Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    For me getting an extra shot on some holes is a massive psychological relief.
    You say in a later post "Isn't golf supposed to be fun?"

You're stressing out way too much over something you don't do for a living, and ironically i bet it's not helping your scores. Leave the worries and ulcers for the pro's and be happy just to be out there and alive. There are plenty that don't even have the opportunity to play this wonderful game.

Anyway welcome the forum, your post has certainly kept the forum chirping. Don't take anything too harshly early on, i'm sure you will slide into the ozgolf way of life in coming weeks.

P.S. Are you a club thrower?
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping S159 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

So Dotty your happy to play off a phoney low handicap?
    PS The slagging of our apathetic population comes from politicians , Professors of Politics and political commentators Aus wide just quoting them. Not as an insult but as a general fact. This was particularly evident in our last federal election as the system was manipulated by paid experts to win seats in the Senate for drongos (thru preference deals) who got a handful of votes.
    Why you may ask two dog was because the population on mass could not be bothered to take 10 minutes to fill out the Senate ballot paper properly which would have eliminated them.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Jumbuck, use the reply with quote function so people know which post you are replying to.
    General rants are never aimed at anyone in particular

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett View Post
    General rants are never aimed at anyone in particular
    Except the one that was addressed to Andy, even though my last post was two pages ago.

Lefty, My hardening up days are well behind me. (that doesn't sound right!) I mean I copped enough bumps and bruises from footy and cricket to last me a lifetime (funnily enough I still have some). Though I did go to the beach today and had a quickish swim (bit cold) does that stand me in better stead as a hard guy or as my neighbour sitting on my kayake said you're f'ing stupid.
    It's the first time anyone has ever called me buttercup - don't mind that at all. (I usually get dickhead, numbnuts or donut) I think it shows the softer side of Lefty.
    I never said I expect to shoot my handicap ever week. Me thinks you are one of those people that only hears what he wants to hear. Once again I think I'm right!
    If your happy playing off your PHONEY 2 handicap God bless you. ( not that I believe in God but you might) I'm not. So in this instance we are both right.
    I thought golf was supposed to provide enjoyment for the average smuck. The last time I had 40 points I had 2 lessons went to the range twice that week thinking (dreaming) of better things to come. Not to mention the super good mood!
    You and Simon M want to deprive me of this small enjoyment in my last years. Our wives are experts at this guys must band together to defeat them and Simon!
    I'm begging you to reconsider your position for the sanity of middle and old age male golfers in this country.
    OK I've lost it - just had my wife looking over my shoulder wanting to know who Lefty was!

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

PS The slagging of our apathetic population comes from politicians , Professors of Politics and political commentators Aus wide just quoting them. Not as an insult but as a general fact. This was particularly evident in our last federal election as the system was manipulated by paid experts to win seats in the Senate for drongos (thru preference deals) who got a handful of votes.
    Why you may ask two dog was because the population on mass could not be bothered to take 10 minutes to fill out the Senate ballot paper properly which would have eliminated them.
    I filled in the entire senate ballot paper below the line, but I'm definitely apathetic about my golf handicap.

In response to your post, I sat down and thought about this, and decided to vote informal next time.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

No, I'm happy to play off a phoney high handicap.

I don't play to it every game, but I keep putting my name down each week, in hope that next game will be the one. When I do I am happy and my playing partners are happy for me, even the OzGolfers, when I had 4 over off the stick.

Wow.

btw. My sole purpose for voting is to nullify wbennett's vote. It's my right under the constitution, mabo and the vibe.

ps. My attitude to new outspoken members is the same as to someone walking into a bikie pub and declaring that everyone should refrain from alcohol and buy a Prius.
    Last edited by Dotty; 14th September 2014 at 11:20 PM.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Jumbuck, a couple of questions:
    What is your current handicap?
    What do you think your handicap should be?

If your "phoney" low handicap affects your enjoyment of the game so much, just have a few bad rounds until your handicap goes out to what you think it should be. Then you will enjoy your golf again.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    No, I'm happy to play off a phoney high handicap.
    ps. My attitude to new outspoken members is the same as to someone walking into a bikie pub and declaring that everyone should refrain from alcohol and buy a Prius.
    Yes our opinion of you hasn't changed either! Let the man have an say without being personally attacked. This place needs a few new outspoken golfers imho! Agree or disagree just great to see newbies with passion. Dotty once told me about this place is no different from your golf club where there are certain members you dont engage with!
    BTW. JB do you have an opinion on Gay Marriage in the other thread?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I might be simple but I can't see how the old system produced "less phoney" handicaps took literally years at .1 back to recover from a purple patch of 3-4 exceptional rounds.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    I have purposefully remained ignorant of DSR, how it is calculated and what it means when the value varies. That way, when I'm on the course I have no idea if I'm likely to be sitting on a winning score, and I don't really care. I know if I'm playing well or not though - that's a completely different thing.
    I tried to understand it and gave up. Go out on a tough day and play good golf, come in and find the DSR is 2 shots under the course rating, then on calm sunny days with easy pins its two shots over.
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    Yes our opinion of you hasn't changed either! Let the man have an say without being personally attacked. This place needs a few new outspoken golfers imho! Agree or disagree just great to see newbies with passion. Dotty once told me about this place is no different from your golf club where there are certain members you dont engage with!
    BTW. JB do you have an opinion on Gay Marriage in the other thread?
    This thread is another case of a new person coming on here and going against the status quo in an aggressive way. This included fire-up statements such as 'Secondly Aussies are too slack, lazy and generally can't be bothered on mass to get off their collective "you know whats" to complain.'

As seen before, when the long-term members defend themselves and the community against the attacker, the newbie starts crying 'victim' and that he is being picked on by the old boys.

The foundation of his post was contradictory, saying it was unfair to be handicapped for a round that was low, because that day the stars aligned. The only problem is that two more rounds in the 70's soon followed it, and he still didn't want to them to influence his handicap, under the new system.

Ironically, I posted evidence in post #50, where a single 'stars were aligned' round had a bigger impact than it would under the averaging system. But that post was conveniently ignored, as it brought down the original argument and paragraphs of distracting calculations.

I'll repeat it ...
    In 2005, under the original system, I had 47 points one day and my handicap dropped from 16 to 11.
    In 2014, under the latest system, I had 44 points one day and my GA dropped from 8.9 to 8.4 (playing handicap 11 to 10).
    Interestingly, I didn't play to my handicap the next game, and my GA went to 9.4.

CT, I have re-read my 6 posts in this thread and none of them contain a personal attack. All of them are about my experiences and evidence that contradicts Jumbuck's hypothesis. At no stage have I addressed Jumbuck personally, but kept it on topic. It is his replies that have ignored discussing the content of my posts, turning to baiting and a bizarre off-topic rant about election conspiracies.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I played a two person ambrose on Saturday.

. It is his replies that have ignored discussing the content of my posts, turning to baiting and a bizarre off-topic rant about election conspiracies.
    So he is fitting right in then?

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

The OP is a troll. Probably Jaybam.

btw. My sole purpose for voting is to nullify wbennett's vote. It's my right under the constitution, mabo and the vibe.
    I am voting Liberal next election.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Blog Entries

I'm need to change electorates. I don't think we have a Labor candidate.

On the plus side, being in Phil Ruddock's electorate, I see the posters everywhere and imagine that I'm voting for Monty Burns.

Isn't he dead yet?

As for the new handicap system, yes, your GA is artificially low.
    Changing for slope took me to roughly where I was.

And now I have 8 flags in my next ten. My 4 shot blowout over the next two months will be an accurate reflection of the form I am in.

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Palmer not doing it for you anymore???

As for the new handicap system, yes, your GA is artificially low.
    Changing for slope took me to roughly where I was.

And now I have 8 flags in my next ten. My 4 shot blowout over the next two months will be an accurate reflection of the form I am in.
    Pulling up for camps??

Blog Entries

Isn't he dead yet?
    Been around a bloody long time. He was the local member for Parramatta, when I was at school in the 70's.

As for Benno's and my handicap history, sometimes he is a couple of shots higher, after I've had a run of good run of scores. Other times, I get the 2 or 3 shot advantage, due to his recent good form.

At no stage were any of our games a burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The OP is a troll. Probably Jaybam.
    Now to be fair Jack, I did ring Blackwood GC and ask if they had any "members who can't play to their handicap due to insufficient mental abilities" and the bloke said that they have a few, but couldn't name names as he was "too slack, lazy and generally couldn't be bothered to get off his you know what to remember who they were".

I said "All good mate, I'll get a Senate inquiry going to find out who they are".

"Whoa, you don't want to go there! It's full of drongos who only got there due to preference deals because of paid experts manipulating the system. I know I SHOULD have taken the 10 minutes of my life to fill out all 108 boxes below the line at the last election, and done the required 45 hours of studying each individual candidate to make sure my vote is being cast in the best possible way for my interests, but, ya know, that whole slack, lazy, and generally couldn't be bothered thing comes in to play again. By the way, what do you play off?"

"I'm off 2, but we all know that was a 4 under the old system, and that's all that counts, right? So I'm a bit of a phoney".

"Yeah, I never even bothered to get a GL handicap under the new system. I prefer the old system and don't want to tarnish my old 11 handicap by dropping a shot or two and becoming 'one of the single figure players who would never be there without the new system'"

"I commend you, that's a great moral stance to take."

"Yeah, but I'll let you in on a little secret, it was actually due to the thought that I would have to play in the club matchplay the next week against a C grader who's handicap didn't move while mine would've come in shots".

"Wait, your club plays A graders against C graders!?"

From there the conversation disintegrated into club throwing abilities, small field country clubs and how exactly we felt Simon Magdulski should be presented with his MBE for services to Australian Golf.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Blog Entries

You should have asked whether Madboarder now plays at Blackwood GC.

If you have ever had the yips and using one keeps you playing well they are fantastic.
    Peter Alliss the English commentator was a Ryder Cup player as I recall - had to give it away because of that dreaded little word.
    Try not to ever acknowledge it - like advertising it can't effect you if you don't look at it!

I am

So I take it I can't rely on your support in this matter!
    By the way I never said I expect to play to my handicap every week. Good old Lefty made that up to make a point.
    Under the CCR your handicap was a little more realistic. In my case the lowest I ever got to was 10.4 for one week only.
    The point I think I was making looking at my last 100 rounds was that there was lots of high 80' and plenty of 90's. Hardly fitting to play off 6 and 7.
    I have been playing off 9 for the last couple of months and all I need to have is 4 rounds of 34 and 4 of 33 as my best 8 and hey presto I stay on 9. Now if that is not manipulation to make me look better than I am then I'll go he!
    As far as toughing up buttercup goes - not interested! I moving into the last years of my life - I'm not 20. I want life to be as easy as possible. If the macho Lefty's of this world think it's character building or whatever good luck to him> It is plainly idiotic - as John Wayne would say "Go to Hell!!"
    PS Where do you find the clapping smiling faces? There good!

Thread Information