PDA

View Full Version : More forgiving irons - advice

chappy1970
18th June 2008, 12:19 PM
I have been hitting the ball OK recently, in fact on a quick look at Golflink I have only drifted out 1 shot in nearly 2 years, but due to my limited golfing schedule at the moment I am finding the Precept Tour Premium's a little more difficult to use than in the past.

I was at a driving range last night with a mate and he has a set of the TM RAC LT irons and I was having a hit of his 4 iron and I have to say it felt sooooo much better than the Precepts do. I found that the flight of the ball was a much more to my liking (lower) and even seemed to gain a few yards.

So I'm now in a quandary, what to do: persist with the Precepts or find something a little more forgiving.

I might even ask my mate if I can take his bats out for a game to get a better idea of performance.

Any thoughts team???

Chappy

BrisVegas
18th June 2008, 12:27 PM
There's something to be said for having confidence in your irons. Go to some demo days and see what's out there that works, especially in the mid & long irons.

Jarro
18th June 2008, 12:54 PM
Keep your Precepts for when you get the confidence back ;)

I have a set of R7TP's and they are really forgiving.

If it's super-forgiveness you're after though , you might wanna go down the Ping route :shock:

oz
18th June 2008, 01:25 PM
What shafts were in the LT's? Always a big factor, IMO.

chappy1970
18th June 2008, 01:28 PM
I don't think that I am after Super forgiveness, just a little more than the Precepts are giving me

chappy1970
18th June 2008, 01:29 PM
S300's Oz, I have S400's in my Precepts

PeteyD
18th June 2008, 01:41 PM
You can get Macgregor M685s pretty cheap these days (on the bay). Worth a look. Mine came with Rifle Flighted 5.5's in them. Forged with plenty of forgiveness.

Toolish
18th June 2008, 01:46 PM
Interesting that a lighter shaft produced a lower ball flight. Maybe your shafts are too heavy and you are trying too hard to power them and flipping a bit to launch it? Have to tried a reg shaft recently?

chappy1970
18th June 2008, 01:56 PM
Haven't tried Reg for a long time Toolish, I've made a big emphasis on a smooth swing recently and rarely if ever really go at it.

Jarro
18th June 2008, 02:03 PM
Reg is probably the way a lot of us should go ;)

BrisVegas
18th June 2008, 02:15 PM
seeing as everyone else is recommending something, I'll suggest 704.CB Titleists. They're forgiving, workable, durable, cheap, forged, blah blah blah

I like em anyway.

Webster
18th June 2008, 02:31 PM
Reg is probably the way a lot of us should go ;)

Yes most choppers should be using softer shafts.

kpac
18th June 2008, 02:37 PM
i've converted to reg shaft, driver, so far so good.

Chris32
18th June 2008, 04:45 PM
I agree with the reg. shaft opinion, I've been playing a set of 755's with DGSL R300's for a few months and haven't hit anything better, they are awesome. Pretty forgiving, but you can still feel where the ball is coming of the face and easy to work.

I Tried some Ping Eye 2's for a while, and Nike Pro Combo OS's, but didn't like the feel of either of them. The Pings were pretty good though, didn't like the Nike's much at all.

Try find some 704's with R300's, they would be dirt cheap and easy to trade/sell

oz
18th June 2008, 10:23 PM
I am about to make the conversion to regs. I played a few rounds with cheap hire clubs recently, all with regs, and really found I lost nothing, and gained better ball flight. I am still a touch skeptical, though, so I'll be bargain basement shopping for a while.

chappy, I have Mac M565's and they are very, very forgiving, but with no offset and forged heads, they feel pretty good. Mine are Rifle Lite 5.5's, and play fairly stiff. If you can find them, they are cheap as dirt. Mine will go on sale when the aforementioned reg shaft experiment is complete.

chappy1970
19th June 2008, 01:41 PM
Anyone hit the Titleist 690CB's?

miro
19th June 2008, 01:57 PM
Yep used to own a set of both the CB and MB's. I don't think the CB's could be classified as forgiving in any material sense.

chappy1970
19th June 2008, 02:23 PM
May be I'm not after a more forgiving club, maybe I'm just being influenced by all the club ho's around here and am after a change.

Many years ago I used the 962b's and loved them, probably played my best golf with them actually. As has been mentioned wouldn't mind checking out the 704's or the 690's CB.

BrisVegas
19th June 2008, 02:31 PM
poidda has owned Carnegie Clarks, Mizuno blades, 690's, 704's and 735's in the past year so he might be worth asking....

Chris32
19th June 2008, 02:55 PM
I have a set of 690's with PX5.5's in them. Good clubs, the 755's are easier to hit.

Mostly the shaft is the differance though, PX's are punishing when you aren't hitting it well!

Flowergirl
19th June 2008, 03:25 PM
You don't need new clubs - just have another baby. Oh - you already are!!!! Well you can't afford new clubs then.:mrgreen:

chappy1970
19th June 2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks FG, due within the week

kpac
19th June 2008, 03:56 PM
poidda has owned Carnegie Clarks, Mizuno blades, 690's, 704's and 735's in the past year :roll:

Toolish
19th June 2008, 10:52 PM
690 CB would be pretty much the same as the Precepts with regards to forgiveness.

chappy1970
8th July 2008, 03:44 PM
Anyone here had any experience with the Bridgestone CB's

Jarro
8th July 2008, 03:47 PM
A few OzGolfers have used them recently (jaybam,Peter_rs)

They aren't that forgiving if you listen to those guys

3oneday
8th July 2008, 04:03 PM
Bladiest looking cav I have seen.

peter_rs
8th July 2008, 04:56 PM
Whatever the J33 are great they just weigh a tonne

Jarro
8th July 2008, 05:10 PM
Yeah, very heavy irons :(

virge666
8th July 2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah, very heavy irons :(

They are standard weight . . . what am I missing ?

Jarro
8th July 2008, 05:23 PM
You sure they're standard weight ?

I've gone from the J33 combos to the R7TP's (both S300's) and the difference in weight is quite noticeable

virge666
8th July 2008, 05:28 PM
You sure they're standard weight ?

I've gone from the J33 combos to the R7TP's (both S300's) and the difference in weight is quite noticeable

Yeah mate - exactly the same as my Mizuno's. The 695 CB are also the same weights.

The only difference would have been the shaft.

leighthebee
8th July 2008, 05:33 PM
I went from

RAM blades which I loved and wanted to get some more forgiveness
to
Titleist 981's which at first I hit sweetly then missed as much as the blades
to
Titleist 704 cb's which at first I hit sweetly then missed as much as the 981's
to
Taylor RAC CB's which I am still hitting reasonably and improving my swing.

Basically the more forgiving the iron, the lazier I got on my swing. Now that I'm back playing a reasonably tight stick, I know I need to concentrate and put a decent swing on the club. This works for me and is my opinion only

jaybam
8th July 2008, 08:28 PM
The bridgestones are the most pure feeling irons i have hit for a long time but found without practicing as much as i used to i am struggleing with them. No forgivness but when your on they feel awesome :)

BrisVegas
9th July 2008, 08:40 AM
I went from

RAM blades which I loved and wanted to get some more forgiveness
to
Titleist 981's which at first I hit sweetly then missed as much as the blades
to
Titleist 704 cb's which at first I hit sweetly then missed as much as the 981's
to
Taylor RAC CB's which I am still hitting reasonably and improving my swing.

Basically the more forgiving the iron, the lazier I got on my swing. Now that I'm back playing a reasonably tight stick, I know I need to concentrate and put a decent swing on the club. This works for me and is my opinion only

:lol: I hear ya brother. I went 845 blades -> Raven blades-> Titleist DCI 762 -> Titleist 704.CB... Each set progressively easier to hit and I hit them all just as bad after a while.

I've thought about going for something slightly less forgiving again after hitting Jono's MP32's recently, but I can bet I'd be looking for shovels again soon after...

virge666
9th July 2008, 08:58 AM
I've thought about going for something slightly less forgiving again after hitting Jono's MP32's recently, but I can bet I'd be looking for shovels again soon after...

The 32's are very hard clubs to play with, they look the business, I don't don't know too many players who played them for a long time. Hence the reason they are cheap and the line was quickly replaced/superceded.

The 32's and 30's were nice ideas, but the feedback from the clubface was either awesomeness or your hands felt like they were going to fall off. The distance control was pretty ordinary with even the slightest mishit.

But . . . There are heaps of clubs out there as "players cavities", They have thin toplines and low bouce soles and good lofts so you can flight the ball with spin, not that horrible wooden feeling that seems to be in all the chunky clubs.

J33
MP60, 67 (57's are also wooden)
RAC TP MB and CB and TP2
Hogan APEX Edge Pro and FTX
Titty 690 CB
Wishon 550c (cost nothing and are sensational)

Just to name a few. You can have good forgivness and great feel. You just have to match them up. Try a lighter shaft if you like a longer shaft also with these clubs to maintain good feedback from the head.

Enjoy

rick3003
9th July 2008, 09:36 AM
Have to disagree there. The 32's are a very easy for a blade. I have played plenty of players cavities and dont reckon the 32's are any harder to hit. BTW the 67's are not a cavity - they are even more blade like than the 32's.

I wouldnt say they were quickly superceded either - if anything they are one of Mizunos longest and best selling clubs.

Toolish
9th July 2008, 11:37 AM
The 32's and 30's were nice ideas, but the feedback from the clubface was either awesomeness or your hands felt like they were going to fall off. The distance control was pretty ordinary with even the slightest mishit.

Don't diss the 30's! Are they really that different to the 60's? Maybe I just flush it so I only get to feel the awesomeness side of the scale :D

kwantfm
9th July 2008, 01:44 PM
Have to agree with Rick. I've basically played the 32s since they came out. I haven't found a set of irons that outperforms them and I don't find them particularly penal. Seems to me that the 32s took a while to be superceded. The 33s (probably Mizuno's most legendary blade) wouldn't have had a much longer shelf life.

virge666
9th July 2008, 02:12 PM
Boys,

Relax - I am part of the Mizuno cult too.

You can check Maltby's playability factor, the PCS, Golf Lab and a few others and they will all tell you that the MP32 ain't that good of an idea.

The logic sort of goes like this. (BTW: I played MP32 for 6 months in 3 different shafts)

The cut muscle takes weight from the heel and moves to the toe. Seemed to work well for cavs, the idea was to bring that cool move to the blades. The trouble is that they found that it worked better in a full cav instead of the blade. MP60 and 57. There were a few proto's before th 60 came out - looked very weird.

anyway . . .

Blade players miss to the heel. And blades are actually more forgiving for a heel hit than cavs ! So people who would play the 32 were blade players. Heel hits on the 32's are not as good as the blade. So most of their better players played MP37 and bypased the 32. I think Donald played them for a couple of months but he went back to the 37's. Azinger also played them for a while.

So if you are a blade player that misses on the toe - MP32 are pretty good for you.. well as good as a blade is for a toe hitter.

The new 67 is slightly different - they have bulked up the bottom of the blade (Lower COG) and THEN added the cut muscle. I have a 6 and an 8 iron and they feel pretty damn good - but for mine lighter shafts feel better than S300.

For comparison - next time we play - you are more than welcome to compare the 60's and 67's I have to your 32's. You will see the same sort of flight, but much less twisting at impact.

The 67's will be my next set when I find a cheap set floating around.

Toolish
9th July 2008, 02:17 PM
So why did you throw the 30's in there with the 32's...same issues?

Maybe we should hunt for a group buy on the 67's!!

rick3003
9th July 2008, 02:25 PM
Boys,

Relax - I am part of the Mizuno cult too.

You can check Maltby's playability factor, the PCS, Golf Lab and a few others and they will all tell you that the MP32 ain't that good of an idea.

The logic sort of goes like this. (BTW: I played MP32 for 6 months in 3 different shafts)

The cut muscle takes weight from the heel and moves to the toe. Seemed to work well for cavs, the idea was to bring that cool move to the blades. The trouble is that they found that it worked better in a full cav instead of the blade. MP60 and 57. There were a few proto's before th 60 came out - looked very weird.

anyway . . .

Blade players miss to the heel. And blades are actually more forgiving for a heel hit than cavs ! So people who would play the 32 were blade players. Heel hits on the 32's are not as good as the blade. So most of their better players played MP37 and bypased the 32. I think Donald played them for a couple of months but he went back to the 37's. Azinger also played them for a while.

So if you are a blade player that misses on the toe - MP32 are pretty good for you.. well as good as a blade is for a toe hitter.

The new 67 is slightly different - they have bulked up the bottom of the blade (Lower COG) and THEN added the cut muscle. I have a 6 and an 8 iron and they feel pretty damn good - but for mine lighter shafts feel better than S300.

For comparison - next time we play - you are more than welcome to compare the 60's and 67's I have to your 32's. You will see the same sort of flight, but much less twisting at impact.

The 67's will be my next set when I find a cheap set floating around.
Far too much info for mine. Pretty sure Donald still plays the 32's.

virge666
9th July 2008, 02:39 PM
So why did you throw the 30's in there with the 32's...same issues?

Maybe we should hunt for a group buy on the 67's!!

The MP30 was a dead copy of the basic cavity done by everyone. Mizuno wanted a Cav - so they built one. Yawn . . .

as for Donald - I see him wearing 32 kit and clothes but I always see him with 33/37. But I think I saw him with 32 very early last year.

Anyone know what he had at the open and the masters ?

rick3003
9th July 2008, 05:05 PM
Donald's bag at the open.

virge666
9th July 2008, 05:57 PM
Donald's bag at the open.

Well then - he is back with the 32's . . .

doh.

:)

miro
9th July 2008, 06:06 PM
Lots of 32's on balls going cheap at the moment.

virge666
9th July 2008, 06:12 PM
Lots of 32's on balls going cheap at the moment.

Great place to buy Mizuno...

Any 67's ?

kwantfm
9th July 2008, 07:47 PM
37s were on Proshopwarehouse... should have got some.