PDA

View Full Version : Golf Courses without full length practice areas?

gaetan
12th June 2008, 06:50 PM
Hoping to call on the collective experience of the members here ...

I need to compile a list of golf courses that specifically includes details about the size/length of their practice area/driving range. Initially this list needs only to include courses in NSW. So ...

If anyone can contribute I'd really appreciate it. All I need is the course name and your estimate of the practice area length (either by length or the longest club you can hit a full shot with).

Thanks in advance.

Gaetan

sms316
12th June 2008, 06:53 PM
You want ACT?

gaetan
12th June 2008, 07:06 PM
Yes, ACT would be great. In truth I ultimately need to expand this list to include VIC and QLD as well but I just didn't want to ask for so much straight up when we're only going to be able to physically act on the NSW/ACT courses in the first instant. So, anything from the eastern states will be welcomed.

Cheers

Gaetan

sms316
12th June 2008, 07:12 PM
Gold Creek - 300+
Gungahlin Lakes - 300
Yowani - 220
Royal Canberra - 270
Federal - 220
Murrumbidgee - 280
Queanbeyan - 200
Goulburn - 260

gaetan
12th June 2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks SMS, obviously plenty of space down there...

TS
12th June 2008, 07:30 PM
Long Reef - 175m, irons only

goughy
12th June 2008, 07:55 PM
City Golf Club Toowoomba. 150 to 160mtrs to the rough on the left of the 17th. Can hit driver in the early mornings when no one is coming up the 17th. And the range is quite up hill.

Courty
12th June 2008, 08:32 PM
Cairns GC - Probably about 250m at the moment, but that may be shortened when the new fence goes up.

Half Moon Bay GC - no range.

Paradise Palms - currently about 250m but they're losing it to residential development.

jimandr
12th June 2008, 08:41 PM
Grunt will be able to help a bit, because he plays a lot of different courses, but he never practices, so maybe he can't answer.

Jono pays more attention to practice facilities than the course itself, so he should have some handy info.

As for me, I've played lots of places, and usually cast the practice area a cursory glance, so my info may not be reliable, but from memory, here goes:

Camden Valley - about 160m
Camden lakeside - about 230, but very wide - the best practice area in the SouthWest
Campbelltown - not sure, but quite long, and severely uphill, so the distance doesn't mean much
Liverpool - about 220
Cumberland - 120m?
Ashlar - 120m?
Dunheved - 150? (3oneday would know)
Castle Hill - 200 ish
Strathfield - 150ish

Far more places have no practice area to speak of. I dare say most of the short courses in Sydney have no practice area at all.

gaetan
12th June 2008, 08:50 PM
Indeed, I have to also list courses that have no real practice area to speak of. It is these, and the courses with relatively small/short areas that I have to contact re our free demo days. Unfortunately my knowledge is really limited and only covers the inner area of Sydney. Thanks for the lists so far.

Gaetan

Andrew
12th June 2008, 08:52 PM
Is it worth getting on Google Earth & doing some measuring ?

It will take some time, but will be more accurate.

gaetan
12th June 2008, 08:57 PM
We have done a fair bit of that with earth and maps but when we have no knowledge of a particular course, we can't be sure that vacant areas are actually used for practice or not. Mind you, it was an easy way to chew up a lot of time, albeit enjoyable. A virtual tour of the country's golf courses.

Gaetan

Andrew
12th June 2008, 08:59 PM
Magenta Shores..limited to 8 iron.
Kooindah Waters..nothing.
Who designs these rubbish courses with no real practice fairways? Bet they're the type that scab free games everywhere.

gaetan
12th June 2008, 09:00 PM
Magenta Shores..limited to 8 iron.
Kooindah Waters..nothing.

It was actually Kooindah Waters that has accelerated our demo program. As of three week ago they are now running a BirdieBall range for members and corporate days on the 70 metre square grasses area next to their warm up nets.

Scottt
12th June 2008, 09:01 PM
Gaetan: I reckon you should donate a % of your company's profit from the outcome of this research back to OzGolf. Just an idea, not being smart or anything.

gaetan
12th June 2008, 09:06 PM
Not a bad thought. I would like to contribute when possible. At the moment our contribution has been limited to some prizes for this year's champs.

burger
13th June 2008, 02:02 PM
All care but no responsibility for details stated here

Riverside Oaks - about 140-160m
Coonabarrabran: just go out when no-one is on the course, putting green only
Muirfield: sfa chipping green only I think
Lane Cove: about 160m between 1st and 7th
Chatswood: Nets only
Bayview: Nets and short area, ask Jono
Gordon: nets only, Check with the fishman
Oatlands: short area only & nets
Nelson Bay: Good Range, looked pretty long
Wentworth Falls: Chipping green about 60m
Windsor: ask 3oneday
Naremburn: Chipping green 60-70m?
Cromer: Netted area 10m

stu

sms316
13th June 2008, 02:08 PM
The Murray;

Albury - 160m (but narrow)
Thurgoona - 250m
Corowa - 220m
Howlong/Yarrawonga/Cobram - stuffed if I can remember.
Rich River - 220m

BrisWesty
18th June 2008, 02:33 PM
Caboolture - 120m or so near the 1st tee, 180-190m along the 13th (former 13th fairway), not meant to hit driver, but it's OK if no one is playing the hole.