PDA

View Full Version : does anyone?

slicer
21st June 2008, 02:01 PM
wondering what you guys use when within 50 metres from the green?
always seem to catch the fat side of a wedge but some mates use up to 9 iron?and how far should i be aiming on the green? 1/3 of the way to the pin?

Johnny Canuck
21st June 2008, 02:29 PM
depends on how fast your greens are, slope, etc...

if you can bump and run, the lower the club, easier the shot.

i really love my wedges so i will either use my 60 or if i want a little bit of run, i'll hit my 54 and play it a little forward so that i don't put too much spin on it.

you would be best to head out to either a non-busy practice green or play a round late in the day when no one is around and experiment and see what works for you. i was struggling from 30m a few months ago and i went to my normal course in the early evening and hit tons of shots until i found what worked best for me.

if you are catching your wedges fat, try not to scoop or hit up on the ball so much, move it a bit back in your stance and hit a little more down on the ball.

Moe Norman
21st June 2008, 05:02 PM
putter

SupaSubi
21st June 2008, 05:05 PM
many courses use raised greens, for water management i believe, which makes bump and runs a little tricky... that being said sometimes when your under the trees you don't get a choice, lol.

i usually use a 58 to most pins or a 52 if i want run.

slicer
21st June 2008, 06:57 PM
so mostly try to pitch and run then?
alot of the greens im used to are fairly quick and hard
has anyone played at cranbourne private?

Grunt
21st June 2008, 07:37 PM
I also use my hybrid around the greens too.

Colin
21st June 2008, 10:28 PM
From 50 metres in, I'd most likely use my lob wedge, to be able to get the ball to stop on the green (greens around here are like concrete, usually)

That said, if the situation calls for it, I'll use anything in the bag, like the hybrid for around the green, or a 7 iron for a bump and run if the front of the green is open...

Col

virge666
24th June 2008, 08:39 PM
wondering what you guys use when within 50 metres from the green?
always seem to catch the fat side of a wedge but some mates use up to 9 iron?and how far should i be aiming on the green? 1/3 of the way to the pin?

Lob Wedge

**** the wrists and Take hands to Hip Height and just swing through as normal. 45-50m

Flowergirl
24th June 2008, 10:00 PM
Hiya Slicer :)
My best advice to you is to use whatever gets you closest to the hole. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to play a lob wedge - probably one of the hardest shots to play. Great if you are a low handicapper but for us mere mortals it will probably cost us valuable shots. The rule is - if you can putt it - putt, if you can't putt - chip and run - if you can't chip and run - then pitch.
Too many players think that the shot has to look like a pro. A simple chip and run - use a sand wedge if the hole is right on the front - 9 iron will make it run a bit further - 7 iron further again. Get used to making the same length swing but change the club you use to increase the distance. This will help you get some consistancy.
Also practise keeping your eyes looking at the spot where the ball was and not where it is going. Usually if you look up - there's not much worth seeing!!

Keep it simple and you will shave shots off your score.
Good luck. :)

Grunt
24th June 2008, 10:48 PM
Great advice FG, only wish I could follow it.

slicer
25th June 2008, 12:30 AM
great advice guys thanks.. will try to keep head down more !!
was starting to think that all you guys are pros !!
do many of you guys play in the winter?
i like to play when weathers better but of blue sky!!
tired of club going further in the wet !!