Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Member Monthly medal winner

LOL smarter, love it

i for one don't really have an opinion on whether golf should be in the olympics - another big event where all the big players are playing as an avid spectator is 100% a plus - but with nobody showing up i wont be interested in watching

being it's not the event they train their whole lives to play in and it's dangerous as balls down there (zika included) I would assume practically nobody would be going, jason, jordan and rickie will be next.

the golf course, like every golf course (with water hazards etc) is a great breeding ground for mosquitos

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

The bigger issue for the Olympics (not Golf so much) is how many spectators will actually turn up in Brazil. It has the potential to be a massive financial disaster, in a country that probably couldn't afford, it even if it is successful.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

The bigger issue is will it even be ready to go ahead? It was only weeks ago some infrastructure built for the games was collapsing. Plus other stuff isn't even finished yet with only a few months to go.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Surely most of the infrastructure they can just re-use from the World Cup?

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    The bigger issue for the Olympics (not Golf so much) is how many spectators will actually turn up in Brazil. It has the potential to be a massive financial disaster, in a country that probably couldn't afford, it even if it is successful.
    While you weren't referring to golf in that post, I think the attendance at the golf event is an issue that very few have thought about.

It would be a poor look to have the best players in the world playing for the gold medal in front of hardly any spectators, but how many are they likely to get in Brazil? It depends on the ticket price I suppose, but I wouldn't think many locals would be prepared to pay much, and the tourists wouldn't be thinking about golf when planning their Olympic experience. The crowds might be quite good next time the Games are in a golf-playing nation, but they may not be.

I've also just had a horrible thought when thinking about the Olympic Golf. Who will do the commentary? I wouldn't think every country would send their own commentary team in the same way as they do for most other sports, but does that mean we would have to put up with Johnny Miller yelling GOLD, GOLD TO THE USA, GOLD. Hopefully, there will be a neutral and impartial commentary team, but it would be awful if there wasn't.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

G-Mac out now too...

Insert witty tapatalk signature here.
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Welcome timah.

Nice first post.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlover View Post
    Welcome timah.

Nice first post.
    A new member would have missed this.

It's now pre-set on the sign-up page.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Brendan Grace pulled out as well

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The whole olympics in general will be a fizzer!

Doing a google search using the term Olympic Withdrawal isn't the most reliable method of obtaining information, but I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

From my search, it appears the only people withdrawing from the Games, allegedly due to the Zika virus, are male golfers and male USA basketballers.

Which tells me those golfers and basketballers didn't want to play in the first place, and they are using the virus as a convenient excuse. It certainly seems that once one makes the decision, many others follow.

Maybe none of the female athletes are planning to have babies, ever, but it seems very strange that none of the high profile women in any sport are making themselves unavailable. Not even the married ones such as Sally Pearson.

And, reading between the lines, Jason probably won't go either. Which leaves the current team as Scott Hend and Marcus Fraser. Yikes!
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Doing a google search using the term Olympic Withdrawal isn't the most reliable method of obtaining information, but I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

From my search, it appears the only people withdrawing from the Games, allegedly due to the Zika virus, are male golfers and male USA basketballers.

Which tells me those golfers and basketballers didn't want to play in the first place, and they are using the virus as a convenient excuse. It certainly seems that once one makes the decision, many others follow.

Maybe none of the female athletes are planning to have babies, ever, but it seems very strange that none of the high profile women in any sport are making themselves unavailable. Not even the married ones such as Sally Pearson.

And, reading between the lines, Jason probably won't go either. Which leaves the current team as Scott Hend and Marcus Fraser. Yikes!
    The golfers and basketballers don't need the games. Without the olympics, what do the others have? Is tennis still an Olympic sport? They might be next.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Golf Australia has just announced JDay is out...
    WITB (27/12/2022):Titleist TSR3 10 (Tour AD-DI 7S), Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Tour AD-95R), Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi (Project X U R), Titleist T300 4-P (DG AMT R), TItleist SM8 50.12, 54.8, 58.8 (DG), Scotty Cameron Monoblok 6.5 (35”, LA Golf Soho)

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

How many of the top 10 or 20 golfers are actually going?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMc View Post
    Golf Australia has just announced JDay is out...
    It was only a matter of time.

Most of the Olympic athletes only really have the world champs and Olympics to really make their mark, and with any luck set themselves up for the future. For the others, the Olympics is an after thought.

Most of them are probably more concerned with making it through the opening ceremony alive.... The stadium could quite easily collapse, based on the quality of some of their other constructions.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Most of the Olympic athletes only really have the world champs and Olympics to really make their mark, and with any luck set themselves up for the future. For the others, the Olympics is an after thought.

Most of them are probably more concerned with making it through the opening ceremony alive.... The stadium could quite easily collapse, based on the quality of some of their other constructions.
    As "they" said about Sydney and Athens.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post

I guess it would be hard to do but I'm surprised they haven't postponed it given all the bad press about the various issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    As "they" said about Sydney and Athens.
    (Insert host city) is in a race against time...

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    How many of the top 10 or 20 golfers are actually going?
    T10: Day(out), Spieth(undecided), DJ(in-for now), McIlroy(out) Stenson(in), Bubba(in), Rickie(undecided), Scott (out), Willet(in), Rose(in)

T20: Sergio(in), Grace(out), Reed(dunno), Oosthuizen(out), Koepka(dunno), Matsuyama(undecided), Kucher(in*), Furyk(dunno), Zach(undecided), Mickleson(dunno)

All the undecideds have mentioned health concerns when asked.

The dunnos are Americans who are outside the T4 in T15 who I can't find a comment from.

All those ins can't all be in - there's only a certain number allowed per country

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    All those ins can't all be in - there's only a certain number allowed per country
    I think the top 15 are automatically in, and there's a max of 4 per country if they have more inside the top 15. Or something like that.

Sally Pearson didn't want to use the same excuse as everyone else so she's torn her hammy to keep her out of Rio!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

From http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games...cation-system/

The IOC has restricted the IGF to an Olympic field of 60 players for each of the men’s and women’s competition. The IGF will utilise the official world golf rankings to create the Olympic golf rankings as a method of determining eligibility. The top-15 world-ranked players will be eligible for the Olympics, with a limit of four players from a given country. Beyond the top-15, players will be eligible based on the world rankings, with a maximum of two eligible players from each country that does not already have two or more players among the top-15
    So for the men, the current top 15 is:

1 Day AUS (Out)
    2 Spieth USA
    3 Johnson USA
    4 McIlroy (Out)
    5 Stenson SWE
    6 Watson USA
    7 Fowler USA
    8 Scott AUS (Out)
    9 Willett GBR
    10 Rose GBR
    11 Garcia SPN
    12 Grace RSA (Out)
    13 Reed USA
    14 Oosthuizen RSA (Out)
    15 Koepka USA

So that would mean for USA it would be Speith, Johnson, Watson, Fowler - no-one else would be allowed. That means a max of 8 of the top 15 will be playing (unless the T15 changes to bring in some non-US players, or anyone out changes their minds).

16 currently is Matsuyama of Japan, so he'd be in, but 16-20 are from the USA so they wouldn't. So max of 9 of the top 20.
    Last edited by coalesce; 29th June 2016 at 12:21 PM.

Thread Information