Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

So any head will do? What about all the heel biased weighted clubs out there now, not much use to a drawer of the ball. What about different heads that produce different spin rates? ie 905S verses 905R, you think they will perform the same to a high spin player? I think you have missed the point of 3oneday's post.

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Anyone else apart from Jack hit the MX-500 ?
    The MX500 is still in my bag, and is by far the best titanium head driver I have ever hit. I reckon it might have something to do with the shaft though, its a Harrison Mugen S flex that feels pretty darn sweet..

Of course the old gear was way, way better to play with, and at the top of the tree was the Cleveland Classic Persimmon head in 10*, fitted with an S300 cut to 43 inches, a bit like this one:

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    I think you have missed the point of 3oneday's post.
    The point is when someone buys a new driver, is because they want to hit it further.

When was the last time you heard someone say " i got this new driver, it goes shorter and i love it"?

Virge hits the nail on the head. Most drivers go the same distance, the difference in the heads determine how far and straight an off centre hit will go, with wildly differing results according to the golfers technique.

Oh, and for mine - it was Prosimmon Hotshot 10.5 deg (prob a 100cc head) with regular steel shaft that i borrowed from a mate for one round. I hit three personal best drives that day that i never got close too in another 6 years of playing that course - all 300m+. Should never have given it back.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 10th March 2008 at 07:15 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Original post was "best driver you have ever used", not longest. The longest driver I have hit had a 48" shaft but I couldn't keep it on the golf course, therefore not the best. True a COR of .83 will give the same ball speeds for the same clubhead speed if both were hit on the max COR spot, but as spin and launch angle play a huge part in what is the best driver for each person than a different head has to suit different people. I have been through the Titleist science vans fitting program and had it proven to me, the same shaft in different heads gave widely varying results in spin, distance and accuracy.

Senior Member Major Winner

So any head will do? What about all the heel biased weighted clubs out there now, not much use to a drawer of the ball. What about different heads that produce different spin rates? ie 905S verses 905R, you think they will perform the same to a high spin player? I think you have missed the point of 3oneday's post.
    No I haven't missed the point at all...

You are a decent golfer and you know that you can pick up pretty much any driver out there and within 2 or 3 swings get it going where you want to. I would expect you have found a driver that suits your swing and you don't go searching for something that isn't there. You also probably have your hands ahead of the ball at impact so the "feel" of the club is going to be a lot better as the shaft is working properly.

In my experience, people who go searching for drivers cannot understand the simplicities vs the marketing. Let's take your two examples... head weighting and spin rates.

Head weighting - still nothing really proven in a retail club, Wishon says you have to move 35grams to get any effect, and few others say you need more. With a TM R7 - you can move about 20grams. If you want draw bias, by a club that is one or two degrees closed, and a four year old can see when a club head is closed. Titliest usually make squarer clubs - TM usually make closed clubs - especially in Fairways and Rescue's.

Spin Rates - this is an easy one - use the shaft and loft to control your swing weights. Not enough spin - go for a lighter shaft or more loft, too much spin - heavier shaft or less loft.

The other MAJOR, MAJOR, HUGE factor is that what it says on the club RARELY is what the club actually is. I can show you easily 30 shafts that say one weight and be another - or say Stiff and a X or Reg. I can show you heads that say 9.5 degree and they are 10.3, or 13 degree fairway woods that are 17 degrees. How about an 93 gram X flex fujikura that is really 75grams and stiff. And this was from the Tour Van.

The other option is to BUY the DEMO, if you go to a range demo day and you find a top driver - buy it !, not that model, THAT club.

So, while the fine tuning is a wonderful thing - and something that CAN be done - it should be done by going to a professional club fitter and getting him to do that job. Not by buying 15 drivers a year, hoping that the next one will be "The One".

Go and find a head you like the look of - that sounds OK at impact and then go and FIND the right loft, length flex, and weight. then be done with it. Go and spen your money with a good teacher and get the handicap down.

Enjoy
    Last edited by virge666; 10th March 2008 at 07:28 PM.

Original post was "best driver you have ever used", not longest.
    Most golfers associate best drivers with longest, and thats what they want when they look for another one
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Virge, I agree on all your points except the way to control spin. The club head plays a huge part in the amount of spin on the ball. Agreed heavier shafts and less loft will reduce spin but will also change the swingweight of the club and the launch angle. I will admit to changing drivers too often and usually that has resulted in poorer driving. As you say get a good teacher and spend your money with him: That is exactly what I have done and he is the one who told me to get a 905S or 425TP as these heads will reduce spin rates and stop the balloning ball flight, this is from a guy who coaches a USPGA and Nationwide tour player, obviously an opinion I respect.

Virge, I agree on all your points except the way to control spin. The club head plays a huge part in the amount of spin on the ball. Agreed heavier shafts and less loft will reduce spin but will also change the swingweight of the club and the launch angle. I will admit to changing drivers too often and usually that has resulted in poorer driving. As you say get a good teacher and spend your money with him: That is exactly what I have done and he is the one who told me to get a 905S or 425TP as these heads will reduce spin rates and stop the balloning ball flight, this is from a guy who coaches a USPGA and Nationwide tour player, obviously an opinion I respect.
    Cheers,

The clubhead is the most important way to control spin, but it depends on what level you are at.

Low markers should worry about spin rates - but if you are off double figures - loft is way more important. And most double figure makers are at least 2 degrees to low.

I won my club champs with a 13.5 degree driver. It was a Precept Fuel driver that I bought for $30 on eBay. I stuck an 85gram X flex shaft in it and I think I hit every fairway except 2 over the last 2 days of matchplay. It was about 20m shorter, so I hit 8 iron instead of pitching wedge. Still hard to bogey a hole with 8 iron in your hand. I still have it and use it as a 3 wood.

I reckon golf at my level is about making less mistakes - not about making birdies. Especially on my course which if I hit my driver on every par 4 - I would have 9i or less into the hole (125m)

Enjoy
    Last edited by virge666; 10th March 2008 at 07:59 PM.

Ok you 3, shorter posts and longer drives ?

The reason for the post was to see what people are using, I have a boredom issue and like to try different stuff. The thing that I see is that none of the newest stuff is getting mentioned.

The SUMO was/is one of the best drivers I have used but I wanted to try a more conventional looking one... now I'm thinking XLS non tour, that's not so conventional....

More drivers, less long winded stuff please

Banned

Lol i agree. I go through a few drivers (not as many as you lot) but still enjoy putting a new toy in the bag. Love trying different gear and also like to change the look in my bag. Plus the new headcovers always look better than the old ones hehehehehe.

More drivers, less long winded stuff please
    Can't do it - not in my nature.

The Longest driver recipe.

You will need a swing speed of about 100mph to get this working. Works for people who flip the club too. Especially "flip - drawers".

OK, grab a Ping G5 8.5 degree. Grab a 45-55gram shaft - X flex or Stiff at the very least.

Now, shave about 1/2 an inch off the hosel of the G5, the bore is quite deep, use an angle grinder or just a and hacksaw. Once you have done this - you MUST clean up the cut and smooth it out, otherwise any sharp edges will cut through the shaft. This is done to lighten the head.

Attach the shaft to the head and trim it to 47 inches.

OK - now grab some lead tape and place 2 rings around the shaft at the bottom of the grip, and place 3 rings around the shaft at the top of teh grip. Put the required number of wraps on the grip and put your grip on.

Depending on grip and wraps - should be about D2-D3.

Longest driver I ever made . . . not just in swing speed - but in ball speed and that is where the magic is.

Enjoy

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Can't do it - not in my nature.

The Longest driver recipe.

You will need a swing speed of about 100mph to get this working. Works for people who flip the club too. Especially "flip - drawers".

OK, grab a Ping G5 8.5 degree. Grab a 45-55gram shaft - X flex or Stiff at the very least.

Now, shave about 1/2 an inch off the hosel of the G5, the bore is quite deep, use an angle grinder or just a and hacksaw. Once you have done this - you MUST clean up the cut and smooth it out, otherwise any sharp edges will cut through the shaft. This is done to lighten the head.

Attach the shaft to the head and trim it to 47 inches.

OK - now grab some lead tape and place 2 rings around the shaft at the bottom of the grip, and place 3 rings around the shaft at the top of teh grip. Put the required number of wraps on the grip and put your grip on.

Depending on grip and wraps - should be about D2-D3.

Longest driver I ever made . . . not just in swing speed - but in ball speed and that is where the magic is.

Enjoy
    Still has it? wanna sell it?

grab a Ping G5 8.5 degree.
    so now you're telling me a Chinese copy is the best driver you've ever used ?

Works for people who flip the club too. Especially "flip - drawers".
    Pick me, pick me, pick me !
    --
    Handy-Cap

In my experience, people who go searching for drivers cannot understand the simplicities vs the marketing.
    Oh, I'm sure they understand. But the majority of golfers on this forum get off on buying shiny new gear clubs.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

mmmm, shiney!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Could he have meant a G2???

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

HiBore XL with V2 ProForce MOI S Flex... very sweet and not moving from my bag any time soon.

I am keen to try the HiBore XLS but am not expecting any difference really.
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

shiny, new shiny new ...

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

rusty, dinged scuffed KZG Gemini, marvellous. Like the missus, gets better with age.
    --
    Handy-Cap

R510 TP. 18 drives past Golfer69 can't be wrong!

Tried a Callaway X460?
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Nope - I am a Nike kind of guy now. Gives me the right kind of numbers.

But I have NEVER hit anything longer than that Ping - I sold it to 55 year old low marker that played at The Lakes. Has had it in his bag for about 18 months.

As I said - just find a head and experiment with the head... pull out shafts are very cheap.

goughy

I have a G2 with vista tour shaft. It's the best driver IN THE WORLD!!!!!!

Unfortunately I am the worst at using it

Nike Sq (2006 model) stock Nike Diamana shaft

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Nike Sq (2006 model) stock Nike Diamana shaft
    Fugly

Thread Information