PDA

View Full Version : Road Test: Titleist Pro V1 vs MaxFli XS Distance

Fishman Dan
5th November 2004, 09:24 AM
Price: Pro V1 - $8.50 per ball. XS Distance - $2.50-$3

Played late yesterday, teed up on the 9th which is a par 5, with a right-bend. Now, if i've ever hit 2 similar drives, it was yesterday. Playing with a Pro V i found, pretty good nick, and an XS Distance that's been in my bag for about 2 years.

Pro V stepped up to the tee. Beautiful connection, slight fade and landed fairway-left negotiating the bend. Didn't have anything to measure, perhaps 230-240 metres? Not important really in the context of this test.

XS Distance next on the tee. Same shape on the ball and caught every bit of it. Pitched in the rough and nestled into the tree line.

When I got to the balls, and I kid you not, the XS Distance was about 15-20 metres further down the track - and that was after pitching in the rough. :shock:

So save your bacon for the bar fellas, all that marketing has gone to your bonse :wink:

Jarro
5th November 2004, 09:28 AM
you sure you just weren't a little more warmed up with the 2nd swing Fishy :roll:

there are lots of cheaper balls around that perform just as good, if not better than the ProV1's and others ...

.. it;s just finding out which ones they are.

I've tried the NXT Tour/Distance balls and they go almost as far as the ProV's .. at a fraction of the cost

What's you natural ballflight like with the driver Fishy :?

3oneday
5th November 2004, 10:06 AM
Fairdinkum, nice comparison :P

Fishy, to be quite honest, I use a Pro V1. There are a couple of issues with your comparison:

1 - the feel of the two balls is like chalk and cheese, a better comparison for feel would be hitting a rock, and hitting a tennis ball.
2 - a ball that has been in the bag for 2 years, god only knows how that is feeling now - no more on that subject.
3 - yep, you would expect 15 to 20 metres more from a distance ball then a Pro V, I get about 10 extra with a 5 iron. Not the reason you would use a Pro V. In fact, IMHO, a Callaway HX Tour is also longer than a Pro V.
4 - The reason you don't see pro's using a XS whatever, is the playability around the green, ie, XS Rocks could never be described as spinning their ttts off. Couple this with a better feel off the clubface, more distance control due to a better made ball, the ability to stop the ball on a hard green, things that simply aren't possible with a rock.

Your comparison is one of apples to oranges, sorry.

Pete

Fishman Dan
5th November 2004, 11:10 AM
I've tried the NXT Tour/Distance balls and they go almost as far as the ProV's .. at a fraction of the cost

Went further ;)

What's you natural ballflight like with the driver Fishy :?

Ball flight is generally pretty high when i get it right, have a tendency to balloon when i block them.

Fairdinkum, nice comparison :P

Thanks, i like to help people ;)

1 - the feel of the two balls is like chalk and cheese, a better comparison for feel would be hitting a rock, and hitting a tennis ball.

Agreed, but an XS Distance isn't quite your B51 XD or Hot Dot.

2 - a ball that has been in the bag for 2 years, god only knows how that is feeling now - no more on that subject.

:P In all seriousness, it's from a box given to me 2 b'days ago, that's been at the bottom of my ball-bag... no, hang on, can I say that?

4 - The reason you don't see pro's using a XS whatever, is the playability around the green, ie, XS Rocks could never be described as spinning their ttts off. Your comparison is one of apples to oranges, sorry.

Ab-so-smurfly. However that doesn't mean us choppers share the same equation. I had a think yesterday - i've got decent touch around the greens, i generally put it to 1-putt distance (whether i make that putt is another thing), but i can do that with a Pro V, a MaxFli Revo II, or an XS Distance.

Your comparison is one of apples to oranges, sorry

Don't apologise, but to mid-high hackers i don't think they'd care which they'd prefer - they're both fruits ;)

3oneday
5th November 2004, 12:19 PM

Agreed, but an XS Distance isn't quite your B51 XD or Hot Dot.

:P In all seriousness, it's from a box given to me 2 b'days ago, that's been at the bottom of my ball-bag... no, hang on, can I say that?

4 - The reason you don't see pro's using a XS whatever, is the playability around the green, ie, XS Rocks could never be described as spinning their ttts off. Your comparison is one of apples to oranges, sorry.

Ab-so-smurfly. However that doesn't mean us choppers share the same equation. I had a think yesterday - i've got decent touch around the greens, i generally put it to 1-putt distance (whether i make that putt is another thing), but i can do that with a Pro V, a MaxFli Revo II, or an XS Distance.

Your comparison is one of apples to oranges, sorry

Don't apologise, but to mid-high hackers i don't think they'd care which they'd prefer - they're both fruits ;)

Yup, you wrong.

Hot dots are fine :P

markTHEblake
5th November 2004, 03:18 PM
I know that those blessed with the higher handicaps often prefer a distance over feel golf ball. But these are the same people that are amazed at the spin better players get even on a chip shot.

I seriously that the higher handicapprs would be far better off using a golf ball that helps the short game. However also need to take into account the relative cost and many used per round which can be harsh.

Thats why the Ladies golf balls were so successfull.

andylo
5th November 2004, 04:00 PM
I know that those blessed with the higher handicaps often prefer a distance over feel golf ball. But these are the same people that are amazed at the spin better players get even on a chip shot.

I seriously that the higher handicapprs would be far better off using a golf ball that helps the short game. However also need to take into account the relative cost and many used per round which can be harsh.

Thats why the Ladies golf balls were so successfull.

Can't fully agree with you here Blakey.

Usually balls help the short game has higher spin (and also a little more expensive due to multi-layer in most cases) But with higher spin ball it also has the threat has stronger side spin :lol: So the hook and slice would become power hook/slice :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think high capper should stick with distance ball (or 2 piece balls) but nowadays with the technology advantage the 2 piece and multilayer balls difference is not as significant :)

markTHEblake
5th November 2004, 04:36 PM
I didnt really mean spin rates - i was more referring to the softer covers. Spin rates dont have much affect on a 6 metre chip :-)