PDA

View Full Version : Best place for a swing checkup in SE Brissy

goonie
22nd June 2008, 07:05 PM
I have been playing some good golf lately, but also some crap golf. Seem to find something one week than gone the next. I guess I shouldn't expect the world only playing once a week.

Anyway can anyone recommend someone in SE Brissy?, I live in Capalaba.

I just want someone who can take a look at my swing and see if I am doing anything majorly wrong, or maybe I just need a minor tweak, I don't want someone who wants to change my swing completely. One guy I saw at Mister Tees once or twice was just obsessed with trying to make me hit a big draw.

jaybam
22nd June 2008, 07:07 PM
As in the other thread Lee i go to the Logan river range and see Chris Holingsworth. He is good. Go to the demo night and have a chat to him while you are there and see if you think it will be worth your while. :)

goughy
22nd June 2008, 07:16 PM
I just want someone who can take a look at my swing and see if I am doing anything majorly wrong, or maybe I just need a minor tweak, I don't want someone who wants to change my swing completely. One guy I saw at Mister Tees once or twice was just obsessed with trying to make me hit a big draw.

I hate the pro that tries to teach you a wholesale new swing! Best coach I had was taking what I had and making a little change here and there. Worst I had tried to teach me a completely new swing. He didn't last.

markTHEblake
22nd June 2008, 07:23 PM
A good coach should be able to do both, but he should ask you first whether you want a bandaid approach, or you are fairdinkum about improving.

goonie
22nd June 2008, 08:12 PM
John, what time is the demo on?

goonie
22nd June 2008, 08:13 PM
mark if i only have a minor cut, I may only need a bandaid :-)

jaybam
22nd June 2008, 08:21 PM
Mate I think it starts about 4 or 5 from memory but just give them a ring :)

leighthebee
23rd June 2008, 12:53 AM
mark "vico" victorsen at Pacific.

has done wonders here.

Jarro
23rd June 2008, 08:29 AM
Gary at Nudgee is pretty good too ;)

goonie
23rd June 2008, 10:41 AM
Jarro, Leigh, John - So what do lessons cost for these guys, and whats there teaching style, eg are they technical, visual or feel.... type teachers if you know what I mean.

leighthebee
23rd June 2008, 02:03 PM
vico is around 50 for half an hour. not cheap but i think he's still rated top 50. anywhere else I'm guessing is pretty much 40+ anyway.

first lesson is an hour with a rough video to show where you are and what you'd like to get too.

very visual. you hit, he'll suggest a fix, improvement, change etc.

he will be spot on. a change made will be for the better.

at least that's my experience. :-)

jaybam
23rd June 2008, 02:22 PM
Ditto to what Leighthebee said but first lesson is about 70 and does the same. Video and goes for an hour he first lesson :)

Jarro
23rd June 2008, 05:22 PM
goonie, gary is $40 per 1/2hr.

He pretty much just sees what you've got and points out fixes.

goonie
25th June 2008, 11:10 PM
Leigh is Vico - Mark Victorsen, Not John?

markTHEblake
25th June 2008, 11:15 PM
John has been at Headland (Buderim) for well over 30 years, but yeah he is Vico too
Mark has been at Pacific for i think nearly as long :-)

goonie
25th June 2008, 11:52 PM
Strange the Pacific GC website says they are both at Pacific?
http://pacificgolf.com.au/proshop.htm

markTHEblake
26th June 2008, 12:52 AM
Thats Johns son, thats why he goes by John M

davidp
26th June 2008, 01:28 AM
John has been at Headland (Buderim) for well over 30 years, but yeah he is Vico too
Mark has been at Pacific for i think nearly as long :-)

Mark has been at Pacific for about 8 - 9 years. Before that there was a pro whose surname was Taylor. Can't remember his first name, but he was definitely old school.

I had a so-so experience with Mark quite a fews years ago. He tried to recommend some Henry G's that were 1.5" over standard. They were too expensive, and the swingweights would have killed me.

Things may have changed with Mark though ...

leighthebee
26th June 2008, 03:03 AM
john is Marks nephew.

markTHEblake
26th June 2008, 08:08 AM
I had a so-so experience with Mark quite a fews years ago. He tried to recommend some Henry G's that were 1.5" over standard. .

thats what HG always does

goonie
26th June 2008, 11:44 AM
So Mark is the Man I want then.