Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: 2015 PGA Tour

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Icestorm959 View Post
    Nah i understand how the system works, I just think its a crappy system, but eh Im not in charge so whatever, heh.
    Why? It's the PLAYOFFS, not the end of season wrap up. You make it to the final 30, you have a chance to win the FedEx cup. You're just more of a chance to win it if you are in positions 1-5. There, the prospect is simple, win the Tour Championship, win the lot.
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Playoffs should be match play.. if you playing off you should be playing off against each other.. not the course.

Quote Originally Posted by timah! View Post
    Why? It's the PLAYOFFS, not the end of season wrap up. You make it to the final 30, you have a chance to win the FedEx cup. You're just more of a chance to win it if you are in positions 1-5. There, the prospect is simple, win the Tour Championship, win the lot.
    Either have a proper playoff cup format, where everyone has a mathematically equal chance to win, and it is just dependent on skill over the four days, or a proper league type format, that rewards players for having been consistent throughout the season.
    The current system is contrived and bastardised - it is unfair for the lower seeded players because the odds are mathematically stacked against them, and it is unfair for the 1st seed because if you are going to have a mathematically unfair system, you should have better protection from the 2nd-4th seeds, especially if there is daylight between you and the 2nd-4th players (and why is it the top 5 get to play for everything anyway, arbitrary much?).

Quote Originally Posted by aym View Post
    Playoffs should be match play.. if you playing off you should be playing off against each other.. not the course.
    Agree with this also.

Blog Entries

Either have a proper playoff cup format, where everyone has a mathematically equal chance to win, and it is just dependent on skill over the four days, or a proper league type format, that rewards players for having been consistent throughout the season.
    The current system is contrived and bastardised - it is unfair for the lower seeded players because the odds are mathematically stacked against them, and it is unfair for the 1st seed because if you are going to have a mathematically unfair system, you should have better protection from the 2nd-4th seeds, especially if there is daylight between you and the 2nd-4th players (and why is it the top 5 get to play for everything anyway, arbitrary much?).
    I don't think you get it. There are two tournaments going on. There is the 'Tour Championship presented by Coca Cola', of which any of the 30 players have the chance to win, just like any other tournament. Separately and additionally, there is effectively a bonus competition (not a tournament) in the FedEx cup. IT is not equally stacked so that those who have played the best during the season have a chance to be rewarded for that. But handing over $10mil to the guy in front after the second last tournament doesn't make for an exciting final event. The top 5 are given the advantage over the rest of the field. If the top 5 stink it up, then it becomes more complicated.

I don't think you get it. There are two tournaments going on. There is the 'Tour Championship presented by Coca Cola', of which any of the 30 players have the chance to win, just like any other tournament. Separately and additionally, there is effectively a bonus competition (not a tournament) in the FedEx cup. IT is not equally stacked so that those who have played the best during the season have a chance to be rewarded for that. But handing over $10mil to the guy in front after the second last tournament doesn't make for an exciting final event. The top 5 are given the advantage over the rest of the field. If the top 5 stink it up, then it becomes more complicated.
    I get it. I'm talking about the Fedex Cup (the bonus competition). Either its not stacked enough, or its too stacked. Where it is right now - is a crappy system.

They should turn the last tournament into a 32 man Match Play event.
    The previous tournaments and fedex points determins your place and seeding into this event so the top four avoid each other until the semi finals. Winner takes all.

Otherwise have all the previous tournament's points be valued properly without this ridiculous "indexing" that happens before the last tournament.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

They should turn the last tournament into a 32 man Match Play event.The previous tournaments and fedex points determins your place and seeding into this event so the top four avoid each other until the semi finals. Winner takes all.Otherwise have all the previous tournament's points be valued properly without this ridiculous "indexing" that happens before the last tournament.
    Matchplay is even more of a lottery!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Matchplay is even more of a lottery!!!
    Thats my point, either have it not be a lottery, or make it into a proper fair lottery, not this halfway house system going on.

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Thats my point, either have it not be a lottery, or make it into a proper fair lottery, not this halfway house system going on.
    I think u are confusing yourself......

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

It is a contrived competition for television. Why care about it?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    It is a contrived competition for television. Why care about it?
    Stop making sense PD.

We already have a matchplay event which people hate when Matt Kuchar or Hunter Mahan wins it, and we've just seen a ladies matchplay event with a pace of play so slow it was painful. And we'll see another one in a few weeks time where the pace of play might be even worse.

The trouble with any golf playoff system is that we want the best player to be rewarded by winning, but we don't want him to have already won before the final playoff event, like Tiger did once. I don't have the answer, and frankly, I don't really care. I do want to see the best players playing, though, and we have that using this system, so it will do me.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Blog Entries

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Does anyone know where J-Day will have to finish this week - assuming that he doesn't win the Tour Championship, and neither do Spieth, Rickie, Stenson, or Bubba - for him to still claim the FedEx and the massive pay day?
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Does anyone know where J-Day will have to finish this week - assuming that he doesn't win the Tour Championship, and neither do Spieth, Rickie, Stenson, or Bubba - for him to still claim the FedEx and the massive pay day?
    here you go mate - http://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/2015/09/20/tour-championship-scenarios.html

Haha. This is why the arbitrary re-basing before the final event is such a bad idea. Without it, Stenson would be miles behind Day, Spieth and Rory

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    I read somewhere this morning that technically he can still finish 29th and win it! Granted, a lot of stuff would have to fall right for that to happen.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

If any of the Top 5 win, they win the Fedex Cup. 6th (Zach Johnson) can also do it technically, but it is a long shot. If none of the Top 5 win, JD needs to probably finish top 15, and in front of Speith. I am sure we will get all the permutations on the white board on the weekend!

Check out these BLOODY AWESOME quotes from J-Day in his press conference at East Lake. Brilliant...

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jaso...NzYyNTMzOTY1S0
    Last edited by FuzzyJuzzy; 24th September 2015 at 08:51 AM.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

How cool is that, gotta smile, no almost laff out loud he's that cool at the moment, good luck to him

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Stenson can win the Fedex Cup coming second and pocket 10 million without a win for the season and become the ultimate loser for 2015.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Stenson can win the Fedex Cup coming second and pocket 10 million without a win for the season and become the ultimate loser for 2015.
    Technically he wouldn't be without a win because he'd have won the Fedex Cup. It is still a competition he has entered this year

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    correct no wins however 3 top 3's, 7 top 10's and $4.1M in prizemoney so far, not a bad losing streak

And of course he's leading the pack at -7....

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Any one seen details if Day could loose the #1 depending on who comes where this weekend?

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Nice moz Coca Cola......

Thread Information