar is also good value at $1000 - and if you end up at Stonecutters, even better. But if you join Ashlar and it ends up folding, just go elsewhere.

Fishman Dan
29th June 2008, 03:47 PM
Brendon - get into it. Don't expect immediate success, you should join a club, get to know other members around your club and it will all come from there.

Oh, and avoid buying stuff on internet forums before you have to (the urge starts on day 1 ;)).

slicer
29th June 2008, 04:16 PM
Ralph,
is always better to play with members as they have good knowledge of the course and most of them are only too happy to help with advice ,so whatever you decide take in what you think is good advice and through out the rest.. oh and about that slice !!

Grunt
29th June 2008, 05:42 PM
Advice here is too go with Cumberland or Ashlar

Ralph
29th June 2008, 06:18 PM
Advice here is too go with Cumberland or Ashlar

And if i had to choose between on of those courses? (both are close by, ashlar slighly closer)... I haven't played at cumberland as its comp on weekends...

Is one course better then the other ? or a better club for membership ?

Ashlar big plus for me is the whole transfer thing with the no homers club if that occurs (i do love pop culture quotes) ... and stonecutters i think is slightly closer to me too. But other then that, Ashlar is an ok course, but its not fanastic.

Scottt
29th June 2008, 06:36 PM
I think Cumberland is a better course, and it's cheaper, but Ashar is closer and you might end up at Stonecutters.

Why can't you play comp games (ie. 18 holes)?

Grunt
29th June 2008, 06:41 PM
Cumberland have a Wednesday Open day I think. Cumberland better course, Ashlar better members.

Ralph
29th June 2008, 07:00 PM
I think Cumberland is a better course, and it's cheaper, but Ashar is closer and you might end up at Stonecutters.

Why can't you play comp games (ie. 18 holes)?

Becuase im not a member anywhere at the moment so cant play comp. unless i am an idoit and i can play ??

Scottt
29th June 2008, 07:19 PM
No, you can't. I just thought I read you say you can only play nine holes.

Ralph
29th June 2008, 07:51 PM
No, you can't. I just thought I read you say you can only play nine holes.

ahh ok.. i mean i can only get 9 holes in most of the time on the weekend because of comp.

Update: Just was reading the ashlar/ stonecutters swap... does anyone know when the vote will be announced? i am looking to join over the next month, or should i just pony up and do it now - i'd hate to get lumbered with a $5k joining fee due to 4 weeks...

WeekendHacker
30th June 2008, 07:39 AM
Vote is estimated for sometime in September. Once the vote has been done, and in the event it goes the correct way and the move is on, the club will put in a $5,000.00 joining fee.

I would say Ashlar is the better choice as you will get a new course in 2010 - 2011 and the members are much friendlier than at Cumberland. Course is currently in fantastic condition, apart from the 1st green, and in my opinion it is a much better course than others in the area. Add to this the special membership deal where you get 16 or 18 months for the price of 12...........

Ralph
1st July 2008, 12:00 PM
Hey weekend hacker...

i have made the decision. I will be joining Ashlar this week. The membership deal is basically over now.. whenever you joined in the last 5 months it was paid up until 31st July 2009. So i might get 3-4 weeks out of it.

The course is ok... the back 9 seems much better then the front when I have played their over the last month or 2...

The main factor to join Ashlar over Cumberland is the chance for a new course in 2010. Although i heard the Ashlar membership is go up next year which is a bit tight when its $100 more then cumberland already, but I'll deal with it if it means golf course and gym in 2010.

So if Ashlar members see a guy going around about 3 over a hole with a silly looking putter.. be nice :)

Grunt
1st July 2008, 02:33 PM
Good work Ralph, Once you have a handicap. You'll have to come and have a game with other OzGolf members.

WeekendHacker
3rd July 2008, 02:31 PM
Great stuff Ralph. Welcome to Ashlar.